2013 Formula 1 Season
It's that time of year! The time we make a new thread to voice our distaste for Bernie, various drivers, and the sport we continue to watch despite the "If X happens I'll stop watching" comments every year. Here's some info for you:
Current FIA Schedule:
Australia (Melbourne) - 17 March
Malaysia (Sepang) - 24 March
China (Shanghai) - 14 April
Bahrain (Sakhir) - 21 April
Spain (Barcelona) - 12 May
Monaco - 26 May
Canada (Montreal) - 9 June
Britain (Silverstone) - 30 June
Germany (Nurburgring) - 7 July
Unknown* - 21 July
Hungary (Hungaroring) - 28 July
Belgium (Spa-Francorchamps) - 25 August
Italy (Monza) - 8 September
Singapore (Marina Bay) - 22 September
Korea (Yeongam) - 6 October
Japan (Suzuka) - 13 October
India (Buddh International) - 27 October
Abu Dhabi (Yas Marina) - 3 November
United States (Austin) - 17 November
Brazil (Interlagos) - 24 November
*Reserved for officially unspecified European event (unofficially Turkey)
Current Drivers and Seats:
1. Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull
2. Mark Webber, Red Bull
3. Fernando Alonso, Ferrari
4. Felipe Massa, Ferrari
5. Jenson Button, McLaren
6. Sergio Perez, McLaren
7. Kimi Raikkonen, Lotus
8. Romain Grosjean, Lotus
9. Nico Rosberg, Mercedes
10. Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes
11. Niko Hulkenberg, Sauber
12. Esteban Gutierrez, Sauber
14. Paul di Resta, Force India
15. Adrian Sutil, Force India
16. Pastor Maldonado, Williams
17. Valtteri Bottas, Williams
18. Daniel Ricciardo, Toro Rosso
19. Jean-Eric Vergne, Toro Rosso
20. Charles Pic, Caterham
21. Giedo van der Garde, Caterham
22. Jules Bianchi, Marussia
23. Max Chilton, Marussia
- Qualifying is modified so the last 6 spots are set in Q3, the next 6 in Q2 and the top 10 in Q3. This accounts for the loss of two cars, setting the grid at 22 positions.
- Two DRS zones will be used on every track where it is seen feasible. DRS usage will be limited to these zones in practice and qualifying, as it is during the race.
- Cars must still return to the pits after qualifying under their own strength, unless the team can adequately demonstrate that outside forces (imminent technical failure) prevented the car from doing so.
- Penalty System has been revised so that drivers will acquire points on their Super Licenses for driving infringements (same as points on road licenses). After a set number of points, the driver will be suspended from racing.
- Mid-season testing is once again banned as a cost cutting measure.
- Entry fees for the season are based on last year's points system. All teams pay a €389,525 base fee, plus €3,895 per point scored in the previous year. Old system had all teams pay €309,000. For reference, this year Red Bull pays €2,507,091.
- "Modesty Plates" are allowed, meant to cover up 2012 style platypus noses.
- Overhaul of front-wing testing procedures to reduce exploits in flexible bodywork regulations.
- Double DRS system banned, specifically Mercedes style solutions.
- Only 51% (7 teams) of teams need to agree to regulation changes for chnges to be accepted. Previous years saw a 70% (9 teams) vote required.
- HRT is not listed as a 2013 Entrant
- Spanish Grand Prix is to rotate between Barcelona and Valencia, the European GP is discontinued.
- Rumors circulating that the Austrian GP could return (21st of July), denied by Bernie.
- Hungaroring expected to undergo track changes.
- New Jersey Grand Prix postponed to 2014.
- Commercial rights for the sport to be floated on stock exchanges, but delayed due to Europe's questionable economic future.