The online racing simulator
iPhone 4
(480 posts, started )
That's really cheap. I pay 70$ for Unlimited Data, Text, but only 100 daytime minutes... Mind, I do get good speed.. like 450KB/s when I was using my iPhone as a tether.
I have poor reception at home and at work (and at my parents). I'm lucky if I get two bars at any moment, even with the phone in the ideal positions (on my sofa, on my desk, or at the foot of my bed). This is the same with Nokias, Samsungs, Blackberries, an LG, my iPhone 3G and my iPhone 4.

The best reception (held or not, and in a case or not) is had by my iPhone 4. It's brilliant at finding and holding onto a signal. I can now text in bed without having to get up (although I do have to find the right position for it).

I want a Femtocell thingy. Vodafone offer one in the UK, but none of the other carriers do.

T-Mobile has good signal around here, but their price plans were rubbish, so I stayed with O2.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :That's really cheap. I pay 70$ for Unlimited Data, Text, but only 100 daytime minutes... Mind, I do get good speed.. like 450KB/s when I was using my iPhone as a tether.

I pay $60/mo for unlimited web/text and 450 anytime minutes (nights/weekends free), but I have a "featurephone" (LG enV Touch).
all you "unlimited" people might want to read the small print.

some companies write in the small print that "unlimited" is set to a specific amount. and therefore its not really unlimited.

in the uk o2 was the only provider to actually offer unlimited but they curbed that now.

all those orange, vodafone, t-mobile plans that said UNLIMITED INTERNET WERE NOT REALLY UNLIMITED, i got suckered into this 15 months ago.

but now the companies have to actually say the mb usage now.

but anyway moving on xD
I think my unlimited says I get cut off after several months of like 10GB or something.. I don't tether enough to come close to that.. Heck, in 4 months I've only used 8 GB of data.
Well it's been 5 months since I contracted this unlimited data plan (not unlimited texts or talk time, just unlimited data. Data costs $28, but total plan cost with texts (30sms/month) and talk time (60minutes/month) is about $39). My carrier is TIM. As far as I know it really is unlimited, but I haven't even managed to download more than 4GB/month on the phone yet... If there is a limit, it must be very much higher than my normal usage. I almost don't use tethering though... when I first contracted it I used it a lot because GVT wasn't installed home yet, but now I just don't need it... I use it mostly when my sister comes home with her netbook, in which case I open a wifi hotspot on the phone for her to use the internet.

Anyway, what I really need is a unlimited text plan because last month I sent over 300 sms and I had to pay an extra $66 because of it.
im surprised they havent tried to blame this on microsoft yet considering all their rf equipment from rhode & schwarz is running on windows (and presumably their antenna simulations tools as well)
Quick update.

Was very impressed to discover my iPhone got 3 bars of reception in my house - this is unheard of on ANY phone that's been through my house.

I was so impressed, I told my housemate/lodger, and started discussing the non existent aerial issue. I removed the phone from it's case (which I use to protect it), and did the death grip as it's called. After about 30 seconds I Los reception. Hold it differently, and reception comes back in a short while. In the case all is fine.

So, it would appear I do suffer the problem. But not in 5 bar reception areas (even on 4.0). And not, it seems, at work where the most I've had is one bar. Very odd. Will experiment more...

Still not an issue as I'll always use a case anyway (I have been known to drop phones), but worth noting I wasn't pretending to have not had a problem.

Confession over.
that screen is..d.u.r.a.b.l.e.
anyone else se that rather strange case of an iphone 4 catching fire due to a faulty USB socket ? despite apple saying it was a fault it sounds rather suspicious to me and more like a user error (faulty mains to USB converter?) having said that there's also been reports of some getting hot when in use and not connected to anything.

personally i think there's a lot of people trying to come up with a fault just because there is this issue about reception and to have their little 5 mins of glory (and possibly a fee for the story). apple probably feel it's easier just to replace things and keep their heads down rather than defend themselves and make the story larger.
right HTC it is then.
Quote from Luke.S :right HTC it is then.

Quit being a wanker, you wouldn't be buying an iPhone anyways... The only people who whine about it, are the poeple who won't buy one.
-
(5haz) DELETED by 5haz
Quote from dawesdust_12 :quit being a wanker, you wouldn't be buying an iphone anyways... The only people who whine about it, are the poeple who won't buy one.

What should I say, QFT.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :The only people who whine about it, are the poeple who won't buy one.

LOL. I wouldn't waste that much money on a phone, that's it. I have a Nokia 5800, which is perfect for me, and I can use the bloody bluetooth. (which I use a lot). Alright, it's much slower than an iPhone, but who cares about speed? I don't. This phone knows all I need, that's it.
Quote from Töki (HUN) :LOL. I wouldn't waste that much money on a phone, that's it. I have a Nokia 5800, which is perfect for me, and I can use the bloody bluetooth. (which I use a lot). Alright, it's much slower than an iPhone, but who cares about speed? I don't. This phone knows all I need, that's it.

I always transfer stuff via BlueTooth with my mate. I have an iPhone 3Gs and he has an iPhone 3G. Now what? xD
ok serious question to both the iphone and anti iphone camps

what exactly do you use your phones for?

i'm not knocking them just wondered what i'd gain as my current phone allows me to make calls,text, take reasonably decent pics and vids, multiple alarms, calander and planner, gps, watch videos, use bbc iplayer, calculator, listen to podcasts and music to a reasonable quality on the speakers and has enough space on the memory card to act as a usefull portable storage medium.

what extra's am im missing out that i'll actually want to use ?
Quote from tinvek :ok serious question to both the iphone and anti iphone camps

what exactly do you use your phones for?

i'm not knocking them just wondered what i'd gain as my current phone allows me to make calls,text, take reasonably decent pics and vids, multiple alarms, calander and planner, gps, watch videos, use bbc iplayer, calculator, listen to podcasts and music to a reasonable quality on the speakers and has enough space on the memory card to act as a usefull portable storage medium.

what extra's am im missing out that i'll actually want to use ?

Well only a couple of 200.000 + applications, nothing else..
You can have pretty much everything that iPhone has for half the price, but you won't have some cool iPhone only applications, the awesome acceloremeter and the best touchscreen experience out there.
Quote from Boris Lozac :Well only a couple of 200.000 + applications, nothing else..
You can have pretty much everything that iPhone has for half the price, but you won't have some cool iPhone only applications, the awesome acceloremeter and the best touchscreen experience out there.

ok so what do all these aplications do for me, what are the most usefull apps? is there actually anything i need or are they all just toys to help people justify their phone ? will the "awesome accelerometer and best touch screen experience" do anything for me that my current phone can't do?
Quote from tinvek :ok so what do all these aplications do for me, what are the most usefull apps? is there actually anything i need or are they all just toys to help people justify their phone ? will the "awesome accelerometer and best touch screen experience" do anything for me that my current phone can't do?

Well check them out on iTunes and see for yourself.. there's something for everyone. Accelometer will only be noticable in games, yes.. as for touchscreen, if i was to buy a touchscreen phone, i would want the best one, the easiest to type, the smoothest etc.. but yes, if you don't care for touchscreen and applications, then you don't need an iPhone, why is that even a question.
exactly, the more i look the more i see that the iphone and the HTc are both pointless for me, i have no desire to play games on my phone (which is touch screen and responds very nicely ) whilst i go to work as i drive to work, and in break times i prefer to read a decent book, usually complicated historical references which have picutres and diagrams etc which often are missing from their e book equivilent.

what i'm asking is what in people's experience are the most usefull apps for either platform as i'm struggling to convince my self i couldn't spend the money elsewhere and get more from it.

EDIT just had a look at the iphone apps of the week archive and the only app that would be vaguely of use to me is the star maps app and thats only if i managed to completely forget 40 years knowlage of studying constellations etc. and why a shazam app? works perfectly well on any mobile phone just by pressing 4 numbers and the dial key
iPhone apps are lightyears ahead of those on Android.. that's the best answer. Why i'm interested in iPhone for example is it's looks (best design IMO, both 3G/S and 4), best touchscreen and some apps i'm interested in, but mostly for GPS. I don't want to buy a standalone GPS for my car and have to cary it every time, why not have it on the phone.
The most use out of smartphones will have business people, who on the move can do some stuff that can't wait, like emails etc, there are some very good business applications for example..
thats fair enough boris, you've obviously got a need for one but despite being very open towards getting one i'm afraid i just can't justify it for me on any grounds apart from it's "desirability" (oh and +1 about gps but i've got that on my current nokia 5800 and it's more accurate than my fathers tom tom)

maybe it's just me, as i dont really get twitter apart from specific uses such as updates on services etc, i certainly have no desire to know who stephen fry is sitting with, what he's eating or if he's having a shit and i wouldn't expect anyone else to want to know the same about me, similarly facebook, why broadcast every little detail of your private life (and then complain that face book doesn't protect your privacy). if someone wants to get in touch with me by email it can wait till i'm ready to read it, if it's urgent then they can phone me, if they haven't got my number then it's pretty probable i don't want to hear from them, i certainly don't want to waste time clearing adverts etc out of my email box when im away from my pc doing something else
Sure, everything internet related for me, can wait till i'm home or at work, i also have no facebook nor twitter account.. I said the only reason i will switch from my current phone that works perfectly fine 4 years now (Nokia 6230i) is for GPS, cause i really need one, i'm worse then James May when it comes to orientation and navigation.. and i kinda always wanted an iPhone, for it's looks and for it's functions, that, ARE, better then competition.. i've 'studied' it and competitors for quite a while now, i always do that before i buy something, and pretty much everything is better on iPhone, the smoothness of the scrolling, zooming, functionality of the icons, etc.. and i kinda like those closed platforms, Android system is too much nerdy and "linux" for me.. Every app is specifically designed for iPhone and iPhone only, using it's specs the best. Android is kinda like PC games, badly optimised and take unnecessary ammount of hardware power..
well the reason i have an iphone, is it feels sturdy, it is easy to use, nice touch screen, it is designed to be durable (not sure how well they succede). the customer service is very good, you can customise it however you want, weather its jailbreaking, cases, backgrounds ect. you can get it in the size harddrive that will fit you, and your budget. there are many apps for everything. and the reason you find the apps pointless is you just looked at the top, or just a few.

say you have an iphone, you have service, but you need to (insert almost ANY task here); you look on your iphone to see if there is an app for that important task. what do you know, there is! there is a free version which you quickly check to see if it will do what you want, and what it claims, before you quickly spend, GASP! 99 cents!

almost every app is affordable , for what it is...they have reviews to see if it is actually good, screenshots ect.

they are all created by people, and some by companies..so there are millions, that are bound to help you throught the day.

i dont think im a fanboy? i just advertise what works

like with firefox, and avira antivirus, i have never gotten a virus, but have come close a few times, where avira was like "oh HEEEEEEELLLLLLLL no."

EDIT: and i recomend that to everybody with a computer, does that make me a firefox, and avira fanboy?
I use my smartphone to check my emails / Facebook on the move, bid on stuff on eBay, log my MPG, surf the web occasionally and then maybe make calls and texts.

If theres something you'd like to use your phone for, chances are theres an app on either the iOS or Android platforms that let you do it - i.e. have apps on my phone that let me datalog from my car (record 0-60 / 1/4 mile times using it's accelerometer and GPS), check prices from barcodes (i.e. see if it's not massively cheaper online when I want to buy a book or something), go on MSN, Facebook, control my PC's music from anywhere in the house, calculate my MPG & identify tracks "by ear".

Android has nowhere near as many apps as the iOS platform, but all the good stuff is on both (i.e. not the dross fartbox apps) platforms and usually cheaper / free on the Android Market.

The iOS phones are a lot more expensive despite doing the same stuff - but they are "slicker" to use. If you want the ultimate fluid experience - get an iPhone. If you have a featurephone, and want to get a smartphone without breaking the bank then Android it is.

iPhone 4
(480 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG