The online racing simulator
C.a.r.s.
(968 posts, started )
So all i need to do is reupload this video i did from shift 2 and call it C.A.R.S then i have played the game
Edited the first post. You my want to read that pdf file I found on their site. Looks like they have already pretty good idea what they are going to do with this game...
Quote from PMD9409 :
On paper it can seem like a good idea, but someone with more money than brains could come in a ruin it for most of us.

This is a good point. What if Sheik Mohammed Junior & Sheik Hussain Junior decide they like the idea of creating there own arcade racer instead of a simulation. A few rich people could screw 1000,s of other investors with one crazy idea.

On the flip side you could find enough like minded people & create a syndicate, giving you more clout than you could normally afford.

Looks like someone has brought politics & money into sim racing.
Some more video action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... p;feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... p;feature=player_embedded

Some reading.
Quote :I'm Mike Laskey, Senior Server Architect at SMS and one of the Online team guys at the company. It's generally said that Online guys are a bit of a rare breed - something wrong in the DNA apparently. Some say the Online team have never seen the light of day, and some say we we all went a bit weird when a track day racing Sinclair C5's warped from our office in London to Canis Major before the Restart option in the GUI could be added... I blame Anders for that.

Moving swiftly on

As you will have noticed already there's a forum and a game client requiring authentication before you can use it. This is just the start. Soon we'll be storing user profile information online, maintaining stats and leaderboards and following that there will be multiplayer. We're aiming to build an online service that will check for updates and you'll be able to setup races to challenge other drivers and message your friends via social interaction features.

We're also here to listen to your requests - you as a member have a unique opportunity to help shape the multiplayer features and game modes that will make the final product.

It looks very nice and could have alot of potential. I will say setting up your wheel isn't easy. Netkar, LFS, iR, simbin, rF seem to recognize wheels very easy and this one not so much.

After an hour of playing with settings this for me is undrivable. I think it's a keyboard racer. Sound and graphics are good though. I love the track textures.
Has anyone noticed the shared behavior of the cars in these videos? Not a hint of oversteer, and that too well known "understeer-then-regain-grip-immediately-after-and-out-of-nowhere"?
The game aside, I'm a little uneasy about their 'WMD' business model. From what I gather, they are intending to have a community of programmers who *pay* for the privelege of writing games for them?

This smacks of the 'pay to play' crock-of-shit* that's been going through local music scenes throughout the world for years.

*Where bands have to pay a promoter for the 'privelege' of playing at their show, rather than the other way round
Quote from Crashgate3 :The game aside, I'm a little uneasy about their 'WMD' business model. From what I gather, they are intending to have a community of programmers who *pay* for the privelege of writing games for them?

This smacks of the 'pay to play' crock-of-shit* that's been going through local music scenes throughout the world for years.

*Where bands have to pay a promoter for the 'privelege' of playing at their show, rather than the other way round

No, they have their own team of programmers and modelers etc (Slightly Mad Studios), but they let people invest in the project and share ideas, make decisions, eventually forming the game it will be released as.
If you dont want to "invest", then don't do so. Wait until late 2012 and play the final product for free. Whats the problem here?
Well I put out the 10e to try it out and I have to say I'm quite disapointed with the physics. It simply goes into the "doesn't feel right" category, I cant say what's exactly wrong with it but it doesn't deliver the sensation of control and feel that you can immediately get with any sim (LFS, NetKar Pro, RFactor, RBR, GPL, etc)... With those sims, even with their different physics engines it still feels "right" and within minutes I can pick up driving with a new car (or a new sim), start to feel where the limit of grip is and so on but it's just not happening here.

It kind of feels like those "realism" mods for GRID and such games, they make an improvement to the behaviour of the car but the driving still feels wrong, because the physics engine is fundamentally wrong and tuning the parameters will never fix it. I do hope there is something that can be done to make it better in the future, but the initial impression is not very good.
I had lots of fun with the Radical RS4 on watkins glen but with more powerful cars I didn't feel much oversteer and found the cars too easy to drive right away. Im sure they will add more complexity to their physic engine for the good.. or the worse but what I fear is that people start calling this the ultimate sim because it looks good. It already happened.
Im glad I didn't pay more than 10euro if the game is indeed suppose to be free on release.. unless there are privileges like owning lucrative content. It seem kind of blurry at the moment.
After more builds in the coming months we'll have a better idea of where it's going.

meanwhile.. http://www.wmdportal.com/proje ... tracks-coming-to-c-a-r-s/
It's supposedly a Shift 2 engine. So it can just have a "realism mod" for it. Would definitely be nice to see a hint of oversteer somewhere, but I haven't seen much of anything yet. The video I posted earlier showed something, but can't really see it as oversteer. Seems some are saying the car feels like it is "floating".

But then you see stuff like this, and you think, maybe at 10% done it has potential to be fixed. I don't see a live tire model coming out of it, but maybe a decent spreadsheet sim (rF).

Look at this shiz: http://wmdportal.com/wp-conten ... /10/WMD_Overview_1011.pdf

On iR forum:
Quote :They've just announced that they signed a deal with Motorsport Vision which will bring laser scanned versions of Brands Hatch, Cadwell Park, Oulton Park and Snetterton to the sim.

Quote :Doug Arnao;1855 wrote:
The changes from the Shift series are pretty huge actually, especially in the tyre physics numbers. Shift needed to be a gamepad-centric game and admittedly the physics had to be tweaked around that ( lots of compromises ). With CARS it's the opposite with it being a wheel-centric sim, so the cars are allowed to more free in their physics targets to reality.. That being said it's still the same physics engine and the foot print and underlying similarities will never change.
IMHO the FFB is the area where there is the greatest improvements to car feel, control, and drivabilty can occur - as ultimately this is the connection to the player. Hopefully we can nail this part, but it's not an easy task.

Quote :Doug Arnao;1877 wrote:
Physics-wise there's been no changes to steering lock etc since at least a few weeks. We think some recently added gamepad filtering might have been affecting the wheels though. I believe this is being reverted for the next build.

Heyyyyyyyyy, oversteer, sorta.

iR forum is just hard to read sometimes, just to find information. Some are saying when you brake, you shouldn't have forces that try to bring your head forward...
When will people learn, they want an iR-esque system (with the lag hits and phantom 4X) in for MP (at least, that's what people are suggesting)
Quote from DieKolkrabe :When will people learn, they want an iR-esque system (with the lag hits and phantom 4X) in for MP (at least, that's what people are suggesting)

Murder them.

BTW Dom Duhan seems to be on the SMS staff, anyone know him enough to get in contact with him?

And for anyone wondering about 3 screen support, click.
Quote from Skytrill :Some peoples are claiming it's the best physic out there.. even better than GTR2 (sigh).

Jesus Christ, SMS is practically half of SimBin, so it's definitely potential in there. And for one, there isn't some big publisher breathing down their neck. From all accounts over at NoGrip, the engine is definitely capable. SMS already admitted that they've applied unrealistic values to various components to make SHIFT2 cars better controllable with console controllers.

Quote from Skytrill :Im glad I didn't pay more than 10euro if the game is indeed suppose to be free on release.. unless there are privileges like owning lucrative content. It seem kind of blurry at the moment.

Plan was always base game for free (very limited car and track selection), with content packs for actual money. I guess the iRacing model, just less faggy.
#67 - J.B.
Damn, someone could have mentioned earlier that Doug Arnao is in charge of physics, wouldn't have wasted 10€.
My impressions of Shift 2 weren't very good. All though I didn't really try Shift 2 that much. The steering was laggy first thing that happened. Also my impressions of Shift 2 might have been somewhat coloured by Shift 1 which was complete shit in many aspects. So reading that this "C.A.R.S" will be based of the Shift 2 makes me wonder whether this will be any good.
is Eero not onboard for C.A.R.S?
Quote from Gabkicks :is Eero not onboard for C.A.R.S?

He isn't? This whole cars ordeal sounds pretty close to Eero's drivers' republic project some years ago so it would be kind of surprising to see him not there.
Quote from J.B. :Damn, someone could have mentioned earlier that Doug Arnao is in charge of physics, wouldn't have wasted 10€.

welcome back
Quote from Tom Servo :

Plan was always base game for free (very limited car and track selection), with content packs for actual money. I guess the iRacing model, just less faggy.

Yeah I know that the plan was to release a free base but I said I hoped that those who contributed will have a little more free content than those that will download the game free of cost in a year or so. That was the blurry part to me.

here's 2 screens I toke with a mid-range Radeon after a bit of tuning in the options. Im very impressed by the graphics so far :-)
Attached images
CARS 2011-10-12 02-50-32-17.jpg
CARS 2011-10-12 02-12-18-00.jpg
How do you switch between dx9 and dxll?
Quote from Gabkicks :How do you switch between dx9 and dxll?

I was on dx9 but to answer your question there are two shortcuts on your desktop when you install the game; a normal C.A.R.S. and a C.A.R.S.DX11.
If you have a fanatec wheel don't bother unless you don't mind driving with 100 degrees of rotation. Absolutely useless for fanatec users. That's all I can review.

C.a.r.s.
(968 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG