The online racing simulator
Formula 1 to be shocked?
(312 posts, started )
It is a very valid point you raise Intrepid, and that is all part of a much wider debate. Flavio, myself, and 3 blokes not wearing annoraks would like to see the disparity of performance from technical innovation narrowed, it's not often I find myself in [partial] agreement with Max Mosley but it strikes me that the core idea behind his proposals are essentially correct (if a little wayward in execution).

Capping development expenditure (by whatever meens) and limiting engineering freedom has to be done. Whilst development does indeed have to remain a part of F1, I would very much like to see more overtaking than we've seen this season.

On thing Flavio suggested, and that would work irrespective of any technical caps, was for reverse grids. I agree that the grid in F1 should not place the fastest car at the front. Good racing happens more often when you "mix things up a bit", either by the grid or by wet weather, which is why I mixed the grid up with my LFS league (STCC) when I ran it and the result was more on-track action. Flavio is right, put the fastest car at the front and it drives away.

F1 is too frequently an exercise in waiting for the result of T1 and a couple of pitstops to play out, and as much as I love the sport, nothing gets me out of my sofa like a good dice for position.

So yes, development does need to be part of F1 - as much as it is now? Debateable. Can good racing occur without changing development caps? Yes. Could development caps even things up a bit? Yes.

Whichever way you look at it the fact is F1 could be more exiting than it is if it was just willing to break one or two long standing traditions. They where on the right track when they started playing with the qualifying format - but they havnt hit the nail on the head yet.

I propose short qualifying races and a heat system prior to a feature event, with heats starting out organised by championship order and their grids by reverse order, and cars moving up/down a heat based on finishing position. 2 or 3 few rounds at about 15-20% feature race distance with 1 set of tyres for the whole thing and grid order for the feature event decided by heat finishing position. Lap times then being completely irrellevent - you want a higher spot on the grid - you overtake...
Quote from Intrepid :Ron Dennis - check
Flavio Briatore - check
Luca Montezemolo -

Wonder who's next in the firing line? All very odd dontya think

what are you smoking again? di montezemolo is the fiat boss it would be like rallying for carlos ghosns head to roll in the renault case
Quote from Becky Rose :....

You can't create good racing without it feeling fake and manufactured. It's essentially like becoming WWF.

The real sport of F1 is the engineering. The real talent is the engineers.

That's what drives the sport forward. It's why we have McLaren, it's why we have Ferrari. You take this core pure concept away and you have just another series. What would make F1 unique from Superleague, A1GP etc...

That's the key issue here Becky. Simple business logic - What's the USP?

If we take away development and introduce more exciting rule to entice racing then you take away the only thing that makes F1 different. F1 certainly can't produce the best and close racing so. other series have that cornered. It could possibly kill f1 over night!
Quote :That's the key issue here Becky. Simple business logic - What's the USP?

If we take away development and introduce more exciting rule to entice racing then you take away the only thing that makes F1 different. F1 certainly can't produce the best and close racing so. other series have that cornered. It could possibly kill f1 over night!

As I mentioned they can provide better racing without changing anything bar the qualifying format. My personal thoughts on qualifying differ slightly to Flavio's but the concept is the same - dont put the fast cars at the front. That doesn't change the engineering focus at all.

The fact that the engineering is currently being shaken up by Mosley, and I dont like the implementations that have been banded about but in concept I agree that it could be good for the racing too - however, like they didnt get qualifying right when they fiddled with it, I dont think they'll get the budget caps and technical restrictions right either.

The best qualifying system F1 had was the super pole system, it just made for dull TV on the qualifying day - but it jumbled the grid up whilst keeping the quick guy "near" the front and the slow guys "near" the back. That's what qualifying should do, it should all be a bit "sloppy" - but because Saturday TV needs to be exciting they had to do away with the super pole, and tbh it wasnt really mixed up quite enough.

That's why I suggest a heat system, so we get mini races on the Saturday to decide the grid - and they have to figure out how to overtake because strategy alone wont cut it.

With short heat races using half sized grids they can space the cars out more at the start by using alternate rows to save on T1 accidents. The quickest guys are not denied the opportunity to get pole position if they earn it. We get more racing, and we get more overtaking and less reliance on pit stop strategy whilst still keeping that a part of the sport.
Quote from 5haz :
But remember hes just a businessman really, not a racer, so he'll just probrably go on to pastures new, or retire.

like this....?

I´m shocked!
his manhood is totally invisible from the side shot.

WOOT.
I was just about to go to sleep, thats just nasty man. :zombie:
I wish I hadnt seen that.
Mate, at least post thumbnails only and write a big NOT SAFE FOR WORK at the top.

Ugh!
Quote from VoiD :like this....?

Removal of pics for obvious reasons

I´m shocked!

So Renault got off lightly...(or in other words, the FIA were shit scared of loosing them from ALL motorsport)

Can't help thinking there's a disparity between the McFezza-spygate thing and this obviously politically motivated response. Especially when they brandish such terms as "unparalleled severity" and "compromised the integrity of the sport, endangered the lives of spectators, officials etc", then only give them a suspended sentence, it's not like they're gonna do it again any time soon. And no fine ? come on, what the hell ? Ok so they have to help fund a few safety bits and pieces, but really, is that enough ? Just makes me wonder what would have happened a few years ago if Mercedes had been threatening to leave the sport prior to all their spying nonsense.

The Briatore punishment is deserved, and it's tough on Symonds, but probably merited. But, and this really angers me, Piquet jnr's immunity from prosecution, nah, not on. I don't care how young, inexperienced or under pressure he was, at the end of the day he was the one sat in the car, he was the one that crashed, he was the one that agreed to it, and then kept his mouth shut for a whole year, and only opened his gob after he got the boot (and let's not forget he got the sack for being shit). I'm aware his father had words with Charlie Whiting at the Brazilian GP, but he (jnr) didn't have the balls to follow through with his accusations at the time (so he sat on it until he could use it as a bargaining tool perhaps ?). That tells me all i wannna know about PK jnr's character. Maybe Flav was right to accuse him of blackmail. Either way i sincerely hope we've seen the last of him and his father, neither deserve to be involved with F1 anymore in my opinion.

Anyway...Just a wild idea to spice up the races that i've just thunked up whilst reading the above posts.

How about having the starting grids based on either the results or the fastest lap times from the previous race. Then, on the Saturday they could have a three phase fastest lap session on low fuel loads for extra points. i.e, get knocked out in 1st phase = no points, get knocked out in 2nd phase = all get 1 point, then the rest fight it out for the big points, fastest time = 12pts, 2nd = 10pts, 9, 8, etc. Then in the race, the winner gets 25pts, 2nd get 20pts etc, similar to Moto GP.

I'll admit i'm not entirely sure if this would work, but then again i've never ever complained at the lack of overtaking in F1. F1 has always been boring to watch since, well, since as far back as i've been watching it. In "Ye Olde Days of Yore" part of the excitement came from never knowing if the cars would actually make the distance. Mechanical breakdowns, missed gear changes, bust tyres, drivers skill were always an unknown factor in determining the race order. Nowadays the cars/tyres/drivers are so damn reliable its almost enevitable that the race will be won by the guys on the first few rows of the grid. If anything, it's these factors that have made the sport "boring" and not the increased factor of the modern day aero modelling. By the very nature of physics i'm not sure if it's at all possible to build a car with F1 levels of downforce and make them easy to overtake (at least not without making the cars look bloody ridiculous). So perhaps the only solution is to install sprinkler systems at each circuit and have them come on at completely random periods. Just a thought...

{edit} Oh great, i took so long to write that, the topic's moved on to Briatore's knob. Might have guessed....
Quote from Becky Rose :I wish I hadnt seen that.

I searched the famous "flavio checked content of his swimming trunks" but failed, call yourself lucky!
awww... come on! just when i was getting hyped up because that silly brat is off the grid and u come up with that? shame on you!

on a good note though, my knob is bigger than flavio's.....
-
(BlueFlame) DELETED by BlueFlame
I think this has gone way beyond what Piquet wished to happen, hes actually seriously screwed some people's lives over.
Quote from 5haz :I think this has gone way beyond what Piquet wished to happen, hes actually seriously screwed some people's lives over.

To do this in his early 20's, I think it is actually quite an achievement.

But if I were him I would never ever visit Italy.
Quote from 5haz :I think this has gone way beyond what Piquet wished to happen, hes actually seriously screwed some people's lives over.

I'd say they screwed themselves over by being cheating idiots, but yeah. This really fell apart on them, didn't it?
Quote from JJ72 :To do this in his early 20's, I think it is actually quite an achievement.

I think it was more his father's doing, than his.

Piquet Senior was perhaps the most viral guy in F1 history, talking smack about Mansell's wife, then Senna's sexuality, trying to punch out Salazar (when Salazar was wearing a helmet, LOL).
That's why his father succeed, and he fails.

What Piquet Sr. proves is you don't have to be the most talented guy to win the championship, he did it three times, and I respect him for that. (Not to mention we were born on the same date. )
to be fair to piquet snr, whilst hitting salazar's head whilst he was wearing a helmet wasn't the brightest idea (salazr's idea of keeping his helmet on was far brighter ) it was at least a fairly understandable reaction. his other antics weren't however and you had to feel sorry for his mechanics with his habit of peeing whilst in the car

Formula 1 to be shocked?
(312 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG