The online racing simulator
I tried iRacing and...
(257 posts, started )
Sorry for the inconvience then.
Quote from z-ro 8 :Excessive positive caster will do relatively the same.
Something you can't accurately feel in LFS.....

Caster wouldn't cause the wheel to snap back as quick as this.

Actually, it seems to vary from session to session. Sometimes it is a strong force, sometimes weak, sometimes not there at all (like just tonight practicing the Star Mazda).

Quote from The Very End :Could someone please take some time to write a list of good / bad things about the SIMs, and then compare it? I have heared a lot about Iracing but have only briefly tested it. I would be much thankfull if someone tok the time writing the goods and bads about the two above in one post.

Thanks in advantage.

I've been running the Skip Barber car in iRacing, as well as a few other cars, and on the 21st I'm going to Laguna Seca to do a 3-day course in the real one. I'm going to do a writeup on my blog, maybe with comparisons. I'll PM you and let you know when it's up. It's the least I can do in return for the gift of LFS!

Quote from atledreier :Sounds very much like you are clipping your FF output. What is your FF settings ingame and in the drivers?

But Live for Speed gives me all the info I need, while also having stronger forces. I have a Fanatec 911 Turbo S and the drivers are set to 100% (max), and ingame varies. In LFS I have it set to 50, default, and in iRacing I have it at anywhere between 9 for the Radical, and 17 for the Solstice. Most are between 10-12. In LFS I can feel the exact slip angle of the tires and the relative position of the rear end. In iRacing I can seemingly only feel the rear end. It's like all the subtlety of the rubber is gone.

Nevertheless, I will trying tweaking it some. Thanks.

By the way, the diagram didn't show up for me.
Perhaps LFS scale the forces differently? Some sort of dynamic compression could be applied. besides, LFS has much less subtlety anyway, so you won't notice as easily.

I fixed the attachment, btw.

And I think most people usually end up with FF settings of 8-15 in iRacing. I have mine at 12, adn get a little clipping with a G25, but it brings out the bumps better, so it's a compromise.
Quote from atledreier :Perhaps LFS scale the forces differently? Some sort of dynamic compression could be applied. besides, LFS has much less subtlety anyway, so you won't notice as easily.

I fixed the attachment, btw.

And I think most people usually end up with FF settings of 8-15 in iRacing. I have mine at 12, adn get a little clipping with a G25, but it brings out the bumps better, so it's a compromise.

So I should use as low of an in-sim setting as possible? Or a combination of somewhat low driver settings and medium sim settings?
Quote from MadCat360 :So I should use as low of an in-sim setting as possible? Or a combination of somewhat low driver settings and medium sim settings?

Low in-sim and high driver settings will give the most accurate replication of the forces as calculated by the sim.

If you're interested in why might I suggest that you give these posts a read?

Force Feedback Part 1 - The Cold Hard Facts
http://members.iracing.com/ifo ... ead.jspa?messageID=727195

Force Feedback Part 2 - Logitech Muddy The Waters
http://members.iracing.com/ifo ... ead.jspa?messageID=727485
Quote from jasonmatthews :The fact that Scawen/Victor lets you talk about iRacing should tell you something. The fact that you are posting in the LFS forum should tell you something. P

Is that something special? There are also LFS in iRacing forum...also nKar Pro and so on..
Quote from Bean0 :LFS had bugger all to do with his racing career as far as I can gather.

Wyatt won the iRacing Jetta Cup, which won him a drive in the real thing.

Not to mention he's been doing karting for 10 years and 2 years of Skip Barber before that...
Quote from The Very End :Could someone please take some time to write a list of good / bad things about the SIMs, and then compare it?

Look around, read diffrent forums & visit the iRacing website plenty of information all around you. You tube vids in there thousands.

Quote from Töki (HUN) :That promotion is no longer available. I've tried a few months ago and it didn't work.

Try: This Promotion

The trick with iR is not to get sucked in. The hype is bigger than the reality. But the reality is higher quality than LFS (in a lot of areas).
The only way to find out is to try it. Those who complain about $5 trials, iRacing is quite simply not for you. Its a subscription base game so you will always be paying for it.
Quote from jasonmatthews :Wrong, wrong wrong...

I bought a year because it was so much cheaper than paying per month. Like 50%. I stopped playing after 4 months because I had no way of racing my teammates and friends. It was BORING!... VERY

Now, they have finally listened and are trying to make it easier for a community/team to work, but it still is a cold, money making sim... IMHO

If you think my honest opinion is trolling, then maybe you should take a good look at yourself. I have tried my upmost to try to make iracing and a team/community work, but it simply doesn't atm. This is what makes LFS special IMO. The fact that we can access live data (for free), build websites around it, join friends etc, makes LFS a community SIM. iRacing is simply not that.

To say to LFS'ers, who dare to make statements of opinion on iRacing, in an LFS forum, as trollers, is bullshit Glenn, and you know it..

If you really think that the opinion of someone who plays LFS every day, runs a very active team, organises meets for the community as a troll, then piss off to iracing and don't come back.

The fact that Scawen/Victor lets you talk about iRacing should tell you something. The fact that you are posting in the LFS forum should tell you something. The fact that when you simply don't have the time to commit to iracing 24/7, you WILL feel as ripped off as I did, should tell you something.

^^^ excuse my rant, but I am no freaking troll :P

Calm down mate... They are not ripoff bastards. More fool you for getting the year and everything without realising you can't drive with mates!

As many have said here, both are great to play and drive in..... for different reasons!
Quote from jasonmatthews :Wrong again...

I paid £90 for my subscription. I paid £210 for content. I am not ALLOWED to play my content without keeping my subscription going. World of Warcraft does not rip you off in the same way, not at all. You don't pay £210 for weapons in WOW so you can enjoy the game. You pay your subs, that is it... iRacing is taking you for suckers....

you tell people not to call you a troll then start calling all iracers suckers... double standards mate? get a grip FFS! All the information was there for you to read BEFORE you parted with the cash. The sucker is you !

I put you in very high regard but these comments seem way out of character for you...... Just because you're pissed off at yourself for spanking the cash, you seem to be taking out of those at iracing that are happy, by calling them suckers - very unfair!
#87 - AMB
Well at least in iRacing I don't get banned by some foreign faggots who think it's funny to vote ban me before I leave the pits and call me a 'CRASHER' turkish ****s.

Oh and excuse my language, I'm just angry at how some people are.
I'd do the same if you came into my hosted session
#89 - AMB
Quote from boothy :I'd do the same if you came into my hosted session

Why I race fair!!

and besides this was a crash server..... and I never even got out the pits before I got called a 'CRASHER' then he said 'BANN' then he was like 'PRESS 1' typical.

Oh it's the same with games that allow normal people to ban, I got kicked from a CoD game today because my score was too good, apparently they all sucked because my kills added up to more than all of my teams together.
LFS could certainly learn one thing from iRacing. Give the users small changes but often, rather than all this bull about its coming but no date. With iRacing its a free update every 3 months, with new pay stuff in between and there seems to be no one moaning about how slow developement is or asking when X will come.

However iRacing could certainly learn a lot from LFS in how simple it is to race multicar with who you want.

One of the biggest things in motor racing is trying to beat your team mates and this is 100% missing in iRacing.

They are both great sims but for different markets
Quote from birder :However iRacing could certainly learn a lot from LFS in how simple it is to race multicar with who you want.

One of the biggest things in motor racing is trying to beat your team mates and this is 100% missing in iRacing.

Surely that's what hosted sessions are for?

It's so simple to have an evenings racing with your mates driving what you want, where you want.

Am I missing something?

Quote from jasonmatthews :I tried iracing for a year. It cost me £300. I played it for 4 months. The rest of the time I was absolutley robbed, rip off bastards.....

How were you robbed? I must me missing something here as well.

No one forced you to spend £300. You must have been nuts to spend all that before you even knew if it was the sim for you and whether you'd be in for the long run or not.

My advice to anyone wishing to try it out is go with a 3 month sub initially. If after a few weeks you think it's your cup of tea then purchase the Mustang or Skippy depending on what sort of cars you like and get a couple of tracks for those series (remember, there's no need to buy all the tracks, you only have to do 8 weeks out of the 12 for a season) Don't rush to get up the licence levels. Pick a car and learn it well, get to know the system and just stick with that for your first 3 months.

After that you'll be in a much better position to know if it's the sim for you or not and whether the cost is worth it.

No one is holding a gun to your head forcing you to spend a load of cash. Apart from Sub fees iRacing can be as cheap or expensive as you chose it to be.
Quote from richard dk :Is that something special? There are also LFS in iRacing forum...also nKar Pro and so on..

But we wouldn't know that since iRacing makes sure to keep everyone who didn't pay out of their forum for some strange reason. I guess they either have to hide something or are just elitist.
Or don't wanna waste bandwidth on people who don't pay them shit.
Quote from zeugnimod :But we wouldn't know that since iRacing makes sure to keep everyone who didn't pay out of their forum for some strange reason. I guess they either have to hide something or are just elitist.

What would you do there? You don`t like iRacing. We are paying for it, and i`m happy that there is a forum without too much trolling..let other forum`s do that..

Elitist? Ohh my god...I thought you was much clever than that..my mistake..
Quote from richard dk :What would you do there? You don`t like iRacing. We are paying for it, and i`m happy that there is a forum without too much trolling..let other forum`s do that..

Elitist? Ohh my god...I thought you was much clever than that..my mistake..

i think Z is right, your post is full of it.
Quote from richard dk : and i`m happy that there is a forum without too much trolling..

Come off it... that place is full of more trolling, moaning and complete nonsense than the LFS forums!

I love iRacing, but the forums are an unmoderated hellhole.
The England Club forum on the other hand is one of the most sensible internet forums I've ever seen.
The off topic Iracing thread is great , head south and post there.
Quote from count.bazley :The England Club forum on the other hand is one of the most sensible internet forums I've ever seen.

True that
Well i be the last to say iracing is cheap. It isnt as cheap as LFS is. I mean you buy the LFS content down it and done you are. No monthly subscription or the need of new tracks or cars.

But iracing does give the best racing experience I have seen so far. Played many sims including rfactor, nkpro and LFS off course but none of the mentioned give me that much feeling its real.

I do it like Moose explaned here above. Just bought the Skippy and mustang along with 2 tracks and off we go again. Need to some more practise but its fun. I have a 3 months subscription to see what iracing is like. Its fun, like it a lot but I wont compare it with LFS.

Isnt fair to compare 2 different sims with both different goals set as a target. Why compare them ? Both have their flaws and their best bits. I loved LFS but since not updating the content a bit boring. Still a good sim to do.

I tried iRacing and...
(257 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG