The online racing simulator
Quote from IlGuercio :
Rfactor has good mods too,enduracers one is damn good,just stay away from the home-made crap and you will be ok.

I find it funny that you list Enduracers as "a damn good one" while an experienced and acknowledged rFactor modder says its physics are nowhere realistic
For those of us who 1) don't made ultra-realistic mods for rfactor and 2) don't have a degree in physics, the criteria for a good mod is different. I haven't tried enduracers, but I like a few rfactor mods that haven't been mentioned in the "holy grail" category.

I look for fairly basic realism in a sim/mod. If the car pretty much reacts like I would expect a car to given my input and the environment it's in, that's ok with me. There's a little more depth to it than that. I want to see tires and brakes heat and cool in a logical way. I want setup changes to make sense. Call it "plausible-ism" instead of realism. I can appreciate people who like to get down to the smallest detail, but it's not that important to me. I realize that may earn me a flogging in the LFS community.
Quote from Danke :For those of us who 1) don't made ultra-realistic mods for rfactor and 2) don't have a degree in physics, the criteria for a good mod is different. I haven't tried enduracers, but I like a few rfactor mods that haven't been mentioned in the "holy grail" category.

I look for fairly basic realism in a sim/mod. If the car pretty much reacts like I would expect a car to given my input and the environment it's in, that's ok with me. There's a little more depth to it than that. I want to see tires and brakes heat and cool in a logical way. I want setup changes to make sense. Call it "plausible-ism" instead of realism. I can appreciate people who like to get down to the smallest detail, but it's not that important to me. I realize that may earn me a flogging in the LFS community.

I understand where you're coming from. And indeed there is a lot more to simming than precisely how accurate the physical modelling is. IMO there's two critical components to a sim / mod:

(1) the underlaying physics
(2) how the car's behaviour is conveyed to you as a driver, through sound, force feedback +++

If (2) is missing or bad it doesn't really matter how good (1) is, because you can't tell what the car is up to anyway. But if (2) is superb it can, to a certain extent, make up for lacking physics (1). This is becuase how "good" a sim feels depends strongly on (2). If this is done properly it gives you the feeling of control.

So, mods which are somewhat lacking in the physics department can still feel very satisfactory to drive because (2) is done well.

I could go on to draw parallels between different sims / mods and how they compare in this respect, but I'll leave that for later.
Quote from Danke :For those of us who 1) don't made ultra-realistic mods for rfactor and 2) don't have a degree in physics, the criteria for a good mod is different. I haven't tried enduracers, but I like a few rfactor mods that haven't been mentioned in the "holy grail" category.

I'm with ya on this one Totally how I feel about it too.
People who got rFactor should really try out Enduracers mod.
Its really well made what i can tell for 1h play.
Alltough i still hate the fact that i dont have the same smoothnes on car control as i do in LFS
but overall its n1 mod in rFactor.
It will likely make those who always accused rFactor of being a bit 'snap/spin/die/uninstall' have a good reason to do just that though!
Quote from Niels Heusinkveld :It will likely make those who always accused rFactor of being a bit 'snap/spin/die/uninstall' have a good reason to do just that though!

Exactly.

It's just another in a long line of mods that you can see a huge amount of time and effort has gone into, only for it to fail at the crucial point...tyres.

What the hell were they thinking?

Go and put 'em straight Niels!
Yeah the point is not so much that I don't want people to enjoy the Enduracers mod, but LFS main strength that cars don't kill you instantly beyond the limit, which is exactly the weak point of most rfactor mods.

LFS vs Enduracers is really really far apart, very far indeed. LFS is better. Much better.
Some day we will have a le mans prototype car. Or not
The mod feels very nice and the sounds are very good indeed.
i bought rfactor just for the historix mod & cant find anywhere to race it.

where are the historix leagues/races, who runs them?

LFS - 1 Rfactor - 0
Dead Men Racing run it. Visit our forum to find out more.
Quote from BlueFlame :The mod feels very nice and the sounds are very good indeed.

Please be more specific! what mod are you talking about ?

Niels one? or the Enduracers? or somthing completely different?

-------------------------------------------

I have yet to find a mod that works properly, although I have managed to get the historyx mod installed and now it starts with the oldie pictures etc.

I am still having problems though graphics look very cartoony and "low res" looking skins, I am using a KB that has not got the number pad so cannot adjust any realfeel settings, so it still feels bad and looks wrong.

Its such a difference from LFS that works in high res almost off the bat, seems to me like with Rfactor+mod you need to know how to adjust every little detail in config files etc, I don't have the time for all this, I just want to race somthing at least partially realistic

Too much effort and expendature for me with little return as yet, still very dissapointed.

SD.
Endurance series mod mod feels almost perfect to me, It is a little too floaty though for my liking, a bit like driving the XRG in LFS. Sounds and visuals are perfect though, as you should expect from Enduracers. TBH i don't really give a shit about how much camber i can use blah blah blah, i don't do the whole maths thing when i setup a car, purely feel.
Quote from anttt69 :i bought rfactor just for the historix mod & cant find anywhere to race it.

where are the historix leagues/races, who runs them?

LFS - 1 Rfactor - 0

Like I've said many times before, there is almost no online racing to be found for the HistorX mod outside of organized leagues.

There are two leagues running at Raceconnect; the GT League and the TC League. You can check those out if you're interested in some organized racing. I signed up for them a while ago but I found the site and everything else to be so unclear and confusing and I couldn't make it to the server in time because I had no clue which server to look for. rFactor's buggy as **** server browser had a large part in that. I was so frustrated I immediately had my account at RaceConnect cancelled.

Like Gnomie said, someone over at Dead Men Racing runs an event on Friday evenings so we always get together then, although I must say that the turnout for the last couple of weeks hasn't really been all that. Look for the FinnglishRacing server in the server browser on Friday evenings. Or manually enter Finnglish.gotdns.com.

Quote from SparkyDave :Please be more specific! what mod are you talking about ?

He was talking about the Enduracers mod

Quote from SparkyDave :
Its such a difference from LFS that works in high res almost off the bat, seems to me like with Rfactor+mod you need to know how to adjust every little detail in config files etc, I don't have the time for all this, I just want to race somthing at least partially realistic

Too much effort and expendature for me with little return as yet, still very dissapointed.

SD.

You're absolutely right, there's a shitload of fiddling that you can do to tweak a ton of things, but I gotta say that it worked for me pretty much straight out of the box. It seems that it works well straight away for some people while it doesn't work at all for others

Nothing beats LFS in the pick up and play department, that's a fact
Quote from SparkyDave :Its such a difference from LFS that works in high res almost off the bat, seems to me like with Rfactor+mod you need to know how to adjust every little detail in config files etc, I don't have the time for all this, I just want to race somthing at least partially realistic

This is exactly why I hope LFS never has public modding. We might not have much content, but at least it all works perfectly, and all has hi-res textures
Quote from BenjiMC :Endurance series mod mod feels almost perfect to me, It is a little too floaty though for my liking, a bit like driving the XRG in LFS. Sounds and visuals are perfect though, as you should expect from Enduracers. TBH i don't really give a shit about how much camber i can use blah blah blah, i don't do the whole maths thing when i setup a car, purely feel.

apparently, you're in the majority with not caring about accurate tire models and suspension setups.
I think everyone has tried formula-1 cars on both LFS and rFactor and from my personal point of view - they are drastically different. BF1 in LFS is more easy to control it seems that it has way too much grip. F-1 addons in rFactor feels more realistic. What do you think about it?
Its the age old (probably older) debate of feel vs realism. Feel is subjective, and many simracers think real drivers are gods and real cars are very hard to drive. This is mostly not true, though getting pole position is hard even in a VW Jetta Diesel..

If you have a remote sign of talent, cars should be fairly easy to drive a few secs off the pole time. Plenty of simracers do not have a remote sign of talent though, but plenty of them do have some.. So when talent is a big mixed bag, plus expectations of what is realistic are a mixed bag, you get huge opposites like LFS and most rFactor mods still being liked by the extremes in the simracing population..
I think people imagine what it's like to drive their road car at road speeds (or even fast road speeds), and then multiply the feeling by 4 or whatever to know what driving an F1 car must be like.

But race cars are actually not like that at all. They don't have wallowy bodyroll, or mushy brake pedals, or woolly steering, or uncomfortable seats or nasty seating positions etc etc. They are designed quite carefully to be good at racing. Hence they have direct steering with 1000 times more feedback than the finest road car on sale today - a Caterham is positively rubbery in comparison. You'd struggle to move a brake pedal. The seats are made to suit one driver, and hence are fantastically comfortable even for long periods (I could sleep in mine quite easily).

You get in a race car and it fits like a glove. Driving them at all is easy (although not stalling is a bit of a challenge at low speeds). Driving them at 90% of [decent club level ] the pace is so easy even your grandma could do it. Driving at 95% is barely a challenge. It's only that last few percent that is difficult.

At Hungary Alguersuari was berated for being 3 tenths slower than his team mate. But he'd never gone round a corner in the car until that day. Admittedly he's quite a talent, but still. G-forces aside anyone on this forum could probably get within 5 seconds of the pace in an F1 car within 10 laps. Even Hammond would have managed it if he hadn't been driving on the Stowe circuit at Silverstone which is only good for slow sports like cycling or go-karts.

Racing cars are, quite simply, easy to drive. And I say that as a talentless example.
Well, in my opinion, if a car is easy to drive, you're not driving fast enough, and if you are beating other drivers doing wr's in other cars, then the car must be significantly at an advantage.
I was about to add ''Look, even Tristan manages to not crash every now and then!'' but I didn't.. well, I just did
Quote from SparkyDave :Please be more specific! what mod are you talking about ?

-------------------------------------------

I have yet to find a mod that works properly, although I have managed to get the historyx mod installed and now it starts with the oldie pictures etc.

I am still having problems though graphics look very cartoony and "low res" looking skins, I am using a KB that has not got the number pad so cannot adjust any realfeel settings, so it still feels bad and looks wrong.

SD.

What you need to do is pop on our vent channel one night and we/ Boogle can walk you through setting it up. He is very good at it:-) I haven't talked to him yet but I'm sure he will do it no problem.If you have someone to talk you through it it only takes a few minutes.

Sorry to say this here but the HistoriX Mod when set up properly feels way better than LFS. When you come back to LFS it feels dead. No bumps, wheel pull, no lightening of wheel in understeer situations.
If we could get some dedicated racers that are setup with this MOD we would run a league. But we need to have a good user base first.

If you want our vent info Sparky just let me know and I'll PM you.
Quote from Toddshooter :
Sorry to say this here but the HistoriX Mod when set up properly feels way better than LFS. When you come back to LFS it feels dead.

There's no need to be sorry for telling the simple truth, Todd You're absolutely right

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG