The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from PMD9409 :Nah, they made it too easy now, SR should be a piece of cake.

On another note, I was drafting with Dale Jr, Martin Truex, and Brad Keselowski last night. Let me just say that was a highlight moment of my 13 year simracing career.

Now to just get their sets....

that's wicked good stuff PMD> He's also really chatty in the warmup too, Djr I mean
yeah, anyone got good sets for the next build? i am having trouble w/ the formula mazda. I think a lot of it is that i am inexperienced, but maybe the default advanced setup could be better...
Quote from Gabkicks :yeah, anyone got good sets for the next build? i am having trouble w/ the formula mazda. I think a lot of it is that i am inexperienced, but maybe the default advanced setup could be better...

Try the advanced set with a soft front ARB and no rear ARB. That should help you learn the car and keep it on the track. If that doesn't work for ya let us know :]

The SR is definitely not too easy. It is darwinism at its finest. I've seen people at daytona losing .99 SR in one race at A level. There are people getting 5-10 incidents at sebring with B and A licenses and taking their licks too...they won't last long with races like those.

Btw the mazda shouldn't have been changed this build.
Quote :If you are excited about the thought of owning a Radical sports car why not drive one virtually? A one month trial of the amazing iRacing simulator will be available here soon.

Please fill in the form below to register your interest in a virtual test drive of a Radical SR8, courtesy of iRacing.com Motorsport Simulations. You will be sent an email which will include one unique promotional code, a link and instructions to redeem the code for a free one-month trial subscription to the iRacing.com service, including basic content AND the Radical SR8 and Silverstone.

http://www.radicalsportscars.com/racing/virtual-racing

This can't be real... FREE?! I sent. Got email saying "Thank you for filling in our Virtual Racing request, we will be in contact with your promotional code shortly."
I saw that too. There is a small thread about over at the iRacing forums.

No complaints here. Hopefully anyone smart enough to go through Radical for a demo will be smart enough to drive properly.

Although now that it's posted here...
To those who have payment issues, get yourself a pre-paid credit card. I use the Virgin one, it functions as a Mastercard and works fine with iRacing. No credit check, no debts, just load it up at the post office and away you go.

http://uk.virginmoney.com/virgin/prepaid-card/
Quote from LFSn00b :So this is a "demo" of some sort? Anyways, filled in the thingy, waiting for approval :/

If it sounds too good to be true...
Yes, it does sound too good to be true.
On the other hand are there any stats out that show the active players (sorry, pro sim racers ) numbers evolution on the iracing site?
That may explain the attempt to get new blood.
Monthly figures would do
The downside, going by the video, is you get wobbly oval wheels.. Damn aspect ratio.. :P
Quote from Mille Sabords :On the other hand are there any stats out that show the active players (sorry, pro sim racers ) numbers evolution on the iracing site?
That may explain the attempt to get new blood.
Monthly figures would do

One iRacing member has posted weekly stats of subscribers who have done at least one race during the ongoing week. Based on those stats the weekly active numbers have grown only very little in recent months, and they are surely trying to get new drivers in.

The number of active weekly drivers is probably around 2,400 on average, monthly perhaps somewhere around 3,500-4,000 (monthly stats were posted only once as an example). And of course, not everyone using the service does races, and those will not show up on the unofficial stats. I think the staff mentioned that there were about 6,000 active subscriptions in the beginning of January.

The latest update with the open practice servers, NASCAR Sprint Cup car etc. will show a large increase in active members, but how many of those will actively participate as the season progresses remains to be seen.
Quote from the back of this week's Autosport magazine:

Quote from Ad about Star Mazda :Visit Star Mazda.com/newdriver for a virtual test drive courtesy of iRacing.com

http://www.starmazda.com/newdriver/

"If you are interested in the virtual test drive provided by iRacing.com, the Official Simulation Service of the Star Mazda Championship, you will be asked to submit a form with your contact details, racing resume and other relevant information."

Doesnt sound like a free trial.
that ad in autosport has been runnng for ages, it'll be interesting to see how the radical "demo" affects numbers
any idea why we're in maintenance right now?
Quote from Jertje :any idea why we're in maintenance right now?

Daytona Prototype maybe?
Quote from racer hero :Daytona Prototype maybe?

sadly, no. More SR adjusments.

The adjustment bumped me to 4.01 oval lol. I have done a few test sessions at daytona with the rolling brick of tomorrow and it really just isn't that fun. You drive around alone wide out...or you hook up with a draft wide open and then wreck two laps later. Its really just not interesting to me. Lowes was way more of a challenge and was actually exciting. I could see how you could get into ovals where you actually had to drive...not this.
i haven't really gotten a chance to race or practice w/ the mazda or COT, but both were fun for the few laps that i've gotten done this season. What do you guys think of the COT? I'll try and upload a video this week if I can squeeze in the time. itll be a chance for me to learn how to splice 2 videos together.

I've heard some people note that the sense of speed is not there w/ the car: (200mph feels like 120 or something). I can't even speak for myself because I haven't driven the car in days due to being busy.
Quote from Gabkicks :I've heard some people note that the sense of speed is not there w/ the car: (200mph feels like 120 or something). I can't even speak for myself because I haven't driven the car in days due to being busy.

IMO, that's not the case at all. As with all cars, it depends on your FOV and the track mostly. During the current week at Daytona the Impala will feel a lot slower due to the long straights and full-throttle corners coupled with the restricted engine, but at Lowe's it felt almost out-of-control fast at least to me. However, tintops tend to feel slower than open-cockpit cars, and the comparatively high seat position could have an effect, too.
i've not played iracing or lfs for about 3 months till the last week or so as i've been too busy with cod 4 and 5, work, family etc.

however i've been practcing the last week when i've got home from work at 6 .30 am and the numbers using the mazda seem to be rising

p.s. went on lfs last week for a bit, it still gives an equal thrill, can't explain it but the two just seem to complement each other for me
i have almost no life and yet i am still having trouble to find time for sim-racing. i guess I just suck at time management . Is the racing good w/ the Mazdas at road america? lots of battles or what?
haven't risked a race as im so out of pratice, to be honest i've hardly done any races since i've joined, the solstice was ok but the drievrs were un predictable and i'd got used to single seaters with wings in lfs, similar issues re wings with the skippy but the mazda feels more familiar, i got licence advanced through tt.

as i said havent tried any races and probably won't for another week but we've had a few dices amongst ourselves in practice and it's a fun track and car combo though you have to watch you don't out brake yourself into the two lefthanders after the downhill straights when you're trying to pass / defend especially the second with little run off before the gravel . bit anoying at the moment that i can just break into the 2.05 sec laps as i know that my theoretical error free time is about a second faster
I had a 45 minute mazda race where we were nose to tail 1st - 3rd for the first 8 or so laps, then I battled with 2nd place nose to tail for the rest of the time.

At the end our average lap time was the same to the thousandth...The draft really sucks these cars up..its hard to pull away for sure.

It really depends on the other people around you, and how confident you are driving that close to someone.
Quote from mutt107 :if only iracing had NHRA drag cars

they will :]

I offered to let them use our cars and any of our friend's cars if they need to scan or get data.

It'll probably be at least 2 years before they start working on it, but it'll be awesome no doubt
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG