The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
After reading that whole thing I sure hope he gets it right. Something I have always thought about iRacing since beta was that the tire model was lacking quite a bit. They have made adjustments to it here and there but none was really useful. If he can build up a new model that is more realistic then I might need to click the re-sub box in my account.
Quote from JeffR :Bias ply racing slicks are still in use today, mostly in lighter, non-downforce cars (for example Formula Fords). Link to Hoosiers road racing tires, click on the link, then click on specs, the bias ply racing slicks are shown in the first table, most of these use 13 inch wheels. Note the small number of radial racing tires in the following table for 13 inch wheel size. Also if you go back to the home rrtire.htm page, click on the 03-22-10 bulletin, "next generation" GT slicks, C4000s, which are bias ply racing slicks (16 inch wheels).

http://www.hoosiertire.com/rrtire.htm

Also, modern road racing radial slicks are increasingly forgiving in their design, more "bias ply" like than road racing radial slicks from 10 years ago.

Yes, that's fine I'm sure they make good training tires because they're forgiving and probably help you get used to that feeling of living on the limit. I still have no idea what your point is or was in bringing it up though?

Quote from Jertje :http://tomahawk.ytmnd.com/

Indeed that was the first thing I thought of, good call

Quote from Gnomie :
I really liked that Kaemmer's post actually. I think he really did a good job of conveying the message without dumbing it down so much that it just got trivial.

I agree. I know there's lots of folks who would've appreciated more detail though, yet the general masses of morons probably got sweaty reading it. I guess it was a good compromise. Very good read and good information in the post. Should've been supplemented with videos of Dave wrecking tires though!

I'm really looking foward to the physical model now. I had the impression it was going to be some sort of hybrid, but from what he said that doesn't appear to be the case. Should be an interesting year in sim racing if Scawen releases his as well.
It all sounds well and good until you realize he got the inventor of the pneumatic tyre wrong.
Quote from CSF :It all sounds well and good until you realize he got the inventor of the pneumatic tyre wrong.

enlighten me, i always thought it was dunlop who was the accepted inventor

anyway it'll be interesting if anyone ever gets tyre behaviour right, especially when it comes to heat buildup. foe example apparently both button and hamilton can overheat tyres but in different ways. one of them overheats the trye construction and the other overheats the tye compound's chemistry, can't remember which has which problem for certain but think it was that button overheats the construction due to his long smooth arcs style and hamilton the chemistry due to his more agressive short sharp movements, which is why button struggles on restarts sometimes as he's unable to keep the surface of the tyre up to working temperature. the probnelm they both have is finding a setup that allows them not to overheat the part of the tyre they strain but at the same time allows them to get the other up to temperature

i suspect the game pad support in iracing is because jaques villeneuve complained as he doesn't like driving with a wheel, which seems a bit of a problem for a real world racing driver
Quote from CSF :It all sounds well and good until you realize he got the inventor of the pneumatic tyre wrong.

Stephen Fry here is correct...Robert William Thomson is credited as having patented the pneumatic tyre about 30 years before Dunlop.
Quote from JeffR :Bias ply racing slicks are still in use today, mostly in lighter, non-downforce cars (for example Formula Fords). Link to Hoosiers road racing tires, click on the link, then click on specs, the bias ply racing slicks are shown in the first table ...
http://www.hoosiertire.com/rrtire.htm

Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Yes, that's fine I'm sure they make good training tires because they're forgiving and probably help you get used to that feeling of living on the limit. I still have no idea what your point is or was in bringing it up though?

I'm not sure why you think these are "training" tires, since they are used in many SCCA and NASA competitions, mostly lighter, non to moderate downforce cars as I mentioned before. Did you even look at the list of 13 inch wheel tires shown at Hoosier? There are only 4 radials listed, and over a dozen bias ply listed, for a variety of racing classes. Have you ever seen a SCCA DSR class type racing car, such as a Stohr WF-1 (these typically use 1 liter motorcyle engines)?

http://www.stohr.com/html/wf1.html

Or a F1000?

http://www.stohr.com/html/f1000.html
Quote from JeffR :I'm not sure why you think these are "training" tires, since they are used in many SCCA and NASA competitions, mostly lighter, non to moderate downforce cars as I mentioned before. Did you even look at the list of 13 inch wheel tires shown at Hoosier? There are only 4 radials listed, and over a dozen bias ply listed, for a variety of racing classes. Have you ever seen a SCCA DSR class type racing car, such as a Stohr WF-1 (these typically use 1 liter motorcyle engines)?

Or a F1000?

http://www.stohr.com/html/f1000.html

Those are very nice cars indeed - amateur racing cars
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :Stephen Fry here is correct...Robert William Thomson is credited as having patented the pneumatic tyre about 30 years before Dunlop.

Not that I'm from his birth place or anything...
Quote from JeffR :Have you ever seen a SCCA DSR class type racing car, such as a Stohr WF-1 (these typically use 1 liter motorcyle engines)?
Or a F1000?

Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Those are very nice cars indeed - amateur racing cars

Aren't the vast majority of racing cars amateur racing cars? Professional racing only makes up a relatively small percentage of SCCA, NASA, and all of the European club level racing events. Also, those DSR cars run around 2:10 lap times at Road America, faster than most of the cars included in Live For Speed's collection.

I was only trying to point out that there are modern bias ply slicks still in use in some racing classes today, including GT class cars in shorter distance races where the higher rate of wear on the bias play slicks isn't an issue. I think a SCCA GT1 class car would be considered a serious race car by most people that actually race.
i went mad last night and became a member of the 100% club, cant really work out why the hell i did as i never have time to race but what the hell it feels good , till the credit card statement comes (actually wasn't bad, 2 cars and a few ovals for aprox $87)
Someone help.

I'm gonna do this http://www.iracing.com/indy-500-2010/ but can't get the money on paypal in time . If anyone is willing to pay it and believe me that I will send it back asap, please check any of me contacts on profile page.
Well when you register to Paypal it will use the infos of your bank account so you dont need to put money on your Paypal acc

Let's talk in MSN or ICQ about this later, I'm sure I understood you right about that.
Quote from tinvek :i went mad last night and became a member of the 100% club, cant really work out why the hell i did as i never have time to race but what the hell it feels good , till the credit card statement comes (actually wasn't bad, 2 cars and a few ovals for aprox $87)

Mad is the word. You went 100% without good reason when the exchange rate sucks so bad??. Added to which in less than a months time you'll be joining the 97% club.
Have you got anything positive to say in this thread?

He's not mad. If he can afford it what business is it of yours?

At least from now on he'll get a 25% discount on everything..gotta be worth it if you're in it for the long run.
Quote from anttt69 :iRacings version of Brands is now having its building & objects added.

Quote from anttt69 :Zandy is next on the drawing board & they have mentioned the Aussie V8 & Philip island being early 2010 so it looks like Oulton will be Spring 2010ish.

Here's a pic for those on the outside.

Quote from anttt69 :there is the Dallara offer & if your lucky the radical promo might still be going.
check out the radical sportcars website

also: holiday promo code 3 months for $14 PR-HOLIDAY-09

Quote from anttt69 :gratz de-at-ch we'll get you next time.
Andy K, whos team are you on?

Yes , loads.
Well he publicly admitted to being a bit mad, so i agreed .
If he posts his spending decisions on a public forum what do you expect.

Chill out Moose your not on the endangered list yet.
I know what will cheer you up "i got slaughtered in the nkpro comp", although i did set some new pbs.
Quote from anttt69 :
Chill out Moose your not on the endangered list yet.
I know what will cheer you up "i got slaughtered in the nkpro comp", although i did set some new pbs.

nKPro comp? I know nothing about it ...well done on the PB's though Why you would think that you getting slaughtered in it would cheer me up though i have no idea.

Fair enough on the "you have said some positive things about iRacing" though .. All i noticed (here and in other forums..I've just been reading a thread at RD ) is you moaning about the price...constantly. The positive stuff must have got lost in the tide of negativity about money. Let it go

It's not even that expensive any more, and if you plan your purchases well you hardly notice it. Subscription prices are far better than when i first tried it a year ago, and whilst paying for your first full season can be a bit pricey, after that it's a pretty cheap hobby.

I can totally understand if you think it's not value for money for you, but stop banging on about it.
I've been racing my Jetta around a fair bit today, and it was great fun. Sebring is a super-challenging circuit with some very technical corners and some other shit-your-pants corners. One lap I'll enter the final curve perfectly, then on the next I'll slam into a tyre barrier. Gotta work on my consistency.

It's a shame it only runs four days a week, every 2 hours. But I can see why. In the four races I did today there were around 10-15 in the first three and two in the last one, which was a little disappointing.
LoL astra, nice one . The jetta is a fun drive, but I havent actually run any races with it. i havent raced in months 0_o
the main page says fr500s available for preorder along w/ mid-ohio, but i dont see them available for preorder...

Anyone know when we will actually be able to drive the mustang around mid ohio?

Its up now.
Quote from Gabkicks :
Anyone know when we will actually be able to drive the mustang around mid ohio?

after they're released

and lay off antt69, sure he bangs on about cost a bit but this isn't an i love iracing thread, most of the early posts in this thread (including mine) were very negative about the business plan. and as i said and antt69 stressed i must be mad buying stuff i don't need / won't need but it does give me a nice warm feeling, well i think it's the 100% thing but it could be that my bladder control's going with old age
kk, mustang and mid ohio are up for preorder now.
Quote :
iRacing.com’s star is definitely on the rise in the land of the rising sun. iRacing recently signed an agreement with the Okayama International Circuit that will see the former home of the Formula One Pacific Grand Prix join the growing number of international circuits available to our membership. And, thanks to some energetic web sites, many iRacers are now aware that we are already doing some preliminary work on the Mazda MX-5 in the hopes of introducing the popular two-seater later this year. (Although it should be noted that iRacing.com and Mazda have not, as yet, put pen to paper on a final agreement regarding the MX-5.)

The 2.3 mile, 11 turn Okayama International Circuit (formerly known as TI Circuit Aida) was the scene of the 1994 and ’95 F1 Pacific Grands Prix and, more recently, has played host to Formula V6 Asia, Super GT Championship International and World Touring Car Championship events. In addition to being one of the world’s most popular sports cars, the Mazda MX-5 is one of the world’s most raced sports cars and is a staple of the SCCA’s Pro Racing Playboy MX-5 Cup pro series as well as the Showroom Stock B amateur class.

“These two projects are just the first of many exciting developments associated with the Japanese motorsports scene actively being pursued by iRacing.com at the present time,” says Steve Myers, executive producer. iRacing.com. “In addition to the Okayama International Circuit, we are well on the way to adding a couple of additional major race facilities to our inventory, and we’re looking to bolster our selection of cars as well. We believe this will not only help iRacing.com grow its membership in Japan and throughout Asia, but it will bring exciting new features to the service for our existing membership. Speakin of which, our members will probably be excited to know that we've also just finished scanning Dale Earnhardt, Jr.'s street stock . . .”

and as said by Gabkicks

Quote :
Question - What do you get when you pre-order the Mustang FR500S and Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course?

Answer – You get an amazing sports car to race around one of North America’s premier racing facilities PLUS $6 bonus iRacing credits.

All you need to do to qualify for the iRacing credits is pre-purchase both the car and track before June 10th 00:01 GMT. We’ll send you a promo code later that week which you can redeem for a future purchase. Pretty easy.

And about Ant. We complain about LFS and this is LFSForum for crying out loud, so im sure we can complain about the money-hungry giant known as iRacing without starting more meaningless arguments.
Even though iRacing's pricing is getting more reasonable over time, I still have an issue with hourly races. I used to play NR2003, which was 2 races per hour, but stopped after a couple of months because it was consuming too much time. iRacing lowers this to 1 race per hour, which is something I'm just not interested in.

If they ever make a retail boxed version of the game, I'd be happy to buy that.
Quote from JeffR :NR2003, which was 2 races per hour.

I can only talk about the rookie classes, where the average race takes about 25-30 mins from practice start to the chequered flag.

There would be very little time to cool off between races, so little that when I hopped from the Solstice directly to the SRF race (exactly 30 mins between them when the planets line up), if the site was a bit slower than usual, I would miss the subscription window.

1 race every 45 minutes would be better, but ATM it bugs me more that some classes (like the SRF) only have races every TWO hours.
Quote from JeffR :Even though iRacing's pricing is getting more reasonable over time, I still have an issue with hourly races. I used to play NR2003, which was 2 races per hour, but stopped after a couple of months because it was consuming too much time. iRacing lowers this to 1 race per hour, which is something I'm just not interested in.

If they ever make a retail boxed version of the game, I'd be happy to buy that.

I don't understand... racing twice as often in NR2003 was too "time consuming", but racing half as often, which would consume far less time, is unappealing.

If you only want to compete in one series, then you just plan to race at a certain time and away you go. If you want more you can run another series or tweak your setup or run some laps with traffic in practice to be quicker. Not being able to just hit SHIFT R or just wait 5 minutes when it all goes south is what gives iRacing an atmosphere of competition.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :I don't understand... racing twice as often in NR2003 was too "time consuming", but racing half as often, which would consume far less time, is unappealing.

On a good day, it's ridiculously easy to say 'hey, the next race is ONLY half an hour away, might as well wait around for it'. And before you know it, 6 hours have passed and you've not done anything worthwhile other than increased your safety rating. At least, this is what has happened to me. It feels like you're tied to your computer. I think it's called addiction.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG