The online racing simulator
Quote from ACCAkut :but it saves weight, and you won't have to deal with some things you would on a closed cockpit car (AC, fast driver changing, accesability after a crash ect)

Driver changing might be eliminated when pitstops will become much longer this year... with the (imho stupid) two mechanics / one wheel gun rule (instead of two wheel guns and four men). ALMS did not adapt this rule change.
but what difference does weight make when 1 car is a bullet and the other is an aerodynamic draggy brick?
Quote from BlueFlame :but what difference does weight make when 1 car is a bullet and the other is an aerodynamic draggy brick?

I wouldn't exactly call the Audi a brick. I'm sure a lot of engineering goes into making sure the front of the car pushes air up and over the open cockpit.
Quote from BlueFlame :but what difference does weight make when 1 car is a bullet and the other is an aerodynamic draggy brick?

Closed cockpit cars are not that much more aero-efficient. Closed cockpit cars also are harder to get down to minimum weight ('they weigh more' is not technically accurate, as they can weigh less, though this is harder to do), their centre of gravity is higher up (as they have more material up higher for the roof) and they have a much larger frontal area which can actually result in increased drag.

Aerodynamics are a lot more complicated than you might think. It's not as simple as smooth lines = less drag.

Quote from UncleBenny :I wouldn't exactly call the Audi a brick. I'm sure a lot of engineering goes into making sure the front of the car pushes air up and over the open cockpit.

While I'm not involved in the Audi development, nor a real authority on the matter, I'd say a much smarter thing to do would be to push the air to the sides of the cockpit and not over it, per say.

[EDIT] Oh yes, thanks for the pics/links Deggis. I don't know how you find this stuff!
Quote from MAGGOT :Closed cockpit cars are not that much more aero-efficient. Closed cockpit cars also are harder to get down to minimum weight ('they weigh more' is not technically accurate, as they can weigh less, though this is harder to do), their centre of gravity is higher up (as they have more material up higher for the roof) and they have a much larger frontal area which can actually result in increased drag.

Aerodynamics are a lot more complicated than you might think. It's not as simple as smooth lines = less drag.

While I'm not involved in the Audi development, nor a real authority on the matter, I'd say a much smarter thing to do would be to push the air to the sides of the cockpit and not over it, per say.

Thanks for the info.
Yea, it is kind of ugly, but just like the Quattro S1, it can be DAMN ugly, but DAMN beautiful at the same time.
It's so... ugly at the front, but I just love it!
Looks like an elephant sat on the front squishing it...
well i see a slight resemblance to the typical audi styling, especially the R8, quite like it, doesn't look like the typical openwheeler with fender design
Quote from MAGGOT :I can't see any manufacturer getting into LeMans Prototypes and not going to LeMans. It just wouldn't make sense. Not going this year makes sense, but not going next year doesn't.

It doesn't make sense to not go to leamsn this year.
Quote from Primoz :It doesn't make sense to not go to leamsn this year.

LeMans is sort of an 'invite-only' race. Maybe they were not invited, or maybe they wanted to run the car in race conditions before spending the large amounts of money necessary to run LeMans?

[EDIT] Mulsanne's Corner has a look at the large R15 photo, and Mike has dissected it further. Seems the R15 has a quasi-front wing in place of/integrated with a splitter?
Quote from MAGGOT :LeMans is sort of an 'invite-only' race. Maybe they were not invited...

I know this wasn't the point of your post but I have to correct... you know the invitation only happens if team is 1st or 2nd (all classes) at Le Mans or ALMS/ALMS/FIA GT championships and 1st at Petit Le Mans? Or then the team applies for entry and hopes for best. But its not every year new manufacturer wants to join in, so getting the entry accepted is probably smallest of the obstacles for Acura.
Quote from deggis :I know this wasn't the point of your post but I have to correct... you know the invitation only happens if team is 1st or 2nd (all classes) at Le Mans or ALMS/ALMS/FIA GT championships and 1st at Petit Le Mans? Or then the team applies for entry and hopes for best. But its not every year new manufacturer wants to join in, so getting the entry accepted is probably smallest of the obstacles for Acura.

Ah I see. Out of curiosity any idea as to why WR's (Weltier Racing?) entry was not accepted last year? And are they in the list for this year?
Quote from MAGGOT :Ah I see. Out of curiosity any idea as to why WR's (Weltier Racing?) entry was not accepted last year? And are they in the list for this year?

I didn't think they even bothered to enter last year? But they have a car for this year, whether or not it will race is a different story.
Probably did not apply last year. Only the official invitations have been published, full entry list will be published later this month.

By the way:
Quote :a. The following criteria are at the Selection Committee’s discretion.
b. The list is not exhaustive and with no priority classification.
* A maximum of two (2) cars per competitor
* Fame of the competitor (manufacturer, factory-backed team, well-known private team, private team)
* Previous "24 Hours of Le Mans" races
* Competitors' record
* Regular entries in "American Le Mans Series" and "Le Mans Series" events
* Recommended entry in a race prior to the Selection Committee meeting
* Quality of the cars
* Technical interest
* Relationship with the A.C.O. and its environment regarding legal and financial issues
* Maintaining the participation of "privateers"
* Etc.

The selections are sometimes little bit introverted, I guess that's why that "Etc."

That "maximum of two cars" is stupid, only causes pointless naming schemes, like Peugeot last year: 2x "Team Peugeot Total", 1x "Peugeot Sport Total". Aston Martin probably going to do something similar.
Quote from deggis :Probably did not apply last year.

Yep, they did. I recall reading something about it after the lists had been posted in which the team manager (or some high up anyways) said they were surprised that they were not accepted for the event that year. I was pretty disappointed, too, since they had that awesome new car last year and I wanted to see some footage of it run.

.. Maybe I should try to find some pics of it. Maybe some high res racing shots are available now.
That audi is strikingly ugly
:lets just hope the peugot stays sexy
Is the car wider or am I the only one who thinks the rear wing just got narrower?
ACO decided to cut 40 cm from the rear wing (2 m --> 1,6 m). It's going to slow down the cars maybe about 2 secs. Stupid move, not only because of aesthetics but the change is going to hurt a lot of the small private teams. ALMS decided LMP2 teams can use 2008 spec wings but with +25 kg.
thats a nice line up there, im suprised that a team will be using the R10s, but i suppose that they will still be competeative with the rest of the field
Also GT1 is a bit more crowded than usual with 4 vettes, 2 astons and 2 lambos. Great!

ALMS/LMS/Le Mans/FIA GT 2009
(948 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG