Formula 1 Test Driver: Fairuz Fauzy

BMW Sauber F1*

Comfirmed:
Kamui Kobayashi
Pedro de la Rosa

Formula 1 Test Driver: TBA

* = TBA

Tracks:

Round 1: BAHRAIN GRAND PRIX (Sakhir)(14 March)
Round 2: AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX (Melbourne)(28 March)
Round 3: MALAYSIAN GRAND PRIX (Kuala Lumpur)(4 April)
Round 4: CHINESE GRAND PRIX (Shanghai)(18 April)
Round 5: PREMIO DE ESPANA 2010 (Catalunya)(9 May)
Round 6: GRAND PRIX DE MONACO 2010 (Monte Carlo)(16 May)
Round 7: TURKISH GRAND PRIX (Istanbul)(30 May)
Round 8: GRAND PRIX DU CANADA 2010 (Montreal)(13 June)
Round 9: GRAND PRIX OF EUROPE (Valencia)(27 June)
Round 10: BRITISH GRAND PRIX (Donington Park)(11 July)
Round 11: GROSSER PREIS VON DEUTSCHLAND 2010 (Hockenheim)(25 July)
Round 12: ING MAGYAR NAGYDIJ 2010 (Budapest)(1 August)
Round 13: BELGIAN GRAND PRIX (Spa-Francorchamps)(29 August)
Round 14: GRAN PREMIO D'ITALIA 2010 (Monza)(12 September)
Round 15: SINGAPORE GRAND PRIX (Singapore)(26 September)
Round 16: JAPANESE GRAND PRIX (Suzuka)(10 October)
Round 17: KOREAN GRAND PRIX (Korea)(24 October)
Round 18: ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX (Yas Marina Circuit)(7 November)
Round 19: GRANDE PREMIO DO BRASIL 2010 (Sao Paulo)(14 November)

2010 Rules update:

- Refuelling is to be abolished for the first time since 1993. As a consequence, the cars will be allowed to refuel after the third part of qualifying. The 2010 F1 cars should look a little more bloated in the tail end with the larger fuel tank fit between driver and engine. Despite the resolution over the budget cap meaning that the 2010 regulations would default back to the 2009 rules, FOTA have expressed interest in a refuelling ban as it represents a way to cut costs.

-More teams
Thirteen teams - 26 cars - will feature on the grid in 2010. This means a slight alteration to the knockout qualifying session, which will now see eight drivers (as opposed to five) eliminated in Q1 and Q2, leaving ten to fight it out for pole in Q3. The ban on refuelling means that cars will qualify on low fuel in all three phases of the session.

-Narrower front tyres
When slick tyres returned to Formula One racing in 2009, the tyre size remained unchanged. In terms of contact area, this meant that the fronts gained proportionally more grip than the rears. This has been addressed for 2010, with front tyre width reduced from 270mm to 245mm, thus helping to bring back a better grip balance. Also, the ban on refuelling means cars will be around 100kg heavier at the start of a race than in 2009, so Bridgestone will use slightly harder tyre compounds to compensate.

-Mandatory tire change with the double compound ruling.

-Wheel covers which have been used by the teams since 2006 are also set to be banned for 2010

-The minimum car weight will be increased from 605kg to 620kg (1,334 lbs to 1,367 lbs) to stop taller and heavier drivers being at a disadvantage if KERS is added to their car, which will still be allowed in 2010, despite FOTA's agreement not to use the system.

-FOTA has agreed to scrap KERS for 2010 due to poor uptake and pressure from FIA to cut costs, although KERS is not banned in the regulations.

-New Point system that which will award 25 points to each race winner, 20 for second place, 15 for third and 10 for fourth, before descending 8-6-5-3-2-1 for fifth through 10th positions.

-No wheel fairings
Teams are no longer allowed to use the wheel rim covers that became so commonplace in 2009. Their removal means one less thing to go wrong when pit crews are trying to change of set of tyres in less than four seconds, and could also aid overtaking by making the airflow immediately behind cars less turbulent

-Testing
If a team declares that one of their current race drivers is to be substituted by a driver who has not participated in an F1 race in the two previous calendar years, one day of track testing will now be permitted, on an approved circuit not being used for a Grand Prix in the current season. This is to avoid scenarios such as that seen in 2009 when Jaime Alguersuari made his Formula One debut with Toro Rosso having only previously driven an F1 car in straight-line testing.

In another minor change, teams will be allowed six rather than eight days of straight-line aero testing per season. They will also have the option of substituting any of these days for four hours of wind tunnel testing with a full-scale (rather than the normal 60 percent-scale) model

Rumours

- Toyota migth leave Formula one racing.
- Michael Schumacher finally doing a comeback! In the Mercedes team, alongside Nico Rosberg
- Pedro de la Rosa has a big chance to join Campos along side Bruno Senna
Comfirmed rumours

- Toyota to leave Formula one racing
- Raikkonen not racing in 2010, but maybe in 2011 if he has a good car
- Michael Schumacher did do a comeback and he is ready to drive for the Mercedes team, alongside Nico Rosberg.

These are the launch dates for the teams:

Ferrari: 28th January
McLaren: 29th January
Renault: 31st January
Sauber: 31 January
Toro Rosso: 1st February
Williams: 1st February
Mercedes GP: 1st February
Lotus: 12th February
No refueling!?

Really!?!?!?
Tyre change not only allowed, but mandatory with the double compound ruling.
you missed the narrower front tyres, which really pisses me off because they should be making the car goes faster instead of slower.
It's just his opinion - he starts the list with "possible"
Quote from tristancliffe :It's just his opinion - he starts the list with "possible"

For some reason I thought that the word "possible" was refeering to some rumours, not to Arox's imagination

Seriously, even if I'm sure that a new team such as Campos is in touch with a lot of drivers, I'd really doubt that Kovalainen is their first priority. And TBH I'm quite surprised to see that Alguersari isn't even listed there.
I'm really looking forward to next season. Finally so many great drivers will have great cars as they all have well deserved them.

Alonso, Massa, Hamilton, Raikkonen, Rosberg and Button all in competitive cars sounds awesome, plus Barrichello and Hulkemberg probably there with them, maybe not battling for victory but there and Kobayashi also interupting them, oh God I hope so, give us more of Kobayashi awesomeness
Too bad about Kubica and Heidfeld, I hope Renault gives them decent car next year.

For rest of the pack, I don't know. I don't really like that there are 14 teams to race. 10 is just enough, 11 perfect if you ask me...

Narrower front tires, that sounds like lot of fun to me.
Yup the narrower tyres will reduce the natural oversteer of the car, reduce drag and allow the aerodynamics to be exploited more.

What this means is that the racing will become worse. Not better. Worse.

If Bridgestone had an ounce of a brain, they'd fit wider rears to balance the cars, reducing the aero efficiciency of the cars and increasing drag. Or leave them as they are perhaps. But no, we get a stupid change because "we already have the moulds for the narrower tyres".
#10 - JJ72
Bring Sato back, that's all I want.
Quote from AroX123 :
Round 10: BRITISH GRAND PRIX (Donington Park)

Not Donnington... The venue is unconfirmed.

Also... No Round 3?
Toyota may not even be there next season.
Was there really a need for this thread?

We got F1 discussion thread. 2010 is still miles away. We only just closed down 2009 season....
Quote from aroX123 :-Narrower front tyres

Who the hell thought this was a good idea :doh:

EDIT: I see we already discussed this - my bad :S
Any news about the length of the races? Will we stay with the 300km rule?
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :Any news about the length of the races? Will we stay with the 300km rule?

that rule has been there for quite awhile.
Quote from Mustafur :that rule has been there for quite awhile.

Sure. But what will they do now after they banned refuelling? Larger tanks, or shorter races?
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :Sure. But what will they do now after they banned refuelling? Larger tanks, or shorter races?

Quote from aroX123 :- Refuelling is to be abolished for the first time since 1993. As a consequence, the cars will be allowed to refuel after the third part of qualifying. The 2010 F1 cars should look a little more bloated in the tail end with the larger fuel tank fit between driver and engine. Despite the resolution over the budget cap meaning that the 2010 regulations would default back to the 2009 rules, FOTA have expressed interest in a refuelling ban as it represents a way to cut costs.

Rumour is that Glock is going to Renault.
-
(hyntty) DELETED by hyntty : for tw@tko's post count
Quote from hyntty :But of cource. Banning refueling will definately reduce costs since... (?) Err how do the costs reduce again?

By not having to transport bits of refuelling stuff across the globe.
#21 - 5haz
Theres all kind of odd talk going on that Mclaren are going to split from Mercedes and go it alone, with their own engines. It may have something to do with Mclaren launching its new supercar into Merc's market (with a Mclaren badged engine) which may have upset them.

There is also talk of Mercedes buying a majority stake in Brawn, with it obviously becoming the Mercedes factory team. Obviously Brawn are tiny and less ambitious compared to Mclaren, easier to control for Mercedes perhaps?

Everyone involved is denying it, and I think its unlikely seeing as the potential deal for Mercedes getting out of the contract sounds ridiculous, but anything can happen.

All very interesting stuff

In my opinion I think this would be a mistake, to lose probrably the best engine deal on the grid and start it virtually from scratch, although if Mclaren could pull it off they could grow into an independant car manufacturing powerhouse like Ferrari.

So could we be seeing orange Mclarens and silver Brawns next year? :mischievo
Would love to see McLaren use their Orange pain again, love that colour. Shame we only see it in testing these days, HERES TO THE ORANSJE!
*sigh* very bad news for Kobayashi...(*cough*NASCAR!!!!*cough*)

In all seriousness I do hope that someone does pick up Kobayashi, I'd rather see him than Sato and it would be quite the shame if he never sees an F1 car again

Formula One Season 2010
(1980 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG