The online racing simulator
It doesn't happen in real life.
Quote from niall09 :Nope.

It seems ridiculous, go to Aviano gp circuit and into T1 or T3 - brake at about 70% in a straight line and watch the car slide. If that happens in real life, I'll eat my hat.

I did notice something funny going on there my first few laps, but attributed it to the learning curve. Now that I have a few laps under my belt, going back to that track yes the issue is still there. With reduced "Brake Multi" in game, it helps, but late braking into that T1 complex at Aviano still means instant spin for me. It feels like the track just turns to ice under braking right there.

Edit: I'm also getting what I can only describe as really slow tank slappers on exit under power. The rear end just kind of floats back and forth. Does it really badly out of the last turn and onto the straight at Newbury. Again, it could be that I just need to get used to it, or I'm not getting the right feedback so it feels like it's floating, but I've never felt that in any other sim or in my experience with SCCA solo II driving.

Another Edit: Did a few more laps at Aviano and yeah, it is pretty ridiculous. The tank slapper thing i mentioned happens in the same spot... the rear just does not stick when it should. Reminiscent of the rfactor problem, just not quite as bad. At least in nKp, you can lose the rear under power and actually get it back.
Quote from The Moose :Shifting up is modelled perfectly. It's all about timing. You dont need to clutch at all, just lift and shift at the right revs. I can do it 99% of the time. I do miss one occasionally under pressure.

He's actually right about preloading the shifter... Try it out: Hold the lever to shift up, THEN step off the throttle... No matter how long you wait, it won't shift until you've let go of the shifter and pulled it again...

Something new, another thread inspired me to this: Without camber and caster, there's still quite some self-aligning torque, and I don't have centering spring enabled... I don't know if weight transfer causes enough camber to have an effect on this, but what worried me more was when you steer enough there actually is negative SAT... I was under the impression a car could never do that, steering MORE by itself...
Damn I knew it would get released while im on vacation... Oh well, going back home tomorow and I'll get to try it. Really looking forward to it hopefully its not a total dissapointment .
Had a quick go with it. Found the multiplayer finally works on my computer at playable framerates, for the first time ever. Had a couple of races and found the general driving standard was non-existent, a couple of quick guys and everybody else all over the place. I started my first race from the pitlane, after being completely oblivious to the fact qualifying had finished and not spotted the little button to go to grid. These things are neither here nor there really, a confusing and illogical UI is off putting but not the end of the world and hopefully driving standards will get better as people learn it.

For some reason it no longer lets me use AA (with an 8800GT), which is annoying but not the end of the world. I also can't find how to change car skin anymore?

The most disappointing bit for me is the gear shifts, which have gone from being somewhat realistic to just iRacing style shove it in a gear and go. With autoclutch off and the actlabs profile activated I can put the FF1600 in any gear with any amount of load/throttle and it just changes without question, this is really strange and certainly is no way near as good as the behaviour in the old version and also doesn't seem to match other peoples stories of the patch. Should I be able to shift without touching the clutch pedal or lifting the throttle with autoclutch off in the FF1600?
Quote from titanLS :I'm also getting what I can only describe as really slow tank slappers on exit under power. The rear end just kind of floats back and forth. Does it really badly out of the last turn and onto the straight at Newbury. Again, it could be that I just need to get used to it, or I'm not getting the right feedback so it feels like it's floating, but I've never felt that in any other sim or in my experience with SCCA solo II driving.

ah yes i get that a lot as well
attributed most of it to hitting exit curbs too hard and not countersteering fast enough but your right the back end should have some more motivation to go back in line

the double apex at aviano(?) is particularly bad entry oversteer on almost no braking at all then slow motion high speed tankslappers at the exit

Quote from bbman :but what worried me more was when you steer enough there actually is negative SAT... I was under the impression a car could never do that, steering MORE by itself...

some real world tyre sat curves do go into the negatives at high enough slip angles... not sure if its appropriate for the tyres nkp tries to simulate but the behaviour is not unheard of
on a more positive note nkp has aligning torque due to steering geometry now (yay)

Quote from ajp71 :For some reason it no longer lets me use AA (with an 8800GT), which is annoying but not the end of the world.

try forcing it via the nvidia profiler since the nkp settings for aa dont make any apparent sense (you can set the number of samples and then theres also another unexplained quality setting)

and yes i checked the manual... it had this very helpful thing to say about AA
"However, anti-aliasing comes at a price, because it causes quite some performance on your graphics card."

Quote :I also can't find how to change car skin anymore?

ah thats brilliant you can find it on the first setup screen while in the car
the brilliant thing is you cant tell what the skin looks like while in the car
Quote from Shotglass :

Yeah. You have to get out every time with F11, reposition the camera to look at the car, look at the car, get back in the car, select next skin, get back out, reposition camera, repeat over and over until you don't care what skin you're using...
It's fun with joystick, i have way more fps than in 1.02... and im gonna try it tomorrow all dday long!
It's good. Definately feels better, although still NKPRO. The interface is pretty poor but at the end of the day, this is about driving and racing. Can't find the server browser though, would give kudos to anyone who can find it for me.
Quote from BlueFlame :Can't find the server browser though, would give kudos to anyone who can find it for me.

how about right at the top where it says multiplayer? youll have to manually connect to the master server by clicking connect in the lower left corner of the multiplayer window because its more hardcore to do everything yourself
Quote from Shotglass :how about right at the top where it says multiplayer? youll have to manually connect to the master server by clicking connect in the lower left corner of the multiplayer window because its more hardcore to do everything yourself

No, there is a 3rd party server browser. You n00b.
I never really got connected with nk pro's physics, it always felt extremely metallic, a bit like a metallic cylinder sliding and drifting over large oily metal floor, the car feels like there is no rubber on tires or suspension in the car, you just float across the track, in the ff1600.

I did an extremely short test with the ff1600 and it's the same as 1.02 was for me. Going from 1600x1200 with some eye candy to 1024x800 with none got rid of loads of steering lag. And this is totally different machine than the one I played 1.02 last time, from nvidia/amd to ati/intel. I guess it must be the wheel I'm using...or its drivers.

The sounds are really awful, especially the skid sounds. 1,02 sounded better than lfs which is really ntohing to shout about but 1.03 sounds worse which is a significant achievement, to sounds worse than lfs you really need to put effort into it, especially if you are using (long) samples. I know the formula fords don't scream like 12-litre V8s at the end of the backstraight of road america () but the engine sound is just as "uneventful" as lfs'.

Anyhoo, the tires of the ff1600 felt pretty bad with the extremely short test. No static grip at all, the tires start sliding even more gradually than in lfs which makes the car act like a snake with small slip of the tires causing the car to "rotate" through its z-axle. I'll try again when I haven't been up for 20 hours straight but at least the physics update is non-existent for me. It still feels too metallic while lfs is too fluid. iracing feels the best but it has a bitter after taste. *insert some wine terms here*

I really hope this is the new start for nk pro and I really really hope that 1.04 is not that far away. I'm extremely sceptic about it but I never expected to see 1.03 either (to this day). I'll try the f2000 or whatever it is tomorrow (or so ), I think I'll like that one better... for me nk is one those sims it takes time to learn to drive while with gpl and iracing you instantly feel the car and its grip, unlike lfs, n2k3 or nk. But I'll promise to try again later, I know it's better than the first impresssion. Which sounds really awful written like this...
The sounds aren't that bad, only the skid sounds are from namie it seems and they suck XD
uuuh just press multiplayer, connect (left down) for masterserver and you will see up to 20 demo servers
Quote from Shotglass :
ah thats brilliant you can find it on the first setup screen while in the car

This is typical of why I hate nK, there used to be a perfectly good visual way of selecting a skin that made sense but he just had to remove it
Quote from BlueFlame : have you got the 3rd party server browser?

What third party server browser? I've been playing nKPro since day 1 and I've never seen or heard about a third party server browser.

Your mistaking it for something else me thinks.
Quote from niall09 :Nope.

It seems ridiculous, go to Aviano gp circuit and into T1 or T3 - brake at about 70% in a straight line and watch the car slide. If that happens in real life, I'll eat my hat.

Quote from tristancliffe :It doesn't happen in real life.

Its a setup thing. The brake ratio 63% to front wheels is too low. The rear always locks.

just change it to your preference. I have 70% to front wheels.
Quote from spyshagg :Its a setup thing. The brake ratio 63% to front wheels is too low. The rear always locks.

just change it to your preference. I have 70% to front wheels.

Lowering the brake multiplier to 80% seems to be the best setting as well. That goes for all cars ,imo.
can someone post the default sounds for F1600 (or can I just rename F1800 ones?) because gills sounds are bugged on MP ( i am hearing all cars on track asif I am on cockpit view... EVERY car.. 12 cars :P)
Oh dear! :eek: I will have to check that out.
Quote from The Moose :Lowering the brake multiplier to 80% seems to be the best setting as well. That goes for all cars ,imo.

yea i found 80% best for me too and really love that, feels so real, you can be full on brakes just for little bit, and then have to dose it thru whole brake zone. 70% balance for me
Quote from BlueFlame :can someone post the default sounds for F1600 (or can I just rename F1800 ones?) because gills sounds are bugged on MP ( i am hearing all cars on track asif I am on cockpit view... EVERY car.. 12 cars :P)

I really can't understand why that is happening. All I have done is change the wav samples. Do you or does anyone else have any idea why that is happening so I can try and sort it out ?
Quote from Gills4life :I really can't understand why that is happening. All I have done is change the wav samples. Do you or does anyone else have any idea why that is happening so I can try and sort it out ?

Haven't a clue. I was on a server so I asked why my sound was like this, and some Belgian guy said all sound updates have this bug, and he'd reported it to Stefano, to hopefully it can be fixed and you won't need to change anything. I just shipped all the .wav files from my F1800 folder into my F1600 folder and everything is fine now. It did sound good though Gills

NetKar Pro [v1.3 released]
(2766 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG