The online racing simulator
I tried iRacing and...
(257 posts, started )
Quote from zeugnimod :Examples?

Don't forget that "plan" and "promise" are two very different words.

maybe broken plans
You know...

Half the problem (for those that perceive one here) is that they never make any promises, and people interpret their plans AS promises. The BIGGEST reason people do that is because they claim that they don't make any announcements until they have something to announce. Therefore; when hell freezes over and they DO open their mouths about their super secret "we don't tell you because we don't want to and don't feel like it so take that you interlopers" plans and ideas, everyone makes the mistake of thinking it's concrete.

It's ass backwards from they way they say it is. Scawen says he doesn't care about forum negativity and it doesn't affect him; and in the same breath says he keeps his mouth shut because of the forum - huge double standard and clearly two lies in one. I think he's a great guy with a programmers mind and not the personality to simply deal properly with the public. But, as he says, it's HIS project so suck it up and piss off or find some other game that's better. Never mind treating the small vocal userbase with an attitude that will bring in other paying loudmouths, no time for that. At least until things run a bit dry, then I'm sure he'll look for ways to bring in a decent amount of PR.

Modern software development is growing in a far more user oriented (justified or not) direction very rapidly now that communication is simple. I gather he wants to live in the previous decade where having any sort of accountability simply doesn't suit the taste of the developer. Boo hoo, what a pity.
Quote from tinvek :......, i seem to recall that scanwen stated that the reason why he had held back the VW was because the faults were exposed when they had a real car to compare the results against

who's scanwen?
Quote from z-ro 8 :Pretty much, yeah.......now who wants to throw the aerodynamics section in?

It's most likely both just as in LFS. LFS has the tire loading grip problem and the lack of some suspension dynamics that Scawen is working on now. You can't really bad mouth either sim much for these problems because it is monstrously complex.

The way iRacing behaves with the changes leads me to believe that there is more fudging going on with the suspensions and tires than there is in LFS, but that's just my impression. In other words, you have little hacks in to adjust for known problems and every time you make changes, those hacks have to be modified to try and balance things out again.

I've done a bit of racing in iRacing. I see the same things I see in LFS, just not quite as extreme when it comes to driving technique. I haven't messed with setups much other than to see that the tire pressures work as expected where LFS is backwards on that.

Contrary to BBT, I see understeer being more of a problem in iRacing than LFS. You pretty much have to turn in and continue to crank in large amounts of steering angle to get a car to rotate through a corner. Yes, in some cars the throttle steer works really well, almost too well. If you build a loose setup, you'll have a major, unpredictable handful. On the good side, once you start a slide, the tank-slapper effect seems pretty darned reasonable to me.
Quote from Hallen :Contrary to BBT, I see understeer being more of a problem in iRacing than LFS.

I do also find the most prodominant characteristic I am always battling with in iRacing is understeer and normally fighting it on two fronts, dialing it out as much as possible with set up tweaks and adjusting driving style.

Keep in mind though that the average set you grab in LFS has already been adjusted a lot to dial out or enhance certain characteristics.

I do find this also to be true in sets I get for iRacing but perhaps not to the same extent. And I do note in iRacing that a lot of drivers carry part throttle to reduce the understeer effect and thereofore probably inadvertently create sets with understeer mid corner (were I notice it most) to suit their driving style that they have picked up earlier I don't mind a little understeer mid corner so you can get on the throttle early but many sets seem to have extreme understeer mid corner to me (most notable in the Ford Mustang sets I've downloaded).
Please Glenn.... at least get your D class Oval license
Quote from StableX :Please Glenn.... at least get your D class Oval license

I will not drive ovals
I've always wondered about that game. Probably try a demo sometime.

On an off topic note. Richard Burns Rally = awesome.
Quote from ReflectionSpeak :I've always wondered about that game. Probably try a demo sometime.

On an off topic note. Richard Burns Rally = awesome.

no demo there basically, you pay it, you play it!
brilliant game is i racing, it is a shame about the price structure however..

As for people having problems with understeer, adding more lock certainatley will make things worse!

And throughout this thread it seems, "i played iracing, it doesnt feel like lfs so i dont like it!"
I bought 3 months worth, this is my second week. I dont think I'm coming back, iracing is great, everyone(almost) races clean and avoids wrecks as much as possible. The tracks and cars look great thanks to the laser scanning. I highly recommend it.
I tried it. I absolutely love it. The Solstice has the same handling characteristics as my Miata. And its really easy to pick up and be fast. Sliding it around Laguna Seca took all of 3 laps before I was competitive.

Working on getting my promotions out of rookie this month. Already won me a few races. It's great. Very clean racing too. I thought LFS had great netcode, but this is that tiny bit better.

I still love LFS's teaching tools. The suspension readouts, tire deformation, force views, racing line, etc.

The fact that ALL of that is taken out (especailly the line) evens up iRacings playing field and allows players to be more human (less race by numbers) and spend the time learning the car and the track much like in real life.

When I want to just drive for driving sake and maybe casually race with other people, I'll come to LFS for a few drift laps, or race laps, or when I just want to play with a road car. No one does road cars like LFS.

But then, no one does serious racing like iRacing. I don't know what kind of matchmaking witchcraft is going on, but I've had really close racing in iRacing. In LFS I'm always midpack without a single car near me. Mind you, I'm still in fixed setup races. Which do wonders for competitiveness. I can't wait for fixed setups in LFS.
Quote from Ziploc :I tried it. I absolutely love it. The Solstice has the same handling characteristics as my Miata. And its really easy to pick up and be fast. Sliding it around Laguna Seca took all of 3 laps before I was competitive.

Working on getting my promotions out of rookie this month. Already won me a few races. It's great. Very clean racing too. I thought LFS had great netcode, but this is that tiny bit better.

I still love LFS's teaching tools. The suspension readouts, tire deformation, force views, racing line, etc.

The fact that ALL of that is taken out (especailly the line) evens up iRacings playing field and allows players to be more human (less race by numbers) and spend the time learning the car and the track much like in real life.

When I want to just drive for driving sake and maybe casually race with other people, I'll come to LFS for a few drift laps, or race laps, or when I just want to play with a road car. No one does road cars like LFS.

But then, no one does serious racing like iRacing. I don't know what kind of matchmaking witchcraft is going on, but I've had really close racing in iRacing. In LFS I'm always midpack without a single car near me. Mind you, I'm still in fixed setup races. Which do wonders for competitiveness. I can't wait for fixed setups in LFS.

this, its definitely worth a try if you are into serious racing without people ruining races by purposely crashing others.
Quote from codyflick929 :this, its definitely worth a try if you are into serious racing without people ruining races by purposely crashing others.

You are saying that as if that is happening in LFS.
Quote from zeugnimod :You are saying that as if that is happening in LFS.

Sadly he is right, ever tried random-server racing these days?
Quote from The Very End :Sadly he is right, ever tried random-server racing these days?

Yeah, I mostly race on public servers and it's not nearly as bad as he makes it out to be.
Well depends, but saying "generall" is not right. There are good, and bad racing in LFS, but when beeing on random crowed racing servers there is T1 mayhem in 90% of the races. However, there are a lot of good servers and racing too..

But it's an area for improvement
Yeah but most of those people are just beginners who don't know any better. They aren't actual wreckers.

Of course, there are some morons but certainly not one on every crowded server all the time or something.
@ codyflick929; zeugnimod; The Very End; to whom in may concern;

Being a beginner while also not knowing any better doesn't make it alright to bump or ram or just plain crash.

codyflick929's comment makes racing on public LFS servers seem as though all crashes are done purposefully; however that is not the case. I like to 'trade paint' as much as the next guy, but you have to know we are all racing over finicky internet connections. Also LFS packets are received 3-6/sec. These factors have to be kept in mind when racing, and there is no excuse for disregarding them.

Let's disregard cost. iRacing has a much better environment for pickup races. Their system makes sure everyone allowed in a race is up-to-par when it comes to driving safely. However, iRacing achieves this by allowing few methods by which to move up the ranks. This makes experienced drivers that are new to iRacing have to spend a lot of time catching up to their abilities.

In comparison to iRacing, LFS allows everyone to do as we please: from racing GTR type cars, to crashing into people for lulz. This freedom allows us to form communities, host servers, black-list wreckers, and et cetera. The key point being freedom in what we choose to do with our online racing experience.

We all can make decisions for ourselves, and your decisions should only apply to yourself. Having said all that I guess we can all go on doing as we please, but be forewarned: if what you choose is pestering people, then the community will decide what to do with you.
I bought iracing just yesterday. I got the 3 month pack to see what all the hype is about and I have to say...im a bit underwhelmed so far.

I've tried the 3 default cars as well as the mazda star. For me none of these feel quite as accurate as the LFS cars do. The force feedback through the wheel is a bit lacking, especially when you lose traction. You can see the car sliding on screen but you certainly can't feel it. Not the way you do in LFS anyway.

I don't think much of the interface either. The setup screen is crap compared to LFS and there really isn't many features.

I realise that the idea behind iracing is the clean, competitive racing. But I'm not real interested if there is something like LFS that feels better. Too bad iracing has all the tracks and all the content

I'll keep trying it over the next few weeks but not real interested in it so far.
the setup screen varies from car to car, if you see the one for the indy car it's very comprehensive, especially on the aero side which has far more parameters then LFS.

re the feedback, i sort of know what you mean but after running iracing for a while and altering my profiler etc i was suprised to find how dead LFS felt when i came back to it recently so i suspect both have their sweet spots in settings. also for some reason a lot of the setups for the mazda seem to be designed (either deliberately or accidently) to reduce the amount of feel you get through the wheel. where as the solstice appears to have the fabled feather light US power steering that uk mags moaned about for years and years.

as i've said before and will in the future, to me both sims complement each other both in their aims and in their communities, both have good points and members, both have bad points and members, in particular you will probably see less deliberate bad driving on iracing but conversely the iracing forum makes some of the wildest threads here look like a love in.
Quote from tinvek :

re the feedback, i sort of know what you mean but after running iracing for a while and altering my profiler etc i was suprised to find how dead LFS felt when i came back to it recently so i suspect both have their sweet spots in settings. also for some reason a lot of the setups for the mazda seem to be designed (either deliberately or accidently) to reduce the amount of feel you get through the wheel. where as the solstice appears to have the fabled feather light US power steering that uk mags moaned about for years and years.

Hit it really dead on tinvek. When I first went from LFS to iRacing, iR just felt horrible to me. But after some settings and wheel adjustments LFS now is the one that feels bad for me. After about 3 weeks of straight iRacing LFS just now feels lumpy and life-less...

For me, what has sold me to iRacing straight away is
1: sensative damage
2: persistent world license system (I loved CTRA btw)
3: very dynamic tracks. They all feel like torn, dirty, worn and bumpy real tracks while LFS tracks feels way too smooth and "sterile"
4: Very good content. (I.E. Laser scanned Spa)

All those just seems so much better than LFS for me atm. Especially the damage
I was in a hosted Late Model race earlier, and no less than 4 people I know from LFS joined and started small-talk about their recent LFS activity(or lack thereof).

Then piped up someone I didn't know, and they said, "is that game still Alpha?".

So it seems there are many people that spent alot of time loving this sim, but just grew tired of it for their own reasons. There really wasn't any trash talk, if anything simply a little disappointment.

So maybe we just wait, fingers crossed, 12 pounds in hand......

And Lizard explained it very well, as far as the difference in feel.
I can say without shame that a loose car to me in LFS spells disaster. But after a few weeks in iRacing, LFS seems to have almost too much grip. Strange how that works out.
iRacing is in any way better then LFS.

LFS was my love for years, both thanks to the sim and thanks to the community.

But the community and now also the devs have let me down very much.

I'm even considering arranging my whole team a free rFactor, since I've lost the hope for this game.

My team has very much potentional, and we just got SPAM Energy Drink as permanent sponsor today. We all still love LFS, but the community is letting us all down.

I have some good contacts as ISI, and I might consider arranging free rFactor for my whole team, and going on there, if the devs don't do the right thing.

As far as I know my team mate his account bohne1995 or what ever the name is, is still not unbanned, from getting a ban for nothing. His account got hacked and then he got banned for account sharing, this is just to redicoulous.

I am starting to lose fait in LFS, and may this be a warning to all off you, who are ruinning the fun for -TRR- members.

I tried iRacing and...
(257 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG