The online racing simulator
You're right, it's much more work indeed and beside, we are already spoiled with this new shadow system. Can't wait to try it out Big grin
Hm...That is not even best shot yet! It's obviously a fact.
Nice to see some news about the graphical overhaul, I bet on Eric being motivated again and working harder on LFS when he see how good his work is rendred now ingame.

So now we have diffuse and glossy material, specular map and real time shadows ? is there any plan introducing normal maps into the game or some sorte of layering through RGB mask or similar technique for more varied textures ?

And one last stupid question : is developing/improving graphic engine more rewarding than physics coding ?
Quote from Scawen :
Anyway, to thank you for being so patient, here's another medium resolution Westhill shot from a different angle in that same weather.

Looks really awesome, and brings LFS to 2010 decade. Will be interesting to see the reaction on sim racing forums around. Personally I'm fine also with current graphics even my PC can handle also heavier stuff.

What I love more is those possible nice little fixes in the tracks as you described the one curb at Westhill. I can't be silent about Fern Bay, currently there are just so much curves and curbs that can be cut jumping over the grass. I deeply wish the update will bring new curbs to Fern Bay and make it a track that is meant to drive inside track lines to reach best lap times.

(Also there is so great potential for additional layouts on Fern Bay and South City....Taped Shut)
Quote from lucaf :I deeply wish the update will bring new curbs to Fern Bay and make it a track that is meant to drive inside track lines to reach best lap times.

I don't want to drive this topic off-topic, but that thing about FE. As much as I (personally) like it, we all know what it's like right now and would definitely need some improvements. Last week, when we raced on Fern Bay (182nd RTFR), I thought exactly the same as lucaf here (highlighted in bold). It's really a pity there are many corners where we cross the white line - not with 2 wheels, but like with the width of 2-3 cars (for example the turn near the beach and the start/finish straight of Green). It would be so much challenging to restrict the racing area this way (would probably need a Fern Bay PB- and WR-wipe on LFSW). Maybe this calls for a FE remake, which is not really a priority right now, and that's of course acceptable. Just wanted to mention that I completely agree with the point of lucaf. Smile Looking forward to the teasers, I really like what I see on the last two screenshots with the new graphics, great job! Smile
Quote from Scawen :
Anyway, to thank you for being so patient,

Like it or not I have to be patient because I do not like physics in any other game.But I'll be completely honest,the progress on the new tyres physics is painfully slow.
Can I give few small suggestions bofore next version kicks in? I know this is not the right thread to post in, but I want to make sure to be noticed, also these suggestions are extremely simple, would cost minimal effort to implement and would enhance the gameplay by a lot. Anyway:

- Can you give us a very large (the bigger the better, but 2x2 km would be a good startpoint) flat plane floating in the middle of nothing? Don't need any physical borders or parking lot textures, just a big flat piece of tarmac. For layout purposes of course - all the autocross areas and parking lots in this game are so small, I can't even recreate those tiny Formula E tracks because of lack of space I'm given. It's very painful and diappointing and I'm losing motivation to keep working on layouts because of that quite often...

- Can you implement the ability to limit the maximal fuel load in the car for the race? (just as you can limit the engine power with intake restrictor) - the idea behind this is to do races with limited amount of fuel (which is actually very interesting strategical element) and/or to force drivers to pit and refuel in somewhat-specific window...

How hard would these be?
Quote from michal 1279 :snip

It is suggested way before several times, with several purposes. And I will always give +1 regardless of any.

Limited fuel load. Also suggested before and also giving +1 regardless of any. Smile
Quote from UnknownMaster21 :It is suggested way before several times, with several purposes. And I will always give +1 regardless of any.

Limited fuel load. Also suggested before and also giving +1 regardless of any. Smile

I know, it was more of a reminder that these requests are still valid and with new version coming soon™ I think it is a good time to make the call again Wink
Quote from michal 1279 :I know, it was more of a reminder that these requests are still valid and with new version coming soon™ I think it is a good time to make the call again Wink

Definitely I see your point, no matter what...

...but still... Big grin I believe, this is how devs would act right now!

Quote from Scawen :Our plan is to do a small presentation in August. We want to write a little about the shadows and lighting and do some high resolution shots to illustrate.

Anyway, to thank you for being so patient, here's another medium resolution Westhill shot from a different angle in that same weather.

Again 1600x900 at this camera position:
/cp -8104131 21192096 392929 3623 300 0.0 40.0

very good Thumbs up
Quote from Scawen :Our plan is to do a small presentation in August. We want to write a little about the shadows and lighting and do some high resolution shots to illustrate.

Well. Damn. That is some incredible sheen.

I love the new textures, everything looks so amazing
I can't wait to try it out
Quote from sermilan :It shows a blank page for me... Shrug

Hmm, blank for me as well in a private window - works fine if I've already been to the site though.
I've been told it works eventually if you refresh a few times.

Never used that site before, so no idea what's going on.
did not succeed aswell Frown . Even tried with internet exlorer, ctrl+F5 ...
Quote from Victor :It tries to load an image from imgur but imgur returns a 403 Forbidden. I guess they don't like the referrer (cdn.knightlab.com)? Try hosting the image on another website.

Works fine for me Shrug
Yesterday it worked.
Now it's just a blank page for me too.
It shows a blank page for me.
-
(lucaf) DELETED by lucaf : misunderstanding
it works..
you have to allow scripts in your noscript or umatrix.

also the sun is standing differently in the pictures, see the shadows
Scawen and weight level for example? will pull much more by the medium computers? Smile
Yes a more modern graphics card will help. The shadow maps and high resolution textures do make the card work harder. But I don't suggest buying one now as it is still quite a long time until release. We cannot give any estimate. I hope to be able to add graphics options to make it run better on older cards but maybe we can see about that when it gets to test patch stage.

NOTE: I'm just thinking out loud, these thoughts are how I imagine things going, not how it will actually happen, and they are not promises.

New Version 0.6T - More robust multiplayer system
(210 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG