The online racing simulator
Quote from Rappa Z :
  • People forgot this have been the devs' full time jobs for the years (is it 7+ now?). If they don't work on LFS then they don't attract customers and then they don't make money. They have families to support and in order to do that, they need to put together a quality piece of work that can stay competitive with the uber-realistic market.

Well, if that is important to them. I suggest the first thing they should do is keeping the existing community with LFS, by keeping us updated on the progress (even if there's very little progress). That simple action would reduce the irritation quite a bit I think.
Quote from BoneCrusher :Well, if that is important to them. I suggest the first thing they should do is keeping the existing community with LFS, by keeping us updated on the progress (even if there's very little progress). That simple action would reduce the irritation quite a bit I think.

We have been updated on the progress. Scawen made a statement in November listing all the things that are currently being worked on ahead of the next major patch release. He has since made a number of posts reiterating that statement (the last as recently as a couple of weeks ago). In other words that list of things (tyre physics, setups, AI, suspension etc.) is what he is still busy with. What more are you wanting? A step by step commentary of exactly which function or subroutine is being worked on at any one time? What good would that be? Most of us are not programmers and those of us who are don't have access to LFS's codebase anyway so such information would be meaningless to us.

In addition Scawen has made no secret of the fact that the most important thing to him is the quality of the sim - not the number of players or the amount of money it makes (the latter are merely by-products of the former anyway). He has even recommended that those who are no longer enjoying LFS during this period of slow progress should go and find something else to do in the meantime - another sim,or maybe another activity entirely. When the patch is finished you can try it out and see if you think LFS is worth coming back to - it's your choice. Alternatively, if you are so sure of what the devs are doing wrong you can follow his other suggestion and create your own sim, and show them how it should be done.

The fact is there is nothing Scawen and the guys could do to remove the irritation felt by certain members of the community. There are too many people with an unreasonable sense of entitlement - I can't count the number of times I've seen someone claim to 'deserve' or 'be owed' something from the devs. This is horseshit of the highest order. They created a product, you liked it, you paid for it - end of. Personally I am extremely grateful for the way they do business. The video game market (and software in general) is flooded with titles whose quality has been badly compromised in order to meet deadlines set by the moneymen at major publishers. If the cost of avoiding seeing LFS suffering likewise is the requirement for a bit of patience at times, I think it's well worth it.
Can't wait to see how those people drifting with ridiculously hot tyres (soapy tyres bug users) will be unable to drift a single corner after new tyre physics comes along with new tyre heating and cooling system :hihi:

Maybe this patch will finally fix the bariers too...
drifting will be even better
Quote from Amynue :Can't wait to see how those people drifting with ridiculously hot tyres (soapy tyres bug users) will be unable to drift a single corner after new tyre physics comes along with new tyre heating and cooling system :hihi:

Maybe this patch will finally fix the bariers too...

Dude, have you ever seen 300+ HP car (i.e. FZ5) being unable to drift?
Imo, even the weaker XRT will do the job nicely as well. So, you'd better not care about that, I'm sure it'll be great, as mustang said
Quote from Amynue :Can't wait to see how those people drifting with ridiculously hot tyres (soapy tyres bug users) will be unable to drift a single corner after new tyre physics comes along with new tyre heating and cooling system :hihi:

Same here. Will be interesting to see what those idiots who burnout against pit walls are going to do after that "exploit" is fixed.
Quote from ZiemO :Dude, have you ever seen 300+ HP car (i.e. FZ5) being unable to drift?
Imo, even the weaker XRT will do the job nicely as well. So, you'd better not care about that, I'm sure it'll be great, as mustang said

what i think he means is that the drifters are used to how the physics are now, they would have to learn all again how to drift, meaning they will do it wrong :P
oh all the spinning out

the rac *shudders* :hide:
Winners don't do drifting.
Remember kids. Drifting is baaaaad.
Quote from Amynue :Maybe this patch will finally fix

Wait wait.. You are saying a patch is coming?
Quote from cargame.nl :Wait wait.. You are saying a patch is coming?

yeah he is da boss u know :wtf2: :eclipsee_
----> :melting:
Quote from Matrixi :Same here. Will be interesting to see what those idiots who burnout against pit walls are going to do after that "exploit" is fixed.

Thats kind of guys I was talking about. I'm tired of overtaking these idiots blocking the road, going 40km/h at 5th gear.
It's retarded to consciously do something unrealistic in a simulator. Go play NFS.

Quote from e2mustang :drifting will be even better

No doubt. It's going to be the biggest improvement of physics since S2 was released.

By the way I can't wait to see that in action:
Quote from Scawen :Also things like that little puff of smoke that comes out from a hot piece of tyre each time it hits the road - that has no place in the new LFS physics. In fact, I recently added code that can emit smoke from all hot parts of a tyre (regardless of whether they are touching the road or not). It's quite nice and convincing in some situations but persists for too long in other situations and itself proves that the heating model is not yet right.

Quote from Amynue :It's retarded to consciously do something unrealistic in a simulator.

Then I guess all aliens are retarded.
While we wait we can all have fun in Indianapolis. I haven't finished the 200 laps yet, but i'm on my way, and tyre physics are f***king awesome.

Quote from SmashCLS :While we wait we can all have fun in Indianapolis. I haven't finished the 200 laps yet, but i'm on my way, and tyre physics are f***king awesome.

If it has multiplayer and wheel support, then I'm in for some online races!
what if the tire physics are the same feeling for all the cars we know already, except in extreme cases, and maybe heat....but it just makes it better for the scirocco
I hope that the tyre physics will be almost future proofing the game, so if features such as wet weather, track temperature, brake temp which all affect car handling and tyres are implemented then the perfect tyre model that Scawen is working on can be applied to these. Perhaps saving the trouble of rewriting the tyre physics every time such a feature is added to the game in the future.
Quote from logitekg25 :what if the tire physics are the same feeling for all the cars we know already, except in extreme cases, and maybe heat....but it just makes it better for the scirocco

Then I'm going to trow a pie in your face, because you have exposed the sad truth.

E: how the F*** can I have 1,400 posts, I don't post that often?
Quote from rockclan :

E: how the F*** can I have 1,400 posts, I don't post that often?

The developers say "Snap"
Quote from Major Del :I hope that the tyre physics will be almost future proofing the game, so if features such as wet weather, track temperature, brake temp which all affect car handling and tyres are implemented then the perfect tyre model that Scawen is working on can be applied to these. Perhaps saving the trouble of rewriting the tyre physics every time such a feature is added to the game in the future.

Oh, at this rate im SURE they will be future proof, since they will come out.... IN THE FUTURE!
Quote from Major Del :I hope that the tyre physics will be almost future proofing the game, so if features such as wet weather, track temperature, brake temp which all affect car handling and tyres are implemented then the perfect tyre model that Scawen is working on can be applied to these. Perhaps saving the trouble of rewriting the tyre physics every time such a feature is added to the game in the future.

Track and brake temperatures would not require a rewrite of the tyre model. Wet weather may require extensions to the tyre model, depending upon the implementations used.
Huh? I understand that brake temperature has no effect on the tyres, but track temperature of course has. And AFAIK temperatures currently only affect the tyres in terms of cooling them with the ambient temperature. But there's more to it
Quote from SmashCLS :While we wait we can all have fun in Indianapolis. I haven't finished the 200 laps yet, but i'm on my way, and tyre physics are f***king awesome.

one of the best racing games of all time...how you had to answer the questions out of the book in order to get into the game...early anti-piracy, lol!
Quote from RasmusL :Huh? I understand that brake temperature has no effect on the tyres

Hot brake discs and pads radiate heat through the hub to the wheel rim and into the tyres.
This thread is closed

[OLD] Tyre Physics Progress Report
(4434 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG