The online racing simulator
Quote from mclarenmatt :Piquet's FIA Statement "Leaked."

http://www.f1sa.com/index.php? ... p;id=17075&Itemid=219

Obviously I don't know if this is fake or real guy's but it does look pretty legit to me.

It's on a few other sites too, so i'd say it's legit.

Thing is, it's just a statement, i can't see any hard evidence to back up these claims, and i'm not sure if the telemetry will be enough. Although, i have to say, the more i read about this the more i think it might be genuine. But, as i said earlier in the thread, without hard evidence it's just his word against theirs. Perhaps Flavio and Pat Symonds will stand up and admit to it. But if they do that then they can say goodbye to F1 for good.

On another note, Ferrari have just confirmed a 5yr sponsorship deal with Santander starting next year. So it looks like Alonso will be in red in 2010.

So with all that in mind, i wonder what will happen to Renault now ?
Telemetry I think will be sufficient at least for the public to decide whether or not Piquet spun it intentionally, even if it doesn't satisfy official criteria. Telemetry data won't show what was said in the meeting that both Renault and Piquet state took place. A verifiably legit audio recording or a transcription of ~ is pretty much the only real evidence that can show Piquet was instructed to crash
-
(carey) DELETED by carey
I'll put a fiver on him not or barely even hitting the wall if he did the logical: apply opposite lock and take some power away, realise its not going to be saved, slam brakes, come to a halt somewhere on the road, not in the wall.
Quote from carey : Isn’t it common place for certain individuals to club together, so it doesn’t look like they’re talking out of an orifice located lower down?

Yet you are the one that doesn't seem to understand that we are saying no driver would fail to lift off with oversteer, so if we're talking out of our arses then you must be something much worse.
-
(carey) DELETED by carey
An F1 car develops quite a head of steam, and at the end of the straight there isn't much more one can do other than rely on the brakes.

I was thinking more a steaming pile from the aforementioned arsehole.
-
(carey) DELETED by carey
:munching_
Quote from carey :I didn’t call him an awful person, here’s the post if anyone wants to know what I actually said.

Erm, I called him an awful person, don't go stealing my words and calling them yours! :/
-
(carey) DELETED by carey
Quote from Shotglass :well if its real hes a bigger idiot than all the f1 thread poasters zeugni mentioned combined
and a wuss

And a liar. In his post race interview he said he'd dropped it on the bumps because he was fat with fuel.

Word is it was his father who brought this to the attention of the FIA the day Nelsinho got the sack. Nice of him to stand by his son and show the world what a pathetic loser he is. As we've already discussed in this thread, Piquet Snr is a damn fine chap, no wait...
also im still trying to figure out whether to be disgusted confused or amused by the 3rd point in the document
Quote from Mazz4200 :Count again, you missed a few.

I was setting the bar VERY low.

But ok. 6, now that you posted here.
Quote from zeugnimod :I was setting the bar VERY low.

But ok. 6, now that you posted here.

Ahhh, i'd already put myself in the original 5 tbh

Perhaps i'm not as well known in this place as i thought
Quote from Mazz4200 :Ahhh, i'd already put myself in the original 5 tbh

Perhaps i'm not as well known in this place as i thought

Don't worry, I already identified you after the first post I read of you.
Quote from zeugnimod :Don't worry, I already identified you after the first post I read of you.

You're starting to scare me now Zeug

And for the record, i never thought you smelt of elderberries.

@ Shotglass, either way he's well and truly in the shit with this one, unless he's done a deal with the FIA for immunity. I guess from a legal point of view as long as he tells the truth in that statement then he's ok-ish, but, by the very actions he's referring to, he hasn't "ensured the fairness and legitimacy of the Championship". It's a tricky one for sure, but i can't see any team ever wanting to employ him after this, unless his dad buys him a team.

Ultimately, as you say, he's just ended up looking like a spineless idiot, and someone who had so little confidence in his own abilities he thought doing something like this would be the only way he could keep a seat in F1. It's really really sad.

I've been an avid fan of F1 since the late 70's and this sort of thing has never happened before, it's never even been mentioned in the pitlane rumour mill. It is potentially far far more serious than any spygate McFezza scandel, potentially the biggest scandel F1 has seen. And not nearly as funny as Maxie getting his arse spanked by the bunny girl branch of the Hitler youth.
-
(carey) DELETED by carey
Quote from Mustafur :http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/he ... detail/090910102106.shtml

Renault are clearly guilty as **** when they say this.

The Times newspaper said Briatore, who in his submission reportedly completely denies the charges, is likening the situation - with Piquet's father believed to have been the first to contact Max Mosley with the claims in late July - to "extortion".

:hihi: Flavio
Quote from Mazz4200 :...i can't see any team ever wanting to employ him after this, unless his dad buys him a team.

His dad has a team, its called Piquet GP. It's racing in GP2 series now.
-
(carey) DELETED by carey
I don't quite understand why everyone is bashing Piquet so much.

He was acting on orders from high, in the belief that it would make his life in the team easier. It's not like it was his idea, it was his bosses idea. Ultimately, the blame should fall on the decision makers at the top of the pile, not the mindless peon that's doing their bidding.

If anybody thinks that F1 is a clean cut, stand-up gentleman of an organization, they are sadly mistaken - the place is and will continue to be corrupt for a long time.

The difference these days, is that it's getting harder and harder to cover it up.
Let's not pretend that we know the facts. "He was acting on orders from on high", etc. and all that rubbish.

Although the evidence seems to point to an intentional crash, there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever about where the idea originated from, whether Briatore and/or Symonds approved the idea, or who else might have been involved and to what extent.

The hearing is on the 21st. Hopefully the truth will out. But seeing that it's the WMSC we're talking about, I'm guessing this might go all the way to the ICA.

The sad thing about all this is:
1. Nelsinho Piquet's racing career is effectively over, unless it is a self-run operation or within Brazil.
2. Formula One's sporting image has been tarnished yet again, by another scandal.
3. Regardless of which party in the matter is correct, everyone loses to some degree.

========================================================

Having said all that, it seems Flavio Briatore is pulling no punches about this:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78467
and
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78478

This thing is sure to get extremely ugly.
Quote from samjh :Let's not pretend that we know the facts. "He was acting on orders from on high", etc. and all that rubbish.

On the same note, this doesn't mean we aren't allowed to use our brains. Exactly why is it rubbish? You'd do well to heed your own advice, especially as we aren't pretending to know all of the facts

Assume that he crashed intentionally - the jury is still out on that, but it's looking likely unless his right leg spazzed out and he lost control of that too.

Why else would he crash intentionally? It certainly wouldn't help his cause if his bosses WEREN'T aware of it. Him crashing intentionally would only benefit him if it was planned.

There is of course the possibility that he crashed because he wanted to piss his team off, because Briatore was treating him like shit. Although that just doesn't make sense.

And then there is the possibility that his crash was unintentional, and it was just a mistake. I'd like to see the telemetry data on that, it would be quite easy to see if it happened on purpose or not.

I hope the FIA are transparent with their findings, because they have history of covering things up, especially when money is changing hands, and Briatore has a lot of it.
Something that makes it worse is the contradicting stories of

Symonds ("It's true, during the Sunday meeting with Piquet the issue of deliberately causing a SC deployment came up, but it was proposed by Piquet himself. It was just a conversation.")....

and Briatore ("I confirm the meeting with Piquet on Sunday morning, but nothing like that was ever talked about.")

Symonds says Piquet brought it up?, why on earth would he make that idea?, he'd already made himself great mates with the wall and I don't think he would think that far for his great buddy Fernando.

Its become a two way range.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78478
Quote from dawguk :On the same note, this doesn't mean we aren't allowed to use our brains. Exactly why is it rubbish? You'd do well to heed your own advice, especially as we aren't pretending to know all of the facts

There is a difference between using one's brains to form an opinion, and stating an opinion without any qualifying statement as though it is a fact, which is what you did. I do apologise for calling it rubbish though. It was a rush-of-blood-to-the-head moment.

Just personally, a pet hate of mine is when people who are accused of doing something are presumed to be guilty without adequate proof. I noticed this tendency in jury duty (which was alarming), in other dealings with the legal system, and investigative work. It annoys the crap out of me.

Quote from dawguk :Intentionally? It certainly wouldn't help his cause if his bosses WEREN'T aware of it. Him crashing intentionally would only benefit him if it was planned.

Not necessarily. It would benefit him if he planted an idea about exploiting it to his superiors. He doesn't even have to get their approval. Just drop the hint, and rely on Briatore being greedy enough to let it pass by when events transpire into a positive outcome.

Quote from dawguk :There is of course the possibility that he crashed because he wanted to piss his team off, because Briatore was treating him like shit. Although that just doesn't make sense.

Piquet has a history of mouthing off without considering the consequences. Sometimes people who have a tendency to shoot from the hips end up crossing the line and actually do the deed. Does Piquet have that sort of temperament? I think he does, but that is something the WMSC will need to consider when weighing Piquet's credibility as a witness.

Quote from dawguk :I hope the FIA are transparent with their findings, because they have history of covering things up, especially when money is changing hands, and Briatore has a lot of it.

As does Piquet's father. And as far as the FIA is concerned, Flavio Briatore does not have a good standing with them, particularly after the 2005 US GP saga. Briatore is not a popular bloke (no surprise there, judging by his ridiculous antics). The Piquet name, on the other hand, is good business material.

I don't trust the WMSC at all. It's a kangaroo court, IMHO. The ICA is much more trust-worthy, as the people who comprise it are distinguished jurists who are not under the FIA President's thumb.
Quote from samjh :There is a difference between using one's brains to form an opinion, and stating an opinion without any qualifying statement as though it is a fact, which is what you did. I do apologise for calling it rubbish though. It was a rush-of-blood-to-the-head moment.

Fairy muff

Quote from samjh :Just personally, a pet hate of mine is when people who are accused of doing something are presumed to be guilty without adequate proof. I noticed this tendency in jury duty (which was alarming), in other dealings with the legal system, and investigative work. It annoys the crap out of me.

Some people don't like sitting on the fence

Quote from samjh :Not necessarily. It would benefit him if he planted an idea about exploiting it to his superiors. He doesn't even have to get their approval. Just drop the hint, and rely on Briatore being greedy enough to let it pass by when events transpire into a positive outcome.

There is also this, but I think that you give Piquet too much credit. I don't believe that he has the head on his shoulders to think of something like this all by himself.

Quote from samjh :Piquet has a history of mouthing off without considering the consequences. Sometimes people who have a tendency to shoot from the hips end up crossing the line and actually do the deed. Does Piquet have that sort of temperament? I think he does, but that is something the WMSC will need to consider when weighing Piquet's credibility as a witness.

Briatore also has the history to try and pull something like this off. He's a very shrewd business person, and he doesn't care if he upsets people. Whether or not this would extend to cheating, surely not!

Quote from samjh :As does Piquet's father. And as far as the FIA is concerned, Flavio Briatore does not have a good standing with them, particularly after the 2005 US GP saga. Briatore is not a popular bloke (no surprise there, judging by his ridiculous antics). The Piquet name, on the other hand, is good business material.

Interestingly, I was reading Sebastien Vettel's twitter page earlier, and he had this to say:

Quote :Many want to delete Briatore from F1 (including me). But we are paying a high price! Nelson is a good guy!

Make of that, what you will.

Formula 1 to be shocked?
(312 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG