The online racing simulator
Quote from tristancliffe :So which of you wants to join me when I launch my new motorsport championship, at the international level, without anything to do with the FIA?

It could be called Formula Ace, and will have the loosest possible technical regulations (a state that will be written into the charter of the company) that allows technical freedom, innovation, cleverness, with the restraints and constraints required to provide good racing, vaguely sensible budgets (although I still think that if the sponsors WANT to pay £200m per year, who am I to stop them?), and a policeable, consistent set of rules.

There will be certain regulations to ensure compliance, which will include a spec datalogger system to monitor performance, and mobile dyno stations on which all engines must be run before they can be used. Results will be confidential, but will be used to ensure that nobody is "cheating". Power regulation will be via fuel flow rates, so that a certain amount of energy is allowed, per second, to reach the engine.

Over-body aerodynamics will be regulated to ensure that it provides a minority of the total grip, whilst still allowing the cars to be different and for shapes to evolve.
Ground effects will be allowed and, indeed, encouraged.
There will be no gimmicks - no push to pass, no KERS, no mandatory pitstops, no refuelling.
Races will be at least 300 miles.
Brake regulations will ensure a certain maximum performance, designed to increase braking distances. This may be by limiting the diameter of the discs, rather than the material, to encourage innovation whilst massively reducing the braking torque possible.

And so on and so forth...

I'm in. What needs to be done ?
Bloody massive decline IMO.
We will see Austrailia is a pretty good venue for F1, there has never been a 'classic' race at Bahrain so we will see now, if it sucks still, then we know for sure F1 is at it's demise.
F1 is a pretty good venue for F1 crashes, not races. We'll need to wait for Malaysia and China to decide whether the rules really suck or not. Hopefully, both races will be wet, and if there is no action even when wet, then we'll know there is no hope for F1 this season.
Got this quote from Martin Whitmarsh about having more overtaking:

"If you have a bunch of hooligans, put them in the cars making mistakes, you'll have a bit of a spectacle, but it's more like World Wrestling Federation"

Good point, but I thought they've long change their name to World Wrestling Entertainment~?
Quote from JCTK :Got this quote from Martin Whitmarsh about having more overtaking:

"If you have a bunch of hooligans, put them in the cars making mistakes, you'll have a bit of a spectacle, but it's more like World Wrestling Federation"

Good point, but I thought they've long change their name to World Wrestling Entertainment~?

he means when wrestling was wrestling and when men were men....

TNA ftw!
Quote from BreadC :he means when wrestling was wrestling and when men were men....

TNA ftw!

TNA is even worse than WWE.

Sorry, OT.
Quote from JCTK :Got this quote from Martin Whitmarsh about having more overtaking:

It's called GP2 and F2. Lots of 'excitement', but in an utterly crap way.
Quote from tristancliffe :It's called GP2 and F2. Lots of 'excitement', but in an utterly crap way.

You forgot F3.

I think F2 was quite good for its debut season. Apart from Henry's accident...
Not these days - F3 is so much about the aero, with boring engines*, that passing isn't actually that common. Although the range of talent is the same - good to rubbish.

*When F3 engines were less developed they were much better to watch**. Peaky engines make for much better racing engines in terms of spectacle. All race series should have peaky engines made mandatory. As soon as the torque curve is nice and flat and smooth then nobody makes mistakes and the good drivers can't capitalise, because they just floor it.

**Obviously the basic aerodynamics helped here too. I gather than the F310 Dallara is rubbish at following cars because of its reliance on clean air. Much like in F1.
Did anyone notice that teams are moaning less about technical solutions "against the spirit of the rules"? (F-duct, ride height adjustment).

It seems that the current attitude is: "Apparently this is allowed and we will put it on our car aswell" instead of: "That car is illegal and should be excluded".
Good.
Quote from Joris :Did anyone notice that teams are moaning less about technical solutions "against the spirit of the rules"? (F-duct, ride height adjustment).

It seems that the current attitude is: "Apparently this is allowed and we will put it on our car aswell" instead of: "That car is illegal and should be excluded".

Because that is the spirit of the sport~!!!
innovation defines F1.

without it, its not F1
Teams are discussing the return of KERS for 2011

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/82593

Also this:

Quote from Autosport :There is also a high chance that revisions to the cars already in the pipeline will help the situation further. Double diffusers have already been banned for 2011, which should cut downforce levels, while it is understood that the FIA is looking at increasing the diameter of F1's rear tyre rims to 18 inches for next year - up from the 13 inches of the current generation.

This will produce much more mechanical grip, which should be another factor in helping boost the racing spectacle.

There thinking of widening the rear tires which is good but make the fronts the same as before.

KERS i don't really like, its too artifical.
Quote from Mustafur :There thinking of widening the rear tires which is good but make the fronts the same as before.

KERS i don't really like, its too artifical.

Diameter isn't width yano
Yup, they want to pimp their rides by putting boy racer wheels on the cars... As if it'll help the racing. Wider tyres would be a far better use of the money.
Why do they keep pushing back the outboard mirror ban?

It's needed and everyone agrees, then say they can't modify their cars until Europe?

Whatever happened to spare parts?

LOL Tristan, well Ferrari have had rimzzzzz in the past....what's next, spinners?

Interesting, did Googling and found Bernie's tried to trademark Grand Prix (again)
Quote from tristancliffe :Yup, they want to pimp their rides by putting boy racer wheels on the cars... As if it'll help the racing. Wider tyres would be a far better use of the money.

Bigger wheel size will mean lower profile tyres as you know, and this is obviously what they are getting at..
Which won't help the racing. If anything they'll look worse because of the small brake discs. Or they then allow bigger discs, and then the brakes become too good, which hurts the racing, and the drivers will have to be even smoother than before (low profiles preferring smaller slip angles, generally), rather than allowing the cars to get out of shape (which is often a good way to improve racing).

I'm dead against it.
Quote from DieKolkrabe :Why do they keep pushing back the outboard mirror ban?

It's needed and everyone agrees, then say they can't modify their cars until Europe?

Whatever happened to spare parts?

LOL Tristan, well Ferrari have had rimzzzzz in the past....what's next, spinners?

Interesting, did Googling and found Bernie's tried to trademark Grand Prix (again)

I guess because the mirrors are now an "aerodynamic device", they couldn't modify it without serious implications for the aero of the car~?

And I guess it isn't as simple as cutting off the mirrors on the sidepot and sticking it back onto the chassis, where it should always have been.

On a side note, the way the hole was closed on the McLaren diffuser looked pretty crap and a very temporary fix~ lol

Formula One Season 2010
(1980 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG