The online racing simulator
Quote from PhilS13 :+1

WTF is going on with the nose talk? Tire to tire flipped the car, nothing else.

Rosberg showed yesterday he has almost zero chance at the WDC.

Rosberg seems equal in speed, he may not be able to beat hamilton on track, but he can still pass him on the pit-stops, just like schumacher did in his whole career.
Quote from sinbad : I think Rosberg should have managed to find a way past given the tyre advantage. Whilst he is certainly a quick driver, I don't think the wheel to wheel stuff is his strong point.

It's not particularly important in F1 though. Being smart enough to drive the car in the right way to exploit the formula is arguably more important, and Hamilton has never excelled at that.
Quote from thisnameistaken :It's not particularly important in F1 though. Being smart enough to drive the car in the right way to exploit the formula is arguably more important, and Hamilton has never excelled at that.

True enough! I certainly feel like they have a fairly even shot at the WDC, though if they're easily 1-2ing every round it might come down to luck with reliability as much as anything else, anyway.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Don't get sucked into the black hole of Kingsbury logic.

Well, I saw a youtube comment and a comment in here so I thought there was something
Quote from Test Driver :Rosberg seems equal in speed, he may not be able to beat hamilton on track, but he can still pass him on the pit-stops, just like schumacher did in his whole career.

looking at Bahrian in detail rosberg had no real excuse for not winning, hamiltons advantage on the softs was destroyed by the safety car then had to defend on worse tyres.
Quote from thisnameistaken :It's not particularly important in F1 though. Being smart enough to drive the car in the right way to exploit the formula is arguably more important, and Hamilton has never excelled at that.

I think this has to be a myth. For arguments sake let's take the disaster 2011 out of the equation. I am not sure how anyone who has twice beaten a reigning world champion in the same car as well as Rosberg (who was superior to Schumacher in his come back) can be considered as not being 'smart' enough to exploit a formula. Unless one considers Alonso, Button and Rosberg stupid.

Also the control at which Hamilton won Malaysia and then to win in a completely different manner in Bahrain is not a 'stupid' driver. This argument comes from the same people who said a driver like Hamilton would suffer in the new era of tyre/fuel management and Button/Alonso/Vettel would excel. Where are they now?

And let's not forget who has exploited 2014 more than anyone? Who left what was at the time a proven race-winning team to join one that barely had scraped any success in the years post-09 preceding the move?

No doubt I'll be called a fanboy, admittedly I've followed Hamilton since he was 8 so you can forgive me on that one, but stupid he very much isn't.
Quote from Test Driver :Rosberg seems equal in speed, he may not be able to beat hamilton on track, but he can still pass him on the pit-stops, just like schumacher did in his whole career.

Impossible in the non-refuelling era. Lead driver always get preference in pit stop strategy. That's why Hamilton fought like a nutcase prior to the first stop. If you're first in you get fresh tyures.
Quote from Intrepid :Also the control at which Hamilton won Malaysia and then to win in a completely different manner in Bahrain is not a 'stupid' driver.

I don't think he's stupid, I think he gets too involved in the moment and doesn't look at the big picture. Alonso and Vettel are much better at managing a race than Hamilton.
Quote from Intrepid :I think this has to be a myth. For arguments sake let's take the disaster 2011 out of the equation. I am not sure how anyone who has twice beaten a reigning world champion in the same car as well as Rosberg (who was superior to Schumacher in his come back) can be considered as not being 'smart' enough to exploit a formula. Unless one considers Alonso, Button and Rosberg stupid.

Also the control at which Hamilton won Malaysia and then to win in a completely different manner in Bahrain is not a 'stupid' driver. This argument comes from the same people who said a driver like Hamilton would suffer in the new era of tyre/fuel management and Button/Alonso/Vettel would excel. Where are they now?

And let's not forget who has exploited 2014 more than anyone? Who left what was at the time a proven race-winning team to join one that barely had scraped any success in the years post-09 preceding the move?

No doubt I'll be called a fanboy, admittedly I've followed Hamilton since he was 8 so you can forgive me on that one, but stupid he very much isn't.

Usually fans put drivers in a certain category and reject the possibility that they can adapt. Hamilton was horrible at race/tyre management. Not seeing that would make you a fanboy.

When he finally learned that it was a required skill to win a championship in modern F1 he quickly adapted. He is now very good at it and he hasn't lost his wheel-to-wheel skills.

Rosberg had to pass him on the better tire...IMO the only chance he has left at the WDC is through bigtime luck.
No doubt Hamilton is a lot better than he's ever been - up until this year he was almost always very very bad at "race management". Whilst one swallow does not make a summer, he does look to have improved in this regard, but I wouldn't consider him above average in thinking yet.

Hats off to him for keeping a quicker Rosberg at bay, but the track layout did help the defence a lot of the time. He still had to do it, but had this battle been at several other tracks he's have been unable to do manage it. Suspect that the season result will have more to do with reliability and the development race rather than driver attributes though, as their strengths cancel out the others weaknesses over a year. Probably. Maybe.
Quote from PhilS13 :

Rosberg had to pass him on the better tire...IMO the only chance he has left at the WDC is through bigtime luck.

He outqualified him, and had he not been outdragged off the line then the race result probably would have been reversed - so I don't see how he needs big time luck to win the championship when he is already ahead.

Perhaps the race was more an indicator of their different styles, Lewis stuck it all on the line and often forced Nico to be in a situation where he had to back out of it or crash. Lewis has always had a tendency to have a racing incident or 2 during a season which end up costing him. Even in 2011 which is regarded as 1 of his worst seasons, there were moments of racing brilliance(Germany and China for example) along with the bad points, so I don't think he's transformed into a different style of racer overnight. The new formula probably suites him better than the previous Pirelli years, as the tyres wear because they are too hard now rather than too soft - but that's about it.

I'd admit that I would be surprised if Rosberg beat Hamilton over a season, but it's not hard to imagine, the difference between the 2 is fairly small. Even if it does continue to be a Merc domination, hopefully the championship battle can keep the races at the front interesting like it did at Bahrain.
Maybe Rosberg needs to have a beer with Alonso. Alonso could then share how switch-backs work despite Spaniard temperament. Might be of good use in Chineze hairpin. Still, even when Rosberg would pull switch-back off I imagine Hamilton would stay in DRS and the battle would go on. The true never give up spirit Lewis.
#764 - CSF
The hard tyre wasn't that far off after the first few laps. We saw that in Nico's stint, and we saw Lewis was able to control the gap a bit better after he went through a few laps too.
#765 - col
Quote from tristancliffe :...Whilst one swallow does not make a summer...

...and one massive chip on the shoulder does not make a tasty butty!
Nice how Maldonado demands a team change, and when he gets it his new team is crap and the old one is at the top half of the field
Quote from CSF :The hard tyre wasn't that far off after the first few laps. We saw that in Nico's stint, and we saw Lewis was able to control the gap a bit better after he went through a few laps too.

Indeed. 5s of the 9.5s gap before the safety car came through Merc deciding to leave Nico out for 2 laps longer than Lewis in the first stint, so Nico didn't lose too much in the 2nd stint with them.
Quote from IsaacPrice :Indeed. 5s of the 9.5s gap before the safety car came through Merc deciding to leave Nico out for 2 laps longer than Lewis in the first stint, so Nico didn't lose too much in the 2nd stint with them.

At least a couple of tenths per lap (which on that circuit basically means 2 tenths of traction advantage), plus the DRS advantage, no fuel saving concerns at all, not really any tyre longevity concerns either although they did drop off towards the end, and nobody behind to worry about.

He'll be disappointed that he didn't do the job, once the safety car came out it was the dream scenario for him. If he couldn't get it done in that situation, you really can't see him doing it any other time.
Hamilton hasn't changed at all. All we've seen with Hamilton is what happens when you give him a dominant car.

The same way we're seeing Vettel become a bit moany and grumpy and have sporadic performances since he has been given a below-par car.
Quote from Intrepid :The same way we're seeing Vettel become a bit moany and grumpy and have sporadic performances since he has been given a below-par car.

Would YOU be happy in that kind of situation?
Lewis has laid the foundation for Rosberg domination tbh, Bahrain would of been an easy win for Hamilton had the safety car not came out combine that with the domination of Malaysia and it starts to paint a picture.

only Hamilton retirement in Australia makes the points look close.

It's Hamiltons championship to lose, the only way that it wont happen is if he has his now and then lost stretch like at Abu Dahbi last year, but considering he knows the title is in the bag I doubt you will see that this year.

Rosberg is good and is clearly more focused then Hamilton and i can see him being a 1 time world champ before retiring, but Hamilton has much more talent then him and its obvious, its still unclear if Hamilton has the focus to develop a string of good performances together though.
Hi! I'm planning to go to the German Grand Prix this summer so I want a little help from the people that have gone to that event, where is the best part of the circuit to watch the race? Which Grandstand do I choose, seating low or high?
Thank you very much

Same for Hungarian GP
Wish I had your kind of money to burn. I couldn't even afford to fly to Texas if I wanted to.
Austin is 6 hour drive for me so, I don't have to pay 500+ dollars for plane tickets.
-
(dawesdust_12) DELETED by Scawen : spam and responses to spam
-
(Mustangman759) DELETED by Scawen : spam and responses to spam
-
(dawesdust_12) DELETED by Scawen : spam and responses to spam
Quote from chanoman315 :Hi! I'm planning to go to the German Grand Prix this summer so I want a little help from the people that have gone to that event, where is the best part of the circuit to watch the race? Which Grandstand do I choose, seating low or high?
Thank you very much Thumbs up

Same for Hungarian GP Big grin

I'm not sure whether you will get a lot of information on this topic on the LFS forum, but you can try these (1 2) forum topics where you might find help. Wink
This thread is closed

Formula 1 Season 2014
(1760 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG