The online racing simulator
Quote from JJ72 :heck I've never seen the Caterham following online, if you know a good server let me know!

Try over here then, currently the Race Club (fun Wednesday night races) are running the Caterhams, two new seasons (Academy and R500, you can run in both) are starting again in July. The grids tend to be reasonably big for the championship races (15-20) and the drivers are clean and friendly, unfortunately the times might not suit you.
Quote from ajp71 :
Niels physics have never been released officially as far as I'm aware, they have no relation to the official mod and is great fun to drive

I am fully aware of that, that's why I said that I was not talking about the original release.

I fully agree with your choices of rFactor mod. Most of them I would have mentioned had you ask me to list ALL of the best rFactor mods. The legends are very good. I have not tried the formula 3 mod yet though, so if it is that good then I shall have to give it a go!

As for modern F1 mods, I would consider CTDP the best way to go. I am really enjoying the 2006 mod and I remember at the time it was released, 2005 was second to none. They seem to take a lot of time and put in more effort with their work.
Quote from Gills4life :HistorX and CTDP06 are the best places to start in my opinion. Both come with their own real feel settings and both try to simulate 2 completely different types and eras of the sport.

CTDP is hopeless, its the mod ive found which most suffers from the unrecoverable spin that has always plagued rfactor. get slightly out of shape at all and you're spinning, its impossible.
Quote from DeKo :CTDP is hopeless, its the mod ive found which most suffers from the unrecoverable spin that has always plagued rfactor. get slightly out of shape at all and you're spinning, its impossible.

CTDP 2005 has this problem yes, but CTDP 2006 doesn't. 06 has the best feel out of all the modern F1 mods I have found.
Quote from Gills4life :CTDP 2005 has this problem yes, but CTDP 2006 doesn't. 06 has the best feel out of all the modern F1 mods I have found.

I just can't drive any F1 games based on 98-08. CANNOT stand the grooved tyres. Also they ran with traction control in and 06 (and many other years) which also really irked me and stops me enjoying the mod. While I still watch F1 I'm not a huge fan of the cars, although things are a little better this year with the return of slicks, banning of TC and removal of all those ugly wingless stuck on all over the place.
anyone tried out World Sportscar 1970 yet? I really looking forward to drive these cars, but i just don't have the time this week to do that. i love the era.

http://www.virtualr.net/world-sportscar-1970-10-released/

seems like many are complaining about the models while the developers claim that the models are low poly on purpose (understandable with 130 cars in this mod / over 30 models)
they should have released a low poly, and a more detailed version of the game.
don't have the full mod but the holiday preview mod is pretty low poly, low poly alone isn't a big problem but the modelling isn't the best either (kudos for them showing a lot wireframe screenies though)

Stink to historiX cos I am really only interested in the slower cars.
Quote from Fetzo :anyone tried out World Sportscar 1970 yet? I really looking forward to drive these cars, but i just don't have the time this week to do that. i love the era.

http://www.virtualr.net/world-sportscar-1970-10-released/

seems like many are complaining about the models while the developers claim that the models are low poly on purpose (understandable with 130 cars in this mod / over 30 models)

Downloaded, installed and played this mod. It certainly isn't the most good looking mod, but good mod it still is.

I just fell in love with the Matra Simca MS650, it's V12 just sounds so beautiful. And overall in this mod the sounds are really good.

For me the Porsche 911 feels really weird though, not realistic at all. But faster cars handle in a very believable way. Feedback from the steering wheel is good too, tho in very low speed the wheel shakes in a weird manner, but that's not a biggie.
Quote from Niels Heusinkveld :I really don't understand how people can't control oversteer in rFactor.. with certain cars.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAV-kehHrU8 It can even be used to go quickishly. :P

Yeah, I don't get that either. I find the cars in the HistorX mod to be very controllable. I just love sliding those classic muscle cars around, it's such a blast. And in some cases it's even necessary if you want to be fast, indeed Powersliding FTW!
Quote from Niels Heusinkveld :I really don't understand how people can't control oversteer in rFactor.. with certain cars.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAV-kehHrU8 It can even be used to go quickishly. :P

There's video of far more extravagant 'sliding' around Dijon than that in standard GTL. I've had cars completely sideways all around there but it doesn't address the problem that I alluded to in my previous post.

Any chance of answering my question about your mod therein BTW?

Also, it's quite easy to catch slides (in GTL and I assume rfactor) when the front wheels are onto grass or rumble strip. They become recoverable then. And for some reason, you can contrive long slides in certain places but spin out even at 20 mph when it happens unexpectedly. With your C6 around Brands, I had to be incredible gentle with acceleration in some places or I'd just (apparently) drive off the track like an idiot. Couldn't catch it even though I anticipated it might happen. Something is not right somewhere, and I suspect it's the core ISI physics.
DOH! one of my friend want convert LFS tracks to Rfactor to compare whats game is better .
Quote from Postman Pat :I'd assumed that physics was experimental. Will give it a try.

Regarding the C6 version on rFactorcentral: I take it that that physics is improved since 2007 when the Brands Hatch hotlaps were done? - Because I was nearly half a second faster than the fastest using the default setup and fairly leisurely.

Lot of fun to drive the C6 and my favourite out of the few rFactor mods I've tried, but to be honest, to me it (the rfactorcentral version) still suffers with the ISI issue of the rear getting away and not correcting properly with countersteer. I end up making the usual stabbing overcorrections to catch it and then straightening up quickly before the snap-back (I'm on G25 with the right settings btw). The part of the ISI problem to me is that the snap-back happens without the initial lateral sliding motion slowing down properly first, which logically ought to happen before the rear wheels bite again surely? It's as though just as you notice the countersteer isn't doing what it should do, and you give more, the bugger snaps back the opposite way completely unexpectedly. Bloody annoying. Is that intrinsically incurable with the core physics?

There is indeed something that makes certain people unable to get anywhere with rFactor, and I can't put my finger on it. A video doesn't tell all that much, the Corvette one I posted wasn't so much about going sideways; its what you can't see: how the combination of throttle and opposite lock balance it, and this was actually a fastish lap, except for one or two corners.

When I started doing rfactor modding I had exactly the same problem, back steps out, opposite lock, and then very critical timing.. unwind the opposite lock 0.1 second too late and you tankslap the other way..

I still have that, but only with the fastest single seaters, i.e. GP2 or F1. To me, the Corvette C6 and historX are quite lazy in their movement and I got the hang of the throttle/steering balancing act. But, plenty of people keep snap/spin/dying when they get sideways, which can't just be driving skills..

I can't drive like this with GTL because gas / lifting both seem to increase the back end slide, instead of slight lifting coupled with a bit of extra opposite lock reducing the slide. I feel a huge difference between one of my cars which I can drive sideways, with what feels like a fairly realistic balancing of opposite lock and modulating power.

One difference is for sure that my mods tend to have lateral grip staying close to 100% even after you've reached peak slip angle. So when the back slides out, you certainly don't loose lots of lateral grip purely because of the slip angle you're at. You do loose some lateral grip if you add power, which is what it should be like, but lifting slightly restores lateral grip even if you're at 25 degrees slip angle. Its the timing of the 'return' steering that is hard, especially in lighter cars where as said I have exactly the same problem (F1 / GP2)

The rFactor central Corvette c6 version hasn't got the nicest tires though. It is know that ISI's force combining isn't the best, though neither is LFS's. This does influence part of the oversteer / catching 'sudden' ness but that might still not explain why some people spin 10x a lap and some drive 10 laps at 150% of the limit.

I do like to learn a bit more about why certain people can't get going in rFactor. In fact I'll start a thread about that in the off topic section.. I need some volunteers to work with.
mmm thats odd Niels. because i use DFP on 900 degrees with every mod and when even in the Cart cars and F1 09 i can catch slides. Mind me i use no aids (only clutch).
Quote from Niels Heusinkveld : This does influence part of the oversteer / catching 'sudden' ness but that might still not explain why some people spin 10x a lap and some drive 10 laps at 150% of the limit.

Thanks for the reply.
How about this?: a planned drift is manageable, as is backing off the throttle in an unexpected slide. But when keeping your foot in, countersteering alone doesn't correct even gentle power slides as it should do?

I've just watched a racing driver on TV hotlapping a Caterham on a wet track. He's shouting at himself "keep the power on" whilst making very fast steering corrections to keep it straight as the back stepped this way and that on a wet track. I don't think the steering works like that in ISI when the rear lets go -it's almost like the front wheels are sliding too instead of gripping and just the rear flapping around. To me, it doesn't even look right most of the time. More like the car is floating, moving about it's middle. Otherwise, I'd be tempted to say it's just lack of seat of pants feel and slow sim steering wheels. I think most ISI powersliding videos are just as much 4-wheel drifting, although people like to point the front wheels in the direction they're going and kid themselves they're steering it.
Quote from Postman Pat :Thanks for the reply.
I think most ISI powersliding videos are just as much 4-wheel drifting, although people like to point the front wheels in the direction they're going and kid themselves they're steering it.

You described it better than I have managed. Check this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQmrUkJJj58 which is just very very odd, perfect video backup of ''The ISI Phenomenom'' or to be more accurate, the "GTL / GTR / EVO / 90% of rFactor mods phenomenom".

in that case, if he's at 30 degrees slip, front wheels pointing straight, he'd spin out if he applied opposite lock as initially this makes the front tires grip MORE. Still this is in great part due to dodgy tire parameters used.

My tires don't do that so much. Force combining is an issue, in real life the rear will naturally want to settle at a higher slip angle as you feed in some throttle. You would expect to see a bit more change of yaw depending on where your right foot is. I guess part is learning how to 'read' (see /hear) the signs in a good rFactor car and have delicate throttle control. With better force combining you'd see just a couple of degrees more yaw, indicating you're starting to wheelspin the rears, whereas in rFactor the cornering force does lower, and yaw increases, but it doesn't stabilize at a higher slip angle first.

That is a reasonable clue being mostly absent. Still, the amount of cornering grip the rear has can be controlled by adding or removing power; you just see a bit less 'wandering' and yaw, giving you less clues and making things a bit sudden..
I can catch slides now with your Z06.

But could you recommend me a track to use with your Corvette other than Nurburgring.
Quote from Postman Pat :

I've just watched a racing driver on TV hotlapping a Caterham on a wet track. He's shouting at himself "keep the power on" whilst making very fast steering corrections to keep it straight as the back stepped this way and that on a wet track. I don't think the steering works like that in ISI when the rear lets go -it's almost like the front wheels are sliding too instead of gripping and just the rear flapping around.

Quite funny as just minute ago I had a blast in rF, driving a Caterham around Nordschleife. Can't really agree about rF having this problem, most of the time I was exiting corners I pretty much had the power on consantly and just made few quick steering maneuvers to keep the back end in the road. Had a good grip in front tires but when I start accelerating out of corner the back tries to slide but it is a very manageable slide.

This also is my style with many other mods what have good physics. For example the HistoriX Ford GT40 is a nice challenge around the "green hell" but at the same time I can keep the back end from overtaking me by just making fast corrections.
The caterham does have that regard nailed, no matter in the arcademy with poorer tires, or the R500, there's very minimal snap back and you can really throw it around.

Niels I would like to take part in your experiement, however my timezone probably won't allow it, would love to check out any new physics changes remotely though.
Quote from G!NhO :I can catch slides now with your Z06.

But could you recommend me a track to use with your Corvette other than Nurburgring.

Putnam Park has a nice little trackday feel to it with the Niels's corvette mod and alot nice corners to slide in as well as Topeka.
add Oran park Lidar, and of course bathrust to the mix.
Goldenport is a nice shortish track. I also like the GTL conversions. Essential is also to get rid of the insane.. or insine.. sine wave bumps on most tracks, that often ruins the handling.

The Nordschleife is a very difficult track to drive on, some of the cambers and humps are a bit sudden, upsetting the car a bit much. The GTR Evo conversion is a bit better but certainly has its moments of inaccuracy. More often than not its wrong tracks (sine bumps + incorrect cambers etc) that make a car harder to drive than it should.

Of course running a 100% smooth version of a track like Suzuka (GP4 conversion + sine wave changes) is different to a track like the Ring, but it is obvious that not all tracks are well made; often being conversions of what never was very good for F1 challenge in the first place..

GTL tracks at least try some bumps in the polygons, not in sine waves (after you turn the sine waves mostly off..) which can be a better challenge. There is SO MUCH available for rFactor but actually so little thats any good. :S
Quote from Sueycide_FD :Putnam Park has a nice little trackday feel to it with the Niels's corvette mod and alot nice corners to slide in as well as Topeka.

ok, thanks.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG