The online racing simulator
iPhone 4
(480 posts, started )
Quote from gtpsharky :Fixed it for you

Yeah, I have lots of pockets to carry around a device that's almost as big as an iPhone AND another phone. Right.

Then, on topic, they aren't idiots. If you hold ANY iPhone (or, better, ANY phone) like that, it loses signal. My mother's 2G does it, my 3Gs does it. And they haven't dropped a phonecall, once.

So, all this stuff is just bollocks. If you hold it from the bottom, it is uncomfortable and it loses signal. If you hold it a little bit higher, it's natural and comfortable and it doesn't lose signal.
Your choice.
I find it funny how Dawesdust recognises major problems almost as cool features

"do you see any other phone doing this? Iphone 4 is unique, STFU"
just looked at the price...... over 1000 € well i dont think i will buy it now
I just ordered an HTC Desire, although i had been planning to get an iphone 4 as soon it was released

Main argument is the price (470 EUR vs 630 EUR here)
and android ofcourse,

But the problems with the iphones antenna eventually convinced me.
There are lots of areas around here with low reception

And im not an Apple-hater own a macbook pro and an ancient ipod lol
Quote from Timo1992 :over 1000 €

No, it isn't.
In France it's 629€ for the 16GB and 739 for the 32GB. In Germany I strongly think it will be the same.

@Fastwalker: iSpazio, the best Italian blog on the iPhone, has tried and tried and tried, and came to a conclusion. It was a false alarm. Every mobile phone has this problem. Even my old Nokia N70 does this (only, by holding it in the upper section, where it has the antenna).
Quote from freddyalek90 :@Fastwalker: iSpazio, the best Italian blog on the iPhone, has tried and tried and tried, and came to a conclusion. It was a false alarm. Every mobile phone has this problem. Even my old Nokia N70 does this (only, by holding it in the upper section, where it has the antenna).

Still... with the external antenna and the awkward position its in, the problem is worse than on other phones. Steve Jobs said it was a revolutionary design that would improve the reception compared to normal antennas, which makes it an even bigger fail.

And i expected the iphone 4 to be around the price of the 3GS (as is usually the case with Apple updating their models), but €630 (16GB) and €740 (32GB) is just too much for a phone.
Wow that phone was extensively tested?

I like iPhones, they are very easy to use and that's saying something because touchscreens never usually agree with me. I probably would get one if I wanted to spend £40 (or there abouts) a month but in realistic terms I pay £10 for unlimited texts, 300 mins a month for none o2 calls which is easily enough...it's all I really need.

Just out of interest to those with any iPhone, how much does it work out a year?

With adequate enough minutes from my last bill on my current provider o2, including the one off payment for the 16GB 3GS, it would be £689 for the year, and then is there an insurance charge too? I know essentially you're not just paying for the phone, you're paying for a mobile company service too...but I don't understand why and how so many people accept paying so much just for the latest gadget.

Most of my colleagues have an iPhone but it's basically...for what they use it for...a glorified walking Facebook and texting device.
Quote from gtpsharky :Fixed it for you

Quite right, ipod touch does its job very well, and then some, and so does my ancient mobile phone, the iphone is a combination of the two that isn't quite as good as either.
Quote from freddyalek90 :Yeah, I have lots of pockets to carry around a device that's almost as big as an iPhone AND another phone. Right.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it... iPod touch does its job as a portable media player brilliantly, a mobile phone does phoney stuff with aplomb; why the need to combine the two (see 5haz's post just above ^)?
Quote from freddyalek90 :Then, on topic, they aren't idiots. If you hold ANY iPhone (or, better, ANY phone) like that, it loses signal. My mother's 2G does it, my 3Gs does it. And they haven't dropped a phonecall, once.

So, all this stuff is just bollocks. If you hold it from the bottom, it is uncomfortable and it loses signal. If you hold it a little bit higher, it's natural and comfortable and it doesn't lose signal.
Your choice.

I have always held my Nokia N95 exactly like that however my signal is always 100% (full bars). Not only holding the phone like this for me is comfortable but also almost everyone who was shown holding the iphone 4 on Apple's facetime ad held it like that. Furthermore, I'm posting this message from the phone and holding it that way for writing with my left hand.

What's interesting is that even though I am right-handed I use the phone a lot using my left hand, mainly because I'm already doing something with the right hand when pick the phone. And when doing so I always hold it in Apple's wrong way of holding the phone and my signal always stays full bars.
Just use one of these in case you touch that part of the antenna

Quote from Velociround :I have always held my Nokia N95 exactly like that however my signal is always 100% (full bars).

The N95 has its antenna on top of the camera part, so you would have to hold it OVER the camera. If you do that with my old N70, from 7 bars it goes right to 2.
On the other hand, the antenna on the iPhone is in the lower part of the device. With my 3Gs, though, I have to hold it with my left hand and very tight. Like that, it goes from 5 bars to 1, but it still can send and receive texts and calls.

Quote from Velociround :Not only holding the phone like this for me is comfortable but also almost everyone who was shown holding the iphone 4 on Apple's facetime ad held it like that. Furthermore, I'm posting this message from the phone and holding it that way for writing with my left hand.

Yes and no. They don't hold it THAT far down, and holding it a lil' bit upper, it doesn't lose bars.
I had an original iPhone for a year and a half, and then an iPhone 3Gs for almost a year. I found out actually today that holding it like that has influence on its signal. So, in more than two years, I haven't lost signal because of how I was holding the phone.

The problem may be stronger on iPhone 4s, but I hardly believe that it will lose all bars just holding it, even in the States where (matter of fact) you have far less signal strength.
Quote from freddyalek90 :I hardly believe that it will lose all bars just holding it, even in the States where (matter of fact) you have far less signal strength.

yes it does its been demonstrated to do so by many people and in fact it has to as youre physically shorting the antenna opposed to merely capping it with your hands on other phones

but go ahead buy and be happy with you non functional 1000€ phone
Quote from Shotglass :yes it does its been demonstrated to do so by many people and in fact it has to as youre physically shorting the antenna opposed to merely capping it with your hands on other phones

but go ahead buy and be happy with you non functional 1000€ phone

iSpazio's Test
Sorry, it's in Italian, but it shows that it doesn't really short. I know, it's the wrong hand, but if it does it with the left one, it will do it also with the right one.
Even if you physically short the antennas with a key, as in this video (again, sorry for the Italian) it drop 3/4 bars, but it stays connected. And it's with Wind, one of the worst carriers we have in Italy. With Vodafone or TIM it would have been for sure better.

I won't buy it, just to make things clear. I'm perfectly well with my "old" 3Gs and iOS 4.
Just, don't believe Apple haters always like they are God. As I proved in one of my earlier posts, they found every time some faults, and usually are proven wrong.

Display with yellow patches? It will be perfect in a week.
Antennas shorting? Just don't hold it from the bottom. If you hold it naturally, you won't touch both antennas, or at least not too much.

I'm totally with dawesdust here. Haters gonna hate.
And if you are wondering, I'm not a fanboy. I just fell in love with a phone which is easy to use (more than any other phone at least), gorgeous to look at (you can't say that of all the new iPhone-killers, can you? But that's just my opinion...) and with the best touchscreen from the lot.

And again, BTW, for me 750€ is less than 1000€.
Holy crap that's a lot of money! Sure my shanky nokia is old, but at 50 euro it's been my mp3 player and phone for years, and it texts too..
Quote from Niels Heusinkveld :Holy crap that's a lot of money! Sure my shanky nokia is old, but at 50 euro it's been my mp3 player and phone for years, and it texts too..

No arguing with that, but surely it hasn't 32GB of memory to put every mp3 in my PC, lots of pics and lots of apps... Without mentioning the 200+ books I have now on it thanks to iBooks. And it still has 8GB to go. And I don't have to use propietary earplugs like I used to do with my old Nokia. And I don't have to live with Symbian. And in 2 and 1/2 years I had 3 major firmware upgrades, and 9 others (minor) upgrades. 12 upgrades in a year and a half. That's what I call support.

I loved my N70, I had 15-20 mp3s and some applications and some pics on my 1GB memory. But it cost 180€ + 20€ of MMC. After two months it was obsolete, and the functions it had when it was brand new are the same it has now. For the equivalent of 280€ I brought home my old iPhone 2G. It now has two years and a half, but it goes like it was new, it's obsolete but it has been updated until a month ago, and has lots of apps, mp3s and pics. Just not as many as in my new 3Gs (8GB<32GB). (Captain Obvious here).

Just to say, there are lots of phones that do what the iPhone does. In this sense they're equal. But, for me, the iPhone is more equal than the others xD
Quote from freddyalek90 :Even if you physically short the antennas with a key, as in this video (again, sorry for the Italian) it drop 3/4 bars, but it stays connected. And it's with Wind, one of the worst carriers we have in Italy. With Vodafone or TIM it would have been for sure better.

simply balancing a key on it doesnt give you an electrical contact that is much better than holding it in a rather dry hand

also it been shown to drop reception:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... p;feature=player_embedded

and heres one made by a mac blog so if anything they have a pro apple bias:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... p;feature=player_embedded

Quote :Display with yellow patches? It will be perfect in a week.

are you seriously going to tell me that people have to accept an apparent complete lack of quality control in a 1000€ product?

Quote :If you hold it naturally, you won't touch both antennas, or at least not too much.

who are you or jobs to tell people what they should consider a natural way to hold a phone?

Quote :And again, BTW, for me 750€ is less than 1000€.

it is 1000€ if you want one with a normal amount of storage in this day and age
http://geizhals.at/deutschland/a538204.html

and thats all without the possiblity that if im right about the design behind the iphones antenna (folded f) the main beam direction is entirely misaligned with what mobile antennas have been designed to do for the last 10 years or
any other phone the main beam is drected away from your head on the iphone it looks like its aligned parallel to your head so about 1/4 to half of the radiated power ends up right in your head as opposed to near as makes no difference none on any other remotely modern phone
Quote from Shotglass :it is 1000€ if you want one with a normal amount of storage in this day and age
http://geizhals.at/deutschland/a538204.html

iPhone 4 32GB Black

In America: 299$ + contract (241€ + contract)
In France: 739€
In the UK: 599£ (727€)

If in Germany it's 1199€, you're unlucky, that's it.
Quote from freddyalek90 :iPhone 4 32GB Black

In France: 739€

If in Germany it's 1199€, you're unlucky, that's it.

Jesus christ.. ok, in US it's kinda acceptable, but in EU... W T F ...
But that contract is something like 50$ per month.
Quote from freddyalek90 :No arguing with that, but surely it hasn't 32GB of memory to put every mp3 in my PC

wait people still carry large mp3 collections with them these days?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOvldo3ZsnA

Quote from freddyalek90 :iPhone 4 32GB Black

with contract and simlock... completely different animal

Quote :In France: 739€

no idea where you found those prices but in england a simlock free contractless iphone 32gb seems to be more in the 700-800£ range
http://www.google.co.uk/produc ... UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wf
which istn too far off from the german prices if you consider that none of these have the phones in stock yet and so theyre preorder prices which at that price id expect to be about 1-200€ higher than where it will settle at in a bit

and lets not even talk production costs here
the ipad costs about 200$ to make and most of that money goes into buying the much much larger screen than on the iphone
Then why people wont get the components and put it together by their own?

Because they're too lazy.
Quote from Shotglass :and thats all without the possiblity that if im right about the design behind the iphones antenna (folded f) the main beam direction is entirely misaligned with what mobile antennas have been designed to do for the last 10 years or
any other phone the main beam is drected away from your head on the iphone it looks like its aligned parallel to your head so about 1/4 to half of the radiated power ends up right in your head as opposed to near as makes no difference none on any other remotely modern phone

Rather than the odd reply, can you please write a short summary of the "advantages" the exterior antenna should bring vs what the design would actually do?

Would be interesting to here from someone who A - Knows what they are on about and B - Doesn't love Apple.

iPhone 4
(480 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG