The online racing simulator
Guide: Running an LFS Server
I encourage you to visit the host page on the LFS wiki, which should have the most up to date guide(s).
I'm setting up QoS on my router, and i need to know what Ports LFS use.(Not server, for the player) Zone Alarm, Netlimiter and dTastmanager all give me a different port number.
The outgoing port are usually always different, which is why Zone Alarm, etc. will always give you something different, but the destination port is always the same.

To make this clearer, this is how a network connection works (talking to a website):
  • The client computer thinks it needs to establish an out going connection, to a website for instance.
  • The client computer then picks a random port, thats unused, above 1024, as the source port.
  • The client computer then connects to the server on the destination port, in a websites case, TCP/80.
  • The server then communicates back to the client computer, talking to the client on the random source port.
  • The connection is closed.
The ports you're interested in, should be TCP and UDP/63392.
Is it normal I do everything and it still doesn't work?
Quote from Knight_Atack :Is it normal I do everything and it still doesn't work?

In what way doesnt it work? Can you see it in LFSWorld at all? Can you see it in-game?
I got the stuff set up, filled the good parameters and all... The little host consol says ON LINE and all, good. I even went on it via local. But it doesn't appear in the server list. I tried with a friend, and he searched for it in any possible way, and we didn't find it .
Knight_Attack:
That usually means the server is either hidden, not using the master server, or the clients can't contact it.
What name did you give the server?
Are you directly connected to the internet, or connecting via another machine or a router, or another method?
I assume you're doing it on a windows box?

kiss me:
Incase you see this before you see the PM, your server is working like a dream now
Quote from the_angry_angel :Knight_Attack:
That usually means the server is either hidden, not using the master server, or the clients can't contact it.
What name did you give the server?
Are you directly connected to the internet, or connecting via another machine or a router, or another method?
I assume you're doing it on a windows box?

Yes, using windows. And the computer is connected through a router to access internet. However I folllowed the guidelines on the site you gave, with the correct router, did everything okay, yet nothing occured. So... Um.. Yea... Dunno really what to do anymore. Is there a way to un-hide a server or get it to access the master server correctly? Or something?

Thanks for all the help mate.
Hmm..on some routers you may have to restart them before they kick in. Theres a few other things; maybe you have another firewall on your PC; zonealarm, the windows firewall, something else. That could be blocking it, perhaps.

Did you change the port LFS runs on at all?
Did you make sure you specified the config file correctly? If you dont specify yours as the program argument, it will default back to setup.cfg.
The hiding / non-master setting is within your config file, line 26 in setup.cfg (the /usemaster setting).
I'm off to bed in a sec, but you could try making the server again, pm'ing or posting its name and I'll try to connect. Sometimes that can give some interesting messages that we can work with.

There is of course the other option that your ISP blocks high end ports, to prevent or slow down peer to peer apps; I have come across this once.
Alright, i've set up a dedi server, almost everything works well. It's listed @ the master server, but I can't connect to it. When i enter it's name it says 'connecting to host' for 5 seconds, and then it turns back to the "join specific server" screen. What am I doing wrong? This is my config:
Quote :/host=Erik's
/admin=xxxxx
/port=63392
/insim=29999
/mode=s2
/usemaster=yes
/track=SO4
/weather=3
/cars=XFG+XRG+XRT+RB4+FXO+LX4+LX6+MRT+UF1+UFR+XFR+XRR+FXR+FZ5+FZR+RAC+FOX+FO8
/maxguests=11
/carsmax=11
/carshost=1
/carsguest=1
/pps=4
/qual=5
/laps=5
/wind=0
/dedicated=nogfx
/vote=yes
/select=yes
/rstmin=60
/rstend=30
/autokick=spectate
/midrace=yes
/mustpit=no
/start=random
/welcome=erik's_wel.txt

Its most likely to be a port being blocked by your firewall or router, rather than anything else. Are you directly connected to the internet, or via some other means?
Directly, i've openen all ports :S LFS is listed as an exception by windows firewall.

I've shut down Windows Firewall, and tried it again, still no result :S
on ur router,
every possible way that u can open ports, try them!
most routers have a built-in firewall, open ur ports there too.
just try every possible way that u can open ports and test, send a pm when ur server is onn and ill try for u
Even with the Windows firewall off (temporarily), people still cannot connect?
No, nor can I
Hmm, did Windows ask if you wanted to unblock LFS.exe at anytime?

If you goto the exceptions tab, can you see X:\Path\to\dedicated\LFS.exe in there anywhere? If so, try deleting it and starting again.

If not, try moving the dedicated server somewhere else and starting it up again. If Windows askes if you want to unblock it, select Unblock.
No, it has once asked it, and I clicked on allow It's in the exceptions tab
Hmm, how strange, it sounds as if Windows is totally blocking it. I'll try and do a little testing here in a couple of minutes, when I have a sec.
I've got to go anyway, so testing won't have any use
Now thats annoying; I had this working with the Windows Firewall the other day, now its refusing to play - with the same symptoms.

If you turn off the dedicated server, turn off the Windows Firewall, and then restart the dedicated server, it works fine I'll bet.
:doh: I know why. I've got my instructions wrong up there. I've got them added as a program, instead of as a "service" which others can connect to as. I'll ammend them shortly.

Edit:
Fixed. Sorry about that hrtburnout and anyone else who may have followed those instructions. I must've gone off in a total day dream when I was writing up the original version If you follow the ammended version, it should now work
Never mind, still glad you helped me

edit: It feckin' works!!! Thanks!!! :bowdown:
Fantastic
i dont get it... last week i set up my server and some people connected. but i have been running the server on and off for the last week and everyone who tries to connect all it says on the server is "new guest timed out"

the name of the server is Tampa Bay Rush Hour if u want to see if u can connect

I can connect fine, I'm afraid drinklime. It maybe something else at the client's end, or something else like your ISP's routing is a having a few problems.

Guide: Running an LFS Server
(666 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG