The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Personally, I think the specracer is the best car in iRacing right now. It's even better than the skippy, imo, and I really loved that one when I still drove it. I'm going to be racing it exclusively on the RC side this season.

Licence wise that's serious down-racing for me, but who cares. I'm A licenced and have really nowhere to go. Pro will not be for me even if I could make it, as I don't want to commit to that and am not competitive in the fast cars anyway. Same reason I'm racing Latemodels on the oval side this season. I was planning to skip those but a half-hearted attempt in the truck last season teached me that I'm not ready for it. The Latemodel I can handle and with my current iRating in ovals I could even be somewhat competitive. I'll see how it goes and maybe next season I'm ready to move up. But I'm in no hurry.

I'm really starting to enjoy iRacing even more now that I'm not trying to grind my way up to somewhere.
I love the SRF really, but the lack of tracks still bugs me. Mind you, I love Jefferson and Laguna, but I'd also love some Infineon

Like Linsen I'm A-licenced though, so there's really no need for me to race up, or even, or whatever. The Mazda, Radical and DP are all a bit dull to me, and the racing is just less fun. On the oval side... I just don't commit to anything, but race whatever seems fun
I'm A - licensed as well now...the fools

I'm kinda bummed about the oval side though. I went from 4.10 to 2.6 in promotion...B license.

I don't really oval race at all, but I want to get A licensed in both so I can do whatever I want. I don't race at all as it is...just testing and practice. I really don't see any way that I'm going to get a 2.6 SR to 4.0 to do time trials in the impala...and I don't have any desire to drive the B impala

Maybe I will just be a failure in the oval side
I got a spare promo if anyone want it... $25 for 3 months... Pm me if you're interested.
Quote from atledreier :I got a spare promo if anyone want it... $25 for 3 months... Pm me if you're interested.

Me too promo code is PR-3MONTHOFFER-MAY2009 .
i neverasked for people to list me as a referrer, but its a bit sad to see some project torque people that flamed me recently subscribe to iracing and not list me. Finals are ova. now i might have some time to actually race.
Thanks for the link, very interesting news to me.
I got my 3 month's for $25 email through too after my subscription ran out

Might well have to order that and the Formula Mazda up soon

Only problem for me is that I still cannot really afford it without these special offer's, if only they would drop the prices a little bit.

It's more the content price's that hold me back from ordering over and over again, would make a big difference over a year!
Quote from PMD9409 :iRacing partners with Nascar.

http://iracing.com/newsEvents/article.php?id=106&lc=1

For all that "think big for #4!", this is pretty underwhelming, to put it diplomatically... One thing more for the oval guys to play with, but helps the road racing side of things nothing at all...

I'm also not sure how iRacing's target group and NASCAR's following are supposed to match up...
Quote from bbman :For all that "think big for #4!", this is pretty underwhelming, to put it diplomatically... One thing more for the oval guys to play with, but helps the road racing side of things nothing at all...

I'm also not sure how iRacing's target group and NASCAR's following are supposed to match up...

I use to be an oval guy, then I met LFS, and now I am kind of caught in the middle. For this, I see where it is obviously going to be a big boost to the oval side. But numbers in general should go up, more oval racers most likely, but you will have more in general so we can fill up the current series correctly.

Not only this, but you have to realize that Nascar is affiliated with some road racing series (Grand-Am). I don't know how likely this is to happen, but now that they have a big name like Nascar on their side then it could become easier to grab another big name.

Also, announcements in the future will be the 4 or 5 road cars, which should be awesome. There will be some ovals to complete the Nascar schedule, but it looks like content-wise that those 4 or 5 road cars (2 fords, VW, C6R, and Lotus) will be coming soon. They also said something about some of their employees going over to Europe to scan some tracks, so who knows about that also.

Everything is just speculation, but at least we know that something will happen "soon".
the more popular and iRacing becomes and the more support they get, the quicker they'll branch out into europe.
Quote from PMD9409 :I use to be an oval guy, then I met LFS, and now I am kind of caught in the middle. For this, I see where it is obviously going to be a big boost to the oval side. But numbers in general should go up, more oval racers most likely, but you will have more in general so we can fill up the current series correctly.

Not only this, but you have to realize that Nascar is affiliated with some road racing series (Grand-Am). I don't know how likely this is to happen, but now that they have a big name like Nascar on their side then it could become easier to grab another big name.

Also, announcements in the future will be the 4 or 5 road cars, which should be awesome. There will be some ovals to complete the Nascar schedule, but it looks like content-wise that those 4 or 5 road cars (2 fords, VW, C6R, and Lotus) will be coming soon. They also said something about some of their employees going over to Europe to scan some tracks, so who knows about that also.

Everything is just speculation, but at least we know that something will happen "soon".

Don't forget there's the Indy car coming at some point too seeing as they affiliated and sponsor the online Indy car video site
the radical seems to be fun at Daytona. I'm still getting used to the car and track, but it seems to fit here much better than at sebring. I seem to have an affinity for rovals. even in LFS KY nat is one of my favorite tracks.
I think i could just drive the Spec Racer for the next year.
It's a pig to begin with, but once it clicks how to drive it you can really give it a good thrashing.

The LFS drifters would love it !

Fantastic car. I've been driving it for three days and have nearly cracked the magical 58 second mark at Lime Rock... Only 7/100ths to go.
I think I'm in love.
Quote from bbman :For all that "think big for #4!", this is pretty underwhelming, to put it diplomatically... One thing more for the oval guys to play with, but helps the road racing side of things nothing at all...

PMD9409 also said it..

NASCAR is also involved with Grand-Am

http://www.grand-am.com/multimedia/photos.cfm

http://www.grand-am.com/multimedia/photos.cfm?series=k

The deal can benefit everyone in iRacing. More members, TV and so on. More people will get to know about online sim-racing.

Strange that some people still thinks that oval guys is getting more than road guys. It`s very easy to make an oval and doesn`t take so long to make as most road courses. Talladega is a LONG track, but there is not many trees, hills, buildings and so on to make...

And still there are coming many things for the road guys..

Mosport
Miller Motorsports Park
Long Beach
Auto Club Speedway
Moroso Motorsports Park
Willow Springs

Ford GT
Corvette
Lotus 79
Jetta VW TDi
Mustang

And they will scan european tracks this year, maybe they are already working on it..

bbman - whats your name in iRacing? I`m just curious..
Quote from TAYLOR-MANIA :Leaps and bounds for iRacing... there's absolutley no sign of the progress slowing down. Give it another year at the most and i predict that it will be dominating the hardcore sim racing scene, hands down, with a blend of exposure from series such as Nascar, the professional racers & of course the ever growing real world track/car selection... top of the crop i reckon.

Indeed. I'm ecstatic about all these news of amazing future content we road racers are getting! I don't feel bad at all about ditching hundreds of bucks to support these guys if this is really what we are in for. The nice thing is, they haven't yet failed to deliver anything they have promised. That brings faith.
I wish people would stop turning my words as if I said the deal is a bad thing...

To clarify, things I'm NOT expressing are:
-it won't help iRacing
-we won't get more members
-oval guys are favoured
-roadies get nothing

If there would be an iRacing version of the LfS bingo, I'd win it with ease just with the replys to my post(s)...

It will bring many members, yes... And I've lost count how many times I've heard those new members will race the road side as well - BS... Just look at the road stats, not that many US-flags there... I tried the oval side (I may try again sometime), I find nothing in it, why should it be different with someone else the other way round?

There really isn't much info in the announcement, that little bit is dug deep in a wall of marketing speak. The only things it clearly states are:
-NASCAR gives its name
-there will be a NASCAR-sanctioned league starting next year

Yes, it will make iRacing much more visible (only in the US though), but there is absolutely no mention of Grand-Am, TV coverage or anything... IF it had been continuous TV coverage (at a reasonable timeslot for added bonus), THAT would've been worthy of all the "think big"-talk IMO... Let sim-racing talk for itself, we don't need copying - that's my view...

@richard: You could've just looked up my LfSW-profile, but I post it here anyway: Bernhard Bendl
Quote from bbman :I find nothing in it, why should it be different with someone else the other way round?

I know a lot of people who hated oval racing until they gave it a go and they loved it after... But there is also some who still hates it..thats normal in life..

I have read at the iRacing that some americans who hated Road Racing until they gave that a go and they loved it...
People are very different. Ok you don`t like it and thats ok, but oval is also for some Road Racers..

About TV and so on... No it`s not sure Grand-Am will come, but MAYBE... iRacing has a bright future... and because we already have the Riley, will get the Mustang and so on, then G-A is a possibility.
FPS shooter games are in TV..and even in Denmark there are FIFA games live on TV.. why not simracing?
But getting iRacing on TV will benefits everybody. Is it wrong that iRacing are trying something new in simracing? No it can only be good, I really can`t see any bad in it..as I can`t see any bad in LFS making a Scirocco or getting Vykos in TV in Germany..
You know LFS has also been on NBC TV..everybody was happy...or most were happy...

I think most of us that are driving iRacing is just as happy with the NASCAR deal, as the LFS`er who is looking forward to the Scirocco, new tracks and so on...

Roadies getting nothing? We just got the Spec Racer and not long before that we got the Riley and VERY soon we will get the other cars. Oval guys has got Impala SS and Impala B...so thats very even. So no one is favoured...

Tracks? More ovals yes...but they must do them in time for next year I guess..but still Roadies are getting tracks very often too..and how many can people use , that depends on their license...
There are I think 15-16 oval tracks and 4 Roval who is also used in Road series...and there are 11 pure Road tracks.. So I think it`s very fair..
I`m very sad about LFS who has ONLY one oval..

I will look at your status Bernhard...so I can see what you are doing..
Bernhard - why do you need more Road tracks?
You has not raced on (you could of course have running test on them)
Barber Motorsports Park
Infineon
Road America
Road Atlanta
Silverstone
Watkins Glen

A lot of tracks for you to race on...no matter how many ovals there are coming...

With your C license and above 4.0 you could race on all I thinks, if you has bought the cars....
You should REALLY re-read my post...
My english sucks, thats why i`m always answers nice..

But you wrote this:

"One thing more for the oval guys to play with, but helps the road racing side of things nothing at all... "

Imo it shows that you are saying that oval guys has got something NEW again, but the road guys didn`t..

I now you didn`t spoke specific about new cars and tracks, but my quoting of your post seems for me that there are a a little "devil" inside you who thinks that oval racers has an advantage.. I could be wrong as my english sucks...but at least I didn`t offend you..
I didn't (I clarified that in the very post you got my statistics from)...

Quote from richard dk :Barber Motorsports Park haven't bought (yet)
Infineon schedule
Road America haven't bought (yet)
Road Atlanta haven't bought (yet)
Silverstone schedule
Watkins Glen haven't bought (yet)

Quote from The Moose :I think i could just drive the Spec Racer for the next year.
It's a pig to begin with, but once it clicks how to drive it you can really give it a good thrashing.

The LFS drifters would love it !

Fantastic car. I've been driving it for three days and have nearly cracked the magical 58 second mark at Lime Rock... Only 7/100ths to go.
I think I'm in love.

+1 It's an absolute blast to drive one you get it right.
Quote from bbman :I didn't (I clarified that in the very post you got my statistics from)...

Np here.. But my english really sucks some times..sry for that..
I wrote: "but at least I didn`t offend you.. " It should had been "but at least I didn`t tried to offend you.."

All my english is NOT learned in school, but learned by reading the Italian motorsports magazine called Autosprint in the beginning of the 80`s.. English via an Italian magazine? Yes there was english text underneath ALL the pictures..no where else.. Later on I learned more english through the english Autosport..and then yet more when I got Satellite TV in 1987, watching Super Channel and ScreenSport.. So my gramma is not good at all...never been because no one tells me what is wrong..
Enough from me..will take a break..
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG