The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
The members site was intermittent prior to it going off again. I had to bypass the Dashboard page and go through the hosted page just to get back into our session. Feels like an overload problem. Oh well it was good while it lasted.
mine just came back, so i suppose its all working again.
Down again!

I can't believe they can't handle the load of a few people updating at the same time. Are they running Windows Me? They seem to have the most unstable rubbish servers ever.
well i got 1 qually session in before it crashed again. not sure how good my time is 1.26.2 at summit point. its my first ever time around this track though
That's what you get for your money.
Currently down again...

Anyway, had time to try out the Ford GT...and it is amazing. The new tyre model really lives up to the hype. The car is great, too.

Didn't have time to test the ARX yet though.
Quote from jwardy :well i got 1 qually session in before it crashed again. not sure how good my time is 1.26.2 at summit point. its my first ever time around this track though

low 24's, high 23's are competetive.
Quote from RMachucaA :low 24's, high 23's are competetive.

il get there like i said ive only done 6 laps
Quote from DeKo :I'm absolutely fed up of iRacing now, I haven't driven in an official race for nearly 2 months and have just been re-subscribing waiting on the NTM. They are idiots that can't do a single thing right. I have never seen them hit a release date on time, they never tell their customers anything about anything, then they seem shocked when people actually get pissed off at them. Then there are a few dickheads on the forums who, the minute anyone has a single bad thing to say about iRacing, start absolutely freaking out and screaming about how ****ing amazing they are.

They can't even organise a database. Has anyone ever heard of a database where once a name is deleted, it can never be used again? Who the **** coded that, a school kid?

Quote from DeKo :I can't believe they can't handle the load of a few people updating at the same time. Are they running Windows Me? They seem to have the most unstable rubbish servers ever.

Why are you still subscribed to iRacing then? It sounds like you hate it.
no AI. you need to be connected to the internet just to practice on a track alone even.
Quote from Gabkicks :I. you need to be connected to the internet just to practice on a track alone even.

Not strictly true. Once you've entered a "Test" session i.e. driving on you're own, as opposed to actual "Practice" sessions which occur with other cars, you can then disconnect. Still not very convenient though, to say the least.
First impression is that the skip now understeers a lot more.

Haven't dne much with the setup yet so my tire pressures 20/22 or something like that are probably way off.
I only drove the Skippy for a couple of laps around Summit Point and it did feel like an understeering pig. Meh.
It is more understeery than it was before but increasing tire pressures from 20/22 to 22/28 made it more willing to turn. There is definitely some kind of understeer mode that goes on when you go back on throttle mid turn. Kinda like the rfactor front washout in mid turn but not even nearly as bad.

It does have the "ntm tire wobble" where there seems to be some strange tire sidewall flex making the car go all snaky on you at times. The unlinear steering makes it really hard to catch those! The car feels also it has more longnitudal grip grip. Braking distances seem shorter or the car is slower.

Luckily I didn't buy the ford gt. Seems like one more car with broken steering...
erm the stats wont load i just get loading flashing up. its been like this for a while now :L
Quote from Jertje :I only drove the Skippy for a couple of laps around Summit Point and it did feel like an understeering pig. Meh.

The real one is an understeering pig when on the throttle.
Quote from MadCat360 :The real one is an understeering pig when on the throttle.

First few laps last night I liked some things but found it frustrating also, after a night sleep and reading up a bit more I have found the following good:

- Set all sound sliders to 0db (before I had tyre high and rest low)
- Haven't changed g25 Logitech profiler settings at all
- in-game FFB set to 13 for Skip (above that you get clipping and its different for each car)

Started with Skip at Okayama short and played with setup found when compared to OTM that a good feeling setup requires quite different setup strategy.

Found it necessary to bring the brake bias forward, raise the front ride hieght substantially and have the tyre pressures more how you would expect IRL (i.e. rear lower than front) Also found that a stiff rear ARB works well as it seems to support the rear end better and gives better drive out of the corners, so it's a mistake to go too soft with the ARB.

Initial impressions with the NTM on the Skip are:

- It feels a lot more like a real car
- you have to think about the traction circle a lot more than before!
- You can catch slides, even hold drifts and push hard etc but in different ways to the OTM and it feels pretty realisitic to me.
- It punishes you a lot more for overdriving on corner entry than before but conversely it is more forgiving on corner exit.

Conclusion: - I think it will prove to be a much better tyre model than the OTM on the other road cars once it is rolled out but will require a rethink on how to go about setting them up and a little relearning with driving techniques. I find myself thinking more often than not that this feels right with the NTM it feels a lot less like a toy now. Obviously there will still be issues that need sorting out but it is a good step in the right direction imo
Any setups for the new cars yet?? I am failing miserably....like mass xD Good thing SR and IR arent effected and if they are oh wellz xD
I just did first few laps with Ford GT at Suzuka and I gotta say wow! I love that feeling

I'm still terribly slow in it 5sec or more off pace but could drive it all day and be slow I wouldn't care
The HPD is really kicking my ass but my, what a glorious machine. Just kinda wish we had the traction control system the real one has...
Traction control, what for? Throttle control is what it's all about
Quote from Jertje :Traction control, what for? Throttle control is what it's all about

When a car and it's power delivery is designed for TC, it's very problematic without it. Anyway, traction control is simply faster, otherwise they wouldn't have it on the car.
Quote from DeKo :When a car and it's power delivery is designed for TC, it's very problematic without it. Anyway, traction control is simply faster, otherwise they wouldn't have it on the car.

Not to mention more boring and fun-killing. The car isn't hard to handle really...
Harder doesn't mean more realistic. And if its realism iRacing is aiming for, it should have TC like the real thing does.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG