The online racing simulator
iPhone 4
(480 posts, started )
You can clip the SIM cards.
Quote from brt900 :it runs on a micro-sim

thats just stupid because O2 wont give me a micro sim for my contract to use with it if i buy the phone myself
You can clip SIM cards easily. Go google it. The contacts are identical.

I really liked the iPhone 4 (the first iPhone I actually like. I've hated all others because of their simple lack of any functionality at all, specially the 2G and 3G, and the not-any-innovative-at-all 3GS), but I think the Nokia N8 is a whole lot more promising. Actually I don't know why no one has already opened a thread for it here. Guess I'm going to have to make one myself.
That chart is dumb.. How is "micro SIM" a loss for the iPhone 4.. a micro SIM is simply a normal SIM, just trimmed differently.

Along with AMOLED being a "green" compared to an IPS display, which as I've heard a million times, is the holy grail for displays.

They're really trying to downplay how awesome the iPhone 4 really is.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :That chart is dumb.. How is "micro SIM" a loss for the iPhone 4.. a micro SIM is simply a normal SIM, just trimmed differently.

Along with AMOLED being a "green" compared to an IPS display, which as I've heard a million times, is the holy grail for displays.

They're really trying to downplay how awesome the iPhone 4 really is.

Actually, Steve Jobs (yes, the guy who invented the video call in 2010... wifi-only and iphone 4 to iphone 4 ONLY LOL) is over-exaggerating all of iPhone's features. "The video call, a feature people have all dreamed for, has now become a realitiy!"

You gotta be joking, right? Some parts of his keynotes were downright ridiculous as he talked about the iPhone as if it were the icing on the cake, the best thing ever made in the entire universe by the best company in the world. I got tired of hearing Steve Jobs saying the words "perfect, awesome, incredible, mind blowing, etc" countless times through the 1-hour-and-50-minutes keynote presentation. I believe he used all of the best adjectives existent in the dictionary to describe the iPhone 4, he even had to repeat "perfect" a lot of times since there were no more adjectives.

As I mentioned before, the iPhone 4 is the first iPhone I really, really liked, and I even want to purchase it, but I will wait until the Nokia N8 is released before getting the iPhone 4. In my opinion the N8 is just so much better in almost all aspects, also having a whole lot more features and usability. Besides, with a multitouch capacitive screen of the same size as iPhone's, it already has plenty of games too, and they run just as good as on the newer released iPhones. Also, all games from other platforms such as older symbians and Maemo etc can be ported to Symbian^3 with QT development tools and made available for playing without any hassle. In fact, plenty of applications I use and many games have already been made available on the Nokia N8.

The micro SIM is only regarded as a downside right now because, let's say, no one has it available! I can't name any phone operator in Brazil and even the USA that distributes micro SIM. So you have to CUT yours, and that's definitely not the best option, therefore is not considered as such.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Along with AMOLED being a "green" compared to an IPS display, which as I've heard a million times, is the holy grail for displays.

simple case of not knowing what youre talking about
ips is the best lcd technology but as with all lc displays its basic concept is shite
oled on the other hand is a near flawless principle (except for ageing) although most (possibly all) oleds used in phones these days have a weird grrgbb matrix which has a number of downsides
still oled clearly is the future and whipes the floor with lcd on general principle
Quote from Velociround :
The micro SIM is only regarded as a downside right now because, let's say, no one has it available! I can't name any phone operator in Brazil and even the USA that distributes micro SIM. So you have to CUT yours, and that's definitely not the best option, therefore is not considered as such.

To be fair, to get your standard SIM card, you're really just "cutting" out your SIM from that credit-card sized card that it comes encased in. It's just one more notch down.

Then, you can keep the bits you cut out (if you clipped it well), and then a piece of clear tape, and have a micro SIM and a normal SIM card.

Video Calling.. it never caught on around here... I recall about.. 4 years ago, a bit of a video calling push, but it never substantiated into anything (due to insane cost, and the phones were ugly). The fact iPhone will have it, maybe not on 3G yet, but the fact it is an iPhone, means more people will have support, and thus it will pick up and possibly gain use.

It's another of Apple not being first, but doing it better.

I find it funny shot, you always go "IPS IPS" for the entireity I've known you on the forum, then Apple goes and puts an IPS in the iPad and in the new iPhone, and magically something else is better. Anti-Apple troll is obvious.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I find it funny shot, you always go "IPS IPS" for the entireity I've known you on the forum, then Apple goes and puts an IPS in the iPad and in the new iPhone, and magically something else is better. Anti-Apple troll is obvious.

no its just a matter of you being out of the technology loop

yes ive always said that ips is the best of the currently widely available display technologys and if i were to buy a pc monitor at this time ips would be my only choice
and yes the screen on the ipad is very nice (albeit entirely useless as an ebook reader) and you wont find me saying anything opposite anywhere else
if there were any laptop out there with an ips panel (or at least a va) you bet your ass id be first in line to buy it possibly even if it had an apple logo on it (ibm used to build a line of those years ago but theyre too old tech now)

that being as it is oled is and has been the future for quite a while now and is currently only held back by issues with manufacturing large panels (and amortisation of existing lcd manufacturing lines)
for my desktop pc while my crt is still working as well as it is ill keep hoping that oled hits the monitor market before i have to replace it
so now that theyve finally managed to build small oled displays they are easily the best choice of available smartphone screen techs (with the previously mentioned early adopter problems having to be taken into account)
Ok: I really like this phone. I would propably buy it. But what the hell will be the price if 3GS is already 700€?
Quote from Nadeo4441 :Ok: I really like this phone. I would propably buy it. But what the hell will be the price if 3GS is already 700€?

I would probably buy it too. I'm still deciding between this and the HTC EVO 4G.
Either way, I'll pay a few extra hundred euros for the unlocked version in the beginning, rather than being bullied by my operator with ridiculous prices and bad service for the next 2 years. Plus, I already signed a new 2 year deal for the next 2 years in March.

Besides, the iPhone deals here are pretty lame. A friend of mine bought the iPhone 3G (or 3GS) at T-Mobile SK and pays 80 euros a month for 1GB of data. I on the other hand have a 1.5GB plan for around 8-10 euros, can't remember. He has a little more minutes than me but I've got mine for 50% off for the whole 2 years. **** the iPhone 2-year contracts here. I'm going the unlocked way.
... If you read, it's simply a display issue. Reception isn't actually being lost. The actual antenna isn't losing reception, the software is just having complications reading the signal value (due to you shorting the antennas).

Good try though
Quote from dawesdust_12 :... If you read, it's simply a display issue. Reception isn't actually being lost. The actual antenna isn't losing reception, the software is just having complications reading the signal value (due to you shorting the antennas).

Good try though

are you sure? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03PQyWp0mWE
and yes, i own a 3Gs, but this is hilarous
Not what I'd call hilarious - Monty Python is hilarious. Blackadder is hilarious. This is just a bit comic.

Anyway, not all phones seem to be affected, and we all know that the internet attracts negative reviews of anything from the public - those happy with the product don't tend to go and write about it on forums as those that are unhappy. So the fact it seems widespread is almost certainly not the case.

And I hope it's a software issue rather than a genuine issue. Maybe the 3,1 firmware can be upgraded quickly? Maybe even via the new (?) carrier setting mini-update system?

I gave up on the queue this morning as O2 was having server problems. It would have been hours before everyone was seen, and they only had 16GB ones left - I had a ticket so I would have got one when I got to the front - but I want a 32GB one. Music, photos and HD video take up a lot of space!!!

Oh, and I finally bothered to jailbreak my ios4 3G yesterday to enable wallpapers and battery percentage. Didn't bother with multitasking though as battery life and performance on ios4 isn't exactly improved since OS3. Cydia is a horrible system, and far far less user friendly than the app store. I don't think I'll bother jailbreaking the new phone unless it offers something actually useful...
Quote from dawesdust_12 :... If you read, it's simply a display issue.

if you knew anything about cellphone youd know that the bars displayed are either the received power or the snr both of whihc is not a display issue

Quote :Reception isn't actually being lost.

yes it is

Quote :The actual antenna isn't losing reception, the software is just having complications reading the signal value (due to you shorting the antennas).

clearly you know nothing about antennas

Quote from tristancliffe :And I hope it's a software issue rather than a genuine issue.

it is a genuine issue
one of the simplest tests i and my colleagues use all the time is to put a hand on top of the radiating element while looking at the antennas s paramaters... if the curve changes a lot you know the antenna is at least radiating since all the poer is either absorbed by your hand or reflected back into the antenna
once you get to the point where you have direct galvanic contact between your hand and the antennas conducting parts near as makes no difference all the energy ends up in your hand
Quote from Shotglass :if you knew anything about cellphone youd know that the bars displayed are either the received power or the snr both of whihc is not a display issue

yes it is

clearly you know nothing about antennas

it is a genuine issue
one of the simplest tests i and my colleagues use all the time is to put a hand on top of the radiating element while looking at the antennas s paramaters... if the curve changes a lot you know the antenna is at least radiating since all the poer is either absorbed by your hand or reflected back into the antenna
once you get to the point where you have direct galvanic contact between your hand and the antennas conducting parts near as makes no difference all the energy ends up in your hand

Except Shot was basically saying "Yeah, AMOLED IS SO SO SO MUCH BETTER THAN IPS, FOR ALL PURPOSES BLAH BLAH BLAH".. then the iPhones IPS matches it, if not beats it simply because of pixel density makes it look really crisp.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Except Shot was basically saying "Yeah, AMOLED IS SO SO SO MUCH BETTER THAN IPS, FOR ALL PURPOSES BLAH BLAH BLAH".. then the iPhones IPS matches it, if not beats it simply because of pixel density makes it look really crisp.

If you'd actually taken the time to understand Shotglass's post, which was very clear, he said that OLED is in principle a much better/more advanced technology than LCD, and he's right. However, it's a lot newer than LCD and has had less time to be refined. I doubt the LCD will be taken too much further development-wise than the iPhone 4 screen, while OLED-based screens have a lot of developing left to do.
But I can't troll if I read.
Oh, right.
Anyway, the phone looks sweet and if AT&T got off their asses and provided 3G in my town I might consider it (every other provider offers it).

As it is, I'll probably be getting whatever badass Android phone is available from Verizon when my new-every-two is up in February.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :

oh my god hes making a valid knowledgeable point i know what im gonna do... im gonna show my stupidity and ignorance with a simple gif

Quote from dawesdust_12 :Except Shot was basically saying "Yeah, AMOLED IS SO SO SO MUCH BETTER THAN IPS, FOR ALL PURPOSES BLAH BLAH BLAH".. then the iPhones IPS matches it, if not beats it simply because of pixel density makes it look really crisp.

ah yes im sure my usual usage scenario of placing the phone under a microscope will really bring out the advantages of the iphones display

also crisp in terms of displays is a word usually used for describing colour saturation and contrast both of which are areas where an lcd doesnt stand the faintest chance against oleds (not that i like the idiotic push towards adobe rgb gamut in the desktop monitor space but thats a completely different topic)

Quote from DeadWolfBones :However, it's a lot newer than LCD and has had less time to be refined. I doubt the LCD will be taken too much further development-wise than the iPhone 4 screen, while OLED-based screens have a lot of developing left to do.

indeed
after some 10-15 years of selling lcds as monitors weve finally gotten to the point where ips panels are affordable for a mainstream audience and as the last hurrah before oled takes over the market lcds will still have a few advantages left in the short run
same with crts where the last generation of them still bests lcds in just about any catergory even now that theyre mostly burnt out

im fairly certain that ive also meantioned that the pen tile matrix used in current oled smarphone screens is far from ideal

iPhone 4
(480 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG