The online racing simulator
iPhone 4
(480 posts, started )
Disclaimer: I'll write a big post comparing the N95 to the iPhone. Please, take in mind I do like the iPhone, I love the awesomely responsive multitouch and iPhone's games. I do like the N95 a lot as well and I have a N95 because I tried the iPhone and it doesn't do what I want. I don't like the N97 because it lacks some things the N95 had that made it popular in 2007 in the first place. The N97 is not really good, though. The iPhone is much better than the N97 in my opinion.
[flamesuit]Don't take what I say in a bad way, it's not my intention to be offensive (who knows how people will read my post ) and I'm writing this in a happy tone.[/flamesuit]

If you don't want to read all of this, go to the bottom. I have included a small list of features the iPhone doesn't have, and the N95 does.

Quote from freddyalek90 :(Yes, the N95 was released in March 2007, and the iPhone in June, but then -August- Nokia released the N95 8GB).

I'm talking about the first N95 models (and the N95-3, which is what I have, and supports up to 16GB microSD card. I have a 8GB microSD card). The N95 8GB is also a great phone, with a even bigger screen but doesn't support microSD cards (thus, limited to 8GB). The N95 8GB does exactly the same things as the N95-3, has the same camera design and flash position, exactly same hardware specs and the same RAM. The N95-3 and N95 8GB have 128MB RAM, whereas the N95-1 has 64MB RAM. The first iPhone (and all the other ones, apart from 3Gs) also have 128MB RAM. 3Gs has 256MB RAM.

Just to add, whenever I say something about the N95, I'm talking about the N95-3 and N95 8GB (models with 128MB RAM), because I've never used the 64MB RAM models. Apart from RAM, all the hardware is the same and all apps are compatible between them, so there's no difference.

Quote from freddyalek90 :Firstly, the phones aren't quite comparable, and that picture is quite old... it shows a 1st gen iPhone running iPhone OS 1.0, and it doesn't say what the N95 doesn't have... like for instance the 3.5", 320x480, capacitive multitouch screen, covered with GLASS, or the intuitive user interface, or the gesture-based scrolling and zooming...

Which is not the point of the N95. It wasn't supposed to be a touchscreen phone, and it does not try to be a touchscreen phone, so you can't really compare this. If it were, you could say "hey iPhone's multitouch is better" or something, but it's not. Thus, for not being a touchscreen phone, you can't have gesture-based scrolling or whatever other feature that requires a touch sensitive screen. But you can use the volume controls (or other key of your choice) for that...

Screen: you already mentioned iPhone's, so let's go to N95's: 2,6" (or 2,8" if you consider the 8GB), 320x240.

TV output: Even though the N95's screen res is 320x240, its TV output is 640x480, and also outputs widescreen. You can play up to 640x360p videos, movies or anything else on your 16:9 TV, or 640x480p on your 4:3 TV. But that doesn't mean it doesn't playback videos at higher resolutions; By using other media players (such as CorePlayer, DivX player or UCPlayer) I could open and fully watch 780x480 .avi, .wmv and .divx videos without lag and without converting them for use on the phone; I have directly downloaded them from the internet to the phone and playback on the phone. I haven't tried higher resolutions though, and the default media player won't play higher than 640x480 videos from the tests I made, but does playback very well high bitrates (such as 12mbps and higher).

Quote :When the iPhone first released, one of the gripes was the lack of video output. With the firmware update 1.1.1, Apple seems to have included video output, albeit with their proprietary cables.

[...]iPhone is hooked up, via component cables to a TV directly from the iPhone itself; connecting via the dock does not work. The dock mishap is being fixed by Apple and will eventually be functional.
[...]

The Apple proprietary component cables will run you $50, so watch out.
http://www.gadgetell.com/tech/ ... -apples-component-cables/

All versions of the Nokia N95 come with the Nokia TV-Out cable by default (you don't have to pay extra $50), but you can also use one you probably already have for your cabled TV (in Brazil would be NET, Sky, or something alike), since it uses the same port as the headphones. But you can't do that with your iPhone, which has its own port for TV-Out, and requires the Apple cable.

The N95 also comes with bluetooth mono headphones. The iPhone doesn't come with anything.

Now, talking about bluetooth, the N95 (just as any other normal phone that supports bluetooth should, apart from all of the iPhones) supports file transfer, remote connection and media streaming. N95's bluetooth is 2.0 with A2DP. And to add to that, since the first N95 model it already supported many bluetooth keyboards and bluetooth mouse (not only from Nokia). Not only that, but it also supports more bluetooth devices, such as printers and hands-free. But wait, what if your printer doesn't have bluetooth? There's no problem, you can use a cable on N95's mini USB port to connect it to your printer and print your Office 2007 and 2010 .docx files, Office 2003 and older .doc files, PDF or pictures from all formats. That's it, straight from the phone to the printer. By the way, the phone supports viewing and editing all of Office's (all versions) files, from powerpoint and excel to documents. You can also display powerpoint presentations on a projector directly from the phone.
iPhone - supports opening and editing Office (all versions) files through QuickOffice application.

So, let's say you need a file that's in your work mate's phone. But his phone is quite old and only supports infrared (it has already happened to me)... ok, no problem. The N95 features a infrared port too. And you can use this infrared port as a universal remote control to take control other infrared devices, such as air conditioning, TV, DVD, home theater, VCR, Tuner, SAT, etc. Video.
(TV controls include not only turning on and off, but also volume, channel, numbers, etc. Same thing for other devices).

Quote from freddyalek90 :iPhones now have video out port (well, that has always been there, hidden in the headphone port), MMS messaging, GPS with turn-by-turn directions by TomTom, Navteq, Navigon etc. (3G and 3Gs only, from OS 2.0), auto-focus, 30fps and 640x480 video recording, bluetooth stereo (3Gs only, from OS 3.0). And now it's coming OS 4.0 with added multitasking and other cool stuff.
That said, I have NEVER sent an MMS or tried a video call.

You mean 2009 iPhone 3Gs' only "30fps" video recording? It is not exactly 30FPS. It is up to 30fps. I haven't seen any video recorded from an iPhone 3Gs that actually had 30FPS. The iPhone camera gets lower FPS as illumination decreases, and also lower when you try to focus. I have seen iPhone's videos with 16,3fps, 21fps and so on. N95's camera don't get as influenced by exposition as the iPhone. It will basically stay 30FPS no matter how much lighting you have*. It's 9:25pm right now, I have just recorded a video right now with no lights turned on at all (just my monitor light), and it stood very well with stable 25fps. There was one guy doing some tests, trying out his new iPhone 3Gs inside his home, at about 5pm with all lights turned on, and his iPhone recorded the video at 16fps.

*Unless you purposely choose "Night mode", which makes camera exposure about 5 times bigger, so you'll have like 10~15fps videos depending on lighting, but now showing a lot more details at very dark scenes. However, this mode is not required for recording videos at night. I for one only use it if there is no source of light at all in the place I'm recording a video, which would make the normal mode totally black, but show up well in the night mode.

Quote from freddyalek90 :Then:
(found on the Internet)
Picture taken with N95
Picture taken with iPhone 3Gs
I cannot see much difference, can you? Or can I? Maybe I'm a little biased, but the difference is that the 3Gs' is focused... So, even if it has ONLY 3mp, it's a good camera.

As some other people have already pointed out, this picture was taken with a N80.
Here are some pictures I have taken with my N95-3. I sent them to the PC over bluetooth (which, btw, the iPhone doesn't support) and uploaded the raw pics here:
Picture 1, Picture 2, Picture 3, Picture 4, Picture 5, Picture 6.

Notice how you can read perfectly every single letter of the NFS Undercover box and how defined the other ones are.
I had to edit this pic because it included the cd-key. I opened it with paint and saved with paint JPG. Still, notice how you can see the details from the printer used to print that cd-key card. (opened, cropped and saved again using Microsft Paint's JPG)

I took this last picture with an N73 (because the N95 had to appear in the pic ).
Nokia N95 and iPhone

N95 can transfer files through bluetooth, wifi, infrared, MMS (yes, not only pics or videos, but any file).
It opens compacted .zip files by default, and with a simple free app you can make it also open, view and decompress .jar, .rar and other formats.
Another thing it has is a built-in File manager, which the iPhone doesn't have.

To sum it all up, here are the features the N95 has and the iPhone doesn't (not even the 3Gs):

- Bluetooth
        - Infrared
        - 5MP camera (iPhone ranges from 2MP to 3.2MP)
            - MMS
              - Flash (Flash Lite 3)
              - File manager
              - Mini USB port

Features the N95 had since 2007 and the iPhone had to implement years later, through software updates. Some of these features are only available for the newer released iPhones:
                      Quote from freddyalek90 :I mean, the N95 is a good phone. Yes, it CAN surf on the web, it CAN watch youtube videos, it CAN play games... in the same way my Astra 1.2 75bhp CAN do 100mph. If I had a faster car though, I would have gone at the same speed, but with a little bit less effort...

And the iPhone CAN'T make good use of bluetooth, CAN'T display flash websites, CAN'T take pictures with camera flash, CAN'T...
                      The N95 not only "does" these things. It does them well.

Quote from freddyalek90 :And an iPhone it's easier to use,

I agree with you. It may be easier to use when you have never ever used it before, but you'll use the phone everyday, for every task. No matter which phone you choose, you'll always know how to use it. The N95 is not difficult either. Do you know how long it took me to understand all of N95's buttons, from the moment I got it home after purchasing? It took me 1 minute to realize I didn't know how to turn on and ask a friend (I was used to hold the end call button as ON/OFF on my friends' phones), and then about 5 minutes to learn what every button did (by pressing them one at a time and check out ). And you know what? The N95 is my first cellphone. I had never had a cellphone before this one. I didn't even know what T9 was (and it's great, by the way, I write with it almost as fast as I write on the PC).

Quote from freddyalek90 :I assure you: if you use an iPhone for a week, you'll never return back to your old phone. That's what I did btw.

If I use an iPhone for a week I'll spend the whole day playing games, and I'll need to bring my N95 as well for using the features the iPhone doesn't support.
                      Attached images
                      11152008102.jpg
                      21122008087.jpg
                      24012010378.jpg
                      27112008047.jpg
                      27112008050.jpg
                      042120101248.jpg
                      paint jpg again.jpg
                      10242008008.jpg
                      oj and kush
                      A few factual errors in vel's post but I won't go into detail as I'm on my sodding phone

heh, irony win.
                      #54 - Jakg
                      The iPhone may not have as many features as i'd like, and Apple may be very very draconian - but it just... works.

My G1 can do pretty much everything the iPhone can and a whole lot more - but like every other smartphone... ever its quite slow and clunky to do so. The iPhone is instant - not because it's massively fast, but because it's been designed to feel fluent. Similarly, I hate software keyboards as on every device i've used them on (phones, tablets, PDA's, all in ones) it's been totally unnatural - thus why my current phone has a hardware keyboard. The first time I properly used my friends iPod Touch I was typing at almost exactly the same speed as on my phone - the software keyboard works * brilliantly*. Flash? Yeah, but it's the same for Android - not really their fault. File manager? As useful as it can be, you don't *need* to access the files on your phone. I do it alot when modding my phone, yes, but if you actually *use* the thing it's a bit pointless.

Yes the N95 may have more features - but are they all essential? Bluetooth, perhaps, IR? No way. 5 MP camera? Lens is more important, iPhone does very well there, Printing? It's a phone for gods sake. The N95 does *not* have such a fluent interface, though, and it doesn't have a touchscreen either - which makes browsing the web painful.

As much as it pains me to say this, my next phone will be an iPhone - just waiting to see how the iPhone 4G develops. All this extra hardware is gonna make it mighty expensive, especially the less useful stuff like higher resolution (I love high resolution devices - but VGA is enough for me on a screen that size) or the front facing video camera (i dont know anyone thats made a video call... ever - most people use the phone while doing something, as a pose to standing in "conversation mode")

In terms of features an Android phone would probably walk all over the N95 - but to use on a day to day basis the iPhone is probably going to better.

And no-one could ever, ever call me an Apple fanboy...
                      with the iphone and ipod touch it isn't that is it has lots of features (which it does but...) it's how easy it is to use. Currys have got an ipod touch demonstrator and when i tried that having never used an ipod touch before I knew what to do within 2 minutes. They are so simple and easy to use. That is why they are so popular. Hell i've got pretty large fingers and 97% of the time the tiny ipod touch virtual keyboard is fine. (and by large fingers I mean take up more than one key on the ipod touch.
                      #56 - aoun
                      Quote from Jakg :The iPhone may not have as many features as i'd like, and Apple may be very very draconian - but it just... works.

My G1 can do pretty much everything the iPhone can and a whole lot more - but like every other smartphone... ever its quite slow and clunky to do so. The iPhone is instant - not because it's massively fast, but because it's been designed to feel fluent. Similarly, I hate software keyboards as on every device i've used them on (phones, tablets, PDA's, all in ones) it's been totally unnatural - thus why my current phone has a hardware keyboard. The first time I properly used my friends iPod Touch I was typing at almost exactly the same speed as on my phone - the software keyboard works * brilliantly*. Flash? Yeah, but it's the same for Android - not really their fault. File manager? As useful as it can be, you don't *need* to access the files on your phone. I do it alot when modding my phone, yes, but if you actually *use* the thing it's a bit pointless.

Yes the N95 may have more features - but are they all essential? Bluetooth, perhaps, IR? No way. 5 MP camera? Lens is more important, iPhone does very well there, Printing? It's a phone for gods sake. The N95 does *not* have such a fluent interface, though, and it doesn't have a touchscreen either - which makes browsing the web painful.

As much as it pains me to say this, my next phone will be an iPhone - just waiting to see how the iPhone 4G develops. All this extra hardware is gonna make it mighty expensive, especially the less useful stuff like higher resolution (I love high resolution devices - but VGA is enough for me on a screen that size) or the front facing video camera (i dont know anyone thats made a video call... ever - most people use the phone while doing something, as a pose to standing in "conversation mode")

In terms of features an Android phone would probably walk all over the N95 - but to use on a day to day basis the iPhone is probably going to better.

And no-one could ever, ever call me an Apple fanboy...

You sir, deserve an apple! /pun

It seems this man can address a point that puts it over that image posted by Velociround. That image represents every non apple user on this planet talking about how the nokia has 100x more features which makes it a better phone.

This post too, also comming from a ex-nokia user since i was able to have my own phone when i was younger and never EVER liking apple. Dont like apple products, i think the ipad isnt good either, and their macs? i wont get into that, but the iphone, jakg says it all.

I still think nokia's are the best in mobiles, but some people can accept that apple made a phone thats absolutely amazing.

---

See that image can point out apple may be missing something, but it wont hurt if i was to reply to those questions.

Iphone camera does have good quality for on the go pictures. Other than that, ill use my DSLR thankyou very much. Also, i have about 15 apps that play with the camera and image on the phone that makes me think “f*ck, i shouldn’t have spent so much money on a CS4 Photoshop licence.

I got an app that has video recording and works really well.

Dont really need turn by turn unless im somewhat retarded. The maps on the iphone are great.

Wireless what?

You need to remove the battery for what reason? My sim goes at the top, not under the battery.

App for IM.

Video calling? Cmon, does the majority of phone users video call more often than voice call?

MMS works fine on the iphone for me.

Streaming audio stations? You got to be kidding me if you cant find that on the iphone.

One touch dialing? Who has the touch screen?

Video-out port, i know for a fact you can buy a cord from APPLE which allows this.
                      Quote from Velociround :But you can't do that with your iPhone, which has its own port for TV-Out, and requires the Apple cable.

I can use a normal minijack-RCA cable, it's just a software limitation.

Quote from Velociround :The N95 also comes with bluetooth mono headphones. The iPhone doesn't come with anything.

It comes with normal stereo headphones, the 2G and 3G ones have only the "end call" button, the 3Gs ones have also volume buttons.

Quote from Velociround :Now, talking about bluetooth (snip)
                      iPhone - supports opening and editing Office (all versions) files through QuickOffice application.

...AND normal bluetooth connectivity through a jailbreak and iBlueNova.

Quote from Velociround :InfraRed part

That's useful. /irony

Quote from Velociround :30FPS or not video part

I've seen a video recorded with a N95. Oh dear.

Quote from Velociround :pictures part

These pictures were taken in NY with my iPhone 3Gs:
                      One, two, three and four.
                      As you can see, the first pic is taken outside, like 11am, clear sky. The second is at night, the third is inside the Natural History Museum, so close to no light but, still, focused and not blurry. The fourth is in Central Park, afternoon, like 5 or 6 inches from the squirrel.
                      Just to compare, here are two pictures taken with the iPhone 2G:
                      One and two.
                      As you can see they're not so bad.

Quote from Velociround :N95 can transfer files through bluetooth, wifi, infrared, MMS (yes, not only pics or videos, but any file).
                      It opens compacted .zip files by default, and with a simple free app you can make it also open, view and decompress .jar, .rar and other formats.
                      Another thing it has is a built-in File manager, which the iPhone doesn't have.

I can SSH in my device through wifi, and you don't have a file manager because you don't need it. Jailbreaking it, though, you can have it.

Quote from Velociround :- Bluetooth

Having a full QWERTY keyboard, and being it very good, you don't need a bluetooth mouse/keyboard.
                        Quote from Velociround :

Well, I can transfer files through the USB cable and wifi.
                          Quote from Velociround :

Why?
                            Quote from Velociround :- Infrared

If a mate needs something to be transferred via IR, I think it's his problem, not mine xD
                            Quote from Velociround :- 5MP camera (iPhone ranges from 2MP to 3.2MP)

More MegaPixels doesn't mean more quality.
                            Quote from Velociround :

If you needed that you could jailbreak and download an app that does just that, even with the 2G.
                              Quote from Velociround :

A pic taken at night with ANY phone will be crap.
                                Quote from Velociround :- MMS

Has. Jailbreak with 2G, from start with 3G/3Gs.
                                Quote from Velociround :

Again, why?
                                  Quote from Velociround :- Flash (Flash Lite 3)

I prefer surfing easily through my touchscreen then continuing to press the "down" button but have Flash Player, thanks. And then, for YouTube videos there is a built-in app. Or you need flash for something else? To be clear, no offence intended xD
                                  Quote from Velociround :- File manager

Has via jailbreak.
                                  Quote from Velociround :- Mini USB port

Dock port. Can use cable from iPod. Next.

Quote from Velociround :Features the N95 had since 2007 and the iPhone had to implement years later, through software updates. Some of these features are only available for the newer released iPhones:

At least Apple DOES support and enhance older products. My old iPhone 2G was born without the scientific calculator, voice memos, the astonishing AppStore, screenshot capabilities, copy/paste, import contact from SIM etc... now it's almost 3 years old and it does have all this.

Quote from Velociround :

I think you're misinformed. You can copy something in Safari and then paste it anywhere else.

Quote from Velociround :

You have it where you need it, like for instance when someone calls you, or when playing the iPod.

Quote from Velociround :

No applications, but also no viruses.

Quote from Velociround :

Right.

Quote from Velociround :And the iPhone CAN'T make good use of bluetooth, CAN'T display flash websites, CAN'T take pictures with camera flash, CAN'T...
                                          The N95 not only "does" these things. It does them well.

I'll race you to give your phone to my grandmother, and say to her "Here's the calculator. What's 2+2?". Or "Enlarge this picture for me". Or "Go to that link down there and open it". Then give her an iPhone. Only then we'll discuss what phone does better what.

Quote from Velociround :I agree with you. It may be easier to use when you have never ever used it before, but you'll use the phone everyday, for every task. No matter which phone you choose, you'll always know how to use it. The N95 is not difficult either. Do you know how long it took me to understand all of N95's buttons, from the moment I got it home after purchasing? It took me 1 minute to realize I didn't know how to turn on and ask a friend (I was used to hold the end call button as ON/OFF on my friends' phones), and then about 5 minutes to learn what every button did (by pressing them one at a time and check out ). And you know what? The N95 is my first cellphone. I had never had a cellphone before this one. I didn't even know what T9 was (and it's great, by the way, I write with it almost as fast as I write on the PC).

With the iPhone it would have took you less actually. The N95 has 33 buttons (am I right?), the iPhone has 4 plus a switcher. I assure you, I had a N70 which, basically, has the same user interface then a N95. I mean, to change the ringtone you have to: Press the "Menu" key, go to "Tools", then "Profiles", then right soft key ("Options") on your profile, then go down to "Personalize", and finally "Ringing tone" (9 seconds for me), whereas with the iPhone you just have to press "Settings", then "Sounds", then "Ringtone" (5s). That's it.

Quote from Velociround :If I use an iPhone for a week I'll spend the whole day playing games, and I'll need to bring my N95 as well for using the features the iPhone doesn't support.

Because of course you use bluetooth to transfer files every day, or turn off your TV-set with your phone, not knowing why you didn't bother to use the remote control... Meh.

On the other hand, if you gave me a N95, I would need to take with my at least my old iPhone, because otherwise I would spend half of the day managing to understand how does the damn thing work, and the other half connecting it through wifi, bluetooth or something because I couldn't have all the music, videos and pics I have on mine.
                                          iPhone: from 8GB to 32GB (plus some 2G with 4GB memory);
                                          N95: 8GB max.

No way.

[sorry for the enormous post ]
                                          Attached images
                                          IMG_0103.JPG
                                          IMG_0178.JPG
                                          IMG_0290.JPG
                                          IMG_0369.JPG
                                          IMG_0034.JPG
                                          IMG_0023.JPG
                                          I had an N95 once.

It was crap, slow and clunky. And the screen broke 3 times.
                                          I know of NO phone that comes with headphones, if anything, they come with earplugs. Everyone with even a modicum of sense knows where they go, here's a tip:
                                          Well, earplugs ARE headphones.

Then, if I have to listen to something while being on the train etc, I use the earplugs. If I want quality I come home and fire up the Hi-Fi.

BTW, if you listen to MP3 files, it doesn't matter with what you listen to your music, it will have bad quality.
                                          #61 - Jakg
                                          Quote from aoun :...

Just to point out, a removeable battery IS handy. I have the OEM battery for my phone, and a second extended one - when I want heavy use I swap batteries. Similarly, an extra battery is a fiver so I can just swap batteries if I want an instant recharge. And eventually all batteries wear out - so you can replace it easily.

Can you do this on any iPod? No. They are all soldered in... and when the battery dies (it will), your shiny Apple device becomes a brick.

Not likely to happen in the next 2 years, admittedly, but on the PC side they used to run for a very long time, but they have made the iPod / iPhone range disposable, simply because the tiny size and cost saving of a non-replaceable battery has a much larger advantage - you will have to buy a new one after a while.
                                          #62 - wien
                                          Quote from mrodgers :Over here, you get the phone for free generally when you sign up for a service.

No. You just pay way too much for crappy service and get ridiculous contract periods and completely locked down phones in the bargain. That way you can't switch providers when it turns out their service does in fact suck and cost too much.

Quote from mrodgers :I'm tired of my side of the conversation being nothing but, what? Huh? I didn't catch that. You're breaking up. I can't hear you.....

See above.
                                          #63 - aoun
                                          Quote from Jakg :Just to point out, a removeable battery IS handy. I have the OEM battery for my phone, and a second extended one - when I want heavy use I swap batteries. Similarly, an extra battery is a fiver so I can just swap batteries if I want an instant recharge. And eventually all batteries wear out - so you can replace it easily.

Can you do this on any iPod? No. They are all soldered in... and when the battery dies (it will), your shiny Apple device becomes a brick.

Not likely to happen in the next 2 years, admittedly, but on the PC side they used to run for a very long time, but they have made the iPod / iPhone range disposable, simply because the tiny size and cost saving of a non-replaceable battery has a much larger advantage - you will have to buy a new one after a while.

True, didnt see it in that perspective. I guess it just comes down to person. Im fine with charging my battery whenever it needs charging, where as now ive learnt, some people like have multiple batterys charged already. Makes sence.
                                          About the battery "fault"...
                                          Yes, that's true, having a backup battery is a very clever idea.
                                          Having an iPhone (and so I cannot change the battery), I leave in my car a travel charger that plugs in the cigarette lighter, and a retracrable USB-Dock cable, so that if the battery dies, I can charge it a bit to make an emergency call.
                                          That said, even if I could, I wouldn't leave a lithium battery in my car, so I would buy a in-car charger, like I did with the iPhone...
                                          So, really, I don't feel the lack of an interchangeable battery. But if it doesn't work anymore... That's a different story.

Well, I sometimes actually feel the lack of having the possibility to open the back and pull out the battery... when it crashes xD
                                          But you can hard reset the thing by pressing the Sleep/Wake and the Home button together
                                          Quote from freddyalek90 :Well, earplugs ARE headphones.

Then, if I have to listen to something while being on the train etc, I use the earplugs. If I want quality I come home and fire up the Hi-Fi.

BTW, if you listen to MP3 files, it doesn't matter with what you listen to your music, it will have bad quality.

Apart from the fact that earbuds generally sound terrible, they're also terribly uncomfortable to wear and more likely to cause hearing loss than proper headphones. Obviously a studio headphone or some other high-impedance ones aren't suitable for mobile devices, as such lack the amp to power the headphones, but that doesn't mean there's no difference between portable headphones.

Regarding mp3, I'm fairly confident you couldn't tell a high bitrate mp3 from its uncompressed equivalent on comparatively low-fi mobile devices, including the iPhone, regardless of the headphones used. Sure, being lossy, it will definitely introduce artifacts even at high bitrates, but they're generally inaudible in ideal listening conditions and definitely inaudible in noisy environments.

Anyway, I don't have have any real interest in continuing this conversation
                                          lolin' pretty hard over you guys arguing over which phone has the less-shitty camera.
                                          Quote from DeadWolfBones :lolin' pretty hard over you guys arguing over which phone has the less-shitty camera.

Well, just ask, I have plenty of pics to show you.
                                          xD
                                          #68 - aoun
                                          I think DWB is trying to say who gives a shit what the camera is like on a mobile. Its like arguing about the cigarette lighters in two different cars.
                                          #69 - arco
                                          Quote from aoun :I think DWB is trying to say who gives a shit what the camera is like on a mobile. Its like arguing about the cigarette lighters in two different cars.

Bingo!

Any camera in a phone is going to be shitty, thanks to the size restraints.

Anyway, this is interesting news. Dell announces 4 new Android and Windows 7 phones. Pretty impressive looking:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/0 ... phone-7-device-leaks-out/

http://www.engadget.com/2010/0 ... inch-oled-screen-promise/

http://www.engadget.com/2010/0 ... m-factor-you-secretly-wa/

http://www.engadget.com/2010/0 ... yo-in-a-dramatic-package/
                                          Quote from mrodgers :About the iPhone.... I see them plenty, but one thing I don't think I've ever seen..... people talking on them as if they were a phone!

Sooo true.
                                          Quote from freddyalek90 :I can use a normal minijack-RCA cable, it's just a software limitation.

If there's a software limitation you can't exactly use it, can you?

Quote from freddyalek90 :It comes with normal stereo headphones, the 2G and 3G ones have only the "end call" button, the 3Gs ones have also volume buttons.

The N95 comes with:
                                          - stereo "earplugs" (actually I call them headphones I'm just saying earplugs because some people here seem to notice some difference between them, which I don't. I use a philips in-ear "earplug" (the box actually says headphones)).
                                          - TV-out cable (you don't have to pay for it).
                                          - Bluetooth mono headphone (never mind that thing on the left of the pic, I don't know what it is :razz

Quote from freddyalek90 :I can SSH in my device through wifi, and you don't have a file manager because you don't need it. Jailbreaking it, though, you can have it.

Quote :If you needed that you could jailbreak and download an app that does just that, even with the 2G.

Quote from freddyalek90 :...AND normal bluetooth connectivity through a jailbreak and iBlueNova.

Quote from freddyalek90 :Has via jailbreak.

The "stock" N95 has these features by default (was it you who said a few posts ago that you wanted a phone that had everything built-in? ) and you don't need to jailbreak the phone, which, if I'm not mistaken, voids the phone's warranty.

Quote from freddyalek90 :[pictures]
                                          As you can see they're not so bad.

They're not 5mp either.
                                          About the lens: the N95 has Carl Zeiss Optics Tessar 2.8/5.6 AF lens.

Quote from freddyalek90 :Having a full QWERTY keyboard, and being it very good, you don't need a bluetooth mouse/keyboard.

Unless, of course, you would want to use your phone as a gaming console and play your First Person Shooter iPhone games using mouse and keyboard while the phone is connected to your TV. Video. (he's not playing it on the TV though, but he could if he wanted). Notice: it's not an Nokia-exclusive-n95-only-mouse, it's an logitech mouse. Don't take that seriously lol

Quote from freddyalek90 :Well, I can transfer files through the USB cable and wifi.

A cable and a wifi won't go further than 300 meters. A MMS can be sent worldwide (just as emails, with the difference people get the MMS instantly, whereas by email you need to have a internet connection and check for emails constantly). The iPhone as you just said can transfer files through USB cable and wifi; The N95 can transfer files through USB cable, wifi, bluetooth, infrared, MMS and email, all by default. It can also compress these files (with or without password) in .zip or .rar before sending, and decompress received files.

Quote from freddyalek90 :Why?

To print files, of course. I've done that plenty of times already. By the way, I forgot to mention: You can also use a shared printer from an already set up lan or wifi connection. The phone connects to the LAN and uses the printer normally as if it were a computer. You can see the printing preview on the phone and change printing settings/preferences before printing. It also supports printing to microSD card (which means it creates a file in the microSD which will be read by a printer with card reader capabilities and then printed).

Quote from freddyalek90 :If a mate needs something to be transferred via IR, I think it's his problem, not mine xD

Poor him lol.
                                          In my case it was me that needed his file for a work.

Quote from freddyalek90 :A pic taken at night with ANY phone will be crap.

Whilst that is mostly true, not all phones end up with crap night pictures, and having flash does make a considerable difference, specially if you consider that you just can't take some pictures without flash (because in some places there may not be enough light to even recognize who is the person in the pic).
                                          This is a picture I took at 4: ... I tried to take the pic.

Quote from freddyalek90 :Has. Jailbreak with 2G, from start with 3G/3Gs.

MMS in this case is a "category", the features I'm mentioning about this category are below, and it does not support sending files (other than video(3Gs) and pics (3G)) through MMS, which was what I mentioned.

Quote from freddyalek90 :Again, why?

In this case, you are quoting "file transfer" under "MMS", which is different from the other ones (I could have explained better, sorry. Features are organized by - Category and then [list]Features under category).
                                          And the answer to that question is because I use it a lot. Not everyday, but very often. Otherwise I wouldn't care about this feature.
                                          I use bluetooth file transfer even more (that is, almost everyday). And using another free app you can browse, transfer, edit and manage files via bluetooth in other devices through the N95.

Quote from freddyalek90 :I prefer surfing easily through my touchscreen then continuing to press the "down" button but have Flash Player, thanks. And then, for YouTube videos there is a built-in app. Or you need flash for something else? To be clear, no offence intended xD

If you used your bluetooth mouse, you wouldn't have to keep pressing "down" button, you'd scroll down. (this is much more of a joke than a real argument for having flash player xD)
                                          But really, there are many websites that use flash, not just youtube. Hey, even I have had some flash websites. And I don't know almost anything about flash.

Quote from freddyalek90 :At least Apple DOES support and enhance older products. My old iPhone 2G was born without the scientific calculator, voice memos, the astonishing AppStore, screenshot capabilities, copy/paste, import contact from SIM etc... now it's almost 3 years old and it does have all this.

All of the Nokia N95 have recently received a recent update (21/dec/2009) which made the system use less RAM (about 5MB less RAM usage from the system), boot up and perform faster and at the same time reduce power usage and save battery life. That was after they stopped producing the N95.

Quote from freddyalek90 :You have it where you need it, like for instance when someone calls you, or when playing the iPod.

Quote from freddyalek90 :No applications, but also no viruses.

I don't know any Symbian virus, I haven't had any viruses in my phone either and there are plenty of (free and paid) antivirus applications for S60v3 which should do the job for the people who really think it is necessary. I don't use one and I've never gotten a virus.

Quote from freddyalek90 :With the iPhone it would have took you less actually. The N95 has 33 buttons (am I right?), the iPhone has 4 plus a switcher. I assure you, I had a N70 which, basically, has the same user interface then a N95. I mean, to change the ringtone you have to: Press the "Menu" key, go to "Tools", then "Profiles", then right soft key ("Options") on your profile, then go down to "Personalize", and finally "Ringing tone" (9 seconds for me), whereas with the iPhone you just have to press "Settings", then "Sounds", then "Ringtone" (5s). That's it.

I have already used an iPhone for quite some time (like spending a day with it. It was not mine, by the way), and whilst it didn't do what I wanted it to do, it is indeed very easy to begin messing around. If you give it to a baby, the baby will manage to use it without major problems. However, the phone I used was in Portuguese, and seriously, it has some very weird translations. For instance, I have failed to find the "Settings" app in the phone when I first tried seeking for it. I simply couldn't find it. It was translated to a totally weird name in portuguese which you don't see in any other device. All devices use either "Settings", "Options", "Preferences" or something alike (most common is "Settings"). Apple changed the name to something totally different so that it would takes less space than actually writing "Configurações" (settings) or "Ferramentas" (tools), but they used "Acertos", which is something like "fine-tune". I couldn't find this button at all, I had to ask a friend "where are the settings?" because after 5 minutes seeking for it I didn't find it. The N95 uses "Tools" and "Settings", which is the common one and I had no problems whatsoever finding it since I first purchased the phone.

Quote from freddyalek90 :Because of course you use bluetooth to transfer files every day[...]

I do.

Quote from freddyalek90 :[...], or turn off your TV-set with your phone, not knowing why you didn't bother to use the remote control... Meh.

Not only turn off; all of the normal remote control buttons are available on the N95. But in this case you're right, I only do it when I want to impress some friends. I have heard stories from people who managed to unlock their cars that way, but I haven't managed to do so.

Quote from freddyalek90 :[...]and the other half connecting it through wifi, bluetooth or something because I couldn't have all the music, videos and pics I have on mine.
                                          iPhone: from 8GB to 32GB (plus some 2G with 4GB memory);
                                          N95: 8GB max.

I'm sorry, but this information is wrong.
                                          Apart from the N95 8GB, which is limited to 8GB, all the other N95 which have a MicroSD port support flawlessly up to 16GB class 6 microSD cards (any manufacturer). Also supports microSDHC. I've tested one of these 16GB microSDHC cards myself on my phone when I was going to purchase mine, and the phone not only recognized it but asked me if I wanted to format and give it a name (it was a brand new microSD from the store). But the 8GB one was so much cheaper (like 3 times cheaper) that I decided to take the 8GB card instead. Today I regret having done that. Right now I only have 666MB free on the microSD card.
                                          It's just enough for me, though, and I won't be using more than that any time soon. Actually, I'm "wasting space" just for the sake of it.

Content of my 8GB memory card (666MB free).

- 1542 pics taken with the camera (about 1GB)
                                          - 314 songs (had 350 before. I deleted some I didn't quite like or didn't listen) (2GB)
                                          - 28 640x360p videos downloaded from the internet (2GB)
                                          - 21 videos recorded with the camera
                                          - some torrents downloaded with SymTorrent
                                          - 130 apps/games installed (plenty of symbian games, many n-gage games, quake 2 (I - don't play quake 3) and some other pc games, super nintendo emulator, gameboy advanced emulator, windows 3.1, windows 95 and windows 98), etc... plus their installers (I don't remove any file from the phone, even if I have already installed an app, I keep its installer in the memory card. Well, I even keep the files from plenty of apps which are not installed or I have uninstalled ).
                                          - About 50MB of documents (power point, excel, docx and so on)
                                          - "Downloads" folder with all files I download from the internet (450MB) (unlimited data and Opera Mobile FTW)
                                          - 75MB (SMS + MMS)

PS: holy big post batman! I guess I have overdone my writing quota...

See you guys
                                          Attached images
                                          02022010807.jpg
                                          i'd justlike to congratulate freddyalek90 for resisting the temptation to say that his third picture from the history museum http://www.lfsforum.net/attach ... mp;stc=1&d=1271940035 was of a non apple user

seriously though isn't it amazing how vociferous people get about the iphone and apple in genral (on both sides).

personally i've never considered an iphone in the past for the simple reason an O2 contract would have meant having a phone that would not function as a phone when i was at home or in work. now the iphone is available on orange i'm considering one. not because it's an iphone but for the same reason i have a PC rather than a mac (or whatever they call them these days) namely that there are more apps / programs that would be of use to me available on it than on the competitors.

if nokia etc want to compete then they should control the third party "apps" on their products a bit more, a personal hate of mine is the BBC iplayer from the ovi store that only works on my nokia for 3 days after instalation before locking everytime it's used and then has to be reinstalled to use it for another 3 days.

yes the battery life would be short but since i charge my phone everyday anyway whilst i sleep it's not insurmountable, the camera / lens is good enough to take those spur of the moment / scene of accident / crime pics, anything special like from day trips etc, i use my pointy clicky digi cam or the DSLR
                                          #75 - AMB
                                          Thinking of getting an IPhone, 8GB, but I was wondering if anyone knows whether I can pay off my existing contract? it still has over half the contract left (18mths) i'm assuming it would be a one off payment of the remainder of my contract right?

Edit: I'm on 3G.

iPhone 4
                                          (480 posts, started )
                                          FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG