The online racing simulator
I would do all of it.

Get the gears down, drive into a gravel trap and get the car sideways.

On a wide open race track you should be able to find some open area where you can gradually slow down, or use the gravel trap when needed.

Gearing down is an option, but it would be stupid if you cause more damage to the tranny than actually hitting things.
Quote from JJ72 :On a wide open race track you should be able to find some open area where you can gradually slow down, or use the gravel trap when needed.

Gearing down is an option, but it would be stupid if you cause more damage to the tranny than actually hitting things.

I dont think you would be thinking about the damage to the car when you are trying to save your own life...
Quote from DevilDare :I dont think you would be thinking about the damage to the car when you are trying to save your own life...

But not having brake isn't usually a fatal failure, even on public roads.

on a race track most of the time you can gently roll to a halt, unless you are so unfortunate to be in one of the main braking areas - then whatever you do is helpless.
Quote from DevilDare :[...]I fear it so much, I am asking to get cremated.

Which will lead you to your 1st fear you mentioned: Burning alive
Uhm - I am dead. I cant feel anything.
Quote from DevilDare :Uhm - I am dead. I cant feel anything.

then why the fear of being buried...?
I told you. Dont ask.

I wish I knew.....
What happens if you wake up in the coffin, just as it's entering the incineration chamber?
Quote from tristancliffe :What happens if you wake up in the coffin, just as it's entering the incineration chamber?

Then you're screwed.

I'm always wondering how it is to flip a car. Now that i'm also going to to some sort of racing it might happen
Very difficult unless you have a big collision, or dig into soft ground sideways (usually)
Quote from JJ72 :

on a race track most of the time you can gently roll to a halt, unless you are so unfortunate to be in one of the main braking areas - then whatever you do is helpless.

Surely that is when you first realise brake failure occurs - when you actually go to use them for a stop but nothing's there? If it happened to me in the MR2 I'd like to think I'd yank the handbrake, change down a couple of gears and aim for something soft (tyre wall over armco) but if it actually happened, I guess it comes down to reflexes and how rational you can be in a situation like that. This is why I absolutely admire the driver in this next clip - he suffered brake failure at one of the worst possible times yet managed to react in such a way which undoubtedly saved the lives of some spectators.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_0T_1QCcVA
Stunning reflexes! He didn't have time to be terrified, he just carried on controlling the car in a rational way. Very impressive!
Impressive stuff!
Quote from tristancliffe :Stunning reflexes! He didn't have time to be terrified, he just carried on controlling the car in a rational way. Very impressive!

When something like that happens though that is what your brain does automatically, everything goes into ultra slow motion and you react calmly and rationally, it's only afterwards you go sh!t that was close

I've had several similar incidents with live stock and wild life at various points in my life, the worst was coming around a bend at 3am in the morning at 130+ km/h in a remote section of highway which passes through cattle station country in a suziki vitara to find a dozen cows asleep on the road and off to the verge. I had no time to come to a stop and decided instantly that there might be just enough room to weave through them and that skidding might make them startle and move so I didn't jump on the anchors and instead weaved my way through them. There was no time for panic until after it was all over, the human mind has a powerful survival mechanism kick in under such circumstances
The spectators know the risk. Why stand on the outside of a fast corner if you aren't prepared to be hit? Why should he have to stop because spectators choose to stand in the 'run off' area. Should he stop if he hits other animals?
Quote from tristancliffe :The spectators know the risk. Why stand on the outside of a fast corner if you aren't prepared to be hit? Why should he have to stop because spectators choose to stand in the 'run off' area. Should he stop if he hits other animals?

Fully agree.
Quote from tristancliffe :The spectators know the risk. Why stand on the outside of a fast corner if you aren't prepared to be hit? Why should he have to stop because spectators choose to stand in the 'run off' area. Should he stop if he hits other animals?

Not everyone understands that a car can basically go pretty much anywhere. Whether it's obvious or not that you're in a dangerous spot, you can be hit pretty much anywhere you stand. I always think, those spectators wouldn't stand on the sides of that 100mph straight (in "safety") if they could see how much steering input the driver was making just to keep it in a straight line. If a driver lost it on a bump and ploughed through a line of people at 100mph, would you say the same thing?

The stupid thing about this guy is that he knows he's hit a load of people at some speed, so the stage is going to be cancelled whilst medical assistance arrives. Whether he could help them at all or not, there's no point in him continuing. He's running away like a coward. "Out of sight, out of mind".
Quote from sinbad :Not everyone understands that a car can basically go pretty much anywhere. Whether it's obvious or not that you're in a dangerous spot, you can be hit pretty much anywhere you stand. I always think, those spectators wouldn't stand on the sides of that 100mph straight (in "safety") if they could see how much steering input the driver was making just to keep it in a straight line. If a driver lost it on a bump and ploughed through a line of people at 100mph, would you say the same thing?

The stupid thing about this guy is that he knows he's hit a load of people at some speed, so the stage is going to be cancelled whilst medical assistance arrives. Whether he could help them at all or not, there's no point in him continuing. He's running away like a coward. "Out of sight, out of mind".

There should be marshalls telling people to get back. Whilst what the driver did maybe is not really morally correct you can't blame him, though he did make a mistake, and if he hadn't I guess there wouldn't of been that situation.
Quote from BlueFlame :There should be marshalls telling people to get back. Whilst what the driver did maybe is not really morally correct you can't blame him, though he did make a mistake, and if he hadn't I guess there wouldn't of been that situation.

There should be marshalls, but whether there are or not in this instance, does it really make a difference?

Can the driver really just think to himself, "bah, they shouldn't have been stood where I was going to crash" (if he can, then every single rally driver that ever hits a person can think the same thing), and trundle away without a care in the world? Sorry, but he knows he's hit a bunch of people, he's clearly a tosser.
Quote from tristancliffe :Stunning reflexes! He didn't have time to be terrified, he just carried on controlling the car in a rational way. Very impressive!

Yeah. I wish all people could react like him. Because few months ago I heard on the news that Lexus did some faulty driverside car carpets, so throttle pedal coul stuck behind them. So 911 in USA received a call from a person whose pedal was stuck and later he crashed at 190km/h (about 120mph). Sadly there was many ways to stop the car if he could react like that rally driver, not just panic.

Racing videos
(4785 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG