The online racing simulator
Quote from DieKolkrabe :That's the big issue though. V8 needs something like the old CART safety team both in terms of professionalism and actual attendance at races. I don't see why the usual medical team were not contracted for the race. Yes, he has a point, but knee jerk reactions aren't the way to go, and adding in a SAFER barrier won't fix the issue. Remember F1? They went through a turn very, very similar for several years with only Mika's bad crash in 95

But, In the current layout, in 2009, Ashley Cooper dies there. (I was sitting on that corner too. ) (a VERY slight change has been made since 2009.)
Quote from DieKolkrabe :Remember F1? They went through a turn very, very similar for several years with only Mika's bad crash in 95

No, it was not very similar. With the current layout (used for V8 Supercars and several other categories) there is a solid row of concrete barriers on the outside of the turn literally centimetres away from the normal racing line. The approach speed for the turn (in V8 Supercars) is approximately 240 kph (~150mph). Any car problem (broken steering, stuck throttle, suspension failure) and you're heading straight into that wall. In F1 (in the corner where Hakkinen crashed) there was a run-off area (albeit over a badly-placed kerb) of 20-30 metres and a row of tyres. See this for F1 reference and this for the current version.

For this turn, the only sensible option (given that they are reluctant to move the wall back) is to use safer barriers.
SAFER Barriers a good for reducing energy in a colision with a wall. Tire barriers are good for corners in which the outside wall is unlikely to be struck by a competitive racer. Sonoma's turn 11 is a good example. A car that hits that was done no matter what the wall was made out of. A SAFER barrier gives the same cusion while allowing competitors to have a smooth barrier that doesn't go in and out or pull their car in should they side-swipe it.

The tires were a good choice when the wall was away from the racing surface. A SAFER barrier would be good to the wall on the side of the track option.

HANS Device: http://www.nascar.com/news/120911/ups-hans-device/index.html
Quote from DieKolkrabe :I've said it before. I'll say it again. SAFER barriers aren't needed on road courses period.

They are designed for one specific job, stopping stock cars on ovals. Not stopping stock cars on road courses, where other methods exist (Grass, gravel, tire walls, armco, concrete, etc)

The sooner NASCAR snaps out of its 'every track needs SAFER barriers' mentality, and actually works on something that can suit the majority of races being held the better. It's not just about NASCAR and NASCAR only. Any safety solution should IMO benefit as many series and styles of racing as possible. That seems obvious, but no. There seems to be a one series first and **** the others mentality in the USA (and the rest of the world to a lesser degree)

Also the thing people forget...is SAFER walls were not actually a NASCAR invention. They were invented by Nebraska-Lincoln at IMS' request, installed for the IROC race....and tested by Arie in that race. But they were tested with IRL cars at the time.

Yes I dislike the SAFER barrier system, I will say that time and again. Not because I'm a sick freak who loves watching drivers get hurt. Far from it, I want the sport safe...but I think the SAFER barrier isn't the right way to go.

I dislike it also because it is helping a portion of fans come up with idiotic comments and mindsets like 'nobody can get hurt in NASCAR now' and the whole NASCAR fanbase jumping up and taking credit for it and HANS (which no, NASCAR did not invent either, contrary to what people online claim and bitch and whine when told otherwise and shown the history of the HANS device and the soft walls)

I would love for the Trucks to go back to ORP or South Boston or Hickory, but I'm skeptical about the whole NASCAR pushing SAFER barriers on every track they go to with their top series and expecting track owners to foot the bill for it.

(As a sidenote, would Bernie/FOM/FOTA/FIA block SAFER barriers being put in at Montreal due to the F1 there? Just curious, I know he blocked Indy going to Interlagos so they had to run on the street track.)

Pretty useless rant when you reread the quote I posted. The SAFER barrier discussion is for the possible short tracks in the calendar next year, not anything to do with road courses.

The Mosport construction is most likely because it has no grandstands, and it needs to be more fan friendly (NASCAR digs that). So it needs to be "under construction" in order to make those accommodations.
16.02.2013 Shootout - Daytona (no points)
21.02.2013 Budweiser Duels - Daytona (no points)
24.02.2013 Daytona 500
03.03.2013 Phoenix
10.03.2013 Las Vegas
17.03.2013 Bristol
24.03.2013 Fontana
07.04.2013 Martinsville
13.04.2013 Fort Worth
21.04.2013 Kansas City
27.04.2013 Richmond
05.05.2013 Talladega
11.05.2013 Darlington
18.05.2013 All-Star-Race - Charlotte (no points)
26.05.2013 Charlotte
02.06.2013 Dover
09.06.2013 Pocono
16.06.2013 Brooklyn
23.06.2013 Sonoma
30.06.2013 Sparta
06.07.2013 Daytona
14.07.2013 Loudon
28.07.2013 Indianapolis
04.08.2013 Pocono
11.08.2013 Watkins Glen
18.08.2013 Brooklyn
24.08.2013 Bristol
01.09.2013 Atlanta
07.09.2013 Richmond
---Chase---
15.09.2013 Joliet
22.09.2013 Loudon
29.09.2013 Dover
06.10.2013 Kansas City
12.10.2013 Charlotte
20.10.2013 Talladega
27.10.2013 Martinsville
03.11.2013 Fort Worth
10.11.2013 Phoenix
17.11.2013 Homestead
Thanks for posting that schedule Thilo . I hadn't really had the time to look at it too deeply. I would love to go to Darlington for the Southern 500 this year, but it would get in the way of finals because I'd want to and (almost) need to miss Friday before hand (9 hour drive from here) I always have wanted to go to my favorite track, but it'll have to wait another year. I was hoping the schedule would put the Southern 500 after the All-star & Coke 600 weekends, but it's not. I don't think it ever does the way it is now

Never really stop to think about how long the season is, but it's long when you list it like that . I'd like to see some 1.5 mile tri-ovals disappear from that schedule... even if it does mean Kentucky (Sparta) goes away. As I've said before, I'd also like to see road courses or unique ovals in their place, but I don't see it happening too soon. The Glen can't fill their seats and New Hampshire can despite the racing quality . Until that changes we'll likely not see the Sprint Cup Series at many more road courses

You'd think road races like the last would make fans beg for more road courses, but it doesn't because JR sucks at road courses (okay, maybe not the reason why, but it's a little bit of it )
It's just the 2011 schedule. And even that compared to this year was switching Kansas and Dega due to Kansas repave. Nothing special.
Yea speed is changing again...
That series is always a good watch. Couple years ago the finish at Toronto was so close there was literally a car on top of the other.
http://www.nascar.com/news/120 ... sting-for-2013/index.html

Testing is open for 2013 as PMD said, but teams regardless of their car count are limited to 4 tests at santioned tracks. Very fair and hopefully it will even up the competition a little more. Seems like the racing quality went down when testing was disallowed.
Quote from DieKolkrabe :See my rant above your post. SAFER barriers at Adelaide? Not only would it narrow the course, it's just plain stupid. You can't just move the roads can you (well, unless you're Valencia) and go and screw around with a city for the sake of making a once a year sporting event safer. For 362 days a year, the street track's public roads. V8s are already safe for the most part (Reindler's BBQ last year excepted, but that could happen to any car in that situation).

It's funny though, I'm amazed they aren't screaming for SAFER walls at Bathurst, or do they know just what kind of a shitstorm that'd cause?

Its only for one corner, a corner soo fast and dangerous someone has actually been killed at it, there is justification for it imo.
Green flag drops at 2:16 PM EST (18:16 GMT) (1 hour 45 min)

Keeping an eye of the #6 car today with Ricky Stenhouse Jr. at the wheel. He's making his 3rd career Sprint Cup Series start. He finished 9th in the Coke 600 in 2011 in the Wood Brothers #21 and 20th in this year's Daytona 500 in his only 2 career starts. He starts 17th today.

Also note that every race in which he's started he's finished on the lead lap. Every race he's started finished under a green-white-checkered flag

Starting Line-Up: http://www.nascar.com/races/cup/2012/29/data/lineup.html
Racebuddy: http://www.nascar.com/multimedia/webcast/racebuddy/
Live MRN (Radio) Broadcast: http://www.motorracingnetwork.com/stream.html
Grats to Brad. Dodge should stay in NASCAR
Quote from DieKolkrabe :Dodge should stay in NASCAR

This. They get around 4 miles more on fuel per run and aren't down on speed. Really they have the best engines with that considered . Oh, and their proposed 2013 car looked sweet

http://aol.sportingnews.com/na ... 14-espn-tnt-nbc-cbs-speed

Seems like NBC may want to compete for the NASCAR rights for 2014 FOX is locking up the 2014 and beyond rights however... I'm happy with network TV covrage.. but FOX.. eh... it's better than TNT I guess
Anything's better than TNT. And ESPN but that's another story.

Put me in a time machine, take me back to the 80s/90s ESPN...that was the real ESPN, not today's craptastic one
Fox isn't the best, but its the best to choose from.
IndyCar on NBC > FOX > ABC (ESPN) > TNT > ABC IndyCar

http://www.al.com/sports/index ... testing_shows_the_di.html

Quote :"It moves around a lot more than the other car and that creates great racing," Kahne said. "It's the runs you can get, the way we could move around and pass without pushing, that's what I liked most about the car."

2013 cars were tested at Talledega today for the first time on a plate track in the draft, and this sounds great to me. Makes me more excitied for the 2013 Daytona 500 . Maybe one driver will actually be able to win a race without somebody's help now. Also they are pushing with less area and thus it is less stable to push. Oh, and the cars are a little more aerodynamic than the old ones too
Quote from Cornys :IndyCar on NBC > FOX > ABC (ESPN) > TNT > ABC IndyCar

Wally, no thanks.

Quote :
Oh, and the cars are a little more aerodynamic than the old ones too

I'm not 100% sure what you mean, but if you're saying they produce more downforce then they are then more downforce dependent. If so, then that's going the wrong way.
Quote from Cornys :IndyCar on NBC > FOX > ABC (ESPN) > TNT > ABC IndyCar

If you start bringing in other series I would add ALMS on ESPN3 to the top of it
Penske 12 at tally test hmmm on the ford also, hornish or dinger?
Quote from PMD9409 :I'm not 100% sure what you mean, but if you're saying they produce more downforce then they are then more downforce dependent. If so, then that's going the wrong way.

Well, they aren't as boxy. They likely have about the same downforce numbers but they should cut through the air better than this years car which is almost completely a box in the front.

Wally could be better, but is still better than DW . KP and Wally together along with the terrible producing kills TNT.

I've never seen ALMS on ESPN 3 so I can't really say anything about it. Just went with what I was familiar with

2012 Nascar Thread for Rednecks
(1589 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG