The online racing simulator
New Version 0.6T - More robust multiplayer system
(226 posts, started )
Our plan is to do a small presentation in August. We want to write a little about the shadows and lighting and do some high resolution shots to illustrate.

Anyway, to thank you for being so patient, here's another medium resolution Westhill shot from a different angle in that same weather.

Again 1600x900 at this camera position:
/cp -8104131 21192096 392929 3623 300 0.0 40.0
Attached images
lfs_00000311.jpg
This is great how the shadows are set everywhere Thumbs up ... looks like the position of sun all around the day is to come in the future Smile
The new lighting system and shadows looks so good, I just can't wait to try it! Thank you! Heart
The specular highlighting in this one is beautiful Thumbs up
Looks pretty fantastic, good job Smile
GG!
Quote from Scawen :Our plan is to do a small presentation in August. We want to write a little about the shadows and lighting and do some high resolution shots to illustrate.

Anyway, to thank you for being so patient, here's another medium resolution Westhill shot from a different angle in that same weather.

Again 1600x900 at this camera position:
/cp -8104131 21192096 392929 3623 300 0.0 40.0

These roads look bloody amazing!
These shots are quite an evolution and made me question if it could eventually lead to adjustable hour of the day (or night). Either way it's great, thanks for sharing Scawen!
Quote from Skytrill :These shots are quite an evolution and made me question if it could eventually lead to adjustable hour of the day (or night). Either way it's great, thanks for sharing Scawen!

It's a start. Thumbs up Dynamic shadows and ambient lighting are steps in this direction. Then it needs at least procedural sky and clouds, and after that, it would need to support spotlights on tracks and cars. And all of these can be long to develop if you want it to be fast, stable and nice looking. Nod
You're right, it's much more work indeed and beside, we are already spoiled with this new shadow system. Can't wait to try it out Big grin
Hm...That is not even best shot yet! It's obviously a fact.
Nice to see some news about the graphical overhaul, I bet on Eric being motivated again and working harder on LFS when he see how good his work is rendred now ingame.

So now we have diffuse and glossy material, specular map and real time shadows ? is there any plan introducing normal maps into the game or some sorte of layering through RGB mask or similar technique for more varied textures ?

And one last stupid question : is developing/improving graphic engine more rewarding than physics coding ?
Quote from Tomislav531 :LOL you completely screwed up your game didnt you? Lol what are you doing XD

well take a look in misc addons. then you will know .

no my game is not screwed up. but this was form one of the mods i am building. but graphics should still not do that. and it is a legal mod aswell. and scawen knows about me doing them , so not sure why you come at me as you do. my game isnt screwed up. i also got a working vanilla lfs. no toppings though.besides i also wrote all this takes to fix is a simple restart of LFS.

Quote from nacim :

Am I seeing reflections with a fresnel effect on this post? Big grin

i think you might be right Nacim. in the night mod there is already reflection on this file /post /pole.

so is highly likely itll be more in update.are you using your own shaders nacim?
because the left image in your post does not look like my game. the right one does infact. so was thinking if you use your own you may not see that effect proper maybe?

Quote from Flame CZE :Side-by-side comparison for those interested:

https://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/juxtapose/latest/embed/index.html?uid=2703f5ca-8e92-11e8-b263-0edaf8f81e27

nice comparison. but pussles me a bit why you didnt just upload the pic here instead of a link ? could have wished to see a little more of the old one. but very nice.

Quote from Scawen :That corner now has 3D kerbs.

Using this camera position: /cp -3052607 -1380642 67659 -21680 548 0.0 40.0

Attached screenshot at resolution 1600x900.

funny you chose this curb to show us. because i was just editting that very file yesterday. lol. are we on the same path here or what,lol. well atleast now that i know how itll look i am also suspecting it to be very much a file like on blw´s new curbs. which i find highly nice. but also gives me an idea of what it is youre going to update on tracks. all in just one small screenie. thanks for that. and yes i very much like the shadows and lightning in this preview preview. thx again for making LFS even better ~wiz

EDIT: come to think of it. this curb was infact already changed one time after the new westhill update wasnt it ? i remember 2 colors namely green and darker green .but one was green and white only right? (small changes people dont notice in development) Big grin

EDIT2: this is the reason i suggested Eric to have a thread here on forums where he can explain to us what he is changing and maybe also why .(example : alignment dint fit or something). but i think a thread from Eric would do alot of explaining to peoples questions towards file making and what files to choose to make. just a thought i hope Eric also would like Smile
Quote from Scawen :

Looks really awesome, and brings LFS to 2010 decade. Will be interesting to see the reaction on sim racing forums around. Personally I'm fine also with current graphics even my PC can handle also heavier stuff.

What I love more is those possible nice little fixes in the tracks as you described the one curb at Westhill. I can't be silent about Fern Bay, currently there are just so much curves and curbs that can be cut jumping over the grass. I deeply wish the update will bring new curbs to Fern Bay and make it a track that is meant to drive inside track lines to reach best lap times.

(Also there is so great potential for additional layouts on Fern Bay and South City....Taped Shut)
Quote from lucaf :I deeply wish the update will bring new curbs to Fern Bay and make it a track that is meant to drive inside track lines to reach best lap times.

I don't want to drive this topic off-topic, but that thing about FE. As much as I (personally) like it, we all know what it's like right now and would definitely need some improvements. Last week, when we raced on Fern Bay (182nd RTFR), I thought exactly the same as lucaf here (highlighted in bold). It's really a pity there are many corners where we cross the white line - not with 2 wheels, but like with the width of 2-3 cars (for example the turn near the beach and the start/finish straight of Green). It would be so much challenging to restrict the racing area this way (would probably need a Fern Bay PB- and WR-wipe on LFSW). Maybe this calls for a FE remake, which is not really a priority right now, and that's of course acceptable. Just wanted to mention that I completely agree with the point of lucaf. Smile Looking forward to the teasers, I really like what I see on the last two screenshots with the new graphics, great job! Smile
guys. when devs say graphical update. my initial thought is. fernbay inclusive. i also think devs have fernbay in a special place as it was the or one of the first tracks ever in lfs. i think you should not worry. because fernbay will be included in this update aswell as SO and i think aston gets a makeover too as aston is not many files and would be an easy track for super Eric to update Smile i think you should worry not. im sure devs are perfectly aware of what users would like to see . just saying as i see all these wishes and things. that is why we got the suggestion threads right. and devs do read them. patience and worry not . devs got this im sure!

EDIT: i too was driving FE y-day. thinking abnout the curbs. mostly because i changed all of them to another look.but came to think. this and this curb could really use a makeover. so im a +1 . but devs got this.
Quote from Scawen :
Anyway, to thank you for being so patient,

Like it or not I have to be patient because I do not like physics in any other game.But I'll be completely honest,the progress on the new tyres physics is painfully slow.
Can I give few small suggestions bofore next version kicks in? I know this is not the right thread to post in, but I want to make sure to be noticed, also these suggestions are extremely simple, would cost minimal effort to implement and would enhance the gameplay by a lot. Anyway:

- Can you give us a very large (the bigger the better, but 2x2 km would be a good startpoint) flat plane floating in the middle of nothing? Don't need any physical borders or parking lot textures, just a big flat piece of tarmac. For layout purposes of course - all the autocross areas and parking lots in this game are so small, I can't even recreate those tiny Formula E tracks because of lack of space I'm given. It's very painful and diappointing and I'm losing motivation to keep working on layouts because of that quite often...

- Can you implement the ability to limit the maximal fuel load in the car for the race? (just as you can limit the engine power with intake restrictor) - the idea behind this is to do races with limited amount of fuel (which is actually very interesting strategical element) and/or to force drivers to pit and refuel in somewhat-specific window...

How hard would these be?
Quote from michal 1279 :snip

It is suggested way before several times, with several purposes. And I will always give +1 regardless of any.

Limited fuel load. Also suggested before and also giving +1 regardless of any. Smile
Quote from UnknownMaster21 :It is suggested way before several times, with several purposes. And I will always give +1 regardless of any.

Limited fuel load. Also suggested before and also giving +1 regardless of any. Smile

I know, it was more of a reminder that these requests are still valid and with new version coming soon™ I think it is a good time to make the call again Wink
Quote from Gutholz :You can move the white slider between old/new image.

oh. i didnt notice that. thank you Big grin and good word again to flame.

Quote from michal 1279 :Can I give few small suggestions bofore next version kicks in? I know this is not the right thread to post in, but I want to make sure to be noticed,

and thats why we see alot of spam. because developer WILL see your posts her4e : https://www.lfs.net/forum/8-Improvement-Suggestions

dont get me wrong on this. but everyone wants to get noticed. and with i think around 300.000 users. that pretty much impossible for devs to get into all. my own thought is devs take what they think could be useful to LFS and/or community. which goes by their vision. so they do listen to the community but also have their own vision. hope it helped a bit to better understand why forums is diveded into these sections. .
-
(THE WIZARD DK) DELETED by THE WIZARD DK : quote was supposed to be in other post and this was a double post.
Quote from michal 1279 :I know, it was more of a reminder that these requests are still valid and with new version coming soon™ I think it is a good time to make the call again Wink

Definitely I see your point, no matter what...

...but still... Big grin I believe, this is how devs would act right now!

New Version 0.6T - More robust multiplayer system
(226 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG