The online racing simulator
First I want to thank you for your floor materials Ian, one of which I am using above. Big thanks there.

I’m new to 3ds and just learning my way around. I do know Poser a good bit better. The above render was a lot easier than it looks. First render car in 3ds – save and import as background in Poser. Post work in PS. (yea, I know, kinda cheap……but I like the results)

Being new to Poser, try this skin pack. Skin no.2 has tan line and added detail by um….. me.

Brings new meaning to the term "skinner"
Ah cool, didn't even realise it was the floor material I did LOL but glad people find them useful.. quite cool what happens sometimes when you just start messing with values randomly

lol thanks for the skins.. will definitely try these out.. are they for any particular Poser version / model? I have Poser5 installed atm.

Poser and Bryce were actually my first ever steps into the 3D world and the best image I produced back then was the kiss as a combination of importing poser models into bryce but I never really got too involved. I did a few experiments but it's only in the last 12 months that I really got into this 3D stuff properly with an aim to actually learn what I'm doing (some of my early attempts posted on the LFS forum at RSC are hideous! ). I like a challenge and this certainly is.. 3DS itself moreso.. the rest is just practice IMO.

I've got a tute somewhere too that explains how to model clothing for poser models which I plan to look into sometime too and create other props (furniture, buildings etc.. but all in the future sometime).

Might have to pick your brains sometime about poser stuff

Back onto an LFS render topic.. here's another scene that'll be released soon. Was hoping to have it done by now but had other things to address in the real world.

Will probably end up modeling new tyres (proper 3D ones) as the turbosmooth I applied to the wheels trashed the tread mapping.

Regards,

Ian
Ian, the skins are for V3 and will work fine in Poser 5. I will be glad to help anyway I can.

BTW,…..There are a few of anxiously awaiting your most excellent scene……
Sweet! ty sir

I'll get the scene sorted hopefully soon. This side doesn't look too bad, the other side's a bit of a mess as it's all using a single smoothing group now for the entire model, but getting there.. lots of fiddly / small polys on this to sort out and the likes of the T-cam have vertices that needed breaking, polys hidden, vertices re-welded.. polys unhiden yada yada to get smoothing nice for 3 directions

Regards,

Ian
:ices_rofl thats why i havent messed with the BF1 for more than 5 minutes lol, once i loaded it into 3dsmax first things that came to mind was..
sh********t...
lol, its actually quite a mess tbh

sorry, thats just my style since i.. guess i can be considered a 3d modeler now, messy.. is never good
heh, it wasn't too bad I didn't think really, but I selected all polys and slapped them in the same group and now splitting vertices for definition. Decided a while ago if it was gonna be done, to do it properly but naturally it's no 5 min job (did the same for the XRT.. took about 3 days to get sorted nicely.. door seams are a PITA! and interior still needs finishing but was worth it

The front and rear wings are also sorted on the BF1.. mainly the undertray sections, engine area and right side that need finishing and a couple of bits on the flappy bit sending air over the rear wheels oh and the bit on the top of the nose section currently causing a horrible shadow

In regards to the XRT alley scene, there's not as much in the scene as I thought and defnitely open to improving.. but here's a screen of how things are setup in that

Regards,

Ian
Ian,

To make all poly to same smooth group sometimes will have a too rounded effect. it may be better to adjust the spinner next to auto smooth to get the smooth blending you want (as jpg attached) The number is the degree angle between 2 faces that will blend.

I think you can try checking the sort by material in Turbosmooth/meshsmooth to avoid the material mapping screwed up. (see attached jpg), I agree the LFS default tyres are too angular, need to do something if you are going to render a high res image, you don't want it to spoil your wonderful image
Attached images
autosmooth.jpg
meshsmooth.jpg
Hi samy..

Yeah, dropping it all into the same smoothing group made it bubbly and everything tries to smooth itself but I'm then selecting x number of polys at a time where required and detaching them as elements (front wing is probably the easiest to see results in that small pic). There's actually another reason I've done it this way too, but that's for another time

As it happens, the XRT in the 3 pics above (the blizzard racing skin and the dark alley scene) has been done the same way. I slammed all the polys under group 1 and then went around the car defining the areas that needed doing. This was done originally as that's what I needed to convert the car for another game (where smoothing groups are ignored) but turned out that it rendered really sweet too

Thanks for the tip on the mesh / turbo smooth and materials. There's a few strange things with the wheels.. the sidewall logo appears to be polys overlayed on the existing tyre but vertices welded in a weird fashion. I had to hide the polys for the branding then break vertices on the tyre, delete some polys and then reweld the branding on the side. I couldn't weld the vertices without removing the polys as they were overlapping and 3DS wouldn't have it (gotta love those damn hidden polys / vertices that cause welding problems! ). I also attached the wheel centres to the rim / tyre to create a single object.. bad move! it trashed the mapping completely losing the mapping coords so guessing there's some polys on there that perhaps haven't been mapped at all? The tyres themself are fine for games.. but not the best for rendering naturally.

Will be looking at that turbo / mesh smoothing stuff.. sounds like it could be very useful for times like this

Regards,

Ian
To bring this thread back to life, here's a render
Attached images
LX4_TEEESSARR.jpg
Quote from Ian.H :...the sidewall logo appears to be polys overlayed on the existing tyre but vertices welded in a weird fashion. I had to hide the polys for the branding then break vertices on the tyre, delete some polys and then reweld the branding on the side. I couldn't weld the vertices without removing the polys as they were overlapping and 3DS wouldn't have it (gotta love those damn hidden polys / vertices that cause welding problems! ). I also attached the wheel centres to the rim / tyre to create a single object.. bad move! it trashed the mapping completely losing the mapping coords....
Ian

Ian, I haven't look into the LFS model that much, but from what you describe, the branding could be a seperate element to the tyre, easy way to find out is go to sub-object modifier, choose element and click on the branding, if only the branding's ploys highlighted, the branding and tyre are two elements with in the same object which means their vertices are not welded together, which you can detach the branding element from the tyre.
You can change the preference to show 2 sided, which the reversed normal polys (back face) will be drawn as well, but it could be even more confusing to view.
By attaching other objects to become a single object shouldn't have trash the mapping coords, when you attaching objects with different mapping coords, it usually prompt with an option panel for you to choose what you want to do with the mapping coords for the object. I can't remember which one I normally picked, but I didn't have any problems with mapping coords. The other altenative you can do is group the objects, this way you don't have to worry about the mapping coords being messed up.
You may know all this already, that is just my thoughts.

regards
uvw map using cylindrical

kinda annoying and unusual eric made them seperate though.. but since i dont know much about game modeling i guess there is little i can say
Yeah, it looks like the branding was probably a clone of a selection of tyre polys and then assigned a new material. Problem was it only seemed to be half connected at one edge, but wouldn't weld as it had seemed to have been "concertinad" and then pressed against the tyre. This may well simply be a downfall to the importer rather than something Eric did originally. We all know 3DS doesn't run the same on 2 identical computers or even handle it's own 3DS format very well at times so who knows, heh.

The BF1 wheels are weird for mapping once imported in regards to coords. I converted it the day the CMX viewer was released out of curiousity (didn't look pretty but spent about 15 mins only). I needed to remove the camber from the wheels but also attach the centres to the rims.. maybe it wasn't the attaching that screwed it. I attached.. and as soon as I rotated the wheel to remove the camber.. BANG! mapping coords were royally screwed. Maybe it was something I did, but haven't had this problem with any other models I've worked on.. some of which have been quite extensive of sorts. When I convert this model properly, I'll need the wheels as a single mesh (for each one) rather than split which was my main reason for going that route. All my released scenes on dS Autos either have grouped objects as you suggest or just left as-is.

I'll probably be modeling some new wheels for it anyway with 3D tyre tread etc for renders and the scene I'm working on to release. I'll map these as I do normally with cylindrical mapping (TextureLayers2 is sweet never used the built-in uvmap modifier). This works out better IMO anyway as you can map the entire sidewall and also circular so can "easily" add photos of sidewalls for textures too (as per my recent XRT renders).

All fun and games and I normally end up learning something new in the process.. would be boring if they imported pefect with nothing to do. Working with these models in one way or another has taught me a lot about 3DS through experimentation and the likes

Regards,

Ian
Quote from Ryanry64 :To bring this thread back to life, here's a render

woot! That's looking good Ryan! things are definitely getting better

Regards,

Ian
Hello.

Its my first render post here. I learned a lot with your threads and tryed to do my best to use it in 3DSmax
Dont hesitate to give me some advice, im new in 3D, and i ll try to be a good student
Continue with your threads its really good

FZR with TBF skin team -->

ps: sorry for my bad english
not bad man.. its nice
Quote from steeflawson :FZR with TBF skin team -->

Can you render it bit wider? Right now not all car is showed.
Quote from MorroW :

Can you render it bit wider? Right now not all car is showed.

Thank you

You mean i made the car too small ? ( its cut on the right )
Sure i can make it smaller, i just thought it ll make more real like that
( like photograph litle drunk )
Ill try to make it like that to see and maybe change HDRI too.

Thank for advices
Car size seems to be ok, but I ment picture width...left side is ok,
car body ends before picture itself. But in right it's like cropped,
not all car body is showed.
I like it like that - looks a bit like a quickly taken photograph where composing the shot wasn't possible.
Quote from MorroW :Car size seems to be ok, but I ment picture width...left side is ok,
car body ends before picture itself. But in right it's like cropped,
not all car body is showed.

Ok i understand all now

I made smaller one not cropped with another HDRI, i ll try to post this evening.
And thnx again for help

Thnx too Tristan, its what i wanted to do first, picture made very quickly but when i look at it again, it seems strange to be cropped like that

Sorry for my bad English

Here is the new one. Its better ??? if not i ll try again

Were do you find these human-figures for rendering `?
Do you build them your self, or are they to be found some where ?

They look great...
Just a test render, tried to get good lighting...nothing done in photoshop
Attached images
Test.jpg
Hi guys, havent shown anything for a while.

Some really cool stuff has appeared since I was last here.

I guess I better show something, and give a little plug to the AAL and their upcoming gtr series while I am at it. Hope you like.
Attached images
new poster copy.jpg

3D LFS renders
(8243 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG