The GTA IV thread
(1843 posts, started )
Quote from batteryy :maybe the fact that atleast the normal xbox cant run it perfectly.(not sure about elite or any else version) for me in some points the fps gets so low its hard to play. for example drive some of the briges at night. or get alot of cop cars behind you and blow them all up

I have a standard xbox and it runs like a charm
Quote from CSU1 :I have a standard xbox and it runs like a charm

then i quess my xbox is crap or it could be the cd, and thats what i think it is. when i bought it i had to install it to xbox hd so it wont crash once every hour so there might be some problems with it
Quote from batteryy :then i quess my xbox is crap or it could be the cd, and thats what i think it is. when i bought it i had to install it to xbox hd so it wont crash once every hour so there might be some problems with it

have you tried the fan add-on?, the xbox gets very hot in confined spaces.

I've got an air purifier and 6" flexi-duct hooked up to mine
Here's a free tip: If you have dual core, you HAVE to use Vista64. I've been switching between XP and Vista64 and although for everyday noobery XP is better, GTA4 really needs V64 or it just runs like arse, also if you have a sound card, make sure you use it, I pulled mine to throw in my TV card, my mobo comes with it's own sound card, but it isn't very powerful, and as a result I get no audio other than background sounds, which is awkward when you're larking about with the Police on your trumpet.
Quote from CSU1 :have you tried the fan add-on?, the xbox gets very hot in confined spaces.

I've got an air purifier and 6" flexi-duct hooked up to mine

so if i smthing like this http://www.vpd.fi/product_deta ... 87&c=55&subid=163 it should work better?. well it might be useful, my xbox really gets a little too hot than i think it should be after long playing
Quote from batteryy :so if i smthing like this http://www.vpd.fi/product_deta ... 87&c=55&subid=163 it should work better?. well it might be useful, my xbox really gets a little too hot than i think it should be after long playing

Hey don't come back here complaining if it doesn't work

...and don't worry about the noise from the add-on fan as a heard of antelope migrating through your room would make less noise than the xbox itself

Really though, imo MS made a huge mistake not educating the general public about the excessive heat produced by the xbox, it is in actual fact very similar to a home PC than a console and needs to kept well ventilated unlike what the masses have done thinking it was like a PS2 or somethin' and sticking it in between their other electronic equipment in a closed cabinet< this would kill any xbox in no time.
...I've just realized that you don't get a reocket firing helicopter after killing all of the pigeons, so I won't waste my time on that one tyvm.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Here's a free tip: If you have dual core, you HAVE to use Vista64. I've been switching between XP and Vista64 and although for everyday noobery XP is better, GTA4 really needs V64 or it just runs like arse, also if you have a sound card, make sure you use it, I pulled mine to throw in my TV card, my mobo comes with it's own sound card, but it isn't very powerful, and as a result I get no audio other than background sounds, which is awkward when you're larking about with the Police on your trumpet.

just installed vista64bit few days ago...gonna give this a try.
/me still prefers XP though

edit...nope, no boost at all.
pretty much same fps.
got a triple core, but i guess that shouldnt matter...
Quote from CSU1 :...I've just realized that you don't get a reocket firing helicopter after killing all of the pigeons, so I won't waste my time on that one tyvm.

You do in the lost and damned.
does anyone know why texture quality cant be set to high?
does max out on medium...hmm.
It's because GTA limits your settings according to your system. IIRC, high texture settings are unlocked if you have at least 1024 mb GPU memory.
strange cause mine lets me run on high with a 512mb 9800gt
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :You do in the lost and damned.

This is something I can buy in the game store or must I be on XBL?(the official site says DL from XBL only)
Quote from CSU1 :This is something I can buy in the game store or must I be on XBL?(the official site says DL from XBL only)

Im pretty sure i've seen it available in gamestores, but i have no idea how it would work.

If you ever did get it though, i would highly reccomend installing it to hardrive. Alot of people (including me) have suffered from it stalling and crashing if your running the game off the CD. Installing it to hard drive.

If im wrong about you being able to buy TLAD from stores, use your internet lead from your PC, and get a free months trial for xbox live gold. Then add a credit or debit card, add some points and download it.
All i can say is isn't it slightly obvious if official site says xbl dl only. You can buy a TLAD points card in shops.
I already used the free gold thingy and don't be on the XboX enough to warrant a subscription plus the only thing I do is fly the choppers so I would only want TLAD for the chopper with rockets

E:

YES Luke, but it seems a bit fcuking stupid why they don't have a CD version for people who don't want to play online?
CSU, have you tryed looking through your games for free trials? My GTA came with a free month trial, along with some other games which had a free 48 trial. Have a butcher through your cases and see if there are any in there.
Or just create a new XBL account and you get a months worth of Gold subscription for free.

Talking of GTA. Nath, go on there in 15 minutes.
Quote from Luke.S :strange cause mine lets me run on high with a 512mb 9800gt

It doesn't limit by memory, it limits by ammount of already used memory. One can set textures to high as long as the other graphical options aren't taking too much memory already, i.e. there is enough free memory for higher textures.
Quote :Your Liberty City adventures will continue this Fall on the Xbox 360, as Rockstar Games has announced Grand Theft Auto: The Ballad of Gay Tony as the game's second downloadable episode.

In contrast to Grand Theft Auto IV's seedy biker gang expansion The Lost and Damned, The Ballad of Gay Tony is said to focus on the glitzy "high-end night life" of Liberty City. The second Xbox 360 exclusive episode will put players in the role of Luis Lopez, confirming previous rumors, as his part-time hoodlum duties are supplemented by full-time work for nightclub impresario Tony "Gay Tony" Prince.

According to the official announcement, "players will struggle with the competing loyalties of family and friends, and with the uncertainty about who is real and who is fake in a world in which everyone has a price."

Grand Theft Auto: The Ballad of Gay Tony is slated to release on Xbox Live this Fall for $19.99 USD or 1600 Microsoft Points.
Rockstar Games announced that the fall-slated The Ballad of Gay Tony and the February-released GTA IV episode The Lost and Damned will be released as a compilation disc for the Xbox 360 this fall.

The disc, entitled Grand Theft Auto: Episodes From Liberty City, will retail for $39.99. Unlike the downloadable versions of each episode, the disc-based Episodes will not require a copy of the original Grand Theft Auto IV to play.

Nice!
Sounds interesting. Got a link?
Quote from Velociround :It doesn't limit by memory, it limits by ammount of already used memory. One can set textures to high as long as the other graphical options aren't taking too much memory already, i.e. there is enough free memory for higher textures.

cant be it either...
ive tried to set everything to the lowest and yet i can still not high quality.
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :cant be it either...
ive tried to set everything to the lowest and yet i can still not high quality.

GTA IV also limits by ammount of RAM. If you have 1GB RAM, it won't let you choose High textures. If you have 2GB RAM, you'll be able to choose High textures. I don't know about 1,5GB RAM or variations of this because I only tested with 1GB and 2GB. I have a 9800GT 512MB, and when I remove one of my two 1GB RAM sticks it doesn't let me use High textures. When I put it back, GTA IV lets me choose High textures.
If it's not that, I don't know what else it could be.

The GTA IV thread
(1843 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG