The online racing simulator
Playstion network "intruded"
(344 posts, started )
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Sony have been very honest and professional IMO, much more so than many of the hundreds of thousands of other companies which have misplaced our data. They have been open with their userbase and even provided tips and "FAQs" as it where about what to do in the future to keep your data secure.

They're certainly more helpful so than our own Government when some hapless employee leaves an unencrypted laptop on a train, they don't even say what sort of data or who, or what to do...

Give Sony a break.

I got an email from Sony yesterday informing me that they had given my card details out to a passing stranger.

The email did not apologise once, and the tone of it insisted that it only effected non-US customers so it wasn't that big of an issue.

Thanks Sony!

I don't even have a smegging Playstation. I played a computer game that Sony bought out when I stopped playing, and a few years ago I signed up for a couple of months for old times sake before closing my account again.

Now my personal data INCLUDING my debit card is property of the internet, because Sony aren't PCI compliant.

Under UK law they require a PCI level of 1 for the size and nature of their business in order to trade online, which should involve full code audits by an independent and approved company every 3 months.

I pressume Sony have bypassed the PCI system by forming the SOE and PSN network parent companies on foreign soil, that being the case then how can I have faith in the PCI system?

I think we need a law that to take money from a UK card - for any business over a certain size - you must use a UK payment gateway, thus forcing these big companies to play by the same rules as the rest of us - because a British company just couldn't get away with this gross level of incompetence. The degree of auditing and scrutiny for companies that take large amounts of card payments would prohibit it.
I presume you had the same email as the one I had?

Quote :

Valued PlayStation Network/Qriocity Customer:

We have discovered that between April 17 and April 19, 2011, certain PlayStation Network and Qriocity service user account information was compromised in connection with an illegal and unauthorized intrusion into our network. In response to this intrusion, we have:

1) Temporarily turned off PlayStation Network and Qriocity services;

2) Engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a full and complete investigation into what happened; and

3) Quickly taken steps to enhance security and strengthen our network infrastructure by re-building our system to provide you with greater protection of your personal information.

We greatly appreciate your patience, understanding and goodwill as we do whatever it takes to resolve these issues as quickly and efficiently as practicable.

Although we are still investigating the details of this incident, we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state/province, zip or postal code), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained. While there is no evidence that credit card data was taken at this time, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, to be on the safe side we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained.

For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email, telephone, and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email, asking for your credit card number, social security, tax identification or similar number or other personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking. When the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services are fully restored, we strongly recommend that you log on and change your password. Additionally, if you use your PlayStation Network or Qriocity user name or password for other unrelated services or accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them, as well.

To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we encourage you to remain vigilant to review your account statements and to monitor your credit or similar types of reports.

We thank you for your patience as we complete our investigation of this incident, and we regret any inconvenience. Our teams are working around the clock on this, and services will be restored as soon as possible. Sony takes information protection very seriously and will continue to work to ensure that additional measures are taken to protect personally identifiable information. Providing quality and secure entertainment services to our customers is our utmost priority. Please contact us at www.eu.playstation.com/psnoutage should you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,
Sony Network Entertainment and Sony Computer Entertainment Teams

Can't you see that's from 2010?
I see what you did there.
Hhahahaahhahahah
Lets just agree this was a bad joke to save me the embarrassment.
Quote from Boris Lozac :So they are idiots and not the geeks that did the hacking?

Well definitely, as the hackers are the party that successfully did what they set out to do.

The Hackers maybe a bunch of A holes but at least they are competent!
Well they f'd up pretty bad I agree, but I don't see how they deserved all this hate from people..
Quote from Boris Lozac :Well they f'd up pretty bad I agree, but I don't see how they deserved all this hate from people..

If there is an evil cynical corporation whos boundaries extend beyond greed and into espionage of our private lives in order to sell us even more product, and three are several such corporations, but if there was just one then it would be Sony.

Hacking Sony is an act of defiance not just against the company itself, but of what it represents in the new global economy. Corporations with reaches that extend beyond governments and with the wealth to influence them (such as the UK's Digital Economy Act).

Sony are the epitome of the worst case scenario in a bleak corporate future, and they're here right now, in this age.

Deserve it? Yes they do - but it's more than that, Sony is a symbol that represents the worst aspects of corporate greed.
Quote from Becky Rose :Deserve it? Yes they do - but it's more than that, Sony is a symbol that represents the worst aspects of corporate greed.

Pretty much this. Reading back Sony's history, the current company is on a completely different mindset. Scare tactics and lawyers instead of trying to make something worthwhile. No wonder their stock price and reputation is going down the drain.
Yet I won't trade it for an Xbox. I have nothing against the 360, infact I would like to own both, but it's just i'm loyal towards it. I have one of the very first PS3s and I will continue to use it untill it gives up.
Microsoft bashing? That's so 2004.

That's 7 years ago.. Made myself feel old D:
Quote from Boris Lozac :Wtf are you on about.. maybe you meant microsoft or samsung..

I meant exactly what I said.

Microsoft for all their ills have never been into spying on us. Sony have. Microsoft don't pass their own laws, Sony have.

The hackers, agree with them or otherwise, have targeted Sony because Sony represent something far worse than Microsoft who just got us all standardised on a fairly middle of the range and somewhat bloaty operating system. Meanwhile Sony have been merrily been stripping away civil liberties in the pursuit of more profit.

Whilst your location may have averted you from the worst of it Boris, over here we've got the Digital Economy Act, and in America they're lobbying for Copyright scanners installed on every PC and iPods scanned for downloaded music files when entering the country. Meanwhile they're installing rootkits on our PC's and collecting usage data every time you fire up your PS3.

Sony want control over us. Microsofts only sin was being a bit crap.

That's why Sony is the target of these attacks. They took their gloves off spilling for a fight, and they got their teeth smashed in.
Don't know bout those acts but what exactly suspicius can you do on your ps3 so that 'spying' can bother you? I'm just saying that they are the company who always pushes forward, what is microsoft doing, killing everything with their brutal marketing.. I mean they convinced people that it's ok to charge for online playing lol..
Quote from Boris Lozac :I mean they convinced people that it's ok to charge for online playing lol..

Oh lord...
Oh lord what.. would you like that on pc? it's equivalent to paying to post on forums..
Uhm, how is it?

And we already have that on PC's. Called MMO's. Oh, and iRacing.
Quote from Boris Lozac :Don't know bout those acts but what exactly suspicius can you do on your ps3 so that 'spying' can bother you? I'm just saying that they are the company who always pushes forward, what is microsoft doing, killing everything with their brutal marketing.. I mean they convinced people that it's ok to charge for online playing lol..

On the PS3, even if you're not signed into PSN, if the console is connected to the internet it automatically uploads a few stats, like games played, to Sony Servers. Seems a little ridiculous to me. I quite happily admit that I jailbreak my PS3 to get back OtherOS, to back up my games to protect my BD drive and get better performance, and to play perfectly legal Snes emulators from the comfort of my couch. Sony know all of this, even though I don't go anywhere near PSN.

Anyway, have you never heard of subscription online games on PC?
I can't believe what you're guys are saying.. comparing mmo's to the paying for EVERY game online..
Quote from Boris Lozac :I can't believe what you're guys are saying.. comparing mmo's to the paying for EVERY game online..

Whats there not to believe? In actual sense, MMO's are more expensive than a monthly "Live" subscription.

Not to mention, "you get what you pay for".
What do you mean, you get P2P in 99%, how's that worth a prescription?
Quote from Boris Lozac :What do you mean, you get P2P in 99%, how's that worth a prescription?

Sorry. Dont quite understand what you're saying.

Playstion network "intruded"
(344 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG