The online racing simulator
Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
Quote from jibber :Still having fun with this one... (semi-slicks this season, very niiiiice! )

I was chasing one of those in my 944 the other day and the idiot completely lost it. I guess those S2000's are faster than I thought (unless you get an idiot driving it) because I had one hell of a work out keeping up
They have great handling capabilities for sure. I would say they are a lot of fun and can reach pretty high corner speeds too, but on fast corners, i think a 944 will outrun an S2000. My 944 turbo felt more stable at high speeds... the S2000 will really shine on tight and twisty mountain roads (slower corners) because of less weight.

The first models (like mine) are known to have very unique handling (bump steer) and a quite aggressive suspension setup. You really have to respect these earlier models and concentrate on what you do, otherwise they will bite you, sometimes almost unexpected. Personally i love it like this, because it makes for a fun ride (if you know what you do), but some people are left clueless until they spin out or crash... i can imagine somebody loosing it with this car indeed.

I still miss my old 944...
One of my good friends has an S2000...on a nice road (tight curves and long straights) he managed to keep up with an twin-turbo M3 xD
Quote from jibber : but on fast corneres, i think a 944 will outrun an S2000.

Quoted for LOL. S2000 is 15 years ahead of the 944 which is no lighter, slower and less sophisticated.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Quoted for LOL. S2000 is 15 years ahead of the 944 which is no lighter, slower and less sophisticated.

Jibber had a 944.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :Quoted for LOL. S2000 is 15 years ahead of the 944 which is no lighter, slower and less sophisticated.

My 944 turbo was built in 1990 (developed in 1988), the first S2000 was out in 1999. Thats roughly ten years, not 15. Also, the 944 is a porsche... everybody knows how fast cars they can build (handling wise)... 944's also have a perfect weight balance of 50/50 (S2000 achieves this almost, but not as perfect). In other words... 944's were way ahead of their times (handling wise). And for the record, a 944 turbo is not slower than an S2000... 250 turbo hp and 350nm of torque will win all day, even if the S2000 is a little bit lighter.

You're talking out of your arse again Jamie... which never ends well.
Had some Fun with my S2000 today aswell.

Quote from jibber :My 944 turbo was built in 1990 (developed in 1988), the first S2000 was out in 1999. Thats roughly ten years, not 15. Also, the 944 is a porsche... everybody knows how fast cars they can build (handling wise)... 944's also have a perfect weight balance of 50/50 (S2000 achieves this almost, but not as perfect). In other words... 944's were way ahead of their times (handling wise). And for the record, a 944 turbo is not slower than an S2000... 250 turbo hp and 300nm of torque will win all day, even if the S2000 is a little bit lighter.

You're talking out of your arse again Jamie... which never ends well.

The 944 Turbo S (according to the figures I can find) does 0-60 in 5.6 seconds which is exactly 0.1 seconds quicker than the S2000. In that case it will be down purely to the driver. The 944 Turbo S does the standing 1/4 in 13.9 seconds, exactly 0.1 seconds slower than the S2000 (US Spec, slower than JDM/Euro). - times from here

In gear roll ons will be to the Porches strength but then that's not what the VTEC unit is designed for. Quote weight distributions all you like, there is more than weight distribution to a cars handling ability. Porsche 911, for example?

No doubt the 944 Turbo is a good car, still quite quick and perfectly able; but I have to say I think that a S2000 is a better, faster car and probably quicker around a track. And unfortunately unless we can find a test where is an S2000 and a 944 Turbo racing around a track, in the same conditions, with the same drivers, same tyres, it would be best for the sake of avoiding an internet debate if we just agree to disagree.

You can see some more info here
oh oh oh also please call me a chav.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :The 944 Turbo S (according to the figures I can find) does 0-60 in 5.6 seconds which is exactly 0.1 seconds quicker than the S2000. In that case it will be down purely to the driver. ]

when it was new 20 years ago maybe.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :The 944 Turbo S (according to the figures I can find) does 0-60 in 5.6 seconds which is exactly 0.1 seconds quicker than the S2000. In that case it will be down purely to the driver. The 944 Turbo S does the standing 1/4 in 13.9 seconds, exactly 0.1 seconds slower than the S2000 (US Spec, slower than JDM/Euro). - times from here

In gear roll ons will be to the Porches strength but then that's not what the VTEC unit is designed for. Quote weight distributions all you like, there is more than weight distribution to a cars handling ability. Porsche 911, for example?

No doubt the 944 Turbo is a good car, still quite quick and perfectly able; but I have to say I think that a S2000 is a better, faster car and probably quicker around a track. And unfortunately unless we can find a test where is an S2000 and a 944 Turbo racing around a track, in the same conditions, with the same drivers, same tyres, it would be best for the sake of avoiding an internet debate if we just agree to disagree.

You can see some more info here

I have owned both cars and have driven them on various types of roads. Had the 944 for three years and the S2000 for two years. You have driven neither of those cars in your life.

I don't know where you usually get your figures from, but the 944 turbo (250hp version with the bigger turbo) varies from 5.7s (0-60mph) to 5.9s (0-100km/h). The S2000 needs 6.2s from 0-100km/h (dunno about mph figures). That's 0.3 seconds.

Both cars are not the best from a dead start (turbo lag, no vtec), but both have no problems once you get past this "lag" in the first gear and shift at redline into the next ones. The S2000 will start to become slow above 200 km/h while the 944 continues to pull nicely until about 240-250km/h, then starts to pull slower too. When i still had the 944 i met a swiss S2000 on a german autobahn with no traffic... we were next to each other and gave it full throttle from around 100km/h... he could keep up next to me up to 200km/h then started falling back. This is with stock cars by the way... 90% of 944 turbos are chipped and have about 290hp and 400nm at 3'800rpm.

The S2000 is good for twisty stuff with quick weight transfers at 60-100km/h. The 944 turbo is surprisingly good at slow speeds too (but more of a "heavy cow" of course), but way better above those speeds.

It is know about 944's that many were crashed because drivers did underestimate the speed they did and hit the brakes too late (front crashes are common with this car). If you drive a 944 turbo with 200km/h on the autobahn, you feel like you're doing 150km/h... With an S2000 it feels like 250km/h.

Blabla...

PS: 911's are very well "tamed" bad handling concepts that have the benefit of great rear traction.

EDIT: In your second link you compared the smaller turbo version with the S2000. As said above, the bigger version (called "turbo s" in 1988 and later on simply "turbo") has 250hp.
This would be more correct: http://www.zeperfs.com/en/duel975-178.htm
Quote from e2mustang :when it was new 20 years ago maybe.

And if it's well-maintained, it will still be as fast. My stock BMW is still as fast as it was 24 years ago.
Quote from jibber :When i still had the 944 i met a swiss S2000 on a german autobahn with no traffic... we were next to each other and gave it full throttle from around 100km/h... he could keep up next to me up to 200km/h then started falling back. This is with stock cars by the way... 90% of 944 turbos are chipped and have about 290hp and 400nm at 3'800rpm.

Explains why the Porsche won in that scenario!

I went and looked for some vids on youtube.

Listen what Tiff has to say about it here: http://youtu.be/79__TqWib58
944 part starts at 1:40, listen at 3:45 onwards especially...

Jeremy's take... http://youtu.be/SK7yujspEoQ

Here's a vid from a 944 cup race in 1988 (from which the 944 turbo s derived later that year, basically a track car made street legal)... http://youtu.be/9W9xMGmxCGY

EDIT: Some commercials...
http://youtu.be/0LDWyFta4tU
http://youtu.be/dvTVk0doJJM
Quote from hrtburnout :And if it's well-maintained, it will still be as fast. My stock BMW is still as fast as it was 24 years ago.

mine is twice as fast :P
Quote from hrtburnout :What did you do to it?

swapped the engine to m3(i wrote here somewhere its a 92 325i) well basicly i changed everything to m3 +tuned the engine,and got short gearing for extra thrust :P
Lol at the radio.

Why do you sell it?
Quote from G!NhO :Lol at the radio.

Why do you sell it?

Because I can, and because I want to save up for a better car.
Quote from Bose321 :If it was from 86 or before I'd take it...

That's why it doesn't cost 3000 euros.
Quote from Bose321 :If it was from 86 or before I'd take it...

I´d take it if it was the 2 door.
This thread is closed

Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG