The online racing simulator
There are two kinds of speed, the outright, straight-line speed, basically the maximum straight line potential of your car, and pace, which is the maximum potential of the driver on a circuit/stage.

I personally believe that nobody can ever reach that maximum potential of a car around a circuit, some drivers get incredibly close, but no human bea'n can consistently drive the racing line with correct braking, steering and power inputs to a fraction of a milimetre.

Pace is related to skill, outright speed is certainly not, any footballer can do 150mph+ on the motorway in their Porsche, does this make them F1 driver material? I think not.
Quote from carey :Don’t top level karts do about 95mph, with F1 cars doing more than twice that? Speed and skill have to be related, but I guess it’s a matter of opinion, regarding whether a kart’s more tricky to drive than a Formula car (personally I think not).

Have you driven both? I think not!

This is not the debate anyway. My point is F1 drivers aren't all that. Time and time again this is proven to be the case. A good driver is a good driver whether they are in F1 or not. You would hope the best would reach the top but time and time again I witness situations where drivers that have no right to be near a so called 'decent driver' somehow manage it (of course you don't hear about it). The only difference in fact is their monetary wealth.

It's not to say some F1 drivers are properly world class. There is no denying some of them are, but the tag 'F1 driver' has never, in my opinion, automatically meant 'top flight driver'.
Quote from 5haz :no human bea'n can consistently drive the racing line with correct braking, steering and power inputs to a fraction of a milimetre

It's very unwise to underestimated pulses of any kind.
how much of this is actual oppinion and how much is you being angy at never being able to move past karts and trying to blame it on others and their wealth?
Quote from xaotik :It's very unwise to underestimated pulses of any kind.

:ices_rofl Classic
Quote from Shotglass :how much of this is actual oppinion and how much is you being angy at never being able to move past karts and trying to blame it on others and their wealth?

The day Lewis Hamilton destroyed me at age 10 when I had decent gear I knew I never had the talent to go further! I was always realistic about my racing and ability

Having witnessed and seen what it takes to become successful in motorsport if you haven't got the cash you don't make it. Full stop. No point bullshitting about if you've got the talent you can make it. It's all tosh! Unless you are dedicated to the nth degree and are willing to literally put your life on the line to get the cash forget trying to make f1.

If you haven;t got money, even if you do get a shot, you lack of testing (due to money) is a HUGE limitation. Not impossible, but you have to be more dedicated than what is physically possible!

Enjoy motorsport, and race if you can but let's actually get real people!
Although money is very much a part of success in motorsport, I think (hope) skill still plays a significant part, not just every race driver makes it that far. Its easy to label a poorly performing F1 driver as crap, but they are only being relatively outshone by the other drivers and perhaps some drivers in lesser categories, but skill still plays are part in getting a super license, even if it has a ridiculous price tag.
Quote from 5haz :Although money is very much a part of success in motorsport, I think (hope) skill still plays a significant part, not just every race driver makes it that far. Its easy to label a poorly performing F1 driver as crap, but they are only being relatively outshone by the other drivers and perhaps some drivers in lesser categories, but skill still plays are part in getting a super license, even if it has a ridiculous price tag.

Only people that are completely useless can't get one. And you have to be pretty bad!
Quote from Intrepid :Only people that are completely useless can't get one. And you have to be pretty bad!

This may well be true of the ARDS test (and its equivalent in Karting), but neither of us probrably know what criteria you have to meet to get a super license, so I don't think either of us should comment on how easy it is.

Quote from Mazz4200 : Classic

Feels daft now because I don't quite geddit.
Quote from 5haz :This may well be true of the ARDS test (and its equivalent in Karting), but neither of us probrably know what criteria you have to meet to get a super license, so I don't think either of us should comment on how easy it is.

Give me £10m and I guarantee you I could get a superlicence within 5 years!
Quote from Intrepid :Give me £10m and I guarantee you I could get a superlicence within 5 years!

Do you know what you have to do to obtain a super license? You certinly seem to, I however don't, would you care to explain?
Quote from 5haz :Feels daft now because I don't quite geddit.

Lol, nah, don't be embarrassed.

It's odd though, i read another post of yours you wrote at roughly the same time in another thread, but your spelling was fine in that one (that's a hint). We'll put it down to a simple typo
I'm pretty sure being a reigning champion or a consistantly good finisher in any of the listed lesser categories is certainly not something many racing drivers are capable of, with or without adequate funding. Infact it could be argued that it is harder to succeed in lower series such as GP2 than it is in F1 itself.

If you were to obtain the funding to advance further, I think you would be in for a rude awakening, money is still not everything, the Toyota F1 team being a prime example of this.

Quote from Mazz4200 :Lol, nah, don't be embarrassed.

It's odd though, i read another post of yours you wrote at roughly the same time in another thread, but your spelling was fine in that one (that's a hint). We'll put it down to a simple typo

Oh the spelling mistake was deliberate, just me being daft, human bea'ns, theres lots of them. Rather slow on the uptake but yeah I'm with you now.
Quote from Intrepid :Give me £10m and I guarantee you I could get a superlicence within 5 years!

Somehow I have the feeling you used the exact same wording in the CVs you sent around when seeking sponsors.
Quote from xaotik :Somehow I have the feeling you used the exact same wording in the CVs you sent around when seeking sponsors.

I never tried to get sponsors!
Quote from Intrepid :I never tried to get sponsors!

Perhaps thats your downfall, you also admit that you had good kit and was beaten by Hamilton, so perhaps racing isn't all about the money after all.
Quote from 5haz :Perhaps thats your downfall, you also admit that you had good kit and was beaten by Hamilton, so perhaps racing isn't all about the money after all.

Well he had very good kit too! Well to be honest the best. his Force engines were ballistic! Either way it was NEVER my intention to be a professional driver. We could only afford one engine and one kart Vs Hamilton's 5-6 engines and muiltiple karts. YES he was better, but he still needed the investment from his father to make it to the front and get the good motors.

I just enjoyed racing. Had we had £10m sitting in the bank spare I could have easily made it through the ranks at least getting to Euro F3... at the very least. If we were rich enough even GP2!

The best drivers are generally the ones with huge financial backing as well as very smart people making sure the program a driver on is top notch!
In the lower levels of racing, people will obviously enter themsevles or pay for a drive, so this allows rich drivers with little talent to beat others with superior kit, but once you get to the level where teams 'hire' drivers as professionals (essentially F1), drivers actually begin to need some skill to earn their pay, good team bosses don't hire just any driver.

Of course there used to be pay drivers at the top level too, but that is a thing of the past, one thing we can thank Bernie for.
Quote from 5haz :In the lower levels of racing, people will obviously enter themsevles or pay for a drive, so this allows rich drivers with little talent to beat others with superior kit, but once you get to the level where teams 'hire' drivers as professionals (essentially F1), drivers actually begin to need some skill to earn their pay, good team bosses don't hire just any driver.

Of course there used to be pay drivers at the top level too, but that is a thing of the past, one thing we can thank Bernie for.

Jaime Alguersuari is bring quite a lot of cash to Toro Rosso I believe and Bernie wants Chandhock in the Force India car. I can't imagine why????

They may not hire any driver, however they can only hire drivers from a very exclusive set of series. So in effect all they can hire is the best wealthy driver. Of course there are exceptions but this is just how it is.

This is motorsport, and I still wouldn't change it though!

what will you do (besides giving me back the money) if you fail?
-
(carey) DELETED by carey
Quote from Shotglass :what will you do (besides giving me back the money) if you fail?

Reminds me of Dragon's Den, where some FFord lad came on and asked for money to get to F1, and they ripped him to pieces because he was essentially trying to get them to invest in what could end up as nothing.
I must have been gone a loooooooooooong time, I come back and Alan and Tristan are AGREEING WITH EACH OTHER!?!?!?!?!??! WTF, NEW WORLD ORDER!
You should never agree with someone based on who they are, but what comes out of their head box. Smile

Formula 1 to be shocked?
(312 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG