The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
lol every time i use one of my cards for iracing they phone me about it, trouble is they sometimes take a few hours so it can be when you're asleep, no answer and they'll send a bloody text which wouldn't be a problem but i've got a long text tone as i don't always hear it in work so it always wakes me up.

best bit is if you don't reply to text they assume the transactions ok, so if i get mugged and they take my wallet and phone and try to buy something dodgy i've got to pray they reply to the text and ask the payment to be blocked

love dave kaemmer's blog about Q circles, first time i've found mathematics that entertaining

http://www.iracing.com/news/bl ... -crop-circles-of-iracing/
Do you guys think iRacing is worth it? I recently just got a wheel (like yesterday :P) and I am wondering whether I should try iRacing. Is it significantly better than LFS?
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :Do you guys think iRacing is worth it? I should try iRacing. Is it significantly better than LFS?

Buy three (3) months for $12. After you tried it, come say here what did you think.
If you only just got your first wheel I'd definitely recommend spending some more time in LFS learning how to use it. Then you can try iRacing. That way your whole experience there will be much better.
+1, take time to get used to your wheel first, no point wasting some subs on learning to drive again, once your as fast with a wheel as you were before you can think about iracing.
I'm going to disagree, don't see what using the wheel in LFS is going to do for you since iRacing has different physics and just feels different overall. You're going to have to relearn that feeling when you switch over to iRacing either way. If you've been bored with LFS I think you'll enjoy something new in iRacing.
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :Do you guys think iRacing is worth it? I recently just got a wheel (like yesterday :P) and I am wondering whether I should try iRacing. Is it significantly better than LFS?

It's better, but only visually. If you like structure & always being measured then its for you. I doubt iR will ever live up to its price tag.
Quote from anttt69 :It's better, but only visually.

..in your opinion.

Personally I'd say iRacing is better in every aspect than LFS and certainly justifies it's price.

That's not to say it's in any way perfect, but no sim is.
guys....is there something like shift-u camera in iRacing? I saw a lot of nice videos and I wonder how they did it because its not possible with the standard cameras
Ctrl - F12 .
Quote from The Moose :..in your opinion.

Personally I'd say iRacing is better in every aspect than LFS and certainly justifies it's price.

That's not to say it's in any way perfect, but no sim is.

I have been playing iRacing for an hour now. and I agree with you.

I don't know what it is, but iRacing just feels a lot better than LFS. I am completely sold.

One question tho. I was driving the MX5 and the Legend Ford, and I had a lot of trouble with the braking. The brakes lock very easily. Is there anywhere I can change the brake force?
The auto-renew thing is pure fail... I forgot that completely and i see it has renewed for no reason for 2 months now...

But, I bought the Impala SS, and it's bloody awesome around Laguna Seca.
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :I have been playing iRacing for an hour now. and I agree with you.

I don't know what it is, but iRacing just feels a lot better than LFS. I am completely sold.

One question tho. I was driving the MX5 and the Legend Ford, and I had a lot of trouble with the braking. The brakes lock very easily. Is there anywhere I can change the brake force?

have a look in the options / controls screen, on the left side under the steering adjustment there is a brake force curve adjustment, try adjusting that, the auto measurement feature is ok to start with but a little bit of tweaking can help tailor it to your personal taste.

if you find you need a different value for each car tick the "custom contorls" box at the bottom left then you can set it for each car
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :Is there anywhere I can change the brake force?

Yup, with the middle-pedal

Joking aside, with most cars the braking treshold is between 75-90% and you cannot make LFS-style setups where set braking force low enough to prevent lockups. If you're experiencing lockups much earlier and brake feels super-sensitive, could be that you need to calibrate pedals by fully pressing them once before exiting pits (for example G25 pedals lose calibration if you unplug the USB-cord).
Quote from The Moose :

If you can justify a $300 ($600 with oval cont) racing sim whilst comparing to LFS i will eat my hat. Here are five basic things that iRacing does not have.

Driver Swaps (no endurance racing then?)
Driver animations
Brakes overheat
Clutch overheat
Live tyre temps/wear

Better in every aspect?? I dont think so.
Quote from anttt69 :
Live tyre temps/wear

LFS is unrealistic in this regard, you can check them in the pits in iR which is more true to life.
Quote from anttt69 :If you can justify a $300 ($600 with oval cont) racing sim whilst comparing to LFS i will eat my hat. Here are five basic things that iRacing does not have.

Driver Swaps (no endurance racing then?)
Driver animations
Brakes overheat
Clutch overheat
Live tyre temps/wear

Better in every aspect?? I dont think so.

Also, I love the fact that i can jump in to a competitive or relaxed race within seconds with LFS. LFS also has an offline mode
Quote from anttt69 :If you can justify a $300 ($600 with oval cont) racing sim whilst comparing to LFS i will eat my hat.

I can justify it because I'd rather spend good money on something I will use every day than spend very little on something that is gathering dust and hasn't been fired up for at least 18 months.

Driver swaps are coming http://members.iracing.com/jfo ... t/50/1452476.page#3120825

Driver animations would be great, but as they are only useful for replays I can live without them for the time being. Hardly a deal breaker (and they don't look that good in LFS anyway.. much prefer them in nkPro)

Brakes overheating... Does LFS have this? Its so long since I fired it up I cant remember.. I certainly don't remember it ever happening to me.

Clutch overheat.. Ok, you got me on this one. That's one plus in LFS' favour

Live tyre temps/wear... Riiight.. like that's realistic No thanks, I prefer it the way iRacing does it.
The brakes are the thing I hate most about iRacing.

The structured race times is the thing I hate second most.

The rest is pretty good.
Quote from anttt69 :
Driver animations

I will eat my shit if you said that seriously. Do you drive LFS just because you can see the ****ing hands moving?
Quote from DeadWolfBones :The brakes are the thing I hate most about iRacing.

The structured race times is the thing I hate second most.

The rest is pretty good.

What's wrong with the brakes in iRacing? After switching from LFS to iRacing, the brakes in LFS were one of the things I hated the most about it.
Quote from 65D :I will eat my shit if you said that seriously. Do you drive LFS just because you can see the ****ing hands moving?

In interior mode it would be nice, or at least the wheel moving with you.
Quote from BlakjeKaas :In interior mode it would be nice, or at least the wheel moving with you.

when you're viewing another car or do you mean when your viewing / driving your own?

the steering wheel does move when you're in your own car / the car who's driver saved the replay, the only time it appears fixed is when you're viewing another car or if you have the steering wheel unchecked in the graphics options and the car still requires the wheel to be there to present instruments (as in the williams. ford V8 supercar etc).

i assume the idea of the wheel not moving when viewing other drivers is the same as why you can't see their throttle / brake / steering imputs etc, i.e. to keep secret what their control inputs are.
Quote from tinvek :i assume the idea of the wheel not moving when viewing other drivers is the same as why you can't see their throttle / brake / steering imputs etc, i.e. to keep secret what their control inputs are.

Which is dumb. There are plenty of real racing series where viewers can see real time data on driver inputs, not sure why its some closely guarded secret in online racing. Either people can drive or not, you're not just going to magically copy someone else's driving by watching a replay.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG