The online racing simulator
Quote from JJ72 :add Oran park Lidar, and of course bathrust to the mix.

That Oran Park one is a fantastic track, one of the best I've ever used. The amount of detail you get in the track surface has me completely sold on laser-mapped circuits.
Me too, the track design itself is great, first corner - you have keep up speed while still be able to settle the car down before braking. Then there's a few blind corners over the crest before and after the bridge, some more interesting gradient and off camber stuff in the latter part, and I love the last corner. Everything is so neatly packed on that track.
There was a competition between the best simracers in our country under the title: LFS vs. rFactor. The best 10 rFactor players from rFactor championship and the best 10 LFS players from LFS championship took part in it. There were 2 rounds, first was in Lfs and the the second was in rFactor 3 weeks later. 2×25-30 laps in either round (don't remember exactly ), in reverse order on the 2nd race. And the result is, that LFS'ers has won both of them. This must show something...
Quote from Concept-X :This must show something...

Sure, that LFS players are picking up rFactor, while rFactor players never tried LFS before
Quote from Concept-X :There was a competition between the best simracers in our country under the title: LFS vs. rFactor. The best 10 rFactor players from rFactor championship and the best 10 LFS players from LFS championship took part in it. There were 2 rounds, first was in Lfs and the the second was in rFactor 3 weeks later. 2×25-30 laps in either round (don't remember exactly ), in reverse order on the 2nd race. And the result is, that LFS'ers has won both of them. This must show something...

Ouch
Very nice!
Quote from NightShift :Sure, that LFS players are picking up rFactor, while rFactor players never tried LFS before

I don't think so, it's easier to download the demo of Lfs and try it than buy the rFactor... ( because it doesn't cost anything )
Quote from Concept-X :I don't think so, it's easier to download the demo of Lfs and try it than buy the rFactor... ( because it doesn't cost anything )

Even so I think Nightshift's point still stands. I think a lot of LFS players are looking at and trying out other sims, possibly because they are getting bored with LFS. And while rFactor players may also be trying out LFS I think those numbers are far lower.

That being said, though, you are probably right in that the reason that both rounds were won by LFS players is because they are used to the fairly realistic physics of LFS while the rFactor players were possibly used to faulty and way less realistic physics of a number of rFactor mods.

Anyway, like was said countless times before: yes, the greater part of all rF mods may be utter rubbish, but there are also some really high quality mods available that are really really enjoyable and easily surpass LFS in many areas (IMO).
Still, that Greger Huttu seems to have adapted his ISI skills rather well to iRacing physics. And some say it's nearly as good as LFS!
My point of view here, hoping to light up the debate (lighter style, not flamethrower style )

It seems to me that LFS follows a unique path, trying to simulate car physics as accurately as a computer game can do it.
On the other hand, ISI and iRacing seem to aim at simulating how a car feels, as accurately as a computer game can do it.

Both ways are equally correct, however the limitations induced by the sim being only a computer game have a different effects on the user, with different shortcomings especially during development phase.

I see LFS development as being a more hardcore / purist way, like high level maths are a form of art (abstract art I must say). ISI - iracing way is probably more efficient and to the point, and in the end when these sims have reached maturity the difference between them will probably be barely noticeable.

I am more interested in the LFS way - it feels like an incredible piece of software, but I am also sure that it is not following the most efficient way. Long years enjoying the path forward ahead, why not?
If we ever get bored on the path forward, we can jump on the rfactor - iracing wagon, and get comparable or faster progress. We will probably all come back here later though
Quote from Niels Heusinkveld :I think at the moment I'm relatively happy with the Corvette C6 mod, provided you get the latest unofficial update at my crappy site http://geocities.com/n_heusink ... rphysics/physicsfiles.htm

Just tried this, and unless there's a placebo effect going on, this really is much better than the rFactorcentral version. Felt more like the front wheels were actually on tarmac rather than ice when things got hairy. It actually responded to steering inputs - ISI shock!

I still don't think they're quite right (still a bit incongruously slippery in places), but generally, car more planted, steerable and recoverable.

Tried the Caterham, and as someone said, that's very docile.
Quote from Postman Pat :Still, that Greger Huttu seems to have adapted his ISI skills rather well to iRacing physics. And some say it's nearly as good as LFS!

I believe Mr Huttu would adapt his driving-skills to ANY sim coded on earth or other inhabited planets
#465 - Dac
i play rfactor when i get bored of the LFS content, and in comparison, it really does suck. the graphics suck, the physics sucks even more, and the tracks and car mods always seem half arsed. not to mention the standard menu system and everything is just rubbish.

still, if you want to burn a F430 around the top gear test track, or take a 1955 F1 car around the Nurburgring theres not many other places you can do it!
Quote from Dac :i play rfactor when i get bored of the LFS content, and in comparison, it really does suck. the graphics suck, the physics sucks even more, and the tracks and car mods always seem half arsed. not to mention the standard menu system and everything is just rubbish.

Then you're definitely not playing the right mods with the right controller setup.
Quote from Concept-X :There was a competition between the best simracers in our country under the title: LFS vs. rFactor. The best 10 rFactor players from rFactor championship and the best 10 LFS players from LFS championship took part in it. There were 2 rounds, first was in Lfs and the the second was in rFactor 3 weeks later. 2×25-30 laps in either round (don't remember exactly ), in reverse order on the 2nd race. And the result is, that LFS'ers has won both of them. This must show something...

We actually had this between some iRacers and some LFS'ers, just in real gokarts. And all the LFS'ers finished top, iRacers mostly bottom. Either they just really suck, or they drive too safe
I actually agree on the comments that rFactor has bad graphics, bad physics, bad menu etc.. I never liked it. If you think otherwise, tell me how the hell you manage to make the game bearable
Quote from RasmusL : If you think otherwise, tell me how the hell you manage to make the game bearable

Download the mods that are known to be of good quality. I think rFactor can be one of the top sims, but it requires more effort to get good results. Some mods, such as the HistorX mod, have their own new menu and everything. You can really tell that a lot of effort has gone into HistorX and it is FAR from half arsed. It's good enough to be a new retail game. Also, rfactor can look very good graphically, you just have to download the things that have been done to a high standard. Not that that should really matter anyway.
Quote from Niels Heusinkveld :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsHSZnPoMH8

New headlights nice eh!

Am I the only one actually thinking about GT4 when looking at this vid?

Great work, quality stuff.

Quote from Dac :i play rfactor when i get bored of the LFS content, and in comparison, it really does suck. the graphics suck, the physics sucks even more, and the tracks and car mods always seem half arsed. not to mention the standard menu system and everything is just rubbish.

still, if you want to burn a F430 around the top gear test track, or take a 1955 F1 car around the Nurburgring theres not many other places you can do it!

Download any Virtua_LM track and combine it with car mods from Niels or FSONE and tell me te graphics are worse than LFS. There are a lot of terrible mods, but it's up to the user to sort them out.
i have just recently got into rfactor and it really piss's me off how the cars just dont feel right. its like im driving a un responsive brick

i got the r34 skyline mod and spent 5 hours editing the car mod files and setups to get it to at least feel like a real GTR

dont get me started on Rfactor drifting omg
Quote from Gabkicks :try niels's Corvette C6 with the latest physics
http://geocities.com/n_heusink ... rphysics/physicsfiles.htm

Seconded. You do need to make sure though you've no unnecessary lags in your system setup with the ISI slidey-snappy physics - very important! But this mod doesn't feel like normal ISI. It's still a bit hairy, but conversely, I think LFS is probably too manageable - otherwise you wouldn't see all the infeasible curb hopping exploits and powersliding in the hottest laps (from what I can tell from BL anyway).
Well i have both Rfactor and LFS and,just as a start,i found it very different driving the BMW Sauber in each of those games.
F1 is pretty easy in Rfactor,no aids and i can consistently drive at Silverstone in 1.22 something.
On the other hand,while we cant compare tracks because LFS's ones are fictional,i find it so hard and demanding to drive the F1 in LFS without TC.
Rfactor has good mods too,enduracers one is damn good,just stay away from the home-made crap and you will be ok.

Rfactor vs LFS ... pretty impressive
(526 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG