The online racing simulator
iPhone 4
(480 posts, started )
Quote from Shotglass :if you knew anything about cellphone youd know that the bars displayed are either the received power or the snr both of whihc is not a display issue

yes it is

clearly you know nothing about antennas

it is a genuine issue
one of the simplest tests i and my colleagues use all the time is to put a hand on top of the radiating element while looking at the antennas s paramaters... if the curve changes a lot you know the antenna is at least radiating since all the poer is either absorbed by your hand or reflected back into the antenna
once you get to the point where you have direct galvanic contact between your hand and the antennas conducting parts near as makes no difference all the energy ends up in your hand

Quite easy to duplicate on my 3G with ios4 - so I suspect it's more firmware than hardware. But of course, that wouldn't be as much fun as slagging off the chassis antennas with no actual, real, evidence or data.
If you could read, it's actually the glue hasn't set yet. Foxconn just can't make enough iPhones to meet the demand. Never see that happening with any Android phones.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :If you could read, it's actually the glue hasn't set yet. Foxconn just can't make enough iPhones to meet the demand. Never see that happening with any Android phones.

Well it's still a problem. When I pay £500 for a phone I expect it to be 100% perfect. Especially with an apple. So don't try and defend them. This is apple cutting quality and increasing the price.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :If you could read, it's actually the glue hasn't set yet. Foxconn just can't make enough iPhones to meet the demand. Never see that happening with any Android phones.

Actually, the Droid Incredible is out of stock most everywhere.
Quote from Luke.S :Well it's still a problem. When I pay £500 for a phone I expect it to be 100% perfect. Especially with an apple. So don't try and defend them. This is apple cutting quality and increasing the price.

Get off your ****ing high horse. Do you expect a car that you buy for 13000£ to be perfect too? Guess what, they're not.

When you design something so close to perfection, inevitably defects will surface. Just because you're used to shit that is manufactured to break, or has defective software (Like Android).

And when you haffto call your phone Incredible in the name you know it's making up for something (I'll give you a hint, it's the hardware and the software.. just to make it easy for you guys)
Theres poor build quality, and then theres not QC'ing any of your stock and giving cars with wet paint to customers...
Exactly. If its so close to "perfection", I expect it to be bloody perfect and finished! Now there is all kinds of problems and it only just came out.

You are the one who should get off the high horse Dawe. Time to admit the cockup.

"Hey yeah. To use the new ... hold it differently"

Nice...
Quote from DevilDare :
You are the one who should get off the high horse Dawe. Time to admit the cockup.

Oh, it got released the other day. I'm sure you've heard.
this whole debacle would make for a great dilbert comic

problem: the iphone doesnt work if you hold it in your hands
analysis: there must be something wrong with your hands
soltution: dorky looking plastic case
Stop it.
It's always like this, when it comes out a new Apple product.
  • iPhone 2G
    "omg, it doesn't have the unit converter blablablablabla".
    In two months they sold a million of these.

• iPhone 3G
    "omg, I've heard that the white one's case cracks".
    (I've seen only an iPhone with cracks on the back, because it was DROPPED)
    They sold one million in three days.

• iPhone 3Gs
    "omg the battery is so small you can't even turn it on, and you can cook an egg on the back"
    Again, a million in three days.
Now, all of those who bought an iPhone were fanboyz? I don't think so.
All of them were trying to help Apple in their plan (take over the world)?
If they sold 50,000,000 units with 3 (three) models (i.e. the original 2G, the 3G and the 3Gs), their phones aren't that bad. Full stop.

Now we have the same old story. New iPhone comes out, it has problems (ok, the antenna one IS a problem. Why are you moaning for the screen's glue that isn't set? Now some have those yellowish patches, in a week they won't), Apple will try to stop it losing signal with a software upgrade.
If they fail, they'll pick up any phone with that problem and give you a new sparkling one without problems, as always.
Quote from freddyalek90 :If they sold 50,000,000 units with 3 (three) models (i.e. the original 2G, the 3G and the 3Gs), their phones aren't that bad. Full stop.

Well, it's often said but it needs repeating here...good sales don't mean a good product. Yes, the fact that they have such great sales means their products aren't total junk that fall apart when you look at them but it doesn't mean they're the best in their class or even better than the majority of their competitors. The vast majority of the general public are not really savvy when it comes to technology. They are not well-educated in what exactly is available in each class so they're much more pliable when it comes to marketing. Apple undeniably have a very strong marketing department so they reach lots of those people who are not tech savvy. If your marketing makes your product look revolutionary and the best in its class (even it it isn't) those people will fall for it. That's the key to Apple's success IMO. What it does is to lower people's expectations from technology. If people still buy a product despite the fact that it is missing some features which should be considered essential or it performs poorly or has inherent design flaws (all of which could be fairly levelled at iPhones) then companies aren't pressured into actually improving their products. I'm not saying every person who buys an Apple product is a tech moron who doesn't know anything about the market though.
I reckon it's to do with conductive skin - my brother has conductive skin, in so much that a multimeter across his palm registers a finite resitance, whereas across my palm it shows infinite resistance (i.e. insulation).

So I reckon I'll be fine!!!
Apple just released their newest accesory:
a colleague told me today (he already told me in april but i hadnt made the connection until after he told me again today) that while attending an antenna conference this year he happened to come across an apple booth where they were trying to hire and antenna engineer
from what he gathered while talking to them they apparently dont (maybe didnt) have anyone who knows anything about antennas at apple

Quote from tristancliffe :I reckon it's to do with conductive skin - my brother has conductive skin, in so much that a multimeter across his palm registers a finite resitance, whereas across my palm it shows infinite resistance (i.e. insulation).

So I reckon I'll be fine!!!

even if this wasnt most likely badly measured youll still be covering the radiating element entirely and severely limit its gain
Why are you such a fanboy dawe? This is hilarious, there's million reasons to hate and mock this..
Got to love this bit of advice

Quote from Crapple :The official advice is to "avoid gripping it in the lower left corner in a way that covers both sides of the black strip in the metal band"

They are complete idiots IMO.
Lucky your opinion don't matter as you're just 1 person, out of billions of people, and millions have already bought the phone.
iPod touch > iPhone

iPhone 4
(480 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG