The online racing simulator
I tried iRacing and...
(257 posts, started )
Quote from evans :I've had iRacing for years now, rFactor for double as long, some GTR and GTR 2 here and there, racer for the odd fun drive and LFS for 8 years. In the meantime I have also driven various formulae and other racing cars, and it is my conviction that iRacing delivers one of the most realistic simulation drives yet. What it lacks in some parts of the experience, it makes up for in graphics, sense of realism etc.

LFS comes second in many aspects, and I know that many of the things bugging me about LFS' physics simulation are already being worked on by the team.

I can't see why it is so important for some people to create this "we are better than them!" mood with threads like this or the rFactor vs. LFS thread. You don't have to choose either one. I can do iRacing for a couple of hours and when that becomes too serious, I switch to rFactor or GTR and sometimes I do a couple of nostalgic laps in LFS. It's not like having one game bars you from using any of its competitors.

The fact that a team of three developers have created a simulator that is competing with simulators with 10-30 times is remarkable in itself - I don't expect three people to create the most realistic simulation in all of mankind, and so I don't mind that there are options out there that are more realistic. LFS will always be something special, for many reasons.

Couldn't agree more
I Downloaded the game from one torrent site (do not want to pay 12$ just to try it..) and Iracing cant compare to LFS. The tire physics in iracing are like this guy

in playboy mansion. Its just my opinion about the expensive game
Quote from BOSCHO :The tire physics in iracing are like this guy

in playboy mansion. Its just my opinion about the expensive game

So true
Quote from BOSCHO :I Downloaded the game from one torrent site (do not want to pay 12$ just to try it..) and Iracing cant compare to LFS. The tire physics in iracing are like this guy

Well that would be like deciding if you like LFS S2 by trying LFS version S1G

If you think $12 bucks is a lot then definately dont try iRacing, I paid more than that just for a battery lead today, I pay more than that for a botttle of red, more than that for a pack of smokes, much more than that for a tank of fuel I spend about that much each time I buy lunch, $12 bucks is a bargin!

LFS though has been an absolute steel for the amount of fun and use I've had out of it 2004-2009...

Also interesting how many of the physics purists from 2004-2006 timeframe on LFS forums now are in iRacing. Not to say that LFS will not catch back up or even suparse in the next release though, will be interesting to see and test when it finally comes out
Quote from TexasLTU :Wyatt Gooden started his real life career... BECAUSE HE WON A CHAMP IN IRACING. Not much sims can make you a real life racing star.

What about Norbi Kiss
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :What about Norbi Kiss

LFS had bugger all to do with his racing career as far as I can gather.

Wyatt won the iRacing Jetta Cup, which won him a drive in the real thing.
Quote from Bean0 :LFS had bugger all to do with his racing career as far as I can gather.

Wyatt won the iRacing Jetta Cup, which won him a drive in the real thing.

Wyatt also was very good in LFS prior to iRacing (I remember meeting him around 2005 in LFS in his first few days weeks). To be fair though it isn't because iRacing is a better sim that got Wyatt a drive but by the support of iRacing by the US racing community. Something that LFS has had a little success but hasn't put in the same resources and effort to attract more interest from the Euorpe racing community.
-
(SCA-F1) DELETED by SCA-F1
Quote from Raito :And "where is the demo?" question is still in the air....

They tried that with a promo code for a free month trial - and from all that I can gather it was a horrible, horrible disaster...

Think of it this way:

When you don't invest into something, you have nothing to lose by wrecking anyone and everyone on track.
If u want drive a realistic SIM then buy for 19 € NetKar-Pro.
Quote from Glenn67 :Well that would be like deciding if you like LFS S2 by trying LFS version S1G

If you think $12 bucks is a lot then definately dont try iRacing, I paid more than that just for a battery lead today, I pay more than that for a botttle of red, more than that for a pack of smokes, much more than that for a tank of fuel I spend about that much each time I buy lunch, $12 bucks is a bargin!

For you yes, here pack of cigarettes costs around $3 for example, so value of money is different in certain contingents. For me $12 is a bit of too much just to be able to try the game wich you never might open again.

But i've had two free months of iRacing so it is better to keep eyes open for those free offers they launch time to time (for the first time users)
Quote from -NightFly- :For you yes, here pack of cigarettes costs around $3 for example, so value of money is different in certain contingents. For me $12 is a bit of too much just to be able to try the game wich you never might open again.

But i've had two free months of iRacing so it is better to keep eyes open for those free offers they launch time to time (for the first time users)

Yeah I keep forgetting that our government puts huge taxes on such things

I was going to say the same there has been ample opportunites to try iRacing for free. Recently they had a fathers day gift voucher for free trials which you could give to anybody. But tbo I would not recommend iRacing to those that are not willing to spend a lot more than $12 bucks.

You need to be willing to spend upwards of $100 bucks to get good well rounded content from iRacing and for many I understand that just isn't an option, for many other's though it is still a very reasonable price. I can do six laps in a V8Supercar for the same as most content and a two year subscription in iRacing. I still have spent far more on my racing rig than on the racing software (x10) so it is a 'cheap' form of racing for me. If I was to go for one weekend of racing it would cost as much as my whole setup in many circumstances.
Quote from Bean0 :LFS had bugger all to do with his racing career as far as I can gather.

On his official website, it is clearly mentionned that his sim-racing performances, especially in LFS Hungarian leagues, was why he was given a real life test.
Quote from anttt69 :...The torrents are all out of date...

and illegal...

But yes, they are very out of date. There have been numerous fixes when it comes to physics and collision detection. To get the "real" feel of iRacing, $12 for a month of unlimited racing isn't too much to ask - and I'm one broke guy trying to make ends meet. If I can find a way to pay the fee(s) I'm sure most anyone can, lol.
Well after reading all of you guys had to say I now realise that I shouldn't say that iRacing sucks but I still believe that paying an amount only to try the game is something that shouldn't be. If there was a demo it would be a lot better ... but if they don't wanna make one it's their choice.
Quote from mpelletier92 :Well after reading all of you guys had to say I now realise that I shouldn't say that iRacing sucks but I still believe that paying an amount only to try the game is something that shouldn't be. If there was a demo it would be a lot better ... but if they don't wanna make one it's their choice.

While I know where you are coming from (I used to think the same) the structure they have is not entirely ilogical, as it is relatively expensive (compared to other choices) only those that feel the price for testing is reasonable are likely to spend the amounts necessary to get good benifet from the product. So effectively they are reaching their target audience

Anyways thats enough waffaling from me for a while lol Reality is I have loved both sims and will continue to do so into the forseeable future
Quote from mpelletier92 :...but I still believe that paying an amount only to try the game is something that shouldn't be. If there was a demo it would be a lot better ... but if they don't wanna make one it's their choice.

This.

Quote from li7hium :They tried that with a promo code for a free month trial - and from all that I can gather it was a horrible, horrible disaster...

Think of it this way:

When you don't invest into something, you have nothing to lose by wrecking anyone and everyone on track.

They offer demo as promotional codes, just not something like a LFS demo licence.

Main thing you need to remember is that its meant for hardcore racers. Its not just another computer game that you just "play". As mentioned above, if you're not willing to pay its just not for you.

I tried an offer a year back [3 months for 1/2 price, or something], its just not for me. Its too serious and expensive for me. Love the content though... I'd rather to stick to pickup racing in LFS or AI in rF/GTR2 and simply driving around in TDU/Screamer 4x4 etc. nKpro... hmmm...
Everyone can slag of the subscription of iRacing, but in reality this is the future of sim development.
Many of the well known ex.LFS crowd race iRacing these days, if you are serious about racing then its very good, but if you just want some racing fun where you join when you want and can race with your mates LFS is better.

They both feel different but you soon get used to that.

The main thing that i find better in iRacing is there is something new coming out every few weeks, something that most of us wish LFS would do, and if they did a new car and track, and a bit of an update every 3 months there would be no such thing as iRacing.

And most of us would be willing to pay for it in the same way.

Now if its the best sim then nKpro takes some beating but it also need more cars and tracks.
lets wait the new lfs physics update and then we will argue about the future of sim development ok? Why we have lfs demo? (in demo we can play and have fun without giving nothing to the devs and still receiving free updates and support) the demo "emo" is to try the game and if we like it we can buy it. Why iracing do not have a demo? they are afraid that the users do not like it ? In real life racing is for money and fun. In LFS racing is all about fun. Iracing personally for me is not a fun game.. and there is all about money (for the devs). LFS Developers are doing it for fun and little extra that they earn from their project. Iracing is like a real car that needs fuel (every month) to go on with the only difference that you are not going anywhere but just giving money to the devs to fill their real tanks. This is my opinion.
I signed up for iRacing because there was a promotional offer going on...like half price for 3 months and some other cars thrown in.

I didn't renew but only because it was too serious as already stated for me. LFS is a brilliant sim racer but as you stated much more relaxed and outgoing...hence the drift/destruction derby/cruise servers. I can't fault either iRacing or LFS.

The one thing I loved about iRacing was the 'development and career' aspects to it, but it come with the problem of excessive time consumption (at least for me anyway)...the reason I quit playing the mmorpg 'Eve' was because I was wasting too much time on it. This means really LFS suites me, it has the sim aspect with the boot up the computer and play advantage.

One way to look at it is iRacing is for the true enthusiast who wants to progress which iRacing respectively enforces; therefore you must start at the bottom on work your way up. LFS is for the racing enthusiast that simply cannot be arsed with all that and wants to race!
I'm an LFS fanboy, and got past rookie oval license in about 5 nights of iracing.
Love it.
The problem is you can't and shouldn't compare the two. They are just different.
If you judged S2 content on your demo experience today, you may not by S2.
So don't judge the whole of iracing off your first month in the rookie class.

14 bucks a month(8 if you go for the best deal), may seem like a lot, but that is less that 50 cents a day. You can beg, borrow or steal that and noone will notice.

Bottom line: LFS is good at being LFS, iRacing is good at being iRacing.
Only reason, I would try it is for the ovals.

Becase LFS meets my other needs. haVoc, is the oval comparable to NR2003's icy physics or what.
Quote from Bmxtwins :Only reason, I would try it is for the ovals.

Becase LFS meets my other needs. haVoc, is the oval comparable to NR2003's icy physics or what.

Never did 2003.
But I have driven a legend car. And it's dam near dead on.
A legend is pretty much a 4 wheel crotch rocket with a bad case of PMS.
It runs high revs, is light enough that you can push it over on its lid, runs what basically amounts to a hard compound street tire, and spins like a Florida Republican.
The Spec Racer Ford can be compared to the RAC handling wise, so imagine testing LFS for the first time being given that monstrosity.

People are spoiled by what LFS does give them. For example, logitek said he doesn't like that he can't press a button to see his tire temps. Well, I have yet to drive any car that let's me do that.
If you pay attention, you feel how hot your tires are, you can manage your grip with patience. I think its a blast to let someone by so they can burn em up, then run em down late in a race cuz I saved my stuff. THAT is sim racing.
Knowing if yer gonna pass someone on the bottom of turn 4 at Thompson is prolly not gonnawork makes you think before you act, which LFS doesn't really teach you.

I tried iRacing and...
(257 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG