The online racing simulator
Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
Quote from morpha :Yeah I don't know what the big deal is either, it's a diesel "GLOF", nobody wants that anyway regardless of what colour the engine cover is
I'm not saying it's not a good vehicle, but it's freakishly heavy, quite big (for what is supposed to be a hot hatch) and as ColeusRattus already stated, not that cheap to run (here, anyway).

A friend of mine shares a Mk5 1.9 TDI with his older brother and they're paying ~1750€/year insurance + taxes for it. To put that into perspective, I'm paying ~2050€/year for my Supra.

your saving 300 per annum on insurance but surely the golf does better mpg and loses that advantage on petrol costs ?
Quote from S14 DRIFT :The GTI is the peak of Volkswagens engineering know-how to create a fast, good handling hatchback which can genuinly be used every day, with superior build quality and good amounts of power and torque. It's regarded as one of the best hot hatches, if you won't take my word take Mr Clarksons, WhatCar, Autocar, EVOMagazine, CAR, and Top Gear Magazine.

Well, noone denies that Golfs, no matter what engine, are good cars. It's just that with the history that Golfs have in Germany, Austria and Switzerland, they are regarded as Chav Cars.
Being cheap, and available in abundance (Golfs are the most sold type of car in the countries mentioned) and the huge market for mofifications, Golfs became the chav car here.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :I make no bones about it, I cannot afford a GTI. Then again, I wouldn't buy one if I could. I would buy a 2.0TDI and make that into a GTI, because a 2.0TDI chipped is quicker than a GTI. Plus you have to think about MPG and what not...even giving it a good blast I still managed 500 miles to a tank which is about 48.5 MPG.

Well, why does it need to look like a GTI then?
Again, to elaborate: Many chavs here like to pretend their cheap, not so hot hatches are sports cars by adding spoilers, lowering them and adding fart cans, and driving like public roads are racetracks. It's just mimikry.
I for one drive a 55 bhp Polo. I could've gone for a quicker car in my price range, but having to pay 300€/year for tax and insurance, plus good MPG, and being well equipped (pretty much everything's electrical, plus automatic aircon, etc...) was irresistible. I know it's not even remotely "sporty" and I don't pretend it is.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :I am 20,with a house to run and bills to pay. I do not live at home with mummy and daddy...on £15,000 a year. What do you expect? I literally just have enough to keep afloat, and while I get a little help from my Mum, that's much more for food and £20/£30 here and there, rather than months of bills paid for me - so a "nicer" car as you so eloquently put it is simply not an option. (just exactly what is not "nice" about a Golf anyway...:really

Well, I was referring to "nicer" than a 64 bhp Golf D (note: NOT turbo diesel), if you are after a sportscar. If you just want a reliable and cheap to run car, then it's perfectly fine... Just no need to "ruin" the main upside of being a cheap car by spending a huge amount of money on modifications which's sole purpose is to make the car look like a sports car, which it isn't and never will be.
And just to counter your shot at age and responsibilities: I'm 28, and I too have bills to pay, without getting support by my parents... But my choice of car leaves me with a tad money to spend on other luxuries.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :It's not comparble to a MR2 (which is what I think you're referring to) to Ferrari conversion because those are horrible and tacky, in general. Some are very nice but aren't my cup of tea.

Now, most modified golfs over here are horrible and very tacky, and are cheaply done. Also, it was rather an analogy: to make something "cheap" appear to be a more expensive product, just not as extreme.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :That's the look I'm going for at the front end. Exactly what is wrong with that, other than your obvious hatred for modification in any way, or/and of me?

Looks are very subjective. Even though I dislike making other Golfs look like GTIs, I do like the look of GTIs, they are very tidy and not overly flamboyant. I personally don't like debadged cars, as I think it does make the front and rear look empty. Also, as debadging doesn't serve any other purpose and making a car look "purrty", I think money can be spend better elsewhere.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :There are several things to remember. Firstly, if you start with a Mk3 you're never going to end up with a Sportscar.

However, if your friend was happy with it, what is your problem? If you have a problem with a fat person, for example, do you go up to their face (or type angrily behind your keyboard) saying how if only they did "this" or "that" they would have "this" or "that"?

My problem isn't with the car itself, but with the fact that that person had the need convince himself and others that his cars was something it actually wasn't.
Additionally, he wasn't exactly "happy" with it, as he mostly saw what it wasn't, and what it couldn't ever be, no matter how much effort he took. On a sidenote, that friend as aged and matured, and spending so much money on that car for those reasons is what he regrets the most in his life.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
I like my Mk5, they are a bit common so I want to make it personal. If I buy a "proper car" (what's not proper about a Golf, whether it's a Mk3, Mk4 or Mk5? They have 4 wheels, an engine and some seats, thus they are as much of a car as any Ferrari or Porsche), then I will have simply purchased another white good. Another box on wheels."?

While I can understand the notion, I don't understand how buying and adding mass produces aftermarket parts make a car personal. Now having a true custom car is different, but just slapping on random parts so it doesn't look stock might make a car unique, but certainly not special.
Also, as I said, over here, GTI lookalikes are nearly as common as stock Golfs, so not really a good choice for individualists.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
You're from Switzerland, amiright? Where it's illegal to do anything to your car, you're not allowed to lower it, or modify it..or even change the exhaust.."

Nope, Austria. People are allowed to modify cars here

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
Oh well, what's having a debate going to acomplish, because I fear that people are too narrow minded. :sadbanana

It's not narrow-mindedness, at least not predominatly. It's rather trying to prevent younger ones to spend lots of money on things that are useless in the grand scheme of things...

And a sidenote: I don't dislike you personally, even if you do seem to get a lot of flak in these forums.
Maybe a stupid question now with this subject, but what kind of paint do i need to paint my car flat black?..... with a roller.
At the end of the day, putting your own personal touch onto a car is quite important imo.

I wouldn't give a monkeys what others think, more so if their view of a ricer is someone who changes bumpers to ones that are manufacturer made anyway.

Quote from ColeusRattus : Also, as debadging doesn't serve any other purpose and making a car look "purrty", I think money can be spend better elsewhere.

Yeah what a terrible waste of money. Spending all that money debaging a car. Such a terribly expensive and time consuming modification

Carry on S14 - looking forward to updated pics It's nice to look back over your own pictures of a car that's had changes, done the same with every car i've owned. It's good to see how much they've changed. Aslong as you don't go sticking mecano spoilers on n shit like that

I would of sprayed the rocker cover red though, or stuck with silver for all of the bits you sprayed, only my opinion though
Quote from DejaVu :
Yeah what a terrible waste of money. Spending all that money debaging a car. Such a terribly expensive and time consuming modification

er... I don't mean the dealers option of not having the car's name and type on the trunk, but getting rid of the VW badge on the grill. You need to buy a new grill and either modify or buy a new bonnet to get rid of the "circle" cut out for the logo...
Quote from ColeusRattus :

Well, why does it need to look like a GTI then?

Well why drive a car when you can take the bus?

You can like something asthetically and want to aspire to it, he's not putting GTi badges on (I hope), so he's not trying to 'trick' anybody. He's just wanting his TDi to get some TLC in the way the GTi has. Any mods he does, making his TDi look like a GTi won't ever be as bad as people in BMW's putting an ///M badge on a rock 3 series.

He's not going around telling his friends it's a GTi, like the aforementioned people in BMW's will tell people (or want people to believe) that they have an Msport BMW.
why would anyone want their friends to believe they drive something as shameful as a bmw? or a golf for that matter
Quote from Shotglass :why would anyone want their friends to believe they drive something as shameful as a bmw? or a golf for that matter

What do you drive then?
and before you ask... yes its microscopic
Not a man with children in mind then.
no but why would i as a 28 year old bachelor worry about children?
either way id always have 9 month time to buy a secondary car or sell it if it came to that
the only thing i do that the car is rather rubbish for is rc flying

btw by your logic nothing says i want children more than a chaved golf then?
BMW bashing while driving a Toyota. I am disappointed.
he wont have children coz hes gay.simple as that. probably thats why that awesome mr2.. god...
Quote from RasmusL :BMW bashing while driving a Toyota. I am disappointed.

Quote from e2mustang :he wont have children coz hes gay.simple as that. probably thats why that awesome mr2.. god...

U mad. It's an MR2 turbo, respect.

I'd rather have that MR2 turbo than my e30 320i, but I can't afford one
i would rather never have a jap car.
Quote from e2mustang :i would rather never have a jap car.

Oh well, tastes differ. Yours is quite extreme though
alright alright i take a supra mk4
Quote from e2mustang :he wont have children coz hes gay.simple as that. probably thats why that awesome mr2.. god...

yes makes total sense i drive an mr2 therefore i must be gay
thanks for the revelation

as for jap cars... im not aware of any other country that has made anything anywhere near as interesting (and affordable) as eg an rx7 fd or an s2000 in recent years
I have no problem with Japanese cars, I'd love a Honda NSX
I don't get the hate for BMW though, they're extremely good cars, which might have something to do with the simple fact that they're the only ones still sticking with RWD except the supercars.
Used to love my mr2 turbo. Had to sell when we had a kid

Quote from RasmusL :they're extremely good cars, which might have something to do with the simple fact that they're the only ones still sticking with RWD except the supercars.

and also the fact about manufacturer's attitude - they don't produce minivans, commercial vehicles, 1.1l crapboxes and other shit noone cares about
Quote from e2mustang :he wont have children coz hes gay.simple as that. Probably thats why that awesome mr2.. God...

:d:d:d:d:d
Quote from RasmusL :I don't get the hate for BMW though, they're extremely good cars

i woudlnt say extremely but yeah
anyway its a combination of things like most of their cars being too mundane (ie the somewhat sporty but still quite comfortable and sensible saloon) the fact that all their cars look the same (if they werent lined up in order and you showed me (or anyone who isnt a total bmw nut) a single car from that picture (minus the suvs) i wouldnt have a ****ing clue which is which http://cdc-img.ibsrv.net/cms/2 ... neup27482099525674495.jpg ) and the fact that almost all german cars are incredibly dull
on top of that the only slightly interesting cars they make (z3 and z4) are made for people half my height and at 184 im not exactly tall either)

but above anything else its the people that drive bmws and if youve ever been on an autobahn youd know exactly what im on about
oh yeah and that:
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=1598647#post1598647
This thread is closed

Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG