The online racing simulator
When I use VSync I have a lag between real and virtual wheel. In every race-sim i tried it.

Is it only visual effect or does it affect physics too?
Quote from AndroidXP : Overall, vsync should only be used if you notice tearing and you have a graphics card / CPU combo that can reliably hold your monitor's refresh rate in fps.

Wrong. If you PC can do 60+ all the time, you must use VSync. This way your hardware won't be pushed to limits = less overheating and less power usage.
Quote from Shadowww :Wrong. If you PC can do 60+ all the time, you must use VSync. This way your hardware won't be pushed to limits = less overheating and less power usage.

Actually, he's right. Although there's no point in turning Vsync off unless you get an FPS higher than your monitor's refresh rate, it can still cause visual tearing on the screen.
Quote from geeman1 :Not if you use triple buffering, which you should. I don't think you even can switch triple buffering off inside LFS. Of course you could force it off from the drivers, but I don't see why would anyone want to do that.

Oh right, didn't think about that
The 3 screen support works very well. But, my cars are all now shiny and blue which I don't like, any way of getting this 'lighting' effect back to the original?

Thanks.

Edit: never mind I am a numpty, sorry
Bug!
Attached images
lfs_00000054.jpg
Quote from AndroidXP :Yes.

3) Vsync will cut your fps dramatically if you are for some reason not able to reach your monitor's refresh rate. Every time you dip below it your fps will be cut in half, so for example on 60Hz if you can't hold 60fps it will be cut to 30fps, if you can't reach that it will be cut to 15fps, etc.
4) Manual limitation should really only be used to relieve your graphics card

Overall, vsync should only be used if you notice tearing and you have a graphics card / CPU combo that can reliably hold your monitor's refresh rate in fps.

3: In al those years.. from the beginning at voodoo cards, s3 virge cards i have never noticed such behavior. If a frame is not ready when your screen is ready to receive, a 3d-engine will just wait for the refresh and display the frame as soon as possible. There is no intentional cut in fps. Although vsync will certainly reduce fps, but the devider by two?? no way! Well that said, there are so many programmers around the world, most likely there will be someone who managed to get this behavior out of his program And then its called a bug.

4: Limiting lfs to 100fps is a very efficient way to save energy. It also relieves your cpu. On fast systems it will save well over 50 watts of power. Certainly worth it.
Quote from Christof Blum :When I use VSync I have a lag between real and virtual wheel. In every race-sim i tried it.

refresh-rate of 60Hz is low, so if a frame is just not ready to be displayed at a screen refresh, you will be shown the next frame about 1/60th of a second too late. Add to that the significant input-lag many lcd-screens have.... you might be lagging, in worst case, up to 5/60th of a second behind. Espacially many samsung lcd' s which are often notoriously slow. This lag is not caused by the leds in the lcd-panel, it is caused by the electronics in the monitor which send the signals to the lcd-panel.
Quote from Bluebird B B :3: In al those years.. from the beginning at voodoo cards, s3 virge cards i have never noticed such behavior. If a frame is not ready when your screen is ready to receive, a 3d-engine will just wait for the refresh and display the frame as soon as possible. There is no intentional cut in fps. Although vsync will certainly reduce fps, but the devider by two?? no way! Well that said, there are so many programmers around the world, most likely there will be someone who managed to get this behavior out of his program And then its called a bug.

"Wrong". If double buffering (one front-, one backbuffer) is used and you hardware can't reach display refresh rate, you get FPS 1/2 (1/3,1/4..) of display refresh rate. To get around this there is tripple buffering (one front-, two backbuffers), this will eliminate the framedrops and the little extra lag. It costs a bit more video memory, though.

Quote from Christof Blum :When I use VSync I have a lag between real and virtual wheel. In every race-sim i tried it.

First, with double buffering vsync adds a maximum lag of 1 frame. Correct implemented tripplebuffering with vsync adds near to zero lag. The problem here is, in directx there is no given method for tripplebuffering, gamedevs have to implement one thereselfs. and often it means a render ahead queue of three buffers is called tripplebuffering, which it is not. So in worst case, you switch on vsync, click tripplebuffering in game and end up with additional lag of 3 frames.

There is a very good article at anandtech.com, everyone interested should read it: http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3591&p=1
Quote from bunder9999 :i was wondering if perhaps the XR's could use the real headlights instead of the bumper-mounted lights... it looks kinda odd to have the real ones stuffed inside the hood when the other lights are on.

Too much off-topic, but heck... For example Porsche 944 has bumper-mounted lights, as well flip-flop lights. And I never drive using flip-flops during a day.
Quote from AndroidXP :Overall, vsync should only be used if you notice tearing and you have a graphics card / CPU combo that can reliably hold your monitor's refresh rate in fps.

overall vsnyc should never be used in games that run a physics rate that isnt evenly divisible by your monitors refresh rate
Quote from geeman1 :Set the amount of sidescreens to zero. Click on the number to change it.

Already tested, not working.
Scawen.. RE: Shift Up light... Will that stop being reported to outgauge applications, or is it just in LFS only?
Not a bug, but I thought it's worth mentioning that for Z16 and Z17 have given me quite an FPS hit compared to Z15 and previous.

Used to be 40-60 FPS nearly all the time, and now I'm looking at 20 - 30, but generally closer to 20.

Nothing significant has been changed on my PC Is there something code wise that is now (largely?) more complicated than before that would cause this?
Quote from JO53PHS :Not a bug, but I thought it's worth mentioning that for Z16 and Z17 have given me quite an FPS hit compared to Z15 and previous.

Used to be 40-60 FPS nearly all the time, and now I'm looking at 20 - 30, but generally closer to 20.

Nothing significant has been changed on my PC Is there something code wise that is now (largely?) more complicated than before that would cause this?

Im getting closer to 10fps, I use to have around 60...And my graphics are on lowest
I noticed that the fuel needle is gone while spectating...when i drive its there...anyone notices that too?
Quote from itsphilthy :I noticed that the fuel needle is gone while spectating

Its normal i guess, not a bug, its the same as tires, you cant see the temp on others. I dunno why, reduce lag?
That was changed ages ago.
Quote from aroX123 :Its normal i guess, not a bug, its the same as tires, you cant see the temp on others. I dunno why, reduce lag?

Tire dont know , but the fuel is for strategy, so, no one can see the fuel of other racer´s and guess, in what lap is aprox hes/her gona make the pit stop.
I know, this is not actually z17 bug:
I put bl1, and demo cars on server, what normally s2(0.5 z13), and the lfsworld say it is demo server. My friend try join to server (with demo licence), but he can't, lfs say: it is s1 server.

(Sorry for my bad english)
This may have been mentioned, but you are unable to click on the car icons on the map without having the connection list open. If the connection list isn't open, there's no mouse. Perhaps set it so that the mouse shows up and disappears after a few seconds regardless of whether there are buttons on the screen?
Quote from Tomasevich :This may have been mentioned, but you are unable to click on the car icons on the map without having the connection list open. If the connection list isn't open, there's no mouse. Perhaps set it so that the mouse shows up and disappears after a few seconds regardless of whether there are buttons on the screen?

+1. Pain in butt to move mouse for 2 seconds trying to find the cursor, then finding out you have to hit N twice, then move the mouse again to click on the arrow. Would be worthless if you needed to spec a teammate during a race, you'd probably crash.
Quote from MijnWraak :+1. Pain in butt to move mouse for 2 seconds trying to find the cursor, then finding out you have to hit N twice, then move the mouse again to click on the arrow. Would be worthless if you needed to spec a teammate during a race, you'd probably crash.

I don't think this feature is mostly used during races, so pressing N once (it works without the list, too) and clicking on the map is not that difficult.
Right, but if you want to spectate a special car by choosing it from the map, you probably would like to know who he is. So once selected the car you either have to press V several times to see his name in the TV or chase view, or you have to press N again to see the little arrow pointing at his name...
This thread is closed

Test Patch Z17 (online compatible)
(332 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG