The online racing simulator
Quote from Victor :I didn't expect this to be an issue at all :/

When there isn't much to blow out of proportion...it's the little things, lol.
This is actually what people want. Contact from the devs, not just silence. We appreciate posts like these.
I have a laptop but according to Passmark it's 1.5 times as powerful as Victors example. When all cores are used! Performance really drops when only one core is used like LFS is doing at the moment.

If you buy the right laptop it doesn't necessarily have to perform below desktop machines. A lot of people decide to buy a laptop and forget to look at the GPU specs but that is a completely different story. Midrange priced laptops are not performing less if you spend money right so maybe it's not a good idea to constantly focus on the non existant under performance of laptops.

The unjustified and destructive posts of some forum members should really stop. All this negativity is unfair to the developers and unfair to the LFS fans.

It may well be frustrating being "obliged" to wait for a long awaited update but venting your frustration in the most outragious possible way on the forum will not really help, not even slightly...
The devs have always made pertinent progress reports. Scawen in particular is doing everything he possibly can to make good progress. As Victor pointed out, the challenge Scawen is facing is not to be taken lightly.

It is rather childish to pressure him to release unfinished things. The last thing you want is for an update to be rushed through, resulting in a mess some software developers get into. In my opinion Scawen is a perfectionist and thank God he is. LFS wouldn't be so good if it wasn't for that continious pursuit of perfection.

I also find it unjust and immoral to reduce the LFS developers to "PatchMachines". They are working hard and with passion to improve LFS further and in return they get they get the "megatrolluberlolinyourfacewearealldoomed" treatment. It doesn't feel right which is why I posted this rant.

Personally, I have always been pleasantly surprised by LFS updates. Never has an LFS patch disapointed me and I still adore 0.6B to bits. As long as the LFS devs are "on the ball" I will remain supportive.
I personally do not think being unfair in my previous posts. I am a big fan of LFS, since I know LFS, I opened an free Team, open multiple server and even opened a company to allow racers to rent a quality servers at low cost. asked LFS how many S2 + S1 I bought for the community.

but it's true that I have thought the Devs have forgotten us
Quote from xtraction :i agree with this quote 100%.. I dont think they want to waste their time releasing updates when there isnt much activity anymore. I dont think they get that if they do release one, many more will return.

They dont even take the time to mix it up and muddle in with the people that are dedicated and keep their sim going, even though its outdated. They post progress reports, ban people from forums and lock threads.

If you sum everything up, its an abomination.. but hey, LFS is still a great sim because of the freedom we are given.

I'll not return, i'm off to C.A.R.S. devs love the feed back, better graphics, better tracks, and better physics.
You can only kling on to a hope for so long.
Its a shame but thats life.
Quote from Victor :No. The development is really not that interesting for most people. It's just maths, maths and more maths. Very dry. It's not like there are fancy graphics used or so. And a video would just show scawen banging his head into the desk trying to figure things out. (ok that might be fun to watch)

How about a video of them heating up when they skid or something. or are u not that far yet.
I speak for all the experienced young (ok there aren't many of us...) LFS players when I say I started LFS on an 866mhz PIII with 512mb RAM SD ram and a GeForce440mx...and it worked sodding perfectly, but I think to be fair, that was almost 10 years ago...The cheapest of the cheap little dells netbooks you can buy today are ~1.6-1.8ghz single or dual core with around 1gb ram-so I think that not quite so many shortcuts are required. But still, keep up the good work, I think to be honest for graphics we're sorted, what with Lynce and others doing total remakes of textures to produce one beautiful game it truly is the only game I can think of where the players have developed the looks and then the back room with the utter legends-the Devs. Now please, stop moaning at them, they're doing a damn good job, I'd get lost at the first line of code.

As for the remark of what does £24 get you nowadays...try eBay And considering that I've persuaded 1 Minecraft/Terraria player (TomTac98) to buy LFS S2 we all need to take that one step, be it your brother, sister, best mate, girlfriend, boyfriend, wife, husband fiancee whatever, get em to buy LFS. More money=Happy devs=coding without sidejobs=yay.
i think everyone know about my pc problems

if lfs upgrades than im fked
Quote from Waste Me :I'll not return, i'm off to C.A.R.S. devs love the feed back, better graphics, better tracks, and better physics.
You can only kling on to a hope for so long.
Its a shame but thats life.

LFS doesn't have klingons in it...
I don't post often, I haven't even played the game since upgrading my pc and moving to win7 towards the end of last year due to work commitments/lack of time, but I got to admit, I'm still waiting in there for the next version of LFS. I spent a lot of time in the past racing online, going as far back as 2003 and despite not being the best driver out there, I find it really enjoyable and don't feel cheated by the handling compared to other games- the sign of a good game/sim.

I think however, one thing that could happen which I think would quieten down the masses is for Scawen to post up a video showing a comparison of how the physics were and how they are at the moment, warts and all.

The main issue that a lot of people seem to have is that no news is bad news; they're getting squeaky bums.

Even though the team have delivered for the 24 quid that people have spent by running this forum, LFS World etc, in return a lot of people have invested their time and helping to keep the community going, even if it is now the hardcore remaining compared to a few years back.

So if something was shown i.e. the video showing a car taking a bend with the old physics and the same situation with the current build of the physics engine in place, it means that there are signs of life, plus also it will get publicity for LFS; in turn more people will start paying attention to it again. Maybe even get a few more new simmers in which then starts the warm up towards the time when S3 is released.

I'm crossing my fingers that Scawen will have his Eureka moment sometime this year and gets to grips with the physics so we can see where LFS stands against the competition and finally get back in to simmers' hearts again. Plus I want some new cars to skin!
#312 - col
To the idiots harping on about lfs having to work on lower end hardware being the reason physics developments are slow:

The big difficulty that scawen is facing is not getting something that works perfectly on a 3000Ghz system to work perfectly on a 1600Ghz system.

It's getting something that works at 1 fps (probably more like 1 frame per minute) on a 3000 Ghz system and trying to get similar results in real time on even a high end consumer PC. When he gets that to happen, optimizing it to work on a slightly lower end system will be a simple job by comparison.

We're talking about many orders of magnitude here, not just a 30% improvement.
Quote from Victor :I'd like to insert an actual fact into this thread : http://www.lfs.net/?page=rockingham

As you seem fairly misinformed about what we do, here's a summary :
-LFS is not a normal business. We are 3 people who went away from normal business to do things our way.
-We don't have deadlines. Things are finished when they are finished.
-This indeed leads to long development processes some times. This wasn't always the case - you should've been here in the earlier years ago when there was a stream of updates every year.
-But now LFS has developed and matured a lot - it has many many features that people asked for and honestly aside from modding, what is there you cannot do with LFS now? I'm just saying Scawen has worked his nuts off to accomodate everyone. (still feel like we owe you anything? What more does 24GBP buy you these days? Honestly?)
-Now we want to take LFS to the next level by upgrading the physics. I guarantee you, you have no idea of how difficult this is. Give everyone a giant CPU and GPU and sure it's fairly easy to develop a super accurate racing sim. But you know, it doesn't work like that. LFS needs to run on slower machines as well. So shortcuts to better physics need to be found, without producing weird side effects. You go and try that. I wish you all the luck in the world.
-Now the question remains, couldn't we have released the scirocco and rockingham anyway? I guess that was possible. In hindsight at least. If we would have known it would take so long in advance .. but we didn't. There still would have been a big delay in new releases then though, while physics were worked on, so the question remains : what would people be asking for now, if sci and rock where already released 4 years ago.
There is no use in releasing them sooner now though, because Scawen IS working on the new physics and him taking a break to work on releasing new content will only delay the physics .. again. That stuff needs to be done. It needs to get out of the way. Scawen needs to be able to tick that off his list. Then that incredibly difficult part of LFS development is done and "simple" stuff can be worked on again. We can't wait to get on with regular development. There are still so many things we want to do!

heres a little pro tip ive learned over the years and pretty much every big game maker does it to keep their games " up to par " with the competition: do the most minor tweaks possible, release them as their little patchs ( sub 4mb or such ) and folks can never complain that its not " updated "... it is... but like you said, it takes time, just dump what you can, as you can, at the folks and im sure their happiness will increase, if only you're work load didn't increase because of this eh ?? *trollface*

also on the topic of pc's and such, i remember running lfs on a 256 AGP card, a Really tired 3.0 ghz single core and 1gb of ram ( the stick said 1gb but im sure it had memory leaks ) Dont under estimate you're pc folks, this crappy i3 with imbuilt graphics barely plays lfs at anywhere near acceptable Fps offline so; Enjoy what you have, nomatter how little or much it is...
Quote from theirishnoob :heres a little pro tip ive learned over the years and pretty much every big game maker does it to keep their games " up to par " with the competition: do the most minor tweaks possible, release them as their little patchs ( sub 4mb or such ) and folks can never complain that its not " updated "... it is... but like you said, it takes time, just dump what you can, as you can, at the folks and im sure their happiness will increase, if only you're work load didn't increase because of this eh ?? *trollface*

In the bold is where your "pro tip" went wrong.
Quote from PMD9409 :In the bold is where your "pro tip" went wrong.

most people qoute the bible for their first world problems, so qoute'n what big game makers do to lfs dev's is equal no ?

Most quote the bible because they are weak minded, so I wouldn't say the devs are weak minded and need quotes/advice from big game makers. If anything that is what they need to stay away from.

Vic answered you anyways saying those small updates would hinder the development of the physics. Sure it could just be content from Eric, but Scawen is still the main man to code it all in. I wish it was back to the days from pre-2008 when we had updates every 3-6 months, however it isn't and to be quite honest a physics update is much needed.
Hey Victor, I have a question about S3. You may be asked this lots, if so, I am sorry. So, How much % have you developed of S3? Could you make an estimate please? It might make some people feel better. It might even make more arguments if you say a low number.... Lol.
So, Please answer Victor. (Or any of the other dev's.)
Quote from Ingolf :Music to my ears. No need to delay the physics work. Keep it up Scavier. The silent mass is behind you all the way .

+1

On a side note: I have been running LFS on a 2,2Ghz Athlon XP and a Geforce FX5200 (128Mb) for years and it worked like a charm. Except with 200 barriers/tires in a layout xD
It's one of the powers of LFS, as many people can play it without a problem.
Ofcourse we would like HDR, Motion Blur, Multithreaded rendering, real time reflection maps, etc etc. Eventhough we want it badly, there's actually no need for at all (yet). It's the physics engine that makes it what it is. Which is good, and can only get better

Keep up the work devs.
Quote from Waste Me :I'll not return, i'm off to C.A.R.S. devs love the feed back, better graphics, better tracks, and better physics.

And no multiplayer. End of story.
Quote from Gougoodthing :How much % have you developed of S3?

If I mix this for you. You have to tell me exactly when you think you finish. And while you are busy, tell me how much progress you are making.

Developing is not baking a cake with a known recipe.
One thing i would find would be good for all the people wanting S3 but the devs not wanting to release until Physics and other stuff are finished, is something like Project CARS are currently doing, in that they release a few builds here and there, once a month even, which will keep people happy, and shut the other people up...

Adam
Hi Victor,

Thank you so so much for the little update you gave earlier in this thread. I've been with lfs for nearly a decade now and it really saddened me how the development updates have got less & less infrequent. I know the tyre physics being boring calculations are not very interesting to most but it's great to keep reminding everyone that you are all still working away in the background. When Scawen doesn't post a quarter of a year at a time it does make us all a bit worried that you are all losing interest. I can feel as you say there are better times ahead for lfs and S3. I really hope so as lfs has really made me a better driver & racer in every way, and that's with the old tyre physics!

p.s. It's amazing how far a screenshot once every couple of months goes in terms of keeping the community interested and positive. I realise that the screenshot released might never happen as plans change but surely it's better to please the true lfs users that there are exciting times ahead that may or may not happen than to slightly annoy a child when the car doesn't actually come out for whatever reason. (lx8)

It would also be great if Scawen could keep us posted with the tyre maths! It seemed they were nearly done, but then at beta stage problems were found etc If there is any chance he could let us know how many more years we need to wait that would be great. I know it totally depends on many different factors but it would be good to know if the plan is this year or next or the next 5 etc. I know your working practice is "it's done when it's done" but surely there has to come to a point when they are a massive improvement over the old tyre physics but not quite 100% perfect!

Anyway your post made my day. Please feel free to post something similar again so I can hold on to some hope of lfs improving sometime in the not so distant future!
Devs should really hold their attention at least for a minute reading such posts as above this one. There still are people from early beginning of this sim, from 2003. There is a meaning.
if this game wants to be realistic, it might be time to put the DRS and the KERS for the BF1
Quote from MrSam :if this game wants to be realistic, it might be time to put the DRS and the KERS for the BF1

If this game wants to be realistic, the devs must know that BF1 is a replica of BMW Sauber F1.06, which did not have DRS or KERS at that time.

[Merged] Discussion regarding LFS development
(1577 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG