The online racing simulator
Quote from Scawen :Yes, I was also asking myself what I am doing here...

I am quite pleased with the contact patch / tread simulation at the moment, several recent updates resulted in more interesting and realistic handling. But there are some aspects of the current tyre model that do not change in the same way as a real tyre, for example with changes in pressure or load. This is due to the lateral deformation of the tyre's carcass (the cords and wires encased in rubber that hold its shape).

So my current focus is to get the real time model's carcass deformation to be a better approximation of reality. It's different with every tyre but there are of course common things between all radial tyres. LFS tyres won't be exactly like any particular real tyre but they need to be good tyres and obviously behave like ones that could exist.

So I've been looking at a tyre simulation to answer these questions. It's a sort of virtual tyre test rig I've had for a long time but it needed some improvements. It represents the cords and belts of a tyre held in shape by the tyre's pressure. The general idea is to make that simulation a good approximation of reality, so it can fill in the gaps, giving me more answers than I can get from the various real world test results I can get my hands on. It doesn't run in real time, and takes a couple of minutes to run its tests and generate the results. It's in those periods I've been checking my email and some post notifications have sent me in here to see what's up.

I don't mind the usual criticism but when I see sarcastic or insulting posts then I'm tempted to react, either as a developer or a moderator... when it gets too annoying, I guess I'll unsubscribe again.

Scawen, if I may.

Firstly, I think what you are doing - the efforts to making handling etc more realistic is a noble one. We get several racing "simulators" a year with new content and I am feeling indifferent every time I have tried them - the handling just isn't realistic at all. Soon I just drop them. LFS has been a simulator in the past for me from which I drew great pleasure of for several hours in a row.

Secondly, LFS hasn't had new content (and by content I mean a few tracks and a few cars) for a couple of years now. It's like screwing the prettyest model in the world. At some point it will not be exciting as the first 100 times.

Now I am not the one who wants to shout or demand new things and please don't get me wrong. That's not what I am trying to say. I respect the fact that' it is Scavier's simulator and not mine. However, I would just love it to bits if we could get a few new tracks and cars to drive on - not for free, mind you. I'd be perfectly happy to pay a lot of money for them if I knew I wasn't renting them (as in iRacing). They don't need to be perfect right away. Make them raceable now as in current S2 handling - it is perfectly cool the way it is now - few simulators can match it anyway and it would give the community immense amount of pleasure. Then work on the new tyre/handling model for a few years again - let's be honest, few have tried to make as good handling model as you are trying to do and I bet even god doesn't know how long it can take. And the better it will be the happier I will be. But I just wish there was a few new tracks to drive the cars around on.
Oh just sit and wait some more patiently, you can do it. S3 content is on the way. Physics updates have to be done and are almost done, so there is nothing to discuss about that.
Quote from baSh0r :By the way, for all those who still want to party the extremly fast progress of this game. Its been just 2 years since the scirocco got announced.

So throw a party or something.

Nobody is "partying" that. We all would love to have more frequent updates, it's just that some people are intelligent enough to have realized by now that moaning and whining doesn't make the progress any faster.

Quote from baSh0r :Finish it already, it's been about time. I honestly understand that it takes time but its been 730 days and all the community has got to see is about nothing. It would be at least nice to get some report on something. Remember you have got a huge community behind you three guys who have the patience and the trust in you so its about time to give them something back.

You might want to check Scawen's posting history.
Quote from Amynue : Physics updates have to be done and are almost done, so there is nothing to discuss about that.

That is your personal feeling about it, I guess.. But its stated nowhere officially.
Quote from zeugnimod :Nobody is "partying" that. We all would love to have more frequent updates, it's just that some people are intelligent enough to have realized by now that moaning and whining doesn't make the progress any faster.

You might want to check Scawen's posting history.

So you are satisfied to get the runaround all the time. I agree with you that moaning and whining doesn't help the progress, but it wouldnt be hard to give any more specific comments on the progress. I mean just a few new screenshots would sooo cool down the heat and lift up the spirits, but i guess that is just too much already.
Quote from baSh0r :but it wouldnt be hard to give any more specific comments on the progress. I mean just a few new screenshots would sooo cool down the heat and lift up the spirits, but i guess that is just too much already.

How do you know that it wouldn't be hard to make comments on the progress. I'm sure Scawen should throw around with words that nobody except BBT, Niels and some others can understand but that wouldn't really make sense.

And how do you make a screenshot of physics?

And I'm pretty sure that those screenshots wouldn't cool down the heat and lift up the spirits.
Quote from cargame.nl :That is your personal feeling about it, I guess.. But its stated nowhere officially.

It's not my personal feeling:
Quote from Scawen :most important in my opinion and many others is to get the cars feeling right and handling right.

Quote from zeugnimod :And how do you make a screenshot of physics?

Yea, video would make more sense, but still not much. You have to play it to get the real idea what the new physics is like.
I guarantee you that a new scirocco screenshot on rockingham would make the community totally freak out.
Quote from baSh0r :I guarantee you that a new scirocco screenshot on rockingham would make the community totally freak out.

Right word: Apeshit
Why not allow people to work as he knows, does not help, just chat bullshit
Who you gonna call?

:bitehard:
Quote from Amynue :It's not my personal feeling:

Yea, video would make more sense, but still not much. You have to play it to get the real idea what the new physics is like.

Learn to read. That comment says nothing of the sort what you are.
Quote from Amynue :It's not my personal feeling:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scawen
most important in my opinion and many others is to get the cars feeling right and handling right.

It is.. Where exactly do you read it's almost finished?

Quote from baSh0r :a new scirocco screenshot on rockingham would make the community totally freak out.

Probably yes.. In a bad way.
Actually what bashor is asking for is, I think, for news about CONTENT about ERIC not about Scawen.
Scawen gave us much information about his progress but... We know NOTHING about Eric's work
Quote from Sir moi 407 :We know NOTHING about Eric's work

Quote from Eric :I really dont feel the need to justify the way or even the pace at which I work to anyone. The conditions I have to work in and the tools I have to work with affect only me, so I will deal with things my own way. I would say I'm sorry if you don't like it, but the truth is I'm not sorry. I am my own boss. I don't answer to anyone. Get over it.

i don't like it either, but that's his response to any concerns.
Quote :I’d recommend visiting our forum once a week or so and check if the test-patch section has returned. It will be around that time the patch will be near.

From this quote of Victor i can make up that the new physics are getting close.
You should check other sites then LFS forums once in a while
The love that you bring
You bring me alone
The pain that you give
Gives me a home

Do you wanna stay by my side
Do you want me to turn and hide
We are disappearing inside
Seeing pictures of our goodbyes

When we, we believe
That our love will survive
The pain that you bring
It brings me all alone

Do you love me,
Do you hate me,
Do you wanna believe me,
Do you think that you don't need me
Do you wanna deceive me

I can't take that, it's all over don't want to forget
I can take the disappointment down, I want to repress your
Goodbye...
Goodbye...
@rockclan: May I ask you why you are quoting a Serj Tankian song in the Tyre Physics report thread?

i mean the song is great, no doubt in that, but i don't see the connection between it and LFS ^^
Quote from McLinux :@rockclan: May I ask you why you are quoting a Serj Tankian song in the Tyre Physics report thread?

i mean the song is great, no doubt in that, but i don't see the connection between it and LFS ^^

Had to think of that lyrics when I read all the whining (loving,pain,believing,hating).
Then at least write a song about LFS :P

Scawen makes physics solution,
but some people want revolution.
The devs are a bit slow, we all know this,
yet some people does not acknowledge this.

Eric is the one, who gives us the main content,
but no one see him, so we are a bit content.
He makes cars that everyone likes,
But it has nothing with release times.

Victor answers our questions peacefully,
but no release times, to be truthfully.
He always seem to be with us here,
But he doesn't read the replies either here.

I think I'm finished with this one,
If you don't like it, do a better one.
We are all waiting for the next patch now,
but just look at some people: how?

Sorry
That reeeally makes me question how much time you have on your hands at 5:30 AM.

My song/meme

Hello ladies, Now look at your Need for speed, Now back to Live for Speed, Now back to your Need for speed, Now back to Live for Speed! Sadly, They arn't LFS, But if they stopped making horrible games and switched to better games they could be like LFS!! Look down, Back up, Where are you? You're in a car, With the physics your Company could create like! What's in your hand, Back at me, I have it, It's a game that was developed by three people and blows away companys, Look again, The game is now a franchise! Anything is possible when your commander shoots like me, I'm in an FZR.
Quote from Live For Kill :Then at least write a song about LFS :P

The devs are a bit slow, we all know this,
yet some people does not acknowledge this.

And im one off them,
in my eyes its very simple, we all know that Iracing / RFactor / LFS are also working on tyre phisics. Non off them are having something released yet.

its correct that iracing is releasing new Cars and tracks, but thats not the case in lfs and rfactor (non-mods)

iracing is having 2 developers working on the tyre phisics model (1 more then lfs).

Rfacter is also having more then 1 guy working on it. ( the owner said this last year over at Simracingtonight)

so in my eyes, when lfs got it released between 2 years and now, they are fast, very fast because Rfactor is allready working on it from dec 2007 ( one year more then lfs)

So "Slow" is an inaccurate word.

p.s. if you disagree, please come with prove, show me some Special tyre physics model
This thread is closed

[OLD] Tyre Physics Progress Report
(4434 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG