The online racing simulator
The ai is useless.
I do that some times when I'm defending. Except not actually brake mid corner, just late throttle to mess with the attacker's rhythm.
Was playing this for the easy-bigbuck challenges and while it's still a nice game to play, I couldn't sit there for hours like I could with Forza 3.

The UI just isn't as nice. Some customization features which are present in Forza 3 are not even thought of in GT5. As a game for car enthusiasts (as in, the type of people to polish their 1958 Mustang all day), GT5 is probably the game for you. The graphics are nicer, at least on the "premium" cars and the dashboards are fairly good.

Forza though is very close on the graphics front but hey.
Forza 3 felt very odd whenever the cars began to slide, so I wouldn't be able to sit for hours and play it purely because it felt weird when it came to actually driving. I couldn't sit for hours playing Gran Turismo 5 either, I'd get bored! The only driving game I get any real satisfaction out of driving these days is Netkar Pro anyway.
Perhaps the one thing that has stopped me playing gt5 more than I have is the net code, which if you have nothing to compare it with might seem good enough, but as someone that has played good pc racing sims with rock solid multiplayer it just feels very low rate and it annoys me whenever I give it a try.
Really? Net codes felt fine for me on every server i've been on
Honestly I found GT5 had so much done to the cars just to make them harder to drive it was stupid.

Like having the default brake balance at 50-50, so every time you buy a car you have to go in and adjust it so the damn thing doesn't oversteer going into EVERY corner. That and the suspension settings are totally buggered on a lot of the cars too, so I had to spend time getting them right.

It took me two hours to get my AW11 MR2 to handle even remotely like the real thing. When it should have right from the get-go, especially considering it was all stock.

I found Forza 3 handled better from square one, and actually seemed somewhat like driving a real car, closer than GT5. Though neither of them handle oversteer correctly, it always feels wrong.
LFS netcode/physics + GT5 cars = Epic win?

The online is a bid disapoint too but if you race in organised leagues (GTplanet) then it becomes alot easier and better to race.
I think forza does the really small slides really well. Like when you are only having a slip angle of 5-10 degrees it is actually better than gt5. For example in the gt cars exiting long turns just at the limit of traction feels pretty good. But once forza goes past that slip angle it totally breaks down with the autosteer. The same thing happens in starts too. The tires have good bit of longnitudal grip until you go too far and the grip falls off a cliff.

GT5 is easier to drive but it also acts a bit weird at bigger slides. It feels like the inertias are totally wrong or something because the cars get into that strange pendulum mode and it feels like the whole car is rotating around some axis like in ridge racer or something.

Also after playing forza more lately I have to admit that gt5's menus are not so bad after all. In gt5 there is less going back and forth than in forza. For example changing parts in the car is a lot quicker in gt5 because it is in the setup options that is also available when you have entered a race. So for example in forza if you accidentally enter a race in totally overpowered car you can not fix until you have finished that race. In gt5 you just go the garage and change the parts you want.

I still do not understand why neither of the games have a feature that searches cars that fit certain criteria from all the cars in the shops. Forza does search those cars from your own garage but if you want to try something different you need to manually browse through all manufacturers to find something. derp
Quote from Hyperactive :
GT5 is easier to drive but it also acts a bit weird at bigger slides. It feels like the inertias are totally wrong or something because the cars get into that strange pendulum mode and it feels like the whole car is rotating around some axis like in ridge racer or something.

I "think" (touch wood) this is because of the gamepad and the fact the game was really designed for the G25. My friend had a G27 hooked up and I never had that pendulum effect when driving, as the inputs were 1:1, rather than 500:1 with an added auto-steer affect.

Quote :In gt5 there is less going back and forth than in forza. For example changing parts in the car is a lot quicker in gt5 because it is in the setup options that is also available when you have entered a race. So for example in forza if you accidentally enter a race in totally overpowered car you can not fix until you have finished that race. In gt5 you just go the garage and change the parts you want.

That's true, about not having to go back quite as much. But don't you agree the Forza menus are a bit quicker? And also, when you buy a part in Forza it is fitted automatically. Having to press x 3 times to buy and fit a part on GT5 gets annoying.

Yes I bloody want it fitted or I wouldn't have bought it.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :That's true, about not having to go back quite as much. But don't you agree the Forza menus are a bit quicker?

Yeah, there is less loading and getting to places is quicker. My main gripe with the navigation inside the forza menus is that I have to use my fanatec wheel for it and the way the buttons are laid out makes my wrists and fingers hurt after a bit. In gt5 I can use the pad for the menus and the steering wheel for racing.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :And also, when you buy a part in Forza it is fitted automatically. Having to press x 3 times to buy and fit a part on GT5 gets annoying.

Yes I bloody want it fitted or I wouldn't have bought it.

It was just incredibly lovely in earlier gt games as it went something like this:
Do you want to buy this part? [Yes/no]
Are you sure? [Yes/no]
You bought the part. Do you want to install the part? [Yes/no]
You just installed the damn part. [Ok, goddammit]
and we have absolutely no idea what it actually is, or if it's free.

Good PR job dude.
Quote from JJ72 :and we have absolutely no idea what it actually is, or if it's free.

Good PR job dude.

I'm a real sucker for tidbits of information like this, the prospect of some real improvements and dlc is enough to spark my interest again. Despite its failings I really like gt5 and despite their failings I still have some faith in PD.

Foolish perhaps
probably inrace save
Quote from JJ72 :and we have absolutely no idea what it actually is, or if it's free.

Good PR job dude.

My bad. Fixed the link now. :dunce:
Bring back the classic GT tracks and make some/most standards premium.
Or just give the standards a basic interior
Quote from speed1230 :Bring back the classic GT tracks and make some/most standards premium.
Or just give the standards a basic interior

https://twitter.com/#!/Kaz_Yamauchi

Looks like you are going to get this

And · ·, looks like this. One week after the DLC track pack is a free update pack and race cars, racing gear is being prepared and packed. It also will be announced at the next opportunity. I'm sorry consecutive pitching. -ksz twitter
  1. Simplified interior view added to all standard cars.
  2. User control of the weather change feature.
  3. Added a setting sheet feature allowing you to save multiple car settings.
  4. Spec 2.0 opening movie.
  5. Improved UI usability and response.
  6. Replay rewind and fast forward.
  7. Ability to save during a race
  8. Online Lounge Expansion (Ability to narrow down car types via search, shuffle races).
  9. Expansion of the B-Spec remote race you can play from GT.com (a graph display now shows changes in race rankings.).
  10. Expanded Photo travel features. You can now take photo’s of cars together with your avatar.
  11. Added a “NASCAR Pit Scene” stage to Photo Travel
  12. Added eleven 2011 model NASCAR cars.
  13. Added the Nissan GT-R N24 Schulze Motorsport.
  14. Improved physics and AI.
  15. Support for the Logitec G25/G27 Steering wheel.
Thanks for you request, Speed!

I can't wait for this update. I'm interested in what the racing car and course pack has to offer. The former update could consist of the cars behind the GT-R (RM WRX STI, RM RX7, RM Skyline (?))
Yes I'm very happy of the GT PSP style interiors for standard cars
But 11 nascars as new cars...?
Quote from speed1230 :Yes I'm very happy of the GT PSP style interiors for standard cars
But 11 nascars as new cars...?

They aren't really new cars, they are just re-skinned versions of the 2010 models.
Better physics and ai - nice

This is probably the GT5 PD would have released had not Sony force them to release early
or if PD didn't waste so much time

There are some pics of these new interiors

Quote from CoolColJ :Better physics and ai - nice

Well they already thought that they had done a good job on the original physics and ai, so it's anyone's guess what they mean by "better".

Vain
Quote from Vain :Well they already thought that they had done a good job on the original physics and ai, so it's anyone's guess what they mean by "better".

Vain

actual Kaz quote

Quote :Improved car physics simulation, further evolved A.I.

Gran Turismo 5
(7732 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG