The online racing simulator
Quote from obsolum :You're absolutely right

Lets hope that the new tyre model and physics updates move LFS back into the realm of HistorX/nKPro/iRacing for feel, though without significant updates to the FFB and track surfaces i fear it's not going to be even close

..and on a side note.... AWESOME HistorX racing tonight on the FinnglishRacing server That was a complete blast. Roll on next Friday!
Quote from The Moose :Lets hope that the new tyre model and physics updates move LFS back into the realm of HistorX/nKPro/iRacing for feel, though without significant updates to the FFB and track surfaces i fear it's not going to be even close

Yep, that's what I was thinking, too. Still, better tyre physics is at least a step in the right direction

Quote from The Moose :
..and on a side note.... AWESOME HistorX racing tonight on the FinnglishRacing server That was a complete blast. Roll on next Friday!

Aye, we had a very good turn out yesterday. I didn't really have that much close racing - mainly due to cockups on my part - but I had a great time nonetheless. My girlfriend wasn't so happy that I spent the entire evening on the computer, though, so I'll have to make up for that tonight which means I won't be racing

Oh, and I'm looking forward to a vid of the action between you and Mark, Stu
Quote from Toddshooter :What you need to do is pop on our vent channel one night and we/ Boogle can walk you through setting it up. He is very good at it:-) I haven't talked to him yet but I'm sure he will do it no problem.If you have someone to talk you through it it only takes a few minutes.

If you want our vent info Sparky just let me know and I'll PM you.

Thank you Todd, I apreciate the offer, I might take you up on that, at some time as I really do want to keep trying to make this game feel playable, and not just keep giving up on it.

SD.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VpQXweGBOU

Videos are not a good way to show something as you have to drive it, but I'm doing a few LMP1 cars for a different mod, solving what was sort of an aero bug, this works a treat. It is very drivable as you can see..

Of course you wouldn't drive like this if you plan to:
- stay alive
- keep your 'job' as a race car driver

but life over the limit is essential, the car invites you to find the limit and you can have a bit of a twitch and a slide, both on and off power, as an indication that you're just at or beyond the limit. None of that weird understeery driving just to avoid crashing.

When you look at telemetry its also quite different. You can actually calculate under and oversteer and when I see rFactor videos I pretty much always see the mathematic understeer. With my LMP1 car, depending on brake bias and coast diff, you can certainly get some oversteer easily into corners. Out of slow corners you can also keep the power on as you correct a slide, such as out of the first chicane at Monza, or the last turn at Laguna Seca etc.

Also at higher speed though, now that I fixed what was probably an error in aero, the balance is nice, even in 3rd and sometimes 4th gear things can sometimes go into mathematical oversteer, which is a bit more hairy of course but often you can keep your foot in and just apply some opposite lock..

I tend to post these exagerated videos to prove a point that rFactor isn't just 'understeer or die' if you treat its physics engine with ..umm physics
Handling looks sweet as
Nice Niels!!
Looks great Niels!!

With your next video I request you change the music. I was waiting for Ron Jeremy to walk on set the whole time I was watching that one

Keep up the amazing work M8. Every time I load up HistorX MOD I have a blast like no other!!

Thank you Todd
I came.

and when can I tap that ass of the supra?
Quote from JJ72 :I came.

and when can I tap that ass of the supra?

Right now
I've only recently come across both rFactor and LFS... for what very little it's worth, here's my experiences.

rFactor;

* has tonnes of mods, most of which are crap
* has tonnes of mods, some of which give you a whole new game to play with...
- the Historix mod is brilliant, great physics, great car selection
- CTDP F1 mod is the best f1 racing you can have... screaming around Albert Park in a McLarens has never felt so tight
- Touring Car Legends mod is outstanding, nothing beats thrashing Bathurst's Big Dipper in a Holden

Live for Speed;

* realistic clutch!
* realistic clutch!
* feels like an improved version of GTR5p, devs have done an excellent job of modelling the true physics of a modern car
* realistic engine/gearbox damage! Unlike rFactor, I get punished for driving like a tool rather than just loosening my handling on the 25th lap
* not anywhere near enough cars or tracks, haven't read the forum enough but am assuming the community is not mod-friendly?

rFactor wins only by virtue of the massive modding community out in support of it, but it's a cheap win... because LFS is FAR more realistic and satisfying when you complete a race.

All up, couldn't do without either of them and until something comes along (like rFactor 2) that tops both I'll keep on spinning my wheels

EDIT: Just read up the page... not sure what the policy is on external links here, but I'm in a solid league with XGN (Xtreme Gamers Network) in Australia. Wednesday night alternates between Touring Car Legends and Historix and Thursday is the Porsche Carerra Cup. Brilliant league with some top-class drivers.

NB: to play the historix mod you need the GTR 2 disc (it's the modders way of saying thanks to the old SimBin team as they've taken a lot of the aesthetics from the GTR2 release).
Quote from DarkMellie :

NB: to play the historix mod you need the GTR 2 disc (it's the modders way of saying thanks to the old SimBin team as they've taken a lot of the aesthetics from the GTR2 release).

Sorry don't mean to knit-pick, but it's the GTL disc that you need.
Quote from DarkMellie : (it's the modders way of saying thanks to the old SimBin team as they've taken a lot of the aesthetics from the GTR2 release).

It's the modders' way of not being sued for releasing other people's intellectual property for free
I'd like to thank me for my input and any valid points I may have made.

hehe

I've started playing Historix with the full clutch and gated shifter (new G25 FTW) and it's just an absolute joy to drive, even better than before.
After racing on lfs for a year and getting very sick of the same cars and same tracks and just finding the game to limited in what you could do, of course ill give acknowledgement that yes it is fun but not as fun as rfactor. There are hundreds of cars and thousands of tracks, yes almost all of them are real life ones. not fictional tracks. They even go into laser scanning and gps data for making some of the tracks. as for the rally in lfs what a let down, nothing is better than jumping in a WCORRA or Vorra buggies or a Ken block WRX and belting them up 26kms of pikes peak or any of the other countless full rally tracks they got.

Most of the mods that I have driven in have been very realistic. Though I am in a league theat the admins carefully select the mods before we do a race season. we are competing in a closed version of the ILMS mod with the gt2s atm (ferarri 360, 430, M3 gtr, GT40, 996, 997) Has to be some of the closest and high adrenilin racing. in our last season we ran these cars with 40 signups and some tracks you would get top 20 cars in qualifying less than a second between 1-20.

This is me racing in a 997 for a hot lap round mills metropark long. Qual aint great but gives u an idea of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Moc_Kd_XCvM

This is a 430 ferarri round Suzuaka

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT-0zgcIkU8

and this is what a round is like in our league

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbmuWdCZcuM&feature=fvsr

Of course dont take the graphics of the replays as the actual graphics of what the game will look like on your computer.
Only thing I like about rFactor is that you can feel your car there, all the bumps and turns which you don't have in LFS.
Usually though when you can feel the bumps in rFactor, it is because they are horribly overdone. A great part in making rFactor better is getting rid of most of the silly sine wave bump patterns!
Quote from exspeed :Only thing I like about rFactor is that you can feel your car there, all the bumps and turns which you don't have in LFS.

There is a thing that makes the ffb in lfs more likfe rfactor, it is in misc addons if i am right.
Quote from Niels Heusinkveld :the silly sine wave bump patterns

Urgh... the bane of ISI sims. Would it have been so hard to have random bumps instead of the stupid sine waves?
I'm pretty noobish with rFactor, only got it last week. Got the F1 RFT 2009 mod which seems to be very good. Anyone know how to get the proper F1 display thingy, showing throttle, brake and rev counter as irl? I think/know I have to download some mod or application but I've no idea what. Anyone nudge me in the right direction please?
Quote from Carnage_Inspector :After racing on lfs for a year and getting very sick of the same cars and same tracks

Oh how much I understand you
I often posted about how it is boring to drive the same few tracks in the same few cars.
Quote from Carnage_Inspector :
yes it is fun but not as fun as rfactor.

Here is my experience with rFactor.
At first it was quite interesting, the graphics though I prefer in LFS its more realistic IMHO.
A lot of cars and tracks its plus for rFactor.

But when I installed 30 Gigs of cars and tracks which were rated as totally awesome and you know what.
Only few mods are really good almost every car is behave almost the same.
Of course there is LFS is spoiled fun a little for me because when ever i made turn in rFactor i couldn't get pas the fact that in lfs you feel the suspension tyres and the car is more live like.
So basically it ends up in comparing physics in rFactor and LFS and LFS kinda pointing all the flaws in physics of rFactor.

In rFactor all cars have somehow very stiff suspension and a lot of cars are drive just like on the rails, like they have no mass.
I uninstalled it because i find it not realistic enough like LFS and somehow I can afford 30 gigs of HDD but I felted like it kinda wasted space, a lots of mods are not done really well when it comes to physics.
Tracks thought are made rather well.
Quote from exspeed :Only thing I like about rFactor is that you can feel your car there, all the bumps and turns which you don't have in LFS.

I think we don't play to same game... in rFactor I feel the same in every car, one with more power or handling others with less... In LFS you can feel every car are different, also you can feel better when are understeering or oversteering. But if you want to say that you feel bumps in your wheel... Try your real car and try to feel the bumps only in your wheel, you will understand that LFS is in correct realistic way

And the most important thing to me about rFactor vs LFS, is rFactor it is not fun (every car are the same), and RL is fun to run fast... so rFactor it is not a valid point to me.

Only one thing I envy the fans of rFactor, they can create tracks themselves.
Quote from Napalm Candy :
Only one thing I envy the fans of rFactor, they can create tracks themselves.

If devs would provide possibility to mod LFS for S3 users I would buy it right now.
The game with physics like in LFS and open for moding it would be Fg Great
The giant plus about rFactor is almost every track and car I knew irl I could find in game.
My dream come true at Nurburgring nordshleife and mod which add touring cars from 1984-1990
To bad physics was still kinda weird...

Rfactor vs LFS ... pretty impressive
(526 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG