The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
I'm having severe iRacing problems and it's really starting to do my head in .

My SR is now down to under 2 and no matter what I can't keep any bloody car (Radical at the moment) on the track either going slow or pushing it . In practise I can stay on the track with my eyes closed....but when it comes to anything counting for SR I am doomed, doomed I tell ya!

B License takes no prisoners when it comes to SR......oh noes the embarresment of being relegated to C license is likely for me. Maybe I need to visit a shrink to get rid of my SR paranoia as paranoia is what it has now become.

HELP!!
Quote from AlienT. :I'm having severe iRacing problems and it's really starting to do my head in .

My SR is now down to under 2 and no matter what I can't keep any bloody car (Radical at the moment) on the track either going slow or pushing it . In practise I can stay on the track with my eyes closed....but when it comes to anything counting for SR I am doomed, doomed I tell ya!

B License takes no prisoners when it comes to SR......oh noes the embarresment of being relegated to C license is likely for me. Maybe I need to visit a shrink to get rid of my SR paranoia as paranoia is what it has now become.

HELP!!

you've got 11 weeks

You can gain .1-.15 SR per clean race at B license I think..maybe race something you're more comfortable in to get your SR up.
I didn't dare race the radical because it's so unpredictable over the curbs. Trying to keep concentration for an hour race is a tall order. Choose the easiest tracks and do 4 time trials for your minimum participation - or did I wimp out?

I still prefer to race the Mazda.
I've signed up for a month of iRacing now as well, and wow. I had no idea modeling the bumps and other formations on the track could do so much for immersion and excitement. The more people who try iRacing, the more LFS has to consider modeling bumps etc on tracks for S3. This is obviously something that has been left out for too long from racing sims.

In LFS, a high speed corner is always the same as long as the tire temps are appr. the same and the setup and car is the same. In iRacing, if you take a corner right on the limit, a small bump in the road can send you out of control onto the grass where there is no friction at all, and smashing into the wall, making the car undrivable and giving you a juicy reduction in safety rating. Driving fast on the limit has never been more exciting, IMO. I will not abandon LFS, but iRacing definitely got something going for it.
Quote from AlienT. :I'm having severe iRacing problems and it's really starting to do my head in .

HELP!!

Try driving with both hands on the wheel. The left hand on the Whisky tumbler wont help mate

Did anyone notice the shameless slip that he's a class B driver
well, he didnt even have to say that he was b class, since you have to be at least c 4.0 to race the radical, iirc. Is it B 4.0 for the daytona prototype?
Quote from Gabkicks :well, he didnt even have to say that he was b class, since you have to be at least c 4.0 to race the radical, iirc. Is it B 4.0 for the daytona prototype?

I presume it will be. Going to be a while before we see full races in that car I think!
I like how the most-seen thread on LFS Forum is about iRacing.
-
(obsolum) DELETED by obsolum
Quote from Riders Motion :I like how the most-seen thread on LFS Forum is about iRacing.

A lot of people here are sim-enthusiasts, not exclusively LFS enthusiasts
Quote from [Viking] :I've signed up for a month of iRacing now as well, and wow. I had no idea modeling the bumps and other formations on the track could do so much for immersion and excitement. The more people who try iRacing, the more LFS has to consider modeling bumps etc on tracks for S3. This is obviously something that has been left out for too long from racing sims.

In LFS, a high speed corner is always the same as long as the tire temps are appr. the same and the setup and car is the same. In iRacing, if you take a corner right on the limit, a small bump in the road can send you out of control onto the grass where there is no friction at all, and smashing into the wall, making the car undrivable and giving you a juicy reduction in safety rating. Driving fast on the limit has never been more exciting, IMO. I will not abandon LFS, but iRacing definitely got something going for it.

I agree, the tracks are definitely iRacing's strongest point, and also illustrates LFS' main weakness. LFS feels very dull in comparison. The cars and the general track layout in LFS are both excellent, but like you say it's like driving on rails compared to iRacing. Totally predictable.

I'll illustrate by an example: in iRacing I've been racing a lot lately on a track where there's a long straight leading to a very sharp 150 degree hairpin. It's a narrow track, so naturally you want to go as far out to the curb as possible when braking for the corner. However there's a little dip on the outside of the track which means that unless you correct your steering just a tiny bit while braking you're likely to loose grip on the outside tyres under braking, which could cause you to spin off in a spectacular fashion. It really is a lot more important to know the track very well than it is in LFS. I find myself spending quite some time in practice driving off the ideal line, so that I can get acquainted with the bumps and cracks in the tarmac here, too, which will be useful in overtaking- and defending situations.

A bit of constructive advice for LFS: laser scanning isn't the only way of getting believable track surfaces! It shouldn't be too hard to make some algorithm or something to create a random pattern of cracks and bumps..? I understand that the polygon count on the tracks will go up, but that shouldn't really be an issue with today's computers. I'd love to see more believable track surfaces in LFS!
Quote from Gnomie :I agree, the tracks are definitely iRacing's strongest point, and also illustrates LFS' main weakness. LFS feels very dull in comparison. The cars and the general track layout in LFS are both excellent, but like you say it's like driving on rails compared to iRacing. Totally predictable.

I'll illustrate by an example: in iRacing I've been racing a lot lately on a track where there's a long straight leading to a very sharp 150 degree hairpin. It's a narrow track, so naturally you want to go as far out to the curb as possible when braking for the corner. However there's a little dip on the outside of the track which means that unless you correct your steering just a tiny bit while braking you're likely to loose grip on the outside tyres under braking, which could cause you to spin off in a spectacular fashion. It really is a lot more important to know the track very well than it is in LFS. I find myself spending quite some time in practice driving off the ideal line, so that I can get acquainted with the bumps and cracks in the tarmac here, too, which will be useful in overtaking- and defending situations.

A bit of constructive advice for LFS: laser scanning isn't the only way of getting believable track surfaces! It shouldn't be too hard to make some algorithm or something to create a random pattern of cracks and bumps..? I understand that the polygon count on the tracks will go up, but that shouldn't really be an issue with today's computers. I'd love to see more believable track surfaces in LFS!

glad you're having fun mate I'll try to find you sometime so we can do a practise session
Graphics are horrible. It looks like I'm playing LFS S1!:P
Really? S1? you must have a horrible machine and run at minimum settings. The shadows are much more detailed than pretty much every racing sim out right now.

Some shots from my first race @ Daytona w/ the Car of Tomorrow. Overall the race was pretty fun, but this last guy I was trying to pass just wouldnt show me any respect. I wont make the mistake of being too nice when trying to pass again. I'd move to pass and he'd always swerve to block, but it was too late. I kept slowing down to avoid hitting him.

Quote from Danny LFS :Graphics are horrible. It looks like I'm playing LFS S1!:P

You either have a shitty pc or are blind... The graphics are way above LFS, as you can choose to up them to your pc specs. Granted you can do this with LFS, but in LFS you can only choose to make them 486 or pentium II
Quote from jasonmatthews :You either have a shitty pc or are blind... The graphics are way above LFS, as you can choose to up them to your pc specs. Granted you can do this with LFS, but in LFS you can only choose to make them 486 or pentium II

It's cause LFS is in the dark age's of DX8 i do belive
No, DX8 can look good, just LFS doesn't have stuff done with it. Magically plonking it into DX9 or DX10 wouldn't change ****ing anything without actual effort to improve the GFX engine.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :No, DX8 can look good, just LFS doesn't have stuff done with it. Magically plonking it into DX9 or DX10 wouldn't change ****ing anything without actual effort to improve the GFX engine.

Yep that's true, although DX8 will limit it a bit.

Anyway i don't think graphic's are the devs main focus right now
Here's an interesting question to those LFS'rs that have bought iRacing for the year. If you were one of the first to get iRacing when it came out, a year will be up at the end of June.

Can you see yourself putting up the funds and getting it for a 2nd year?

With the huge economic downturn, will this put a stop to the pleasures of iRacing? For UK people, a years subscription to iRacing will cost a lot more due to the falling pound against the dollar. I'm sure this will have a huge effect on UK subscriptions in year 2.

thoughts?
Quote from StableX :Can you see yourself putting up the funds and getting it for a 2nd year?

Yes, definitely.
The only thing stopping me doing more iRacing is my ancient PC. As soon as that hurdle is cleared then I'll be signing up for a full year.
Quote from StableX :
Can you see yourself putting up the funds and getting it for a 2nd year?

In June I will for sure buy another year and depending on the Danish Krone against the Dollar I will maybe buy 2 years..

I`ll be there for many years... And when S3 is out I will come back to LFS alongside with iRacing..
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG