The online racing simulator
I tried iRacing and...
(257 posts, started )
I tried iRacing and...
...it f*ckin sucks! It's been a long time that I wanted to try it so yesterday I bought a 12$ one month session to finally try the suppose to be good game. Once my gears where setup in place and every button assigned I started my first race in test mode.

After lapping for about 10 minutes here's what I've concluded: The drive is really different from LFS' one, the graphic are a lilttle better but they got a bad optimization so I must turn everything down to get a good framerate (I run LFS at maximum and it's looking perfect).

When I log in on the iRacing website and want to play ... everything seems fine but there's something I don't like, it's kinda too serious, LFS is way more friendly. So that's what I now think of iRacing, do not waste your money on it LFS is perfect (and still a beta), just wait for updates and keep racing. Thanks for reading.

LFS or GTFO +1
#3 - BLOBO
+1
#4 - ZanZi
Quote from mpelletier92 :...it f*ckin sucks! ... it's kinda too serious ...

What if some people like more serious racing than knobling around with grumpy kids? Everybody with their likes. Just an advice tho - spend time on it ull see the point.
Does any of you tried iRacing? Seriously when I check videos of it and people (who plays it) talking about it ... damn! The game seems so cool. I really overrated it cause when I was playing all I was telling to myself was: 12 bucks for that joke? What? It's a joke right... ? The fun part will come soon eh? ... but no, the game is just not what LFS is PERIOD.

LFS or GTFO
It's not LFS, you're right - in some ways it helps and in other ways it hinders. Neither are sheet, so I suggest you try more of iRacing (and LFS for that matter given your join date) - both offer different things.
It does not suck. I play iRacing more than LFS, and I felt the same as you do after 1 week. But then I got new contents, and I love it right now.
People are starting to get more and more annoying. Finding about 4.3 Posts a day concerning how you care about something. Just get it to Off-Topic already.
#9 - Bean0
:feedtroll
I tryed it once. Must say: I'm not really convinced. I like it, in some ways, but the feel of LFS is better. For me nothing beats LFS in realistic feel.

It's a judgement just based on feel.

Since i drive IRL alot, i think i can make a good comparision.

LFS all the way.

But, never really tryed Iracing for a long period though.
I haven't turned a wheel in LFS after trying iRacing.
Both sims have their own minuses, but calling it shit... Find other sim where development is so fast, they are doing great job, newest build is amazing! Only iRacing is used by real NASCAR drivers. Not to play around in free time, but PRACTICE. Wyatt Gooden started his real life career... BECAUSE HE WON A CHAMP IN IRACING. Not much sims can make you a real life racing star. I guess you haven't decided what you really want yet, your argument like "LOL I SPENT 12 DOLLA FOR A SHIT SIM" is dumb, maybe you're just too shite for it?
Quote from baSh0r :People are starting to get more and more annoying. Finding about 4.3 Posts a day concerning how you care about something. Just get it to Off-Topic already.

/signed

Just more and more bullshit comin here from nearly EVERYONE, it sucks.
I have been part of iracing for about a year and a half now, maybe two - I can't remember (class A now, thank you), and as the original post said: It's alot more serious.

They don't call it a game, it's a simulation, and for good reason! When you have major racers joining sessions regularly, you know you've done something special. I have raced with the likes of Earnhardt Jr and Allmendinger (and maybe a few from street racing, but I don't know many names from any of those series). When you finish in front of them, it doesn't feel like a game - it's a true to life sim. To me, knowing that I am even on the same playing field with those famous racers makes the fees worth it.

People often complain about how the rookie cars "slide" through the corners - but that's just the thing, it's only the rookie cars. You won't be doing that in the Star Mazda or the SK Modified (or anything else for that matter)...You have to actually "prove" you are able to control a car before you have your license upgraded.

Alot of people also complain about all the wrecking in the rookie classes...that's because it's the rookie class - don't race there if you have the ability to race something else. If not - race, race and race until you can get out of it - there's a TON of clean racing to be had, you just have to get out of the rookie races to find it...however, I still find it fun to race the rookie legends - what a blast! Besides, if my rating goes down because of a wreck, it's easy to make up in the next race!

As for comparing it to LFS - it's apples and oranges. I love both sims (even though it appears that LFS development has come to a painful halt - which is one of the few faults I can find with LFS). In LFS I mainly race the MRT and UFR now because they are quick agile little things, and it seems like I get a better sense of speed when compared to other vehicles.

So while I do enjoy iRacing, I will still run LFS, alot.
I dont like that paying strategy, thats awful on iRacing. And "where is the demo?" question is still in the air.... just look at the cars/tracks and i feel a tons of american racing, those Nascar IndyCar series, V8 etc. from the car list only Jetta interested me, other cars looks porly (not graphics but they are exactly that what i wanted to never drive)..... never tried but these things about game made me not interested.
Quote from Raito :I dont like that paying strategy, thats awful on iRacing. And "where is the demo?" question is still in the air.... just look at the cars/tracks and i feel a tons of american racing, those Nascar IndyCar series, V8 etc. from the car list only Jetta interested me, other cars looks porly (not graphics but they are exactly that what i wanted to never drive)..... never tried but these things about game made me not interested.

Umm....

Formula 1 '79 Lotus? Formula 1 Williams? And how can you want to drive the Jetta!!! A boring FWD over the V8 Supercar!!!

and BTW V8 Supercar isn't "american" it's australian. It's also one of the more powerful touring cars and the australian series is a beast to drive in

Also...did you forget about laser scanned Spa? And there's nothing wrong with american road courses. Actually America has one of the best circuits in the world tbh. Laguna Seca, Road America, Sebring, Mid-Ohio, etc

And NASCARs aren't as boring to drive as they seem in real life I bet you'll spin on your first time driving a CoT

Most people I've known who are skeptical about oval racing found themselves shocked when they try iRacing oval racing
well i think iracing is great and all..but if you beat the famous people..then why dont you get a racing deal?

if its a sim, so its meant to teach you, where is the tire pressure, the suspension damage, the visuals on suspension. why cant you change everything to expirament. why cant you make sets that just WONT.WORK.?
Quote from logitekg25 :if its a sim, so its meant to teach you, where is the tire pressure, the suspension damage, the visuals on suspension. why cant you change everything to expirament. why cant you make sets that just WONT.WORK.?

Ummm....what?
Logitek, you can set tyre pressure, there is suspension damage and even the slightest change on the set makes the car feel different.
sorry tired

iracing has almost nothing to teach you, which is what a sim is also meant to do. it just basically lets you practice

there is no way to gauge your tires, no way to see what damage your suspension has, no way to see how your suspension reacts to certain things you do. you cant compare the way suspension moves in one set to the other.

it doesnt let you save sets that wont let the car move, or something like that, you cant really learn from it

EDIT: i get you can change things, but you cant see exactly whats happening to it.

if you want to get into racing like racing road cars professionally (is there a such thing?) where other then the engine or such, you can have whatever tires, or suspension you want..you cant ajust the suspension to allow you to practice
I shall die a happy man in knowing that you don't like iRacing ...

I get it you don't like it and tbh it's not my cup of tea either but would not this rant be better in the iRacing forum where people that use iRacing reside.
if you are talking to me, i just dont get the feeling i get in lfs with iracing, it just seems a bit too hard to correct, and to not spin in that game

i dont mind it at all
Quote from Join Date: Sep 2009 :...it f*ckin sucks! So that's what I now think of iRacing, do not waste your money on it LFS is perfect (and still a beta), just wait for updates and keep racing.

Reread this ^ after 3-4-5 years later if you're still into simracing by then and report back.

iRacing is okayish as it is and does pretty good job for us LFS oldtimers seeking for some novelty / fresh content. Before going the iRacing route I'd have been happy to give my money to Scavier for new content and improvements instead, but sadly there wasn't such option. And you're right by saying iRacing is more serious than LFS. For good and bad. Valid point, it may not fit everyone's taste.
Quote from mpelletier92 :...it f*ckin sucks! It's been a long time that I wanted to try it so yesterday I bought a 12$ one month session to finally try the suppose to be good game. Once my gears where setup in place and every button assigned I started my first race in test mode.

After lapping for about 10 minutes here's what I've concluded: The drive is really different from LFS' one, the graphic are a lilttle better but they got a bad optimization so I must turn everything down to get a good framerate (I run LFS at maximum and it's looking perfect).

When I log in on the iRacing website and want to play ... everything seems fine but there's something I don't like, it's kinda too serious, LFS is way more friendly. So that's what I now think of iRacing, do not waste your money on it LFS is perfect (and still a beta), just wait for updates and keep racing. Thanks for reading.

I've had iRacing for years now, rFactor for double as long, some GTR and GTR 2 here and there, racer for the odd fun drive and LFS for 8 years. In the meantime I have also driven various formulae and other racing cars, and it is my conviction that iRacing delivers one of the most realistic simulation drives yet. What it lacks in some parts of the experience, it makes up for in graphics, sense of realism etc. LFS comes second in many aspects, and I know that many of the things bugging me about LFS' physics simulation are already being worked on by the team.

With that in mind, I can't see why it is so important for some people to create this "we are better than them!" mood with threads like this or the rFactor vs. LFS thread. You don't have to choose either one. I can do iRacing for a couple of hours and when that becomes too serious, I switch to rFactor or GTR and sometimes I do a couple of nostalgic laps in LFS. It's not like having one game bars you from using any of its competitors. The fact that a team of three developers have created a simulator that is competing with simulators with 10-30 times is remarkable in itself - I don't expect three people to create the most realistic simulation in all of mankind, and so I don't mind that there are options out there that are more realistic. LFS will always be something special, for many reasons.
In LFS I had to spend time getting all my hardware just right to get a good experience, along with familiarising myself with the physics and then there was setting up the car properly. Once I had a grasp on these things driving became like in real life and that is second nature. The same is true of my experience in iRacing. Biggest adjustment for LFSer's trying iRacing is I suspect locking tyres under braking as you cant just mash the brake pedal as there is no Max Brake Pressure setting in iRacing, second to that is that a little more throttle control is required in most cases in iRacing than LFS especially away from the rookie cars.

iRacing has car and tracks that I have longed for LFS to get and there is some talk of Bathurst and other Aussie tracks being included at later stages, so for the time being I can't go past iRacing

iRacing doesn't have to be all serious either there are demolition derby events held regularly here in Aus on hosted servers and I have found a few like minded individuals who I hang out with in open practise servers doing laps, chatting, etc just the same as I have done in the past in LFS

As for setup changes etc once you get away from the rookie cars the setup options are fairly comparable to LFS. As for seeing what different setup changes do what more do you need other than tyre temp/pressure readings, lap timing and driver feedback?

I still like LFS a lot and will no doubt upgrade to S3 and try any new patches but for me the content of iRacing has the edge and the physics feel to me at least is as good and better in most areas.

One thing I love about iRacing is that I always feel I can go abit faster get a bit more out of every car and track that I race on. I didn't get that same feeling in LFS.

I tried iRacing and...
(257 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG