The online racing simulator
The GTA IV thread
(1843 posts, started )
Big lols, they managed to make a patch that makes it EVEN worse
It did fix my ZLIB20 error i got from time to time. All runs well for me now
Just got the patch... works nice, somehow it got my FPS up (Noticeably)
Just installed it aswell. The FPS is still shite, textures still missing(alot less though) and still weird shadows. So, meh. I don't really notice a thing. I wish 8.12 drivers would work...
The ONLY differences it has made for me are:

Sound goes wonky after running benchmark.
No more "MMA10" crashes if I start with R* Social Club logged in.

and thats about it..no noticeable difference in gfx, still cant run it properly in high..

Got to wait until a week Thursday to get my 9800GTX+ 1Gb vRAM.

I Know..a 260 would run a bit faster, but its a tough decision to swap a few cores for more vRAM... 260 goes past the £200 mark, whereas the 9800 is only £156. (AND I can get another one later when the price goes down a bit )
Quote from LFSn00b :Alright, wtf. If they had AA in GTA:SA PC version, im pretty sure they would've got AA in GTA 4 too?

Quote from Electrik Kar :It's probable that GTA IV uses deferred rendering (don't ask me what it means) which doesn't allow conventional AA. You could have AA in Stalker in Dx8 mode but not in Dx9 mode, which switched over to deferred rendering. In Clear Sky, you can have AA again in Dx10, but not Dx9, although I seemed to get it working anyway in Dx9(?).

I'm confused.

Exactly. Although I don't understand the technical aspects of it, GTA4 uses a lighting system that can't be used with AA under DX9. The quote in that interview is a huge simplification of issue - one that has all the n00blets at gtaf going "omfg R* u suk dik fuk u + die".

Sometimes I wonder whether these aforementioned people actually want to play the game, or just sit and stare at their screen. yes, the jaggies with no AA are unwelcome. Yes, the shadows look crap. But I'm still playing it, and enjoying it.
Quote from STROBE :Exactly. Although I don't understand the technical aspects of it, GTA4 uses a lighting system that can't be used with AA under DX9. The quote in that interview is a huge simplification of issue - one that has all the n00blets at gtaf going "omfg R* u suk dik fuk u + die".

Sometimes I wonder whether these aforementioned people actually want to play the game, or just sit and stare at their screen. yes, the jaggies with no AA are unwelcome. Yes, the shadows look crap. But I'm still playing it, and enjoying it.

Press "P" while ingame to activate blur and motion blur and you'll forget about crappy shadows and lack of antialiasing
Well, at least I do.
Quote from Velociround :Press "P" while ingame to activate blur and motion blur and you'll forget about crappy shadows and lack of antialiasing

I know, but I think the blur filter is awful. I'd rather have jaggies and a crisp screen than having everything look like I'm wearing the wrong glasses.
Quote from Bladerunner :
Got to wait until a week Thursday to get my 9800GTX+ 1Gb vRAM.

Ah well tell me how it runs then. I'm maybe going for that card as well.
Quote from Velociround :My first GTA IV Video. Click here to watch on youtube
~2min50

It's my first video and I'm very proud of it
I hope you like it
1920x1080
high/highest 50/100/100/30 (is it 30? I don't remember now, but shadow density is at maximum anyway)

Can I please have your PC? I am so jealous right now, nice video by the way, but it seemed less of a story and more of a random drive around the city with wonky camera angles. I did like the start of it, but I think it needed to be a bit shorter and show more of the stuff you can do in the game.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Can I please have your PC? I am so jealous right now, nice video by the way, but it seemed less of a story and more of a random drive around the city with wonky camera angles. I did like the start of it, but I think it needed to be a bit shorter and show more of the stuff you can do in the game.

After some time, video editing in GTA IV is pretty boring.. I wanted to make Niko go back to his home at the ending of the video, it was going to be the last scene, when the music ends, the scene was going to be him getting his car on the garage, making his way into his house (walking), opening the door, getting into the house, looking at the clock and then going to his bed to sleep, but I was so bored and tired of editing the video (I spent the whole day into it (no pauses for rest ), and it was like 6am already when I was finishing) so I gave up of the last scene, saved the video and slept
That just sounds like editing anyway, even something simple will take a long time to do if you want to do it right. Considering I wasted hours on GTA4 on the 360 just practicing stunt driving and ways to execute cool gunfights, I doubt I would get bored if I could edit that into a movie.
Where to get that new GTA patch?
Quote from Takumi_lfs :Where to get that new GTA patch?

gfwl will close your game and then prompt you to download and install the new patch..

edit: What I meant with "boring" or "tiring" was that I almost always get a "out of focus" error when editing the cameras in GTA IV, which means the game automatically turns my actual camera into the normal car camera with mouse and everything... I had to set about 38 custom cameras just for making the camera go through the bridge even the part when the camera is on the back of the car just following there are A LOT of cameras I had to make.. on 1920x1080 I can clearly see the car and it even looks big on the screen, I just put it a little further than the camera position, the car still looks huge on the screen but the game says its "OUT OF FOCUS" like if I couldn't see it at all anymore
I could let it go a lot further and I would still be able to see it clearly on the track but the game just resets the actual camera I'm working on and put a default mouse camera on it :irked: this is VERY annoying because I need to do everything again.. that's the only problem IMO I would spend much more time editing videos if the camera just allowed me to let the player get further than the actual position :irked:
Can you open trunks in the game?
You always see people with their trunks open and such.
Quote from BlakjeKaas :Can you open trunks in the game?

I've never tried it. I think the people with trunks open exist solely for the comedic effect of dragging them along behind the car when you steal it.

Which is quite funny tbh.

You're gonna hide a body in there, aren't you?
there is a mission where you have a body in the back of your car
hehe yeah. i was driving, someone backed up at me, and my first reaction was 'hm...' and then 'What the...' quite funny. Then you need to get out, and close it again
Dumb question, is it possible to get in the car as a passenger? (in multiplayer mode) If it is - how?

I think police and AI are the only ones that can do that...

Oh, and to get ina passenger's seat, do it like if it was a taxi press whatever key/button and let it pressed till your up.
Quote from G!NhO :there is a mission where you have a body in the back of your car

Yeah, I was lucky enough to roll the car in the first corner, and they didn't fall out, but the trunk fell off Next corner a cop spotted the trunk full of human, then it became a 4 star pursuit after I tried to shut them up. Damn sometimes this game can be really funny..
Quote from richukss :Dumb question, is it possible to get in the car as a passenger? (in multiplayer mode) If it is - how?

As chanoman said, hold the F (enter car) key for entering as a passenger.
I tried opening the trunk of some cars by pressing E (action button) but I wasn't able to open them
You CAN't open the trunks.

The GTA IV thread
(1843 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG