The online racing simulator
Quote from Ikaponthus :I guess I'll be the firt to say that the ISI rFactor cars aren't that bad at all.

I don't know what people are going on about. They're much more realistic than the cars in pretty much any other racing "sim" apart from LFS. Certainly more realistic than the cars in GTR2 anyway.

I even think the rFactor stock-cars are more realistic than those in NR2003, with the exception of the damage model. Yeah go and flame away. But "hard" doesn't mean "real". I'm the first to admit the obvious: I've never really driven a NASCAR. But with what experience I do have driving, racing and watching racing (whatever that counts for), I think that the ISI stockcar in rFactor feels more realistic than those in the much vaunted Papyrus sim.

To me LFS intuatively feels the most authentic, but rFactor isn't as far behind as most people seem to think.

I say again: the stock ISI cars are crap.

You must be using stock FFB with those cars, because if you switch to RealFeel when driving ISI cars... Well, they're undrivable with RealFeel. The FFB is all wrong and not even left/right symmetric! If a car doesn't work with RealFeel then it has wrong suspension; if a car has wrong suspension then it's crap. A pure physical FFB (RealFeel or LFS) can tell you that much. It's the beauty of simplicity.
im lovin rfactor! even offline! 60cars or trucks on the nurburgring is amazing!!!
Quote from bunder9999 :that's actually kinda dumb... i mean, if the game is being played by the public, it's hardly an alpha, nor a beta... you can consider it a beta if you go by google's definition, but they got it wrong too...

lfs needs a rename.

edit: for the record, i saw what scawen said we'd need to bring s2 out of alpha, and from the list he posted, we're only half way there.

Must've read over that renaming part then, my bad.
However, my opinion is that i can still be alpha, even if it's played by the public.
Well, let's not start this discussion, i'll probaly end up being wrong after all.
Quote from UnknownMaster21 :I have tried many car/driving simulator games but I like only these:

Live For Speed
Gran Turismo 1-4 and 5P
Burnout 3: Takedown
TrackMania Nations
Need For Speed II SE

Of Course, LFS is Number #1 with Gran Turismo for me .
Burnout 3 and TMN are just for fun
One of the greatest Need For Speed games EVER! II and II SE.
New NFS Sucks greatly but this one, NFSIISE is one for me =)

But back on main: LFS vs rFactor = 96 - 4

Yeah.. GT3 and GT5P are pretty good all round sims. LFS is obviously there rightfully, but the others are arcade racers. But all bloody good games.
I feel like some credit needs to be given to the Virtua-Lemans guys, the tracks they do for rFactor really are top notch. Mid-Ohio, Lemans, etc., are all awesome tracks to drive the Vette on. I can't use the Historic-X mod, or whatever it's called, as it sounds like you need a GPL disc, which I don't have.

That being said, even with the good mods in rFactor, the back of every car I've tried just acts like it's in another dimension most of the time. I can't go more than 30mph around T1 at Monaco without spinning. I can't save slides 1 degree past the limit. Worst of all, I CAN save slides by steering the wrong direction. Car straightens right out...

I didn't write it off immediately either, I've had it installed for over a year. I've tried every combo of settings, every value in Real Feel tweaked over and over, and nothing changes the fact that the ISI engine sucks, and guys like Niels have done their best with it, but they can only do so much...

Edit: And what's up with night racing being unplayable with more than a few cars? I can get 200+fps during the day, but a field full of headlights at night brings my system to a crawl.
yeah night lights kill, but the rest is amazing to drive! its
1) GT5P
2) LFS
3)Rfactor
4)GTR-Evo
Quote from titanLS :
That being said, even with the good mods in rFactor, the back of every car I've tried just acts like it's in another dimension most of the time. I can't go more than 30mph around T1 at Monaco without spinning. I can't save slides 1 degree past the limit. Worst of all, I CAN save slides by steering the wrong direction. Car straightens right out...

I don't have these problems, even with the stock ISI cars. In fact, I can't agree with you at all. It's the fact that the rear end is controllable and feels "in contact with the road" that I think rFactor is a worthy sim. Compared to most other psuedo-sims where, as you say, the car just spins out once it looses any traction at all.
Quote from chavm481 :yeah night lights kill, but the rest is amazing to drive! its
1) GT5P
2) LFS
3)Rfactor
4)GTR-Evo

GT5P and GTR-Evo are not simulators. They're just "games". Not that there's anything wrong with that though, just drawing a line in the sand.
then lfs can be a arcade game if gt5 is a "game"
Get a clue.

Have you driven any of the other GT games? Any computer program where you can effectively and competitively drive a pure bred racing car with a playstation gamepad is NOT a "simulation". And that includes Live For Speed.

How have you played GT5P yet anyway? I thought it hasn't even been released yet. I'm basing my opinion on all the other Gran Turismo games which are PURE arcade. More like Need For Speed than a proper sim.
Quote from Ikaponthus :How have you played GT5P yet anyway? I thought it hasn't even been released yet. I'm basing my opinion on all the other Gran Turismo games which are PURE arcade. More like Need For Speed than a proper sim.

prologue has been out for a while now... the full gt5 with simulation mode is due for christmas 09 supposedly... but it's been pushed back so many times...
Quote from Ikaponthus :
How have you played GT5P yet anyway? I thought it hasn't even been released yet. I'm basing my opinion on all the other Gran Turismo games which are PURE arcade. More like Need For Speed than a proper sim.

I lol'd. GT5P is actually pretty good, all considered. Not the best, but it's better than rFactor imo.
Quote from Ikaponthus :Get a clue.

Have you driven any of the other GT games? Any computer program where you can effectively and competitively drive a pure bred racing car with a playstation gamepad is NOT a "simulation". And that includes Live For Speed.

Might be, but GT5 will be one of the greatest games ever...I could say:

Bye Bye Forza
Bye Bye GTR
Bye Bye Project Torque
Bye Bye rFactor
Bye Bye Need For Speed
Bye Bye Racer
Bye Bye Live For Speed
Bye...huh? HELL NO Bye Bye Live For Speed
#65 - Byku
Naah... i dont believe that. Live for Speed and Iracing will still be top in it's classes(physics). GT5 surely will be beautifull racing game with awesome cars, but as a PURE SIMULATION it will fail. The best simulation on console... yeap... i might agree(of course Forza 3 is coming also , so the battle will begin later).
Quote from zeugnimod :2:30 is even better. From outside view.

OMFG... You're right :O

Add: I won't call GT realistic... if you can't drive that damn F1 off the cliff, since theres nothing but a strip of cloth (?) to prevent cars from going off the track. Sometimes, theres an invisible forcefield blocking your car :S weird.
Quote from Nitrous13270 :Add: I won't call GT realistic... if you can't drive that damn F1 off the cliff, since theres nothing but a strip of cloth (?) to prevent cars from going off the track. Sometimes, theres an invisible forcefield blocking your car :S weird.

most games do that to keep you from falling outside the mapped regions of the track... hence why we fall through the ground on AU-something.

edit: the skidpad... the whole "drive near the fence and watch your car tumble into oblivion" bug. hehe
Hey, at least LFS uses a reasonable barrier (a wooden fence). GP5P uses a piece of cloth :S
#71 - STF
Quote from Nitrous13270 :I won't say GT5P is realistic until they fix this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D21sPwj5nI (1:27 - 1:33)

Modern F1 + mountain course + jump. wtf.

I really get the impression that a lot of the people in this thread don't even have their driver's licence yet. Maybe I'm too old for this. I probably should just dish out for iRacing and go hang with the "hardcore" gang.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :I lol'd. GT5P is actually pretty good, all considered. Not the best, but it's better than rFactor imo.

You "lol'd"?? wtf does that mean? Whatever mate. Have you ever seen that movie with Vin Diesel? Most realistic racing movie I've ever seen. All LFS needs is more hardcore drifting action, some bad-ass speakers and twinkly lights under the car, then it would be the sweetest, most bAdaSs rAcIng sIm ArOUnd. Yo keep it real dog.
Quote from Ikaponthus :I really get the impression that a lot of the people in this thread don't even have their driver's licence yet. Maybe I'm too old for this.

That's how the forum works. Though the average age of licensed drivers is around 27 IIRC.

OTOH I find the kids more bearable than the adepts of the Church of Kaemmer that use to disguise as hardcore simmers, those older chaps are more pathetic too, you would expect them to have learned something over the years

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG