The online racing simulator
Quote from Victor :Please let's not focus on the hardware issue too much. I was generalising a lot and not mentioning details like "what you need to run for single player" and "what you need for a full multiplayer grid". Of course you need a decent computer to run a full grid with high detail at a constant 60fps.
But there are many people who enjoy a little offline racing for which you don't need a big computer. I know people who still use a p5 for LFS. I'm surprised it still works there at all!

So the hardware thing is very broad. On the one hand you don't need a big computer (single player) but a big computer can get you more from the game (a full MP grid). It's like that in pretty much every game isn't it?

I didn't expect this to be an issue at all :/

Tell me about it. Darn thing deosn't even stall through even the roughest climax of a race. Nobody has even the slightest idea of what hardware im scorching in my rig.
Quote from Flame CZE :If this game wants to be realistic, the devs must know that BF1 is a replica of BMW Sauber F1.06, which did not have DRS or KERS at that time.

You have reasons, but one f1 without KERS ​​and without DRS seems obsolete.

It might be time to be topical!
Quote from MrSam :You have reasons, but one f1 without KERS ​​and without DRS seems obsolete.

If we wanted to have those features of the current F1 cars, it'd be more likely that the devs added another car instead of modifying the current BF1. It's also got a TC, do you also want that to be removed? And tons and tons of "obsolete" things, not mentioning a different chassis. I doubt devs would do something like that.
Quote from Flame CZE :If we wanted to have those features of the current F1 cars, it'd be more likely that the devs added another car instead of modifying the current BF1. It's also got a TC, do you also want that to be removed? And tons and tons of "obsolete" things, not mentioning a different chassis. I doubt devs would do something like that.

can not be, I think LFS does not have enough money to have the right to copy a real F1.
can be modified, the FO8 very similar to F1, just a style turbo, I'd think well already
Quote from cargame.nl :And no multiplayer. End of story.

Multiplayer is being worked on as we speak since a week or so, so your argument is invalid.

To all the impatient people, go buy Project CARS before it closes registrations (2 weeks), its really really REALLY awesome. Just the two mountain tracks that got released today which are 19km and 21km long each are the most fun I've ever had.
I just hope that the S3 will not change too much the "game play" (physic engine).
because currently this is the best that can be found in simulation. I hope that the S3 will not add more latency to the "game play".

And then would be nice too to have real track like Monaco, Spa Francorchamps, etc., but I may be a little too optimistic...
Quote from MrSam :I just hope that the S3 will not change too much the "game play" (physic engine).
because currently this is the best that can be found in simulation. I hope that the S3 will not add more latency to the "game play"..

It's important to know that S3 is not going to be a graphics or physics change as it was with S2. S3 will be only a content package with additional cars and tracks. The graphics, physics and other kinds of development will be released as global updates to LFS, not as an 'S' stage.

So do not expect any physics changes only to S3, it will be a global update to LFS.

(Quoting this post by Scawen)
Victor,

Thanks for the reassurance that work is continuing on the new physics. As it is, I think LFS is the best sim for the money and maybe the best regardless of cost.

P.S. Please get Scawan a bike helmet or something so that he doesn't hurt himself banging his head on the desk.
Quote from Flame CZE :It's important to know that S3 is not going to be a graphics or physics change as it was with S2. S3 will be only a content package with additional cars and tracks. The graphics, physics and other kinds of development will be released as global updates to LFS, not as an 'S' stage.

So do not expect any physics changes only to S3, it will be a global update to LFS.

(Quoting this post by Scawen)

wow, well is a long time to get some tracks and cars...
Quote from kimd41 :Multiplayer is being worked on as we speak since a week or so, so your argument is invalid.

It's not there. Period.

Like in ALL NFS releases by the way. Hopelessly behind, this studio. For years.
Quote from dadge :yeah, it was just an example of how much we actually have in LFS compared to a much bigger title that keeps churning out the same stuff but with more eye candy. RF2 is the next sim racers addition. I've never bought into the iracing thing. So for me, RF2 is a must buy.

i agree with you 100% there. Ive bought iRacing and its a great experiance driving real cars on real tracks. As you said RF2 is a must buy, but i dont like all the mods you must install if people make them. Dirt is just an arcade game with some flashy graphics, its only good if you have some friends round with a few beers just to pi** about on
Quote from Alric :Hi Victor,

Thank you so so much for the little update you gave earlier in this thread. I've been with lfs for nearly a decade now and it really saddened me how the development updates have got less & less infrequent. I know the tyre physics being boring calculations are not very interesting to most but it's great to keep reminding everyone that you are all still working away in the background. When Scawen doesn't post a quarter of a year at a time it does make us all a bit worried that you are all losing interest. I can feel as you say there are better times ahead for lfs and S3. I really hope so as lfs has really made me a better driver & racer in every way, and that's with the old tyre physics!

p.s. It's amazing how far a screenshot once every couple of months goes in terms of keeping the community interested and positive. I realise that the screenshot released might never happen as plans change but surely it's better to please the true lfs users that there are exciting times ahead that may or may not happen than to slightly annoy a child when the car doesn't actually come out for whatever reason. (lx8)

It would also be great if Scawen could keep us posted with the tyre maths! It seemed they were nearly done, but then at beta stage problems were found etc If there is any chance he could let us know how many more years we need to wait that would be great. I know it totally depends on many different factors but it would be good to know if the plan is this year or next or the next 5 etc. I know your working practice is "it's done when it's done" but surely there has to come to a point when they are a massive improvement over the old tyre physics but not quite 100% perfect!

Anyway your post made my day. Please feel free to post something similar again so I can hold on to some hope of lfs improving sometime in the not so distant future!

Good post Alric, my thoughts exactly! Kudos to you Victor for taking the time to respond. A little regular update now and then from you or Scawen would go a long way and would be much appreciated!
Quote from cargame.nl :It's not there. Period.

Like in ALL NFS releases by the way. Hopelessly behind, this studio. For years.

Theres no smiley or image that can express how much I facepalmed. The multiplayer code has been started from scratch, and I'm pretty sure this time they will do it corretly since they dont have to rush it.
Quote from edge3147 :Right and because Scawen and Crew are such good developers and well known people, I am sure they are the first people Rockingham went to about this. I would bet money, that Rockingham already had a laser scan of the track and offered it to Scawen and Company for a price.

Scawen has already said, publicly, that no money changes hands in any of their licensing deals one way or the other. The companies do not pay Scavier and Scavier does not pay the companies. Rockingham happened due to a mutually beneficial agreement between the two parties that had nothing to do with one giving the other any money.
"Life is too short to finish S3"
Quote from Danas :WE are the people who pay for playing

I would think that Rockingham is licensed, commercially to use LFS. And if they are not, I would think it's because we get their track, and we don't have to pay an extra license for it. Also, none of us where meant to know about Rockingham's involvement with LFS until S3 dropped, one of the private testers let a screen shot slip, and all hell broke lose on the forums so they had to divulge it's existence.

Although, I would gladly pay 12 GBP right now to be able to use VWS and Rockingham right now with the current Tyre physics. Because it's still a damn sight better then anything else I've seen, and I can race with a MOUSE!
Quote from Victor :No. The development is really not that interesting for most people. It's just maths, maths and more maths. Very dry. It's not like there are fancy graphics used or so. And a video would just show scawen banging his head into the desk trying to figure things out. (ok that might be fun to watch)

1) will S3 support multiple cores?
2) will support DirectX 9.x?
3) at many universities, people working on the optimization calculation (mainly for use in industrial processes - PLC) - among them might be fans of LFS, who helped to free?

ad.3) friend wrote her PhD thesis on the optimization calculations, for this you need a mathematician who is familiar with the programming
I'm glad Victor has dropped the angry stoic behavior for the diplomatic, very clarifying and relieving way, but that's two years late already…
He said that they don't have deadlines, but are they aware that the world evolutes during all that time? 4 year is too long, if it takes 4 years more, they'll be OUT.
#344 - e.M
#345 - tpa
We paid for s2 licences and unless they stated in any terms and conditions that they guaranteed a release of s3 then theres no obligation for them to do it and if they didnt want to release it there would be nothing to stop them telling us..many people still enjoy s2 and many still come and buy s2 licences so i dont think lfs is dead in that sense and i believe rockingham will be released someday
All valid points, but, I don't like silence.
Quote from cargame.nl :And no multiplayer. End of story.

Yet! read the up dates, they even let you know how many identified bugs there are.
I love LFS its in my heart but time moves on as do Sims, some times it may be easer to write a new Sim from scratch.
If he guys pull it out the bag of course ill look back, but ether way for the enjoyment they have given me i will always thank them.
Quote from edge3147 :I just don't understand why LFS is good enough for the actual track to run obviously current versions of LFS WITH Rockingham, while the rest of us who helped fund and create this game with our license purchases get to sit back and wait and wonder.

Obviously if it was good enough they would have released the track already. Did anyone here actually play it at Rockingham and can vouch for the realism of the track at the time of the event?

For all we know, it could have had the worst arcadey feel ever - something I'm sure most people here would be getting their panties in a twist about it if it happened once it had been made publicly available.
Quote from Yuri Laszlo :Obviously if it was good enough they would have released the track already. Did anyone here actually play it at Rockingham and can vouch for the realism of the track at the time of the event?

For all we know, it could have had the worst arcadey feel ever - something I'm sure most people here would be getting their panties in a twist about it if it happened once it had been made publicly available.

It changes nothing with the physics, so the cars would drive they drive right now. It is only a track update. But I have to live with the devs choices, so I will stop my participation in this thread now, glad Victor came and said something tho =)

[Merged] Discussion regarding LFS development
(1577 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG