The online racing simulator
Let's stand right next to the road because rally cars come to an instant stop off it. Clearly a retard check, and I see nothing wrong with. Don't want to get hit? Stand further away. Can't see shit? Watch it on TV. Tbh, the spectators that got hit should be given a right bollocking after. The driver must have felt pretty darn shit, regardless of whose fault it was and whether he got out of the car or not.
Similar thing happened earlier this year in Lithuania during a drifting championship session.

The guy lost it and plowed into a crowd of spectators.

WARNING. Some might find this ... , watch at your own risk.

Again - The spectators were standing way too close to the track. Yes the safety is poor, yes there could of been a few barriers here and there, but at the end of the day, if the people were standing a little further back, all of that wouldnt of happened.
Event organisers need to be held to a higher account than the drivers imo.
Quote from Minimaxman :Surely that is when you first realise brake failure occurs - when you actually go to use them for a stop but nothing's there? If it happened to me in the MR2 I'd like to think I'd yank the handbrake, change down a couple of gears and aim for something soft (tyre wall over armco) but if it actually happened, I guess it comes down to reflexes and how rational you can be in a situation like that. This is why I absolutely admire the driver in this next clip - he suffered brake failure at one of the worst possible times yet managed to react in such a way which undoubtedly saved the lives of some spectators.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_0T_1QCcVA

Very impressive driving.
Spectators are responsible for their own safety. If they get hit, it's their fault IMO
Weird things happen in racing crashes. Sometimes spectator injury is due to idiocy, other times there could have been better marshaling/track safety. You can't judge all incidents where spectators are involved the same way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb7yowLcKag
Quote from legoflamb :Weird things happen in racing crashes. Sometimes spectator injury is due to idiocy, other times there could have been better marshaling/track safety. You can't judge all incidents where spectators are involved the same way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb7yowLcKag

For what it's worth, this is Wilco Zeelenberg crashing in practice for the 1990 Yugoslavian 250cc GP. He and the spectator were both fine, but the track this happened on (Rijeka) didn't hold another World Championship race.
Quote from Falcon140 :Spectators are responsible for their own safety. If they get hit, it's their fault IMO

I'm not disagreeing with that sentiment completely, although like I said before, not everyone is aware that a rally car can crash pretty much anywhere.

Whatever the iq of the victims, it doesn't change the fact that if you clatter into a crowd of spectators at 70mph, 100mph, 130mph, you shouldn't drive on.

A: There's no point, the stage will be stopped/cancelled, (if there's no marshall doing that, you should do be calling for medical assistance (ambulances) yourself),

B: You may be competing in an organised rally, but you were driving the car, your mistake has hurt them. Only a coward or completely self-absorbed tool would want to drive away without first finding out if they're okay and what you could do to help them.
"Despite the organisers taking all reasonable precautions unavoidable accidents can happen. In respect of these you are present at your own risk."

Quote from sinbad :Whatever the iq of the victims, it doesn't change the fact that if you clatter into a crowd of spectators at 70mph, 100mph, 130mph, you shouldn't drive on.

Especially seeing as its against the law!
Quote from 5haz :Especially seeing as its against the law!

Is it really against the law? In what countries? Also, if you're involved in a collision and you fear that you may be assaulted or killed by spectators, bystanders or other drivers wouldn't you be within your rights to drive to the nearest police station and report rather than remain at the scene (obviously I'm talking generally about this point rather than on a rally stage).
Quote from amp88 :Is it really against the law? In what countries? Also, if you're involved in a collision and you fear that you may be assaulted or killed by spectators, bystanders or other drivers wouldn't you be within your rights to drive to the nearest police station and report rather than remain at the scene (obviously I'm talking generally about this point rather than on a rally stage).

What about the term 'hit and run'? As far as I know its pretty frowned upon by those in law enforcement circles.

Isn't it just morally wrong anyway? Surely if you'd just accidentally mamed someone, running away would seem a quite awful thing to do to me.
Quote from 5haz :What about the term 'hit and run'? As far as I know its pretty frowned upon by those in law enforcement circles.

Is it still a hit and run if it happens during a rally? If you don't know don't say it's illegal. For the real life scenario (e.g. if it happens on the street) do you know it's illegal to leave the scene if you have reason to believe you are in danger and you immediately report to the nearest police station?
Quote from amp88 :Is it still a hit and run if it happens during a rally? If you don't know don't say it's illegal. For the real life scenario (e.g. if it happens on the street) do you know it's illegal to leave the scene if you have reason to believe you are in danger and you immediately report to the nearest police station?

Well seeing as rallies are often run on public roads (at least in this country), I would imagine that these kind of things apply.
Quote from 5haz :Well seeing as rallies are often run on public roads (at least in this country), I would imagine that these kind of things apply.

u still get a ticket to the rally i presume (never been to one) and on the back of that like any motorsport event it will tell you you are there at your own risk and that any accidents that happen aren't the responsibility of the organisers or sumn like that.
Quote from sinbad :I'm not disagreeing with that sentiment completely, although like I said before, not everyone is aware that a rally car can crash pretty much anywhere.

Whatever the iq of the victims, it doesn't change the fact that if you clatter into a crowd of spectators at 70mph, 100mph, 130mph, you shouldn't drive on.

A: There's no point, the stage will be stopped/cancelled, (if there's no marshall doing that, you should do be calling for medical assistance (ambulances) yourself),

B: You may be competing in an organised rally, but you were driving the car, your mistake has hurt them. Only a coward or completely self-absorbed tool would want to drive away without first finding out if they're okay and what you could do to help them.

I'm not talking about driving away being right or wrong, which it is very wrong, I'm talking about the stupidity of the spectators for standing there. It's like standing too close to a shooting range and being upset when you get shot.
I think some people are missing the point when they say it's the spectator's fault, or questioning why the driver should stop, etc.

It's not a matter of whose fault it is. It's a matter of whether a person has a moral or ethical obligation to render assistance when another is injured as a consequence of what the first person was doing -- regardless of whose fault it is.

Consider this scenario: a group of construction workers are working on the side of a road; they have set up all reasonable precautions to make the worksite as safe as possible for passing traffic. A car ploughs into the worksite, smashes into a pole and the occupants are seriously hurt. Should the construction workers render aid to the occupants of the vehicle, even though they had taken all reasonable precautions for traffic safety? Imagine if you are a family member or loved one of the occupants of the vehicle. If you found out that the construction workers merely continued their work without attending to the plight of the injured, what would you think?

Speaking only for myself, I think it's a terrible demonstration of how selfish and heartless we have become as a society if we know that people in our immediate vicinity are serious hurt or in imminent danger of death, that we are able to provide some kind of assistance for them, yet choose to do nothing.
Quote from samjh :Speaking only for myself, I think it's a terrible demonstration of how selfish and heartless we have become as a society if we know that people in our immediate vicinity are serious hurt or in imminent danger of death, that we are able to provide some kind of assistance for them, yet choose to do nothing.

Not really following you here. To think that a rally driver who is pumped up from pushing to the limit, with little or no first aid or paramedic training should jump out and try to lend a hand to marshals who are there (and are trained to look after people who are injured) is a bit silly, IMO. What I said was that I didn't think he was under an obligation to stop and help. If he did there's a good chance he would have been of no help (or even been detrimental to the health of injured spectators) or he could have been a target for spectators who are in a rage after seeing their son/daughter/wife etc injured by the car.

On the subject of leaving the scene in 'real life' I was only talking about where there was a threat to my safety. If I knocked a kid over and his/her father ran over to my car and was beating the window to try and get me out of the car to attack me I wouldn't exactly jump out to be beaten, would I? I would drive to the nearest police station and report it.
Even if you can't provide any medical assistance, it still just seems wierd to run away. Its hard to imagine what you would do unless you are put in the situation, I would bet most of you wouldn't feel like driving anywhere after it had happened, personally I'd be in too much shock to move anywhere.
Some autograss racing, in car footage.

Bike engined class 7s...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sQMjVLJGmI&fmt=18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpmrzSOOnRQ&fmt=18

Ever wondered what happens when you put a highly tuned V8 in a mini? This is what happens!

*Sound is VERY loud on these ones!*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nLYbDeXVD8&fmt=18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQJaK7PaSRE&fmt=18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikDyQOBSYvY&fmt=18

And this is what happens when you have TOO much power!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A60foAe65SM&fmt=18
Crazy.

Racing videos
(4786 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG