The online racing simulator
Quote from SamH :Road cars don't have shift lights, so it makes sense to remove it.

It does take a certain level of skill to know when to change gear, I agree with you. And that is why I think the light shouldn't be there. When you have a light telling you when to change gear, who needs to acquire that skill?

Quote from morpha :Those who don't know will have to learn the old-fashioned way, by experimenting
All the road cars have pretty user-friendly torque curves, the GTRs will probably keep the shift light and the single seaters are pretty self explanatory.

Because you are removing something for the new ppl that is important, is like someon remove the "training wheels" of your bike when you dont know how to ride it without that...

But is my pov nothing more
Enabling the "forces view" (f) while in "shift-u", causes the screen to go bananas.
Quote from Scawen :not making every light option that we don't even need yet.

I love these hiden informations in Scawen's posts :P

Rotate flickering bug happens to me as well.
Is there a specific car that screen bug happens with? I can't get it to occur..

Vista Ultimate 32bit
XFX 8800GT Alpha Dog
1920x1080 @ 60hz
all settings in LFS maxxed, vsync off
Quote from senn :Is there a specific car that screen bug happens with? I can't get it to occur..

Vista Ultimate 32bit
XFX 8800GT Alpha Dog
1920x1080 @ 60hz
all settings in LFS maxxed, vsync off

Are you achieving a framerate higher than 100 fps? Did you roll the camera enough for the effect to be noticable?

@Not Sure: I can't confirm that, forces view works fine for me.
Hey Scawen tried it on Windows 7 Release Candidate, and it worked fine
Thanks.

Will try it on Windows XP Pro when I come back home!
I get the same result in Shift+U mode
(flickering when rolling the camera + during zooming in/out)
Nvidia FX770 (512MB, screen 1440x900@60Hz)
Intel core 2 duo T9600 @ 2.8 GHz, 4GB ram

Flickering stops when I cap FPS (62 FPS)
Nothing in Forces view.
Quote from Scawen :It's because my priority is the physics, not making every light option that we don't even need yet.

, yet. Awesome.
Quote from SamH :Road cars don't have shift lights, so it makes sense to remove it.

Sure about that?

My humble standard 5yr old RX8 has one
It goes 'beep' as well in case the light isn't enough

Still agree that they are not required on road cars.

All good stuff Scavier, my breath becomes more bated every day....
Quote from Inouva :Because you are removing something for the new ppl that is important, is like someon remove the "training wheels" of your bike when you dont know how to ride it without that...

But is my pov nothing more

I learned to ride on a simple bike.

Shift light isn't really important, you shift up when the rev runs out, it's not complicated.
Quote from AjRose :Hey Scawen, Have you thought about making the screen angle adjustable in game.

I asked the same in Z16 and for me it would be a great option! I hope it's simple to add. What is the angle now? 45? I'm using even less than 30, because the distance to my monitors is about 1 meter. I think I need only 20 degrees or so. Moving the screns to 45 degrees is not an option... Right now I drive without left/right enabled, so I'm on the old 3 screen setup..
why my post is deleted?
Thanks all for the SHIFT+U flicker bug diagnosis. Should be easy to fix.

Quote from Not Sure :Enabling the "forces view" (f) while in "shift-u", causes the screen to go bananas.

I think that is probably because from where you were looking, when you were drawing all the cars, your frame rate was below 100 fps. Then when you pressed F there was less to draw so the frame rate went above 100 fps.

So I think it's just the same bug where SHIFT+U mode goes crazy if the FPS is above 100 and LFS is not paused.
Quote from Scawen :Thanks all for the SHIFT+U flicker bug diagnosis. Should be easy to fix.

I think that is probably because from where you were looking, when you were drawing all the cars, your frame rate was below 100 fps. Then when you pressed F there was less to draw so the frame rate went above 100 fps.

So I think it's just the same bug where SHIFT+U mode goes crazy if the FPS is above 100 and LFS is not paused.

The bug visible _before_ I pressed F, so it's not that simple.

Now that i think about it, it makes sense. Enabling the forces view just made fps go higher -> more visible flickering.

So, not a bug, sorry
Thank you very much for the hard work to release patch 16/17!

However I have to say that I am kind of "addicted" to the shift light - but it is much harder to see than the old one. So I would suggest to make it a bit brighter or - would be my favourite - to add a shift beep (with a turn on/off option in sound menu of course).

Second thing is the pit speed limit shown with the direction arrow... Well all tracks have a speed limit of 80km/h... So why to show it?

Or does this mean Rockingham will have another speed limit in the pits than the other tracks?

Or do we get an option to choose custom speed limits in further versions - which would be much appreciated esp. in Kyoto and Westhill?
even though it seems you know already, just confirmed it, forces view in Shift U with Camera Rotation causes screen flicker.

XFX nvidia 8800GT Alpha
Windows vista Ultimate 32 bit
Enable VSync. 60 fps with VSync look better and smoother than 9001 fps without VSync.
Hi Scawen,

First I'd like to congratulate you for all the good work you've done.

Now I have a little request : In 3 screens mode, could you make an option to let us choose wether to render external views on 1 screen or on all screens ?

I ask that because I prefer the old way those views were rendered (even with the FOV beeing too narrow), and I'd like to have this back

Thanks in advance for any reply you may do.
Set the amount of sidescreens to zero. Click on the number to change it.
i was wondering if perhaps the XR's could use the real headlights instead of the bumper-mounted lights... it looks kinda odd to have the real ones stuffed inside the hood when the other lights are on.

i realize it might put a damper on aerodynamics, but if you're taking the rev light out of the road cars, what's one more change going to hurt?
sorry maybe a bit OT, but is there some difference between limiting fps to 60, or enabling vsync to get only 60fps?
yes, there is. with vsync on, those 60fps a synchronized with screen output, just limited to 60 they are not. (with all good and bad effects)

No problems with Z17 here so far, love the improved z-buffering in cockpit view. (y)
Yes.

1) Vsync will only limit to 60fps if your monitor refresh rate is 60Hz (they are linked)
2) Only vsync can effectively eliminate tearing. Manual limitation might sorta work but it also might not
3) Vsync will cut your fps dramatically if you are for some reason not able to reach your monitor's refresh rate. Every time you dip below it your fps will be cut in half, so for example on 60Hz if you can't hold 60fps it will be cut to 30fps, if you can't reach that it will be cut to 15fps, etc.
4) Manual limitation should really only be used to relieve your graphics card from unnecessary stress (or prevent fps jumping up and down too much). Depending on your PC's timer resolution the manual limitation can also be considerably less accurate than using vsync

Overall, vsync should only be used if you notice tearing and you have a graphics card / CPU combo that can reliably hold your monitor's refresh rate in fps.
Quote from AndroidXP :3) Vsync will cut your fps dramatically if you are for some reason not able to reach your monitor's refresh rate. Every time you dip below it your fps will be cut in half, so for example on 60Hz if you can't hold 60fps it will be cut to 30fps, if you can't reach that it will be cut to 15fps, etc.

Not if you use triple buffering, which you should. I don't think you even can switch triple buffering off inside LFS. Of course you could force it off from the drivers, but I don't see why would anyone want to do that.
Quote from geeman1 :Not if you use triple buffering, which you should. I don't think you even switch triple buffering off inside LFS. Of course you could force it off from the drivers, but I don't see why would anyone want to do that.

IIRC, triple buffering is enabled at 2x AF.
This thread is closed

Test Patch Z17 (online compatible)
(332 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG