The online racing simulator
Cancel the above! It's just appeared. Did you flick a switch, Scawen?!
works very smooth so far thanks alot (XP PRO, Audigy 2 ZS + 5.1 Headphones)

Edit: somehow the sound is fading from left to right very quick but only when the cars gets close to the wall.

Test Area: XRT / KY Oval
Quote from SamH :I've started a U21/S1 server. It's there in S1 mode, and I can join it no problem, but can't see it in the list of servers when S2 is selected.

It's not the S1 server that needs to be U21. It's the guest. I can see 3 S1 severs in my list of games. Including UKCT S1 - is that yours?
How to reproduce the S1 servers not visible bug:

Switch "empty" to "no" after you've loaded the server list (in s2 mode) and all S1 servers, even those with players on it, will disappear. When you try to switch it back to "yes" and load the server list again, the empty s1 servers are gone as well.
I canrt hear my horns devs all i can hear is beep beep beep?
What is exactly what you hearing?
well its hard to say.
Some problems with the new sound system
Ok, I've tested and compared U21 to U20 (WinXP on a MacBook Pro with a Logitech USB headset) and it seems that there are some problems with the new sound system:

No sound in heli cam
With U21 you don't hear any engine sound in the heli cam.

More sound lag
With U20 I can set the sound lag to the lowest possible value (0.10s) and it sounds very smooth. With U21 I get the impression that the sound is delayed for a higher value. It's difficult to say how much, because it's all down to hearing it, but with the direct side by side comparison I'd say that the lag is around 0.20 s now, a lot higher than before.

More stuttering
When driving in a full field with a lot of cars around there are more sound stutters in U21.

Lower sound quality
When reving the engine of e.g. the BF1 in single player mode I get the impression, that some parts of the engine sounds are missing. It's difficult to describe, but I think some sound parts are kicking in after some time delay, in contrast to U20 where you can hear the whole engine sound right from the beginning.

Edit: The horns do work fine here. No difference to U20. Have you tried Shift + H?
Can someone test there horns on the new test patch and tell me if they work.
GP4FLo i could not work that out any better

do you also have that sound fading at some situations?
Quote from Scawen :WARNING : THIS IS A TEST WHICH IS LIKELY TO HAVE PROBLEMS

The sound system now works in a very different way! It's just the same old sounds but they don't use a prediction based on a position reported by Windows, instead they use a callback. This is supposed to fix the Windows Vista sound bug, and should, I hope, provide more responsive sound in other versions of Windows as well, and possibly give slight performance increase. But the changes are extensive and different parts of the program are trying to run at the same time, so there really might be some mysterious problems. There is no more "Sound Lag" slider bar.

CHANGES :

New strings for buttons : end race, spectate, join (were shared)
New string "play" instead of "OK" button in replay select screen
HLVC : NEXT lap is now not invalidated by driving the wrong way
S2 users can now see and join S1 hosts in List of Games screen
S1 users can now use the automatic skin download system
Included Czech translation of training lessons

FIX : When REV config replay was selected, REV was not displayed
FIX : When there were no SPR replays, MPR vanished from ALL view
FIX : Rare problem causing your car to vanish on other computers
FIX : Could not view user names in replay if MP mode was Demo
FIX : Bug in camera position height part of sound calculation
FIX : Unlocking is now possible in Windows Vista 64-bit
FIX : Sound should now work correctly in Windows Vista

NOTE : Translatable text updated

DOWNLOAD :

TEST PATCH U21 :
www.liveforspeed.net/file_lfs.php?name=LFS_U21_TEST.zip

DEDICATED HOST U21 (for hosting only) :
www.liveforspeed.net/file_lfs.php?name=LFS_S2_DEDI_U21.zip

Did you guys notice the disconnect problems?
Some other guy did have the same problem and after he changed back to the U version, it did o much better!!!!
There is considerable delay in the sound in U21, most noticeable (I didn't try all cars) with the XFG, and distracting in all cars. It feels like the sound is delayed for several tenths, but some cars are affected a lot more than others. XFG was the worst I experienced, the others were not "terrible", just bad ().

I found there was sound in every (preset) view. I'm currently in the process of obtaining Vista 64-bit RC2 to test the sound and unlocking on that too. From the 1 min tests I did, I didn't notice any connection problems.

The above applies to Athlon XP 64-bit, Win XP Pro 32-bit w/ SP2
Going to try this in Vista RC2 in a few minutes, just need to get the sound working in Vista (all pre installed drivers sucks in RC2).
all drivers sucks with vista becuase my mate had it could he find drivers for it yes but they didint work or something.
Quote from faster111 :all drivers sucks with vista becuase my mate had it could he find drivers for it yes but they didint work or something.

then your mate is an idiot - there are drivers and they do work, some aren't 100%, but they do work
Quote from Jakg :then your mate is an idiot - there are drivers and they do work, some aren't 100%, but they do work

well he mite be after 100% drivers.
Quote from Scawen :
The sound system now works in a very different way! It's just the same old sounds but they don't use a prediction based on a position reported by Windows, instead they use a callback.

Does this mean sound is now being generated in another thread and then 'added' when ready?
Quote from faster111 :well he mite be after 100% drivers.

when i say 100% i mean that they (just like Vista itself) is beta, and has a few random bugs, but they aren't too bad, although i'm really not a fan of Vista
ok anway can you hear your horns in the new test patch i canrt.
I can hear horn sounds but I have the same problems as GP4Flo.
i canrt hear them full stop.
Drivers installed, have "clicking" sound every other second or so (have same problem in XP with U20), works "somewhat" in Vista anyhow.

Crappy drivers is really annoying, hope some proper drivers get released soon.

I want to be able to use my H-buttons to, particular WLAN & Audio (only changes the sound for the H-button application now).

Enough testing for tonight, gotta go to bed soon if I want to be able to wake up for the F1 race tomorrow morning.
Quote from faster111 :ok anway can you hear your horns in the new test patch i canrt.

Yes, every single one of the 5. I can't see why they'd be affected anyways, as they bear no relevance to the engine sound generating thingy.
Quote from Jakg :when i say 100% i mean that they (just like Vista itself) is beta, and has a few random bugs, but they aren't too bad, although i'm really not a fan of Vista

Vista got a lot better in RC2, feels more responsive and much faster to install (like a thrid of the previous time).

Still some things that need to be done before RTM tho.
RTM? I just think they need to write "VISTA IS A BETA - DO NOT USE AS YOUR MAIN OS, IT CAN AND WILL LOOSE ALL YOUR DATA SO DON'T COMPLAIN!" in big letters

Horns work fine, although 1 sounds "different" (although i have ubdated my Chipset drivers which also did my Audio drivers
This thread is closed

Cleanup : Posts moved here after processing
(1871 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG